Towing with 4 Cyl

Author
fisher1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 0
2022/02/10 10:36:03 (permalink)

Towing with 4 Cyl

Hi all.  Looking for thoughts on towing with a 4 cylinder.  

Ive always towed boats with an 8 cylinder SUV.  But my job location has changed and I am driving much farther so I bought a small 4 cylinder (no frills Hyundai Tucson).  I have a little fishing boat (14 ft starcraft/18hp Nissan) and am wondering if I can get away with towing it with the Tucson.  Getting sick of using my wifes vehicle every time I want to go out.

Looks like the towing capacity is 1,000.  I'm sure my little boat/trailer is lighter than that but wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience before burning up my transmission.

Anyone?

14 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9685
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/10 11:39:49 (permalink)
    I personally wouldn't.  You will beat up the transmission, brakes and other on your Tucson.  Especially if it is newer and not a third car.  If it is something you don't mind beating up too much, then a little different.  1000lb towing limit is an extremely light tow rating.  That means that they built the vehicle with no intentions at all of towing.  Your boat, trailer and motor might not weigh that much, but your added gear likely has you at the limit.  Check out your gross vehicle weight rating as well, if you would consider putting all gear in your car and pulling the boat.  If you are moving it from a dry dock space to a launch that is 1/4 mile away or less, you could probably do.  I personally wouldn't do anything beyond that.  Especially with the cost of fixing issues that it could cause or having to replace a vehicle in the current market.

I used to do the same with my wife on the tow vehicle.  She couldn't even drive my car at the time (manual transmission), so kind of stuck her without a vehicle...  That didn't last long and I bought something that was able to tow.  If she can drive the Tuscon while you are fishing, it is probably best.
    post edited by Porktown - 2022/02/10 11:45:33
    fisher1
    New Angler
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/10 13:18:23 (permalink)
    Appreciate your input.  Better safe than sorry.  Thanks for the reply.
    Irisheyeball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 466
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/10 14:46:10 (permalink)
    I think a rear drive 4-cyl vehicle would probably be ok, bu not the fwd Tuscon.  I had an old rear drive 4-cyl minivan that was an excellent tow vehicle.
    CTKsnowman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/10 16:51:16 (permalink)
    I towed a 14' boat with a Subaru Forester a few times. Never had an issue, but I'm sure it looked funny to other motorists.  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
    - Dale Gribble
    fisher1
    New Angler
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/11 07:21:52 (permalink)
    I appreciate everyones input.  Might bite the bullet and think about shoppiing for a slightly beefier suv/truck once (if) this crazy vehicle maket improves.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/11 08:12:15 (permalink)
    A lot of cars have owner forums.  Search around and you will probably find one for the Tucson.  There might be some (hopefully simple and not too expensive) modifications that you can do to make it a tow vehicle without worrying too much about damaging it or being a hazard to others (being able to safely stop the trailer).  Do a search of what many vehicle's "tow package" include.  Larger brakes and a transmission cooler are two that come to mind.  I am pretty sure U-Haul and others sell/install the transmission coolers and imagine the Tucson forums would show you what swap to do on the brakes if people do.  Your Tucson should have more than enough power to pull something twice the weight.  Most modern 4 cylinders make as much HP as v6s and v8s of the past.  It is the other things that you would need to worry about that aren't made to handle the extra weight.  Many vehicles have a tow rating that goes up significantly if your trailer has brakes.  Not sure how expensive it would be to add the brakes to your trailer (would need to add the correct electrical harness to your Tucson too. 
    jfel5472
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/11 08:25:26 (permalink)
    I personally use a 4 Cyl AWD Chevy Equinox to tow my 18ft Lund Alaskan. Its an older one being an 89 so its on the lighter side only weighting in at 436lb(Lund 89 catalog weight). Given trailer weight (single axle), just a rough guess but probably another 300-400lbs(could be wrong). At the ramp I put my emergency brake on when unloading so I don't rip my transmission apart shifting gears out of park to drive. Just my two cents, it would be nicer to have a v6 I feel though.
    jfel5472
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/11 08:26:33 (permalink)
    My Equinox also has a 1,500lb tow capacity.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/11 10:09:57 (permalink)
    When I worked in the boat business many, many years ago, this was a very frequently asked question.

The answer was so much “can your vehicle tow the boat, but, more importantly, can your vehicle stop towing the boat, particularly in a panic or emergency situation.”

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/11 11:24:07 (permalink)
    I would think another variable is where you live and were you are fishing.  Western PA goes from pretty flat in the NW section to pretty steep grade heading East or even much of the SW.  Especially off of the interstate roads, where many of those mountain lake access roads can be extremely steep.  I personally haven't taken my boat to Yough Lake, for that very reason.  I have a 5000lb tow rating, but I imagine after a trip or two, I would need new brake pads and rotors.  If you are in a relatively flat area and staying in that flat area, that would be in your favor.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/12 13:06:40 (permalink)
    I would have no qualms about towing a boat that small with the Tucson. Doesn't matter if 4WD, FWD, or AWD. The motor is most likely a 2.4L or better, unless turbocharged, where it may be smaller. The 2.4L will do a fine job. The only thing about todays vehicles are the transmissions what with 8, 9, and 10 speed automatics, but if equipped with a 6 speed, and being a Hyundai, it's likely a tranny made by Aisin, and is a very good unit. The vehicles stock brakes should be more than adequate to stop under normal conditions. If you help the vehicle out when descending or pulling steep hills by manually downshifting then upshifting the trans, you should be fine for the life of the vehicle. Manual downshifting doesn't hurt anything 'cause electronic controls won't let it slam into a lower gear if going too fast. Additionally, it's not like you're draggin' that trailer everywhere you go. 

BTW, vehicles like the Equinox, Forester, Jeep Cherokee, etc. are primarily front wheel drive vehicles with an automatic coupling clutch for the rear differential. In bad road conditions when wheels might spin, you probably will never notice that the rear diff came in and then went back out. Control modules are reading the ABS sensors to determine wheel slip. If it's a little older vehicle like the Jeep Compass or Patriot, it may be equipped with a 4WD switch which, when engaged, simply locks the rear clutch in.

Tight lines!
    post edited by EMitch - 2022/02/12 13:15:36

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    JerryS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/13 17:30:03 (permalink)
    A big issue with a fwd tow vehicle is at the boat ramp.  While launching is easy, problems can occur when pulling your trailer/boat up a steep, wet, and often slimy ramp. The angle of the vehicle removes much of the weight off the front tires causing them to slip.  Although probably not an issue with a 14ft aluminum boat.  
    SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 403
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/14 10:26:18 (permalink)
    My buddy (Spoon Chucker) would tow his (think) 21' bayliner fiberglass with the little Toyota tacoma. I was surprised how well that little bugger did and it surprisingly stopped good. Hed also haul loads of metal for me with it. I was a fan of those, but, atleast his was a little beast.

As someone else said, sometimes going isn't the problem, stopping is. Kind of like driving in the winter, if u can go, can u stop. Dad had a couple people at his shop always needing brakes and wouldn't listen to the reason.

Another thing is suspension. Need something decent so u don't get that woop dee woop feeling. In most cases a set of air shocks will help.

Smitty

Member since prior to Aug 2001. My profile on the side got messed up.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Towing with 4 Cyl 2022/02/14 11:01:31 (permalink)
    I had a Toyota pickup, before they called them the Tacoma.  They have a surprisingly high towing capacity for a 4 cylinder (3500lbs).  Their GVW/payload is really high too.  A modern small SUV is more like a car with more storage.  Putting more emphasis on comfort of everyday driving.  Those small Toyota trucks are built to be actual small trucks, to take abuse, much stiffer suspension and brakes made to load it up.  Probably the same or possibly less HP than most small SUV's.  The 4 cyl. 22RE engine is known to be one of the most reliable engines of all time.  The Tacoma, prior to this recent used car bubble, was consistently the highest resale value truck around.  I wanted a Tacoma crew cab V6, but the 2 year old models with 30k-40k were selling for slightly less than the brand new.  Most other cars drive off the lot and lose 15%.  Toyota over engineers those little beasts.
    Jump to: