Helpful ReplyInflation rate

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2298
  • Reward points: 0
2021/12/03 14:06:09 (permalink)

Inflation rate

I find it hard to believe that the rate of inflation bandied about seems to be between 5 and 6%. The price of groceries alone in a lot of instances have risen closer to 30%. Fuel, home heating oil, etc. Latest bill from Penelec, guess what, rate went up. No end in sight to any of this. Tough for an ol' codger like me to keep pace on a fixed income. Anyone else have anything they would like to add to the list of things that they noticed that have gone up in price? I heard it said that what goes up, must come down, but I ain't a holden my breath.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/03 14:13:34 (permalink)
Elections have consequences Let's go Brandon.Its only going to get worse!
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4759
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/03 14:41:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby genieman77 2021/12/03 19:23:49
5 or 6 percent is the tier 1 inflation rate — at the consumer level.

The tier 2 rate, is at the wholesale level and a few weeks ago it was projected at 10-12 percent.

Tier 3 rate, the transportation and warehousing level, was in excess of 20 percent.

This was a few weeks ago, so perhaps the higher rates at tier 2 and 3 are starting to work their way into tier 1.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 462
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/03 15:19:15 (permalink)

Gas, Bacon, Houses, Computer components, dog food. 

Demand goes up, prices go up.

ICE NUT
Elections have consequences Let's go Brandon.Its only going to get worse!

drawde
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/03 16:14:37 (permalink)
Gasoline is up 60% from a year ago.  Air is the only thing that doesn't require gasoline to get to the consumer.  Common sense.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2448
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/03 19:44:21 (permalink)
DeadGator401

too dumb to understand economics...
but "demand" to me would mean there are way more dogs and bacon eaters now compared to 2019.

what we (the world) did was fkup the world with our reaction.
the result of which reduced supply .
Now hand out trillions to keep from world financial collapse

and I don't GAS who is in office, we're screwed 

..L.T.A. 
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/03 23:42:44 (permalink)
genieman77
DeadGator401

but "demand" to me would mean there are way more dogs and bacon eaters now compared to 2019.

..L.T.A. 

Bigfoot asked if anyone would like to add to the list of things that have gone up in prices. 
I mentioned the things I've seen. You call me dumb for answering the question, and give me your opinion of what demand means. Cool.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/04 00:46:45 (permalink)
DeadGator401
genieman77
DeadGator401

..L.T.A. 

Bigfoot asked if anyone would like to add to the list of things that have gone up in prices. 
I mentioned the things I've seen. You call me dumb for answering the question, and give me your opinion of what demand means. Cool.

Oh ya, both our dogs have health issues and are on prescription food and meds. Both the food and meds went up in price and sometimes the food and meds weren’t available and substitutions had to be made.

genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2448
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/04 08:13:09 (permalink)
DeadGator401
 You call me dumb for answering the question,

I re-read it, I see why/how you interpreted like that.
apologies 

I didn't call you dumb
I called ME dumb

My point was, it's not so much demand up (on most stuff) as supply down

..L.T.A.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8525
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/04 12:36:50 (permalink)
Oil prices are $67/barrel, down from $84. That will take care of a lot of inflation that is a domino effect from it. It is discouraging that most gas suppliers/stations aren’t passing along the savings, or we would be much further along in lowering the inflation rate. It will end up going up again at some point. OPEC does not like the talk of energy independence or switch to clean energy, so will slow production and raise the costs to get theirs when they can.

Supply chains are catching up, but likely take another year to get back to normal, dependent on covid. Hopefully this new strain is keeping people out of hospitals and missing work. That will be huge on how it effects the economy and government response. If it has morphed into a mild flulike virus, it will be the best news, having less businesses short staffed to ramp up production, freeing up the supply chain.

We need to learn from this, to stop relying on China for so many items. I know it won’t happen with the incompetency of our two party bickering idiots, but is a prime opportunity to help set up some of these industries in places like El Salvador, Honduras or Mexico. Kill 5 birds with one stone. Get decent paying jobs in those countries to keep them from further disintegrating into the drug gang cesspools they are turning more and more into. Having their citizens fleeing here and their criminals smuggling their poisons here. Help pull these neighbors of ours out of the third world and it solves many of the problems they cause us.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/04 23:09:24 (permalink)
genieman77
DeadGator401
 You call me dumb for answering the question,

I re-read it, I see why/how you interpreted like that.
apologies 

I didn't call you dumb
I called ME dumb

My point was, it's not so much demand up (on most stuff) as supply down

..L.T.A.

No worries. 

My wife was pregnant for most of 2021. She alone drove up the price of bacon.
bigfoot
DeadGator401
genieman77
DeadGator401

..L.T.A. 

Oh ya, both our dogs have health issues and are on prescription food and meds. Both the food and meds went up in price and sometimes the food and meds weren’t available and substitutions had to be made.

Dog meds are a joke anyways. My **** vet refused to sign off on some prescriptions for Chewy to fill, at 30% of the price they had it for. 

If you haven't checked it out yet, seriously recommend Chewy.com. They ship fast, great prices, and fantastic customer service. 

On an unrelated note, my wife found the heartguard for my dog today, saw it was actually Ivermectin  - gave me a good laugh.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3755
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/05 08:28:32 (permalink)
Umm....much closer to human dosages too......just sayin.  Yeah, humans do take it in prescription form too.....
bigfoot
Pro Angler
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/05 10:52:20 (permalink)
Porktown
Oil prices are $67/barrel, down from $84. That will take care of a lot of inflation that is a domino effect from it. It is discouraging that most gas suppliers/stations aren’t passing along the savings, or we would be much further along in lowering the inflation rate. It will end up going up again at some point. OPEC does not like the talk of energy independence or switch to clean energy, so will slow production and raise the costs to get theirs when they can.

Supply chains are catching up, but likely take another year to get back to normal, dependent on covid. Hopefully this new strain is keeping people out of hospitals and missing work. That will be huge on how it effects the economy and government response. If it has morphed into a mild flulike virus, it will be the best news, having less businesses short staffed to ramp up production, freeing up the supply chain.

We need to learn from this, to stop relying on China for so many items. I know it won’t happen with the incompetency of our two party bickering idiots, but is a prime opportunity to help set up some of these industries in places like El Salvador, Honduras or Mexico. Kill 5 birds with one stone. Get decent paying jobs in those countries to keep them from further disintegrating into the drug gang cesspools they are turning more and more into. Having their citizens fleeing here and their criminals smuggling their poisons here. Help pull these neighbors of ours out of the third world and it solves many of the problems they cause us.

What a great post. Read in a couple times . In regard to China its my understanding that a lot of our medications are produced there, antibiotics being one of the primary one. 😳 YIKES. Never gave much thought to industries in Central America countries. Wonder why we just can’t ramp up production here? Seems to me we have the resources and people already available to accomplish it. Oh, breaking away from subject at hand but if ya want a laugh listen to this. I have to get my Medicare card updated. Called this past Friday. Got a recording. Said my wait time was SIX hours. Needless to say I hung up. Went to web page, put in my current correct info and was informed that the card number I entered was wrong. Had card in my hand and typed in exactly as it was on there. Back to square one. Try again tomorrow.
post edited by bigfoot - 2021/12/05 11:47:29

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/05 12:19:39 (permalink)
Hopefully they can figure it out for you, without waiting 6 hours! Does Medicare have offices like SSA? Or does SSA run Medicare? Those are some interesting offices to visit. They are one of our clients. Their waiting rooms make Walmart look like an Ivy League convention. Not sure where some of these people come from.

Our stooge politicians would never approve any sort of legislation that would help create jobs outside of the US. That would be attacking the root of a problem. If it isn’t a bandage that “addresses” that is a byproduct of the root cause, they aren't interested. “What about jobs here at home”??? “Keep those immigrants out”…. Well…. Who here isn’t taking generic drugs? Paying each line worker in an American factory a livable wage, doesn’t allow for those generic prices. Paying those line workers $4-$5/hr, keeps the prices down and happens to be a high pay for countries in Central America. They aren’t looking to come here and work on farms or constructions sites, making $4-$5/hr and living off the grid trying to hide from the government.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/05 20:10:38 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Umm....much closer to human dosages too......just sayin.  Yeah, humans do take it in prescription form too.....

Sweet bruddah - you want to sling some for me? I can cut you a deal, last month of 2021, and all of 2022 for the cost of 12 months. That's a bakers dozen!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3755
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/06 09:32:42 (permalink)
Meat flavored....kind of like dried out, tough, jerky....not nearly as good as "Old Trapper" but edible.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Inflation rate 2021/12/09 09:33:12 (permalink)
Sort of relating to inflation, not really, but a way to hopefully save some money for someone?  I just learned this yesterday and worked for me.  Maybe it will help others that didn't know?

The wife asked for wireless head phones for Christmas among other things.  She doesn't like the airpod style that go in the ears, me either (so I have a feeling that I may be borrowing these a bit)...  I did the research and got her some nicer noise canceling ones that were coming up on certain publications "best (under a certain amount... )" and highly rated by other customers.  I did not go with the $300+ ones, since she is not at all an audiophile, but didn't go with the cheapos.  I searched everywhere for the best price.  Mostly the same price everywhere.  So, I ordered from a popular online company.  Like anything now days my search engine picked up that I was looking for these (and just about everything that I am thinking???) and flashed an add for a good bit cheaper a few days later...  I checked it out to make sure not refurb and seemed to be the same new price everywhere, so some sort of manufacturer wide sale price.  I tried to cancel my order but too late.  I searched around and found that there is a sort of unspoken price guarantee for some items.  I went into the "refund" section and typed a short message with "partial refund" at the beginning.  Explained that they are now cheaper everywhere and that I planned on returning as soon as it shipped and repurchasing, that the partial refund would save them on shipping and possibly having to sell as refurbished.  They agreed and refunded me the difference.  Hopefully they didn't hurry up and switch out my new ones for refurbished ones!  Ha, ha.  Pretty sure they were already in transit though.

Jump to: