FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film

Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3690
  • Reward points: 0
2021/09/17 07:26:23 (permalink)

FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film

Looks like the surfer will be alright....crazy video. 

https://www.instagram.com...4f37-9532-7bd798dd46bb

12 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8366
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 07:49:37 (permalink)
    You would have to be flat out stupid to be surfing from VA to FL Atlantic coast right now. The mullet run is in full effect. The amount of bait in waist high water makes it unsafe to wade right now. Splashing your arms and legs off of a surfboard is like calling sharks in. I saw that video on the news a day or so ago. News should have mentioned the amount of bait and why those sharks are there, and yeah, you are stupid if you swim in or near a huge school of baitfish…

My work and kids schedules don’t allow me to take vacation right now, but would love to take a week to hit the FL mullet run. Check out YouTube videos if you have never seen. It is insane. Assateaque has a smaller run that I fished before, but timing that one is not as easy and nowhere near as thick as down south. Now and the next month are on fire from NC south. Anyone that has work or kids sports taking them down there, don’t even debate to take gear. This is one of those windows that anyone can catch some nice fish.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 07:59:32 (permalink)
    Never fished the mullet run on the east coast but did get to witness/fish the croaker run on South Padre Island.  Bulls, blacktips and spinners were beaching themselves chasing the croaker in the wade gut.  One cast net throw of my small 3.5' cast net, and I had close to 100#'s of croaker...let most go, of course but kept a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch in it for bait.  These were all eater size croaker too (think big time crappie size, just way firmer flesh).

Cut one in half or, keep it live but clip a fin or make it bleed a little, rig it with a 16/0 or 20/0 circle and freeline it in the deeper sections of wade gut or first gut and hooked up within a minute.  Thing was, no steel leader, they wouldn't hit it in the clear water....so, lots of breakoffs...but fun fishing.  

We didn't do much swimming that day.  None of the sharks were really big, 4 and 5 footers, but they could have taken a decent chunk out of ya if they got ahold of you good.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 09:19:23 (permalink)
    Croaker are great eats, kind of hard to get all of the bones out though.  They seem to have more of those pin bones or whatever they are along the lateral line than other fish.  When I lived in the DC area, fisherman's wharf would fry them whole and had to pick the fish off.  Those were so good.  Although, I prefer boneless, so I can gorge myself like a pig!

I imagine the sharks during that croaker run are even more dangerous, going after larger prey and likely going in a bit more forceful and less putting on the breaks for something large in their way.  The mullets are all different sizes, but I think the majority are the finger size.  So, I imagine a little easier for sharks to recognize you as something different.  Another thing to note, blue/light blue seems to be the color that many "mullet" poppers or other lures are painted.  I wonder if this kid's blue shirt made it even harder for that shark to realize.  I wouldn't doubt he has a silver necklace on too...  They should really put that on every surfboard packaging.  Just like the "warning: smoking causes cancer" labels on cigarettes.  Don't surf in morning or evening.  Don't surf during annual baitfish migrations.  Don't wear certain colors or flashy objects.  Those three alone would cut these incidents in half, if not more.

Just about every mullet from NE south, migrates out of the back sounds/bays/ICW and heads to Florida.  Then head East to the gulfstream to spawn.  I imagine it is insane when they make it to the gulfstream.  The videos of the Florida surf fishing the mullet run are amazing.  Definitely on my todo list.  My work follows the Federal fiscal yearend of 30-Sept, so unable to take off time in September unless an emergency (which this might be)...  Kids sports schedules seem to get more insane as they get older too.  Getting them on their busses at the crack of dawn is mandatory too or would sleep until noon!  So unlikely I will be participating in this run for another 10 years.  By then, I am hoping to have a place of my own to visit or live in, within easy access.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1227
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 10:59:07 (permalink)
    I lived in Florida most of the 70s fish most of the piers from Flagler to Port Orange. Rare was a day when the weren't sharks swimming around, even caught some nice 6 and 7 footers. Won't put my feet in the surf.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 11:56:03 (permalink)
    Blacktip breeding grounds there Jigs, especially closer to Ponce Inlet.  Pretty sure the boy in the video got bit in New Smyrna Beach.  The closer you are to the inlet, the more sharks.  Yet surfers love the jetty breaks there...  According to my cousin that lives down there, any Floridian with a brain, hasn't been bitten.  If you follow a few basic safety measures, your chances of getting bit are cut significantly.  Why many of the bites are out of state visitors, who either don't know any better or say "I'm here to surf, I am going to surf" no matter how murky the water or how much bait is swimming around.  Also the moron fisherman that wades/swims out to the second bar with a bloody fish chunk dangling right next to him on the way out...  If fishing cut bait, it should not hit the water until your cast lands.  Wash your hands off at the shore line, which down there is like 100 yards before the first trough.  I love that area.  I had a place slip through my hands at the beginning of this year.  Got to wait until the housing market crashes to look again.  Things took off like a rocket ship since.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2964
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 12:56:23 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 13:24:20 (permalink)
    That is insane! 

Are those sharks?  They look to have more rounded heads like some sort of jack.

Linesville of the Caribbean!  Or whatever nice clear water place that is.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1227
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 14:55:51 (permalink)
    Used to fish the Ponce a lot. It's always the out of towners that hurt. I fresh water fished with some locals. They don't get put of the water for anything,  gators or snakes. I just got rid of some land outside of Burnell in Flager cou ty about 6 years ago.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/17 19:39:16 (permalink)
    I’m terrified of the fresh water down there! Gators are everywhere. Even in the ICW. Awesome fishing all through that area. St John’s River (and lakes) are loaded with big fish. I take it you have seen the Blue Springs Park? Tarpon stacked up there like steelhead at the stop sign hole, but instead of yellow rope toting muperes, it is filled with manatees. Some look identical to the muperes though.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4072
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/18 17:29:15 (permalink)
    Gators are wimps been on the yak in the swamps/freshwater on trips. Good whack on the snot with the paddle if they get to curious. Its the one you dont see is the one to worry bout even then they tend to shy off 🙃

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/18 18:25:45 (permalink)
    Yak and wading are completely different. I’d have not issues kayaking with gators. I’ve seen too many videos of guys fishing from the bank and gators sneak up. Not thanks being waist deep with that.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: FL surfer bit by shark, caught on film 2021/09/18 22:24:11 (permalink)
    I was always way more scared of gators than sharks.  Sharks will bite and let u go most times.  Gators, not so much....until maybe they take your arm or leg with them during the death roll....

Does get your blood pumping during a sunrise wade and you see an 8-10 footer swimming between you and the shoreline....
    Jump to: