Buffalo Creek

Author
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1164
  • Reward points: 0
2021/07/27 22:55:12 (permalink)

Buffalo Creek

Anybody ever fish Buffalo Creek in the summer? I’m thinking about wading the section upstream from Winfield junction.

I know they stock trout upstream in a DHALO section up by craigsville, but I’m more interested in bass or any other gamefish that might be in the deeper pools. All the stockies are probably dead by now anyway.

Is it worth my time?

5 Replies Related Threads

Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re: Buffalo Creek 2021/07/28 06:39:03 (permalink)
    Yeah I have done real well on smallmouths in the summer on buffalo.
    Sruschak
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Buffalo Creek 2021/07/28 08:02:43 (permalink)
    Buffalo is underrated. I've caught smallmouth, walleye, sauger, channel cats, trout, all in one outing. Try hiking upstream from W Winfield Road Bridge. It is very wild with lots of nice holes. I've even seen a bear up there while fishing.
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re: Buffalo Creek 2021/07/29 17:44:52 (permalink)
    Moses Guthrie
    Yeah I have done real well on smallmouths in the summer on buffalo.

What section of the creek do you recommend? The other day I walked about a half mile or so near Monroe along the bike trail, just below where little buffalo creek dumps into it. I got two bass and I missed a couple (might have to throw smaller baits than what I'm used to). It was decent, but I don't know if I'd go back to that area.

I was wondering if there might be better water upstream tho. From my office, its a pretty straight shot out 28 if I feel like fishing for a couple hours before dark after work. Looks like there is access upstream off Sarver road and 3004, W Winfield road, Hogg and Wilson road (near a place called "Yellow Dog"), Craigsville... and maybe even more upstream from that. Any of that stuff worth a look?

jfel5472
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Buffalo Creek 2021/07/31 08:26:17 (permalink)
    I've talked to some locals up in Buffalo while fishing the Niagara and they say it can be hit or miss. The creek looks awesome though!
    snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 369
    Re: Buffalo Creek 2021/07/31 20:39:44 (permalink)
    i’ve lived 10-20 minutes from those areas you mention for 20 years and of my friends/acquaintances who at least regularly fish for smallmouth i’ve never heard one mention it is a good or great place to go for smallmouth. ridiculously popular trout stream though.

i fish it several times a year for trout with my sons. we have also tried several stretches for smallmouth with not much to show for the effort. some 10-12” fish and not a lot of them.

there are probably stretches that hold better numbers and some bigger fish further downstream towards freeport and i have talked to some anglers who speak of rare 18-20” fish.

there are a ton of access points both directly north and south of sarver road off of north and south scenic drives. where wilson crosses the stream is beautiful looking water and you can park there and walk quite a good distance up or down stream. at the very least, at this time of year you’d probably have the water to yourself and lots of room to roam and find the type of water you like.
    Jump to: