• Reward points: 0
2007/04/17 08:46:45 (permalink)

response

9 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: response 2007/04/17 10:01:38 (permalink)
    I have no response. It's rainy and dreary still. I'm bored stiff, and ran out of interior work. Hopefully it will warm up next week to get some exterior work done.

Planning on hitting Lake George this weekend for some salmon/lake trout action. Or maybe just a local lake for the crappie spawn.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: response 2007/04/17 17:11:23 (permalink)
    hook  you are bored?.. me too! but as much as i'm bored and trying to keep busy, i'm wondering why is it other forums are full of messages and this forum is limited to me you and very few others?  floodimg should have everybody busy i guess..good fishing lake george.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: response 2007/04/18 18:28:49 (permalink)
    HLS:
    LG is still ice locked as of yesterday
    a very , i mean very few ponds have opened
    depending how far North you go, LG has 6-8" snow
    speculator has 8-12"

right now everthing is in waiting mode
    the 29' bayliner was put in the Hudson sat & taken out in the snow on sunday
    were are going to try again this weekend.......
    the trout streams are all blown out, but the brooks will clear fast if you go to the high ground
    here is the Taghkanic Creek

back to waiting:
    Turkeys are driving me crazy
    watching them strut every day thinking one more week......

with a wilderness trip planned for the 2nd week in may i think i'll do a little scouting  this weekend

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: response 2007/04/18 20:50:39 (permalink)
    Thanks Tuna. I'd hate to have took a trip up for nothing. I actually was at Lake Moreau today. There was still some ice remaining, but plenty of open water to fish. There was a guy working there that told me he saw plenty of rainbows rising yesterday. I saw no signs of life today. This yim yam also told me there were 10lb+ rainbows in the lake. I just nodded and went on my way after that. I highly doubt such a small lake could grow them to that size. 
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: response 2007/04/18 21:12:02 (permalink)
    Nice pic tuna. I know that the creeks around the Sacandaga Reservior were very fishable last w/e and Id venture that they will be fishable, yet high this upcomming w/e. The west Canada is dropping and should also be fishable by 4-20. The Kaydeross is a touch below flood leval, thats good for the fish and it keeps the worm-burners away for a while, but with the upcomming nice weekend you can expect to see everybody and their mothers dunking salted minnows and worms at every pull-off. I guess if you walk a bit or know of any secret stretch you could escape the crowds. Id rather fish the reservior tribs, at least untill the parking areas thin out.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: response 2007/04/19 07:27:25 (permalink)
    tuna that looks like an awesome BKT spot! yeah, today still alot of low lying n.j.towns inundated with flooding rivers. Isn't it ironic "the garden state" lol i can't wait to get out of this place nothing new about gray old ugly jersey and all "the garden state" turned to corporate head quarters and low income developments and gated condo waistland..lol enjoy your opener and have a safe one! won't be long before i slip in a jethro tull cd and head up in my neck of the woods for some serious fishing.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: response 2007/04/19 18:58:41 (permalink)
    that creek is a native brown fishery
    brookies can't handle the heat there
    it's 4 miles off a county highway on a 1 lane dirt road
    if you travel farther east into the mts of Mass. brookies will become the native species

catskills and the bergs surround my area
    if i were to trout fish this weekend i would suggest the catskills in Windham & Hunter mt. area
    remember Art Flick ?
    they are clear but high now with improvement on the way.
    good reports from co-workers.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: response 2007/04/19 21:46:38 (permalink)
    schoharie i have visited and fished a few times over the years trying from shore around the resi for walleye.. never had much luck.. also that place is tough to trail in and if it's full pool there is no shore.. one needs a boat..i do not know much up stream but fished the river all along up to hunter mt. ski resort..i drove rt 30 through margretsvilles to and from pepacton and also bounced back and forth rt 42 through phoenicia along esopus to ashokan and know the creeks and feeders are good but never really knocked em dead. Catskill creek is out too far from my haunts and doubt it is as quality trout water but with the exception maybe some holdover stockies. My favorite catskills is along all the delaware below deposit,downsville and upstream from roscoe on the beaverkill its head waters even some on the willowemoc. I am predicting a tough year after so many 100 year floods on top one another. We also been experiencing some dogday summers too. i am still catching and releasing fish just not as many big natives in the streams.
    post edited by backin79 - 2007/04/19 22:21:24
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: response 2007/04/19 22:12:01 (permalink)
    i'm going to hit familiar headwaters closer my way this weekend and stay a few extra days next week got to work here this sat.:(.. it sure is scenic on schoharie creek though and i wish i had bucks to waiste on gas searching new pools especially that warm water br trout stream that looks cool. lol . however these days i kinda like let the fish come to me sortta speak. I remember doing circles around catskills weeks at a time pool hopping! I would drive from jersey up the thurway exit kingston rt28 fish ashokan res or chimney hole all the pools depend season fall or early spring and from there  decide to roundout over peekamoose or along esopus to margaretville to pepacton east to west branch hancock and to beaverkill to roscoe from there even the (but early season only)little willowemoc.  i have looked for all the available feeders inbetween the outskirts along this route many years over.
    Jump to: