Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8268
  • Reward points: 0
2021/04/29 14:25:27 (permalink)

NFL Draft 21

What do the Stillers do first round?

I am hopeful a trade out for a few more higher round picks.  Load up on 2nd-4th round O line and OLB & LB depth.  Their track record of drafting CBs early is horrendous, so fill any holes in free agency next year there.  They have a good enough secondary if they have a pass rush, which will be questionable losing Bud.  RBs are worthless without a competent line.  Drafting one of the top backs is just going to end their careers early.  Possibly do that next year after you have an O-line with experience.  No doubt they need an RB, but Najah Harris isn't Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson that could get you yards without a decent line.  He'll crush it on the right team, that team isn't the Stillers.

Ben not retiring is putting them years behind in the rebuild process.  They aren't winning with him playing behind this o-line, even if they get a starting capable tackle.  With them already starting backups any injury on the line will have them in shambles.  They should be in line for a good pick next year, likely for Ben's successor.  Hopefully that player has a solid O-line to play behind.

Bills and Browns fans on here have a lot more to look forward to this season.  At least Bills fans.  Browns will figure out ways to mess things up.  I can see some more exciting picks for those teams that pay off.  Harris to the Bills could have him grow into one of the better backs.  Steelers are wasting picks if they aren't looking at 3-4 years down the line.  Hopefully they aren't fooling themselves that they are playing for a championship this season.

30 Replies Related Threads

Irisheyeball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/29 16:15:51 (permalink)
    Address running attack with first three picks: Etienne, any number of excellent OL, and....the clincher, TE Tommy Tremble, the best blocking TE I’ve ever seen. I have this recurring image of Eric Ebron’s “ole” blocks down on the goal line. That said, Etienne will probably be gone by 24, so take Harris.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1952
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/29 17:18:31 (permalink)
    More importantly, what are the Browns going to do? Go Dawgs! 

BH
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2894
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/29 18:09:38 (permalink)
    Go Bills!  More help for Josh or edge rusher??   Hmmmmm...Stillers should draft a kicker in the first!
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/29 20:45:59 (permalink)
    3 quarterbacks picked 1st 3 picks.

BH
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/29 22:17:00 (permalink)
    Bs that Pats were able to get Mac Jones without having to trade up. He fits their system well. Bills have another year or two, then Pats will be the Pats again.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/29 23:21:41 (permalink)
    Booger McFarland agrees with me. Don’t matter how good Harris is, O line stinks. If they don’t draft 2nd and 3rd on the line, Tomlin might as well plan to retire next year.

When Ben leaves, having a dominate running game and defense is key for any sort of success until they find their next franchise QB. A dominant O line is a necessity for that, but a dominating RB helps.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 07:04:15 (permalink)
    Running backs are a dime a dozen...............
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/history-shows-high-priced-running-backs-may-not-be-a-part-of-super-bowl-winning-formula/
    I know this article states spending too much on a back isnt really a winning formula. But the point is, a great running back doesnt always equal a super bowl bid.
    How many of those running backs on the list do you recognize? Me, like 3.

BH
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 08:14:05 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Bs that Pats were able to get Mac Jones without having to trade up. He fits their system well. Bills have another year or two, then Pats will be the Pats again.

They will never be "the Pats of old" because Brady is gone forever.  They also need to replace other irreplaceable players like Edelman and Gronk.  Guys like that don't just fall off trees.  The Pats were never going to trade up for Jones...IMO. 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 08:43:39 (permalink)
    I agree with the overvaluing of RBs, but that article is a bit misleading.  I also agree with the RBs are a dime a dozen, to an extent.  The teams listed, besides the Broncos and Ravens, were throw first type teams and had/have elite level QBs.  Their money is invested in their QBs, WRs, TEs and O line (as well as great defenses).  Broncos and Ravens won due mostly to defense.  I think CJ Anderson was rookie deal, but Broncos always seem to do the dime a dozen thing and find some obscure RB from nowhere that tears it up, since their O line (when they do well) is stacked and just about any RB will do well.

The NFL rookie contracts have crushed the salaries of RBs and their value after the rookie contracts expire.  Usually after they are done with their rookie contract, most RBs don't have all that much left in them to warrant a high pay day like other positions.  There are not many RBs making much more than $2M base salary...  I think 2-3 years ago, a few started to get a bit more.

There are only so many elite QBs, the other teams have to attempt the Ravens/Broncos formula if they want to have a chance.

The Steelers seem to be doing that with the Harris pick, but to me, that pick should be in a year or two.  By the time the Steelers have the other pieces of the puzzle (dominant O line), Harris will be at the end of his rookie contract and ready to ship out.  I would have much rather seen them grab Teven Jenkins or trade out and really focus on the line.  They have an old QB and likely to replace with a rookie QB.  Don't you want to extend the life of your old QB and give your young QB a bit more time to make reads?  Hopefully next few rounds address this.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 08:45:56 (permalink)
    LDD
    Porktown

They will never be "the Pats of old" because Brady is gone forever.  They also need to replace other irreplaceable players like Edelman and Gronk.  Guys like that don't just fall off trees.  The Pats were never going to trade up for Jones...IMO. 

Brady didn't need Gronk or Edleman.  He was doing it with some lacrosse player and the next man up.  Not saying Jones will ever be Brady, but of all of the QBs available, he fits that classic pocket QB mold the best.  The Bills are done!  :)
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 09:28:22 (permalink)
    Porktown
    LDD
    Porktown

Brady didn't need Gronk or Edleman.  He was doing it with some lacrosse player and the next man up.  Not saying Jones will ever be Brady, but of all of the QBs available, he fits that classic pocket QB mold the best.  The Bills are done!  :)

No way NE is able to execute their expansive and perfect game plans over the years without players like Gronk and Edelman in the stable.  Also, having Brady on the roster is not only having the GOAT (puke in my mouth but it's true), it's also having one of the best offensive minds the game has seen (double mouth puke).  Mac Jones is the "old style" of successful QBs, immobile.  Who would be his present day comparative in the NFL who is highly successful and not named Tom Brady?  

Great pick by the Steelers...if it was 5 years ago.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 09:59:20 (permalink)
    No way NE is able to execute their expansive and perfect game plans without Randy Moss, oh wait, they did when he left.  Gronk went away, Patriots won.  Edelman hurt, Patriots won.  Branch went away, Patriots won.  They are bigger than any of their parts.  Did those guys help, sure.  But that team really played by the next man up approach and it worked.  Look how many RBs they went through, making them all star receivers out of the backfield and huge parts.  Next year it was a different one...

Brady, who is the GOAT, did one thing that NO other player with his talent level or close to (there are plenty).  He took less than fair market pay, but demanded that it went to get a dominant O-line and pay for his weapons.  Others on their team took less than market value to win as well.  If other teams did the same, they may find the same success.

As for Mac Jones and NE not giving up picks, etc.  I am not saying Jones will come close to Brady.  I just enjoy when NE has to give things up...  I would love to see that organization be the bottom of the barrel for decades to be honest.  Most other teams would have figured out a way to give up 3 draft picks to move up one spot, where that team didn't have any intention to select him...  NE not doing that was a win for them.  I hate seeing that team win at anything!
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 10:17:33 (permalink)
    Yeah, except I didn't say Moss,  I said Edelman and Gronk.  I agree that the Pats of old were "greater than any of their parts" but obviously the biggest PART of that machine was Brady.  Without the short game created by Gronk and especially Edelman, the Pats wouldn't have been able to execute their game plans and become a dynasty IMO. Teams had to continually account for those two in passing situations that ate up linebackers and safeties which opened up the running and screen game which was absolutely dominant.  Believe me, I watched them pick apart the Bills for years in that way.   Besides their line, which was full of perennial all-stars, Gronk and Edelman were staples of that offensive success.  Throw in a little cheating and BINGO!  Dark Dynasty! 
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 12:00:52 (permalink)
    One of the better moves last night I thought was Chicago moving up to grab Justin Fields.  He's always been in the shadow of Trevor Lawrence but he might be just as good.  He wins.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 12:19:02 (permalink)
    Edleman is/was good, but FAR from elite.  Gronk is special, but he proved to be replaceable when he was injured/retired.  Moss was 5 Edleman's put together.  When Edleman was out, they found whatever random white receiver or lacrosse player to replace him and got it done like he never existed.  There are at least 10 (closer to 20) WRs every year in the NFL that are better than Edleman.  They are just not playing for that system that wins and gets them the notoriety.  If he didn't play for the Pats, we likely wouldn't likely know his name and probably a short NFL career.

Look up the comparisons with him and Heinz Ward when people try to make the HOF argument.  It isn't even comparable, besides the fact that Brady and their system got them in the playoffs.  His post season numbers are obviously better than most, since Brady and their system had them in more playoff games.  Heinz Ward was good, but FAR from Julio Jones, AJ Green, Megatron, 85, Moss, Hill, Diggs, Brown or MANY others in his era.  Any of those guys on the Pats or many others besides Edleman and they are 10 time Super Bowl Champs.
    post edited by Porktown - 2021/04/30 12:23:05
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 12:21:20 (permalink)
    LDD
    One of the better moves last night I thought was Chicago moving up to grab Justin Fields.  He's always been in the shadow of Trevor Lawrence but he might be just as good.  He wins.  

I liked that move too.  Although he has some epilepsy issues that could lead to an unfortunately shorter career than he'd like.  Supposedly people can grow out of the form he has, so not as much of a concern.  But I imagine without those concerns, he is likely pick #2.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 13:29:45 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Edleman is/was good, but FAR from elite.  Gronk is special, but he proved to be replaceable when he was injured/retired.  Moss was 5 Edleman's put together.  When Edleman was out, they found whatever random white receiver or lacrosse player to replace him and got it done like he never existed.  There are at least 10 (closer to 20) WRs every year in the NFL that are better than Edleman.  They are just not playing for that system that wins and gets them the notoriety.  If he didn't play for the Pats, we likely wouldn't likely know his name and probably a short NFL career.

Look up the comparisons with him and Heinz Ward when people try to make the HOF argument.  It isn't even comparable, besides the fact that Brady and their system got them in the playoffs.  His post season numbers are obviously better than most, since Brady and their system had them in more playoff games.  Heinz Ward was good, but FAR from Julio Jones, AJ Green, Megatron, 85, Moss, Hill, Diggs, Brown or MANY others in his era.  Any of those guys on the Pats or many others besides Edleman and they are 10 time Super Bowl Champs.

Eh, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges with your receiver discussion.  Edelman was a slot guy and your list and Heinz Ward (puke) are mostly all #1 guys.  Edelman's game was the slant, indefensible curl, pick plays, rubs,  etc...and his route running was absolutely superior.  He was a high catch rate/low yards per catch player that constantly picked up first down yardage.  I don't disagree with your "better than Edelman" statement about overall receivers but I disagree with the idea that anyone could do what he did.  He was really good for awhile in NE.  

I don't get your "replaceable" comment about Gronk?  There was certainly a hole in their lineup when he was injured.  That's not to say that they couldn't "find another way" in the passing or running game to make up for some yards but it certainly wasn't some other huge man freak running seam routes and smash blocking in the running game that they magically found to replace Gronk when he was hurt.  There's only a handful of guys in the league, ever, at that position that can stand with Gronk (puke).  God! Look what you're making me do?!  I hate these people...ENOUGH! 

As far as Ward goes...biggest cheap shot artist to ever play the WR position.  I could never stand that guy.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 13:53:17 (permalink)
    LDD
    That's not to say that they couldn't "find another way" in the passing or running game to make up for some yards 

That is exactly what I am trying to say about the Pats!!!  They always found another way, no matter who they lost (besides Brady).  Although Jimmy Garoppolo did rather well when called upon and cashed in well from it.

When Edelman was out, they found guys to be the slot option or leaned on White/Lewis more.  He is a great slot guy, which takes a good bit less skill than beating the #1 CB on all sorts of routes, from quick to long developing.  Most #1 WRs will occasionally line up in the slot, but rarely if ever given the mismatch that many slot guys get.  Slot guys are often asked to take on the #3 CB, FS, SS or LB.  Why most slot guys never become #1 guys, unless lightning fast like Hill.

Unless you have Kelce, Gates in his prime or Gonzalez in his prime, you are not replacing Gronk.  He is arguably the best ever, if not top 5 for sure.  But they filled in with guys that did rather well.  They weren't Gronk, but the team won.  Because the Pats system seemed to be able to adjust like no other teams could.  A lot to do with Brady, but also a lot to do with an O-line that gave him more time than most and a defense that rarely let other teams get beyond striking distance.

LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 13:57:04 (permalink)
    "Some" yards, not "All" the yards.    
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 14:09:48 (permalink)
    LDD
    God! Look what you're making me do?!  I hate these people...ENOUGH! 

I hear you on that!  I am having a hard time with how much my comments are basically complimenting Belichick...  I haven't come straight out and say it and I won't!  But as fans of the actual game, neither of us are blind.  I don't mean any disrespect to Edleman, I am sure you have seen way too many games where he singlehandedly ruined your day!  If Stillers in AFC East, I am sure that I'd likely be feeling the same.

Ward is a guy that you love if he is on your team, imagine even more so for the actual players, but fans here loved the guy.  You might call it cheap, but the vast majority of his cheap shots, were retaliating for teammates that got twice as bad from defenders.  He was like the NHL enforcer, but a pretty good receiver too.  He was prior to the huge concussion push too, where guys like the murderer Ray Lewis would lay licks on defenseless receivers that are no longer allowed.  It was nice having a guy that would make those guys looking over their shoulder if they decided to lay out a lick like that.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 14:11:35 (permalink)
    LDD
    "Some" yards, not "All" the yards.    

"Enough" yards...  

Or with our teams on the other end of it when those players out.  "Too many" yards...
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 14:18:00 (permalink)
    Porktown
    LDD
    God! Look what you're making me do?!  I hate these people...ENOUGH! 

I hear you on that!  I am having a hard time with how much my comments are basically complimenting Belichick...  I haven't come straight out and say it and I won't!  But as fans of the actual game, neither of us are blind.  I don't mean any disrespect to Edleman, I am sure you have seen way too many games where he singlehandedly ruined your day!  If Stillers in AFC East, I am sure that I'd likely be feeling the same.

Ward is a guy that you love if he is on your team, imagine even more so for the actual players, but fans here loved the guy.  You might call it cheap, but the vast majority of his cheap shots, were retaliating for teammates that got twice as bad from defenders.  He was like the NHL enforcer, but a pretty good receiver too.  He was prior to the huge concussion push too, where guys like the murderer Ray Lewis would lay licks on defenseless receivers that are no longer allowed.  It was nice having a guy that would make those guys looking over their shoulder if they decided to lay out a lick like that.

"Cheap" also used to be legal.  Not all are bad  Some I could just watch over and over again. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4OTH0pddv4

You're exactly right about Ward though, you only really like him if he's on your team.  

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 15:48:52 (permalink)
    I might search Ebay for a Clements jersey, just for that!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 20:12:03 (permalink)
    There isn’t going to be an O lineman left for the Stillers. Good luck Harris and Ben avoiding all of those guys in the backfield.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 20:59:49 (permalink)
    I am glad they didn’t reach on an O lineman. I really have no clue of who really is a reach, but seemed like teams were pulling O linemen on every other pick. I have to imagine the next few guys can be had in the third. Getting a good blocking TE is always good. PSU guy will have him a fan favorite.
    Irisheyeball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 21:17:04 (permalink)
    Stillers.....wrong TE!
    Should have picked Humphrey or Meinerz in 2nd and Tremble in 3rd. Then again, I don’t know much.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/04/30 23:04:52 (permalink)
    They obviously don’t feel their O line is as big of an issue as some of us do. At least they addressed in the 3rd.

They were really quick on Freiermuth, so guessing high on him. Most rankings that I have seen have him as #2 TE and around 50-55 pick ranking, but far behind Pits at #1. If he is more of a baby Heath than baby Gronk, that is fine. Ebron will be their more attacking TE this year and maybe for a few. Having Freiermuth as their more blocking guy until then is fine. To me, that is where they need the help.
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1287
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/05/01 09:15:41 (permalink)
    So far I like the STEELERS picks in the first 3 rounds. Now maybe they can draft a good edge rusher to replace Dupree and then get some depth on the O line. Maybe another DE or Tackle to play with Cam.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    Re: NFL Draft 21 2021/05/03 13:51:45 (permalink)
    Porktown
    They obviously don’t feel their O line is as big of an issue as some of us do. At least they addressed in the 3rd.

They were really quick on Freiermuth, so guessing high on him. Most rankings that I have seen have him as #2 TE and around 50-55 pick ranking, but far behind Pits at #1. If he is more of a baby Heath than baby Gronk, that is fine. Ebron will be their more attacking TE this year and maybe for a few. Having Freiermuth as their more blocking guy until then is fine. To me, that is where they need the help.

Steelers going for the sexy pick in round 2.  All the eggs are in the basket for this year...BEN's LAST STAND...literally.  They might be able to keep him upright.  

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: