Pellet grills ?

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2225
  • Reward points: 0
2021/04/28 10:15:01 (permalink)

Pellet grills ?

A couple people I know have bought pellet grills and told me how much they enjoy using them. I have been doing some web surfing comparing the various makes and models and it is a little confusing trying to figure out what would best suit my needs. Just me and the wife so I don't need a very large one but one equipped with a PID control might be a nice touch. Price range of no higher than $450.00. Any opinions?

"Three enemies of personal peace: regret over yesterday's mistakes, anxiety over tomorrow's problems, and ingratitude for today's blessings.:
William Arthur Ward

5 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3674
    Re: Pellet grills ? 2021/04/28 16:26:55 (permalink)
    Wish I can help you but I don't have one.  I can say, my SIL has one and her and her husband love it and use it all the time.  They have a larger Traeger. 
    From my friends in TX, several had Traegers but the auto feeders eventually gave out on many so there is that....sorry I can't be of more help.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8293
    Re: Pellet grills ? 2021/04/28 19:12:15 (permalink)
    My wife got me the Masterbuilt pellet grill from Sam’s Club two years ago. It was around $200, so a low end model and my only experience. I didn’t go higher end, since I had bought a $500 Broil King propane grill two years prior. My electric smoker motherboard went and figured that I’d give it a go.

Mine does not get hot enough to cook burgers and steak how I like them. Others do, so make sure it has a searing box or reaches the btu that will cook at high heat, if that is what you enjoy. I have to use both my propane and pellet to do some cooking, which is annoying, but works.

Mine is basically a poorly insulated smoker! I would avoid mine or the lower end models. Not sure what $450 will get you. I have two friends with Camp Chef models that seem to like them. Not sure what the price was on them.

Hope this helps.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2008
    Re: Pellet grills ? 2021/05/01 19:02:10 (permalink)
    If you don't plan on keeping under a roof/awning, which I guess in and of itself is ill advised, I'd be worried about the electronics going. I had an electric smoker years ago. About 4 hours into a brisket we had an unexpected downpour. It never worked again. The two people I know who currently own pellet smokers love them. I'll stick with wood/charcoal.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8293
    Re: Pellet grills ? 2021/05/01 20:24:14 (permalink)
    I left mine plugged in (not running) a few weeks ago in an overnight rain. Luckily it still works. Definitely something to consider. Any sort of long cook or just about any cook, you need to pay attention to the weather. Just about anything it going to take an hour minimum. Long cooks like brisket can be 8-10 hours.
    Abizaga
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Pellet grills ? 2021/08/21 14:17:07 (permalink)
    I've never been a stick burner. I started on an electric and "graduated" to a RecTec pellet a couple years ago. The pellet is leaps and bound above the electric and I honestly am not sure I see a real argument for an electric except maybe price?
    Frankly, I don't have the time or desire to tend to a fire. It also means I can smoke whenever I want because it takes minimal attention. For instance, we had a lunchtime birthday party at my house the other day. Having a pellet smoker means I could load the hopper with pellets, set the alarms on my phone app for both temperature fluctuations and my goal meat temp and drop the meat in the smoker. That was all I had to do and I could get a full night's sleep while getting to a very close facsimile of a "real" smoker. If I had to stay up all night or wake up multiple times over the evening to do it, I'm not sure I would have. I think pellet quality really matters though. A lot of pellets are stuffed with woods you don't care about. Lumberjack makes pure pellets and I prefer it.
    I think it gets pretty close to a real burner and the ease of use and relative independence makes it both easier and more likely I'm gonna use it. That's a win win to me.
    Jump to: