Helpful ReplyHot!Give me all your moneys

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3639
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/16 22:02:18 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
I like the Florida governor sipping beer with all the mask less spring breakers ....man I miss being young and dumb.

You mean the dummy governor that even the dems are now saying may have handled the virus response the best for his state?

A truckload of articles out there on this right now so no need to spoon feed....
post edited by eyesandgillz - 2021/03/17 13:13:54
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2727
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/17 08:40:01 (permalink)
He did it right- Similar with the Parochial and many private schools -they were open right along- no issues of note.
Dems love to control their minions-----
They will either drag out the 19 thing as long as possible or come up with another 'issue' requiring their complete control of our lives-
Folks wont put up with it again IMHO---
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8129
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/17 11:32:55 (permalink)
"Best" is subjective.  I really hope people aren't mistaking that for working throughout the country.  But there are still many cult members that believe Trump won the election, so dumber things are being believed in this country.  Don't you think a bit more challenging for states that have an actual winter though?  Florida had a huge spike, but yet, doesn't deal with what was noted almost IMMEDIATELY with this virus, that makes this disease spread (i.e. cold weather forcing people indoors).  Florida most likely would have had barely any cases/deaths if handled like the average northern GOP governor handled things.  

By far the largest amount of cases throughout the country came during this past winter, when people were stuck inside.  Does anyone here honestly think that an "open up everything" policy would have made things better in Dec/Jan in the north?  I am not saying at all that the governors up north got it right.  You can refer back to my messages in the fall of how I would have liked to see it handled.  But I don't think you can really blame Mike Dewine and others for handling how they did.  You can say what you want about the Dems, but all of the northern Reps had almost identical policies.  

Luckily this virus showed up (at least in mass) in the US last year at this time and not in Oct/Nov.  Our health professionals learned a lot rather quickly.  Unfortunately for NYC, they didn't learn fast enough for the unfortunate.  Once they figured a lot of things out, fortunately for the rest of us, spring and summer were here to get us outside and relatively away from each other.  We were told that it was gone by many in the summer, which most of us were living relatively normal lives up until close to Thanksgiving.  Which the health officials were pretty spot on of it spreading quickly then, with mitigation efforts.  Funny how it spread a lot more up north than down south, no?  Any correlation to being inside maybe?   
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/17 13:21:26 (permalink)
So, California has crappy winter weather for the majority of their southern population and they were all stuck inside the entire winter?  Your argument doesn't hold water.

Florida also has the HIGHEST percentage of population over the age of 65, who are at the most risk for Covid and they are also top 5 for Median age in the nation.

Could Florida have saved a few more lives going full lockdown like many of the northern and blue states...sure, most likely. 

But, their overall balance and approach probably did give them a leg up on the rest of the nation when you consider ALL factors (other deaths, mental health issues, unemployment rates, overall general happiness in life...amongst other things).  

Hence, why their approach is getting a second look even by dems/liberal left....
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 333
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/17 13:59:50 (permalink)
Porktown
Funny how it spread a lot more up north than down south, no?  Any correlation to being inside maybe?   

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

mississippi, arizona, louisiana, and alabama among the top ten states with the highest death rate per million.  

florida (least state wide restrictions, although many local restrictions) and california (tightest restrictions) right in the middle 

quite a few northern states in the lower third.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/17 15:32:04 (permalink)
snagr

mississippi, arizona, louisiana, and alabama among the top ten states with the highest death rate per million.  

These states had as lax or more than FL, so how do you explain?

Not responding directly to Snagr, but Eyes too.

Florida was in full lock down in March/April when the rest of the states were.  They went ballzout in reopening and was when their state hit a major spike.  Their cities got smart and started putting their own regulations in.  Fortunately for practically their entire state, besides the northern border areas, it doesn't get cold enough for them to be concentrating in doors like every other state in the country during the winter.  Some, much more than others.  This approach used up north would have had our hospitals overrun.  Or, the northern GOP senators are all a bunch of demon child blood drinkers too?  

Desantos did not change science.  If there weren't localized restrictions in every of the most populated areas of the state, it would have been much different.  If his head up his rearend cult philosophy would have been used in the north, he would be hung as an enemy of their state.

If there are some on the left saying what he did would have worked in anywhere besides FL, I call BS.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2383
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/17 19:11:30 (permalink)
Fact is a whole lot of people didn't get covid by using self common sense and listening to doctors and scientists suggestions . Why would anybody listen to politicians or people who "got covid"and then they try to defend that they got it right or they know more ?  I'd rather listen to the ones that haven't got covid yet because to me they got it right so far .  

JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 980
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/20 12:05:05 (permalink)
Here's a post I saw on Craigslist the other day.

https://missoula.craigsli...reward/7293714969.html
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/24 15:16:49 (permalink)
Tech stocks are taking one in the can for two days in a row.  Been a pretty rough March for tech.  I'd think a good time to buy, if you have the stomach for it.  Who knows, might be down hill from here?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/25 21:40:18 (permalink)
Fire sale yesterday and early today. Good deals if you have the stomach for it. Seemed to bottom out mid day and turn. Hopefully Nasdaq is officially corrected.

Chinese stocks tanked with Biden admin threatening to kick them out of stock exchanges. Good to see a hard stand on China. Not so good if you have Chinese stocks. Wondering how far they will drop. Could be an easy buck made off of it. Could throwing money in a hole... Not often stable companies drop 15%. I’m betting relatively quick rebound.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 10:03:31 (permalink)
I'm still investing fiat currency into my Roth, but I make sure to convert some fiat into precious metals every month (actual bullion in my hands and not precious metal paper stocks/etf). I believe inflation is coming and god forbid hyperinflation, with three 3 rounds of stimmy checks being printed, plus other government spending in the trillions.
post edited by psu_fish - 2021/03/26 10:05:34
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 11:20:40 (permalink)
Where are you buying, local jewelry shops? I have some gold mining company stocks in my 401k portfolio, but like anything, they are worthless paper if a crash. Heck, not even paper...
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2172
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 15:07:56 (permalink)
I'm no guru in financial matters but I believe that in todays market  silver prices are undervalued compared to the price of gold. If I were to choose between the two I would invest in silver.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Martin Luther King Jr. 
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1945
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 16:45:58 (permalink)
Porktown
Where are you buying, local jewelry shops? I have some gold mining company stocks in my 401k portfolio, but like anything, they are worthless paper if a crash. Heck, not even paper...

I invest in Silver. Physical stuff, not the paper. Talk to your financial advisor, you might be able to convert to physical precious metals. I also believe it is undervalued, even at $27 an ounce.

BH
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 17:26:37 (permalink)
All in for cash-- the market will soon respond to overspending, higher taxes, long term job losses and world issues with the US -IMHO.
Dont have the years left to hold on and wait it out.
Perhaps gold or silver will stand the pressure but not betting on it.
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/03/26 17:27:46
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 19:33:10 (permalink)
I wouldn't go with cash. Especially if you're still working. Cash is going to lose at least 8% of its value this year.

BH
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 19:39:15 (permalink)
Have been retired for a long time with a nice income from my and wifes pensions. That said the cash is not replaceable through a job anymore although even in retirement we continue to be able to save- feel very fortunate compared to some.
Without the ability to replace revenue lost  in a market place I feel much safer holding cash.
As ya age things look a bit different out there and I for one am taking a most conservative approach.
Hit a few good ones at just about retirement time when I was still working that made things comphy but wont gamble at this point in life.
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/03/26 19:42:06
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 19:50:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby psu_fish 2021/03/29 08:42:58
Wish I would have invested in rhodium 5 years ago....
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 20:07:16 (permalink)
Wish I had invested in Chrysler at 5 and change and bout a year later was around mid 30s.
Ahhhhh but for hindsight.
Recall when they said computer stock was the thing  because every house in America was gonna have one- I thought THEY were nuts.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/26 21:22:40 (permalink)
BloodyHand
I wouldn't go with cash. Especially if you're still working. Cash is going to lose at least 8% of its value this year.

BH

I would hope 8% is an exaggeration. If $15/hr minimum wage happens, I can see it getting close. I have a feeling there are enough economic advisors to warn against some far left policies. We need to remember who really runs the country, Democratic Party included. Those folks are not going to make out on major inflation.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/27 08:44:48 (permalink)
Not an exaggeration Pork. You can't Pump/Print Trillions of dollars without consequences. My brother, who is totally hip to this stuff explained it to me kinda like this... What you can buy for $100 today, will cost you $108 this time next year. He also said, jump on the crypto currency bandwagon....Bitcoin, Cardano. Stay off of Therium.

BH
EMitch
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/27 18:15:09 (permalink)
I think the 8% figure might be a bit conservative. There's still $900 billion from the first stimulus that hasn't been spent yet, plus the $1.9 trillion they just ran through. Couple that with the $3 trillion they're talkin' about for infrastructure, and we're primed for massive inflation. They don't have any of this money, so they either have to borrow it or print it. If they print it, we're screwed. When they start pushin' all this money into the economy, prices are gonna soar, (even though they're goin' up fast right now).

If you agree with the Progressive Democrats, that's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech and racism.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 07:57:54 (permalink)
Bunch of armchair economists up in here.

Looks like conservative scare mongering about inflation has replaced conservative scare mongering about “the deficit”.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 09:09:22 (permalink)
Comparing the 70s, with the most recent hyperinflation to now, does not seem all that similar. Granted, if there is an oil embargo, things could change quickly. But I don’t think OPEC would think to do now, after a year of very low consumption. They will try to keep prices as high as they can, like they are, but they need high consumption to really make up losses. I do see all industries trying to make up lost ground, but there has to be the demand and willingness to pay the inflated prices. The Fed also learned a lot in that time of how to control inflation.

That cargo ship that is blocking the Suez Canal is not helping the situation. If that lasts too long, I can definitely see a spike from it, to go along with massive amounts of money out, but not in. But that massive amounts out compared to in, is nothing new.

I don’t have much concern with economic advisers telling policy makers what will hurt who really controls this country (major donors). Major inflation is not good for them. They won’t allow certain legislation that will cause hyperinflation from happening.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 09:45:17 (permalink)
MyWar

Looks like conservative scare mongering about inflation has replaced conservative scare mongering about “the deficit”.

Hate to be the bearer of bad new, but inflation is an actual real thing. Do I need to post a bunch of links to show this to be a fact............lol.
#gettaclu

BH
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 11:44:03 (permalink)
Porktown
That cargo ship that is blocking the Suez Canal is not helping the situation. If that lasts too long, I can definitely see a spike from it, to go along with massive amounts of money out, but not in. But that massive amounts out compared to in, is nothing new.

I don’t see the cargo ship blocking the Suez Canal as having much to do with inflation.

But it should be a big warning sign about single points of failure and pinch points that can be disrupt global supply chains. These pinch points can be shut down accidentally or intentionally. It could be terrorism, or negligence, or stupidity. And we are way more vulnerable to these kinds of events than we think we are.

https://www.bloomberg.com...lnerable-than-we-think

Along the same lines, the cold weather in Texas a few weeks back that shut down their power grid was a *real* crisis, and it also highlights similar vulnerabilities. As does a global pandemic, which we were woefully underprepared for.

This is why we need to focus on things like infrastructure and healthcare. These are the real problems.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 11:45:44 (permalink)
BloodyHand
MyWar

Hate to be the bearer of bad new, but inflation is an actual real thing. Do I need to post a bunch of links to show this to be a fact............lol.
#gettaclu

BH

Post away
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 17:07:34 (permalink)
My bad, I didnt realize the word " inflation " was just a made up word with no meaning.

BH
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 17:25:16 (permalink)
MyWar

I don’t see the cargo ship blocking the Suez Canal as having much to do with inflation.

Just like what you noted with the bad weather. Those companies will try to make up for lost revenue, passing onto consumers. 15% of the world’s products go through there. Alternate routes are costly. If cleared up quickly, likely not much of an issue. If not, it could definitely add to it.

As noted with Texas cold, they will try to make up for losses. Both combined are part of the current oil price hike. Inflation is rarely caused by one thing.

Shipping effects just about every product. If product X goes up in price and stays, usually product Y follows, then product Z. Usually many other factors involved that will drive inflation. Typically following a recession, there will be some inflation during a recovery. I fully expect that to happen now. Hopefully it is kept in check and temporary.
post edited by Porktown - 2021/03/28 17:28:17
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Give me all your moneys 2021/03/28 18:59:40 (permalink)
Porktown
MyWar

Just like what you noted with the bad weather. Those companies will try to make up for lost revenue, passing onto consumers. 15% of the world’s products go through there. Alternate routes are costly. If cleared up quickly, likely not much of an issue. If not, it could definitely add to it.

As noted with Texas cold, they will try to make up for losses. Both combined are part of the current oil price hike. Inflation is rarely caused by one thing.

Shipping effects just about every product. If product X goes up in price and stays, usually product Y follows, then product Z. Usually many other factors involved that will drive inflation. Typically following a recession, there will be some inflation during a recovery. I fully expect that to happen now. Hopefully it is kept in check and temporary.

Inflation and increased costs aren’t the same thing though. Inflation is a decrease in the buying power of currency across the board, for all goods and services. This issue with the Suez Canal is only going to affect the cost of goods that are going through it.

Of course the problem is that so many goods go through that shipping channel that supply chain disruption could effect the cost of a huge variety of things. And coupled with inflation it’s certainly bad news, economically speaking. But fundamentally it’s a completely different issue and things like US covid relief and US monetary policy have little bearing on it.
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to: