Just wondering

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2104
  • Reward points: 0
2021/01/21 11:51:43 (permalink)

Just wondering

It is somewhat troubling to me the way the new POTUS is going about filling the multitude of positions in his administration. He seems more focused more on diversity rather than who is the most qualified. Think about this for a minute. How many of you who have ever been on an airplane, waiting to take off, have ever given  much more than a passing thought as to if the pilot was up to the task of getting you and the rest of the passengers safely to your destination? Did sit there and hope it was some white heterosexual male or female, or perhaps someone who was of another race or had another sexual identity, or did you just put your trust in the system and hope you had the best qualified pilot in the fleet flying that plane. Personally I want the best qualified person, regardless of gender, sexual preference or race, catering to me, my family and our pets needs, whatever they may be. Mechanic's, vets,  ophthalmologist, etc. The list is long and varied. My doctors are a case in point. Primary care physician is a woman, white. The doctor who implanted my pacemaker, woman, white. Other heart doctor male Indian descent. Other doctors of various gender and fields of expertise from Jordan, Syria, Nigeria and one of Pakistan/USA heritage, some native born Americans. I trust these people with my life. I don't really know, or care one way or another how they conduct their personal lives. I believe the people who are elected to the multitude of positions in government, be it local, state or national, or the people put in place to head the various departments, be the best available to do the job. Period!

"Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, 'It will be happier.'
Alfred Lord Tennyson

14 Replies Related Threads

LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2824
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 12:13:48 (permalink)
    I guess I would ask you how you know that he is choosing the positions based on diversity rather than qualifications?  Maybe he is doing exactly what you describe in your post and the people just happen to be men and women who are white, black, brown, yellow etc...

There was a previous post by R3 about Biden's choice for Sec. of Education.  He seems highly qualified and is of Latino descent.  
    DeadGator401
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 12:18:07 (permalink)
    Can you provide examples of what people in what positions are of question to you? 
    MyWar
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 13:37:10 (permalink)
    Wait, you think Trumps picks were qualified? Trump didn’t care about qualifications, he cared about loyalty.

Rick Perry actually campaigned on eliminating the department of energy and then later admitted he had no idea what the department actually did, after Trump had already put him in charge of it!

Devos? Tillerson? Ben Carson? What about his kids and Kushner? None of these people were qualified to fill the roles that Trump assigned them. He couldn’t even get some of his picks through a (Republican controlled) senate confirmation process so he did the “temporary appointment” thing.

Do you remember what a disaster Sean Spicer was? And do you think kayley mcenany got her job because she was qualified, or because she was a pretty blonde woman?

But now you are suddenly worried about “qualifications”? GTFO.

If there is one thing that I am not concerned about, it is that qualified, competent people will again be working in the federal government.
    DeadGator401
    Avid Angler
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 16:46:59 (permalink)
    Gonna go out on a limb here and just provide some random data. Take it for what you will. Considering the recent news of a "controversial" (I say controversial because this one seems to have gotten attention recently) addition that Biden made:

https://www.health.pa.gov/About/Pages/Leadership.aspx

"Dr. Levine is currently the Secretary of Health for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine.
    Dr. Levine is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, and the Academy for Eating Disorders. She is also the President of ASTHO, the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials.
    Dr. Levine joined the Wolf administration in January 2015 as the Physician General of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and served from 2015-2017. She was named Acting Secretary of Health in July 2017 and confirmed as Secretary of Health in March 2018.
    Her previous posts included: Vice-Chair for Clinical Affairs for the Department of Pediatrics and Chief of the Division of Adolescent Medicine and Eating Disorders at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center.
    In addition to her recent posts Dr. Levine is also an accomplished regional and international speaker, and author on the opioid crisis, medical marijuana, adolescent medicine, eating disorders, and LGBT medicine.
    Dr. Levine graduated from Harvard College and the Tulane University School of Medicine. She completed her training in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York City."

As far as this recent appointment - based on the credentials above - Dr. Levine seems pretty qualified to me, but I'm just a guy who presses computer buttons all day to make ends meet. 

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2509
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 17:29:25 (permalink)
    Took her mother out of a nursing home and back into the house a while ago and then put Covid folks into nursing homes.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/22 07:23:13
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2582
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 17:51:43 (permalink)
    MyWar
    Wait, you think Trumps picks were qualified? Trump didn’t care about qualifications, he cared about loyalty

91% turn over doesn't scream quality people to me.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2509
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 18:26:35 (permalink)
    I like the guy they want to put in charge of Military- hope he gets the congressional waiver to do so.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1152
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 21:12:55 (permalink)
    DeadGator401
    Gonna go out on a limb here and just provide some random data. Take it for what you will. Considering the recent news of a "controversial" (I say controversial because this one seems to have gotten attention recently) addition that Biden made:

"Dr. Levine is currently the Secretary of Health for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine.
    Dr. Levine is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, and the Academy for Eating Disorders. She is also the President of ASTHO, the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials.
    Dr. Levine joined the Wolf administration in January 2015 as the Physician General of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and served from 2015-2017. She was named Acting Secretary of Health in July 2017 and confirmed as Secretary of Health in March 2018.
    Her previous posts included: Vice-Chair for Clinical Affairs for the Department of Pediatrics and Chief of the Division of Adolescent Medicine and Eating Disorders at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center.
    In addition to her recent posts Dr. Levine is also an accomplished regional and international speaker, and author on the opioid crisis, medical marijuana, adolescent medicine, eating disorders, and LGBT medicine.
    Dr. Levine graduated from Harvard College and the Tulane University School of Medicine. She completed her training in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York City."

As far as this recent appointment - based on the credentials above - Dr. Levine seems pretty qualified to me, but I'm just a guy who presses computer buttons all day to make ends meet. 

A MAN who has all of these so called credentials, but denies basic proven settled science.

This is exactly what is dividing our country. The liberals preach unity, but jam chit like this down half of the country's throats. I could care less that Levine wants to pretend he's a woman in his personal life. Has zero effect on me going about my daily business. As soon as you start to dole out medical advice from a position of power to me when you can't accept the basic scientific FACT that you are male your opinion means zero. Levine obviously cannot accept the science of gender, so what would make me believe that he would not bend the rules of science and medicine elsewhere just to fit his narrative?

Now don't get me wrong, I do NOT condone the violence that happened at the capitol, but if were not gonna hurt anyone's feelings by telling them the cold hard truth just play along with me for a minute. Maybe the folks that stormed the capitol in all their reality believed that they were actually the real congress men/ women of the United States. Who are we as all accepting people to deny their basic right to believe them just because it is a complete falsehood?
    MyWar
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 22:17:05 (permalink)
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Levine obviously cannot accept the science of gender

Except “Gender” isn’t a science. Gender is a social construct which refers to completely subjective characteristics of masculine vs feminine.

“Sex” refers to the biological components of male vs female.

Sounds like maybe you have no idea what you are babbling about, so maybe you should just listen to the people that have “PhD” after their names.
    Irisheyeball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/21 22:56:35 (permalink)
    Is ignorance and bigotry dividing our country? I guess so. Wish it wasn’t so, but hey.....there it is.
    DeadGator401
    Avid Angler
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/22 00:32:52 (permalink)
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    DeadGator401

A MAN who has all of these so called credentials, but denies basic proven settled science.

This is exactly what is dividing our country. The liberals preach unity, but jam chit like this down half of the country's throats. I could care less that Levine wants to pretend he's a woman in his personal life. Has zero effect on me going about my daily business. As soon as you start to dole out medical advice from a position of power to me when you can't accept the basic scientific FACT that you are male your opinion means zero. Levine obviously cannot accept the science of gender, so what would make me believe that he would not bend the rules of science and medicine elsewhere just to fit his narrative?

Now don't get me wrong, I do NOT condone the violence that happened at the capitol, but if were not gonna hurt anyone's feelings by telling them the cold hard truth just play along with me for a minute. Maybe the folks that stormed the capitol in all their reality believed that they were actually the real congress men/ women of the United States. Who are we as all accepting people to deny their basic right to believe them just because it is a complete falsehood?

Yeah I figured it was as much as something like this for a lot of the posters here. 
    You begin a post with division, intentional mislabeling of someone, then go on to preach about "This is what is dividing our country" and point the fingers to everyone else.

If you live in Pa, Dr. Levine has had an effect on your life, especially during Covid and your "daily business". You've posted multiple paragraphs rambling about a Harvard Graduate being unqualified as a Doctor, because you don't understand/agree with her personal choices. This comes across as fear of what you don't understand. You're afraid of what you don't know. I feel bad for you.

Maybe try some compassion instead of lashing out in anger?

r3g3
    Took her mother out of a nursing home and back into the house a while ago and then put Covid folks into nursing homes homes.

I agree. The Nursing home fiasco was a **** mess. However, the initial post for this thread was about qualifications.

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1860
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/22 07:20:41 (permalink)
    DeadGator401
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    DeadGator401

Yeah I figured it was as much as something like this for a lot of the posters here. 
    You begin a post with division, intentional mislabeling of someone, then go on to preach about "This is what is dividing our country" and point the fingers to everyone else.

If you live in Pa, Dr. Levine has had an effect on your life, especially during Covid and your "daily business". You've posted multiple paragraphs rambling about a Harvard Graduate being unqualified as a Doctor, because you don't understand/agree with her personal choices. This comes across as fear of what you don't understand. You're afraid of what you don't know. I feel bad for you.

Maybe try some compassion instead of lashing out in anger?

r3g3
    Took her mother out of a nursing home and back into the house a while ago and then put Covid folks into nursing homes homes.

I agree. The Nursing home fiasco was a **** mess. However, the initial post for this thread was about qualifications.

Qualification! You mean to tell me you dont mind a person calling the shots that say/does, I'm going to do this, but tell you to do the exact opposite? Whats good for your family isnt necessary good for mine. He/she is a joke....

BH

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1860
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/22 19:06:05 (permalink)
    Qualified! My wife is in the medical field. She has genuine empathy for ALL people. Wouldn't you expect the same from this so called qualified expert person calling the shots? Dont see it folks........

BH
    EMitch
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 769
    Re: Just wondering 2021/01/23 06:04:45 (permalink)
    Qualifications or not, she still looks like the haggy stick witch on a Bugs Bunny cartoon!

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho for the rest of your life.
    Jump to: