Flyfishing Question

Author
Wordhog61
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2021/01/16 09:29:23 (permalink)

Flyfishing Question

My son bought me a 6wt Fly rod. He put 7wt line on it. I plan going going to Elk Creek. What size leader and tippet do I need. I guess the better question is, what size flies do I need? Thanks

7 Replies Related Threads

solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Flyfishing Question 2021/01/17 12:36:26 (permalink)
    How long is your rod. I would make them at least the length of the rod. As for flies egg patterns and minnow patterns. They are just trout. So anything you would do for trout fishing.
    snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: Flyfishing Question 2021/01/17 13:01:35 (permalink)
    Wordhog61
    My son bought me a 6wt Fly rod. He put 7wt line on it. I plan going going to Elk Creek. What size leader and tippet do I need. I guess the better question is, what size flies do I need? Thanks

i'm not a fly fisherman, but my sons are.  i still help the youngest one with everything.  for steelhead, i loop about an 8' piece of 6# flouro to his fly line.  my older son, even though he could take the time to use tapered leaders and tippet, does the same.  

size 12 or 14 egg or crystal meth type patterns, wooly buggers in olive and white, and pink squirmy worms are what they get most of their fish on.  size 14-18 bead head nymphs are good sometimes.  oldest one likes to strip big streamers sometimes too.  poor richards will have everything you need and can help you out.  
    Wordhog61
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Flyfishing Question 2021/01/17 19:02:22 (permalink)
    Ok thanks guys. I'm not coming up after all but, it will help me for future trips.
    cdcaddis
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Flyfishing Question 2021/01/19 19:49:11 (permalink)
    I am a fly fisher for sixty years.  I would use a tapered 3X leader 7 1/2' long.  Tie a little loop on the thin end and buy a spool of 3X & 4X tippet material.  Cut off a piece on either one (lighter for clearer water) about 24" long.  Clinch knot it to the loop.  When it gets short from changing flies cut off whatever is left and add a new 24" piece.

For flies it almost hardy matters because steelhead aren't very particular in what they eat.  Buy a couple Glo Bugs #12 - #16, a couple Hares Ear nymphs #10 - #16, some Pheasant Tail nymphs  and various colors of sucker spawn.  The home page of this web site has info of popular Erie creek steelhead flies.

https://www.fisherie.com/Fly-Patterns
    post edited by cdcaddis - 2021/01/19 19:54:37

Flyfisher for fifty-four years.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Flyfishing Question 2021/01/20 14:35:40 (permalink)
    ^this guy gets it
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9684
    Re: Flyfishing Question 2021/01/20 20:07:18 (permalink)
    I think the biggest thing for fly fishing the Tribs is learning to roll cast if you don’t already. That and mending your line from slowing your drift, so your fly drifts naturally with the current. Unless you are fishing the lake, you likely won’t be swinging your line all too much. Possibly find some open areas that allow you to.
    cdcaddis
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Flyfishing Question 2021/01/21 12:19:45 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I think the biggest thing for fly fishing the Tribs is learning to roll cast if you don’t already. That and mending your line from slowing your drift, so your fly drifts naturally with the current. Unless you are fishing the lake, you likely won’t be swinging your line all too much. Possibly find some open areas that allow you to.

This is a very good comment. Firstly there is no need to be fly casting in the traditional back and forth over the head manner while steelhead fishing.  I say this because it is much more efficient to just bring the rod to the 10:00 position (imagine a clock) while bringing your rod hand/arm towards you it is pulling the line from the water when the rod reaches that 10:00 position execute a forceful downward motion until the rod is parallel with the water.  This action will make the remainder of the line, your indicator, split shot, and fly come out of the water and fly in an arc to a new position back in the river.  Sounds complicated but it is really one of the easiest methods to fly cast.

There are usually just too many other anglers fishing or walking around that if you cast overhead you will likely hook another angler or hook a tree.  Also it is quite clumsy to try and conventional cast an indicator, BB's, and a fly.

Here is one YouTube video I found but there are many others;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRaCV5c63mY

post edited by cdcaddis - 2021/01/21 12:23:49

Flyfisher for fifty-four years.
    Jump to: