Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
centerpin_drift
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 205
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/21 01:49:01 (permalink)

Trout season

Well hate to admit but only a few days left in Feb, and hello too March. So their will be a month and a week for steelhead action to be had. Much as i hate to say it it is coming to a close though. So how many you guys getting ready for trout fishing.________________

please state if you like too use

A. fly rod
 b. spinning rod
 c. centerpin if any anyone uses a pin for trout fishing.
--------
be fun to see whatever one else is using. Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------
And what's everyones go too bait,or fly they like too use for trout.
I would say my go too are glo bugs,hare's ears,pt, princes, And streamers.

Centerpin_drift!~

Get the Drift !!!!!

54 Replies Related Threads

hivue05
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 05:29:22 (permalink)
    Many a stockie fall to my centerpin and egg sack combo. I use up my
    leftover sacks on the local streams. They act like its a gift from the gods.
    No i'm not planning yet, too much overtime at work. May not be a good
    year .
    AnimalCannibal1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 06:27:47 (permalink)
    Personally, I've got bass on the brain. While not so hot for eating, I think it's my favorite season for fishing. Plenty of fish, plenty of elbow room, plenty of fight in the fish. However, I will be out for stocky season. My favorites include a mayfly colored spinner, followed by my old standby...NIGHTCRAWLERS.

..And then I saw a sheet being let down from Heaven and it contained all the four legged creatures of the Earth. And then the Lord told me "Get up Peter, Kill and Eat."
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 06:28:46 (permalink)
    What's trout season? LOL   Don't think bout it much but when I do go for pellets I use fly and spin, whatever mood I'm in. The only time I like to fly fish is when I can get them to take drys. CP Drift, you might want to check out the Oil Creek outing when it comes up this year. Can't say as I've had a better time fishin with a gang of people than that !!!  Dave
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 06:29:48 (permalink)
    Honestly, after chasing steelies, stockies are really not all that exciting to me.  Once steelhead season winds down, I start looking for other fish, mainly muskies.  Actually, if I want smaller fish that fight, I fish for bluegills and smallies.

pax vobiscum +
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 08:59:39 (permalink)
    i didnt know there was a trout season? ..... who says you cant fish for them year round 
    littlefisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 09:10:54 (permalink)
    fly rod for me
    gills and crappies after steelhead season
    now i hear muskies can be fun as they hit the bait real close to the boat sometimes
    gets the heart pounding

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 09:32:22 (permalink)
    Littlefisher,

You are right about muskies hitting right at the boat.  I have had several crush a lure as I was about to pull it out of the water.   Nothing like seeing that big head come up out of nowhere and grab the lure....  It does get the heart pounding. 

pax vobiscum +
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 09:50:11 (permalink)
    Started swinging a fly rod for the stockies two years ago - probably go about 50/50 on bait, flies for the little buggers.  Getting OK at it.  Still not confident or brave enough to try it out on steelhead yet so I stick with the bait & noodle rod on them. 

Once the water warms up & the weather gets nice though, most of my fishing time is devoted to bass & bluegills with my kids on a local farm pond. 

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 09:59:29 (permalink)
    On the opening day I'll try spinners or worms.After the opening day I fish fly tackle with nympths,glo bugs,and wooly buggers.But after fishing for Salmon,Browns,and Steelhead in the tribs it's not too exciting to play with pellet heads.
    post edited by pafisher - 2008/02/21 10:00:33
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 10:03:16 (permalink)
    Few things in the world will make your heart pump faster than a 45+ ski on 3 feet of line.....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    captdanerie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 10:15:14 (permalink)
    I went to a seminar last Sunday at Gander Mtn at the mall in Erie.  Mike Bleech spoke about trout fishing in the tailwaters of Kinzua dam.  Those trout are allmost the size of Steelhead (2-4 pounds with larger ones there too)and they are stocked as fingerlings so they are a real challenge!  That's where I'm heading after the steelhead move back into the lake.

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 10:18:01 (permalink)
      It will be Pike for me. Them babies are ready to spawn before the ice is off. Gettin some smaller boats ready & the batteries topped off. Hope to find a little open water in the next 3 weeks on the local lake. In the meantime I'll be wadein a local stream for em. Even gonna trade one of my t.v.'s for a couple ov boats, trailers, motor & the works. Should have plenty of time for em this spring.
    QuackerSmacker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 10:57:22 (permalink)
    Last year first weekend, did not even get the stuff out of the car, too much good food and beer at the cabin. And has anyone else downloaded the stocking schedules, any smalled print and I'll need a magnifying glass to read them!

Glenn
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 11:16:14 (permalink)
    I cant wait for trout to start, this warm/cold weather has been driving me crazy.  Just when there's safe ice, it gets up to 60 degrees and meltsthe ice, then just when u think there's open water to fish from shore, it freezes again! 

I will continue to learn how to flysih, and throw lots of wooley buggers at the pellet heads. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 11:17:51 (permalink)
    first day trout down at the ol' traditional 1rst day spot with my grandson and a spinning rod. after that the fly rod up in the mountains. i can understand the excitement catching big heavy fish in a lake on a boat. i'll still take the early spring morning casting nymphs down a brook stream to unwarry trout in the middle of a forest. casting buggers to bow's in the tionesta. no cars, no boat engines, nature at it's finest. and evening catching rising trout on home-spun dry flies!! and every once in a while you catch a big'n.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 11:46:53 (permalink)
    first day of trout ill be going after big bass in wv.  after a long steelhead season nothing would be more disappointing then going trout fishing for stockies.  at the beginning of summer i will go to the yough for some trout but its mostly bass and perch until steelhead in september.  i also like early trips for flathead catfish (they are extremely hungry and smaller baits are perfect) and then a few other places on the ohio river for everything else.  when i do go after trout on the yough its various live baits or single eggs from poor richards, and jigs and other lures.  minnow baits attract some really big trout down there. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 12:04:20 (permalink)
    I guess if I was fishing a small mountain stream for natives, trout season would have some allure, but standing armpit to armpit with people trying to catch stockies opening day is a real turn off for me.  I used to enjoy looking forward to the first day, but any more it is something to be avoided like the plague.  If the weather is nice, I might take the canoe out to Presque Isle and float around there for awhile.  Maybe a pike will decide to eat one of my flies...

pax vobiscum +
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 12:26:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: captdanerie

I went to a seminar last Sunday at Gander Mtn at the mall in Erie.  Mike Bleech spoke about trout fishing in the tailwaters of Kinzua dam.  Those trout are allmost the size of Steelhead (2-4 pounds with larger ones there too)and they are stocked as fingerlings so they are a real challenge!  That's where I'm heading after the steelhead move back into the lake.

check it out...
    http://www.northcountryfish.com/index_files/page0003.htm

Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 12:39:33 (permalink)
    I am really looking forward to Trout this year - new areas to seek out in NCPA.  Will miss fishing with Can Man, but I am sure he will be out my way for some Trout and Gobbler.

Really find it interesting that folks believe that opening day of trout is armpit to armpit everywhere you go - not once have I fished an opener and experienced that.  Makes me scratch what little hair I have left on my head.  Posts like the one above certainly do not add to the charm of it.

Doc 

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 12:45:14 (permalink)
    I enjoy the first day. It can be very amusing. Always compete with a friend. Help a young person or two. Kick back and watch the excitement.
    I,ll use my glass fly rod and beadhead caddis. Will be taking my son out the first day and try to show him how to use a fly rod. Will be going local, too close to my daughters wedding. Also the week the pups will be ready for a new home. I don,t run out to be first in a hole anymore.

psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 13:20:50 (permalink)
    When you fish for steelhead its almost like the stockies are just minnows. But then they are fun, and they do have some what of a fight in them. I am looking forward to trout season. I wanna catch a palomino for the 3rd year in a row! I mainly use spining rod with live bait, i also like the fly rod with a wolly bugger or a mickey finn i always get them on those... Only 58 days to go !!
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 14:02:12 (permalink)
    For local stocked trout I use mainly artificials.  My favorite choice by far are trout magnets.  A gold jighead with a white grub is deadly.  Yellow, pink, and chartruese are also good.  Once in a while I'll use rooster tails and flatfish.  I primarily fish the delayed harvest sections becuase there is less fishing pressure and I enjoy releasing them.  My only choice for live bait is Mike's shrimp eggs.  Drift them on a float and the trout can't resist.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 14:08:27 (permalink)
    I'll be at a local club stocked lake with about 10 kids.  I will spend more time untangling than anything else but they will all catch fish and it isn't very crowded.  So if I need a fish real bad I will be throwing a blue and nickle little cleo.  Otherwise it is crawlers and an egg rigged up behind a 3/8 slipsinker. 

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 14:30:15 (permalink)
    I really don't fish early season trout anymore due to the fact that I fish all winter November through Feb. usually 3+ times a week and there is no one around. It's hard to get used to the crowds again after that type of fishing. Furthermore, if you fish quality waters, you can catch 20+ inch trout all winter long all over PA.
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 15:31:57 (permalink)
    All I use is bait! No but really, an oregon cheese color sucker spawn and a hares ear work good.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 16:51:25 (permalink)
    UL and a box of rooster tails...Hot color last year was brown trout..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 17:15:41 (permalink)
    "Really find it interesting that folks believe that opening day of trout is armpit to armpit everywhere you go - not once have I fished an opener and experienced that.  Makes me scratch what little hair I have left on my head.  Posts like the one above certainly do not add to the charm of it." Doc

I guess you found some quiet water Doc.  My few experiences of opening day in Erie County on Elk creek at the usual public access areas such as the McKean hole, Rick Road, Legion Park were not very good.  The places were packed.  In fact, there is a small creek on my property that is stocked up stream from my house and there is a hole that usually holds fish just behind my house.  Each spring there are always people fishing that hole opening day.  I don't care that they do, but I rarely ever see anyone fishing the creek except the first day of trout season. 

If you like to fish for trout opening day or any day for that matter, that is great.  I just don't like all the hoopla that is part of opening day of trout season.  It does not mean that should have a negative impact on others.  If you enjoy it, then fine.  I hope you have a great day.  Obviously you had some wonderful experiences that keep you going back for more, but my experiences have not been such that I feel the need to participate in this particular right of spring.  Just a different perspective I guess.

pax vobiscum +
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 17:41:40 (permalink)
    I only trout fish to take my daughter.  Its local and a good experience for her.  Kind of a tradition in our family since dad used to take me and my 2 brothers on opening day every year.  We use spinning gear, drift bait and small jigs.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Trout season 2008/02/21 18:01:34 (permalink)
    Itchin to try some pike on the fly in some of the local outflows, other than that bring on trout season and the hatches!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: