Info needed

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2060
  • Reward points: 0
2020/10/19 15:17:31 (permalink)

Info needed

Seriously, I need some help trying to figure something out. Driving around and seeing the various political signs, flags, etc., among the ones in support of Mr. Biden are various ones with the message "Save our post office," Others, "Save social security." Just wondering no matter who is President, how could he or she eliminate either one? I surely would miss not having them.

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

16 Replies Related Threads

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/19 17:14:39 (permalink)
    They can't. No one person can do away with either, they can try,  they can want to and they can attempt to under mine the programs. That's why we have a President not a King. No one person can do anything. It takes years to make even small changes in anything involving the government. The real problem is EVERYONE who runs for any office uses Social security  as a tactic, trying to scare people for their vote. Look at them ,their all fighting to protect your Social security while their opponents are trying to take it away.
    DeadGator401
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/19 18:07:26 (permalink)
    For these two signs, my take is:

Save the post office: referring to the new Postmaster General and the recent actions (over the past year or so) taken by him.

Save Social Security: referring to Trump's promise to "permanently cut the payroll tax." Social Security is funded by the Payroll tax. I take those signs as more of a "Save and make Social Security solvent" as opposed to it being immediately removed. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/19 19:51:06 (permalink)
    If I had a yard my sign would say... SS Recipients need a (BIG) cost of living raise, the same as congress gets.

But anyways, if SS remains status quo we already know the program is doomed.

Maybe some yinz is to young to know or like many of us boomers in our younger years, didn't pay attention but back in the day, there was talk of how taxes could be changed. The idea, fashioned similar to Florida and other states having no income tax.

In breaking news.......

Southern Alaska hit with 7.5 earthquake trigging tsunami warnings for nearby communities.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/10/19 20:06:09

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/19 20:05:18 (permalink)
    B.T. Now we're on the track like the old days.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/19 20:27:17 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs

Jigs I think I know where you are coming from and why you may feel the way you do.

My thinking is fixing SS would not require a big fix but for stopping the wrongful misuse and abuse. Also, contributions to the program come through ”payroll” deductions which mean contributors must be working to be on a payroll. How better to increase contributions than creating contributors.

I must admit, I am puzzled SS isn't and has not been a major issue during elections..... especially when we boomers have organizations like AARP going to bat (blowing smoke) for us. 🥴
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/10/19 20:28:54

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DeadGator401
    Avid Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/19 23:51:49 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Walleye jigs

Jigs I think I know where you are coming from and why you may feel the way you do.

My thinking is fixing SS would not require a big fix but for stopping the wrongful misuse and abuse. Also, contributions to the program come through ”payroll” deductions which mean contributors must be working to be on a payroll. How better to increase contributions than creating contributors.

I must admit, I am puzzled SS isn't and has not been a major issue during elections..... especially when we boomers have organizations like AARP going to bat (blowing smoke) for us. 🥴

Couldn't agree more. Think I saw something like 1.3% raise in SS this coming year? Could be mistaken.

Stopping the misuse would for sure help. Solvency is needed for certain. It a shame that it's not as big of a deal this go around as it should be. It's important for Boomers like you, and know it alls like me my generation my friend. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 00:53:35 (permalink)
    Gator as a boomer growing up, Social Security only came to mind when I studied my 'pay stub' and saw what was being taken from my paycheck. As is said, taking it from the paycheck I never missed the money. Had I been required to make an annual payment needing me to pull money already in my pocket then I'd a been piszed.

SS is something I just took for granted and expected to be there if & when I retired, so I never gave SS a 2nd thought. Not until the gov. started messing with and changing age requirements and announcing the coffers running dry and that's when I said 😲 WTH?

I honestly feel, had Clinton taken the White House, Social Security would soon run dry, forcing all retirees on a new form of welfare, with a loss of all pension plans.

Thankfully that did not happen (yet) and certainly no thanks to the many 'boomers', like myself, who took SS for granted.

Hell we boomers still ain't making it a political issue like it should be but that's no reason, for the younger generation not to be raising hell and making sure it's there when yinz retire.

I should clarify younger generation as being those who have pride and are willing to work and earn their way and not the Sanders/AOC minions who stand around holding their hands out.

Food for thought, never ever think an organization like AARP is gonna lobby for your welfare in you golden years.

Better yet, don't wait to build a nest egg. Every little bit helps and I know I said earlier, when it's taken from my paycheck I don't miss the money but I'd never do a 401K again. I'd talk to someone like ”Edward Jones” then get pized about having to take money from my pocket, even though, I'm paying me 🥴
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/10/20 01:20:37

DeadGator401
    Avid Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 01:43:46 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Gator as a boomer growing up, Social Security only came to mind when I studied my 'pay stub' and saw what was being taken from my paycheck. As is said, taking it from the paycheck I never missed the money. Had I been required to make an annual payment needing me to pull money already in my pocket then I'd a been piszed.

SS is something I just took for granted and expected to be there if & when I retired, so I never gave SS a 2nd thought. Not until the gov. started messing with and changing age requirements and announcing the coffers running dry and that's when I said 😲 WTH?

I honestly feel, had Clinton taken the White House, Social Security would soon run dry, forcing all retirees on a new form of welfare, with a loss of all pension plans.

Thankfully that did not happen (yet) and certainly no thanks to the many 'boomers', like myself, who took SS for granted.

Hell we boomers still ain't making it a political issue like it should be but that's no reason, for the younger generation not to be raising hell and making sure it's there when yinz retire.

I should clarify younger generation as being those who have pride and are willing to work and earn their way and not the Sanders/AOC minions who stand around holding their hands out.

Food for thought, never ever think an organization like AARP is gonna lobby for your welfare in you golden years.

Better yet, don't wait to build a nest egg. Every little bit helps and I know I said earlier, when it's taken from my paycheck I don't miss the money but I'd never do a 401K again. I'd talk to someone like ”Edward Jones” then get pized about having to take money from my pocket, even though, I'm paying me 🥴

You pierced the veil Been, and might be able to see/understand one of the reasons why I voted the way I did last weekend. 
    A plan to make it solvent, for the future, for my future - is a great thing in my opinion. Changing where it's being funded from, and giving temporarily more money in peoples paychecks can be a good thing, even if that temporary becomes permanent. But, that would be keeping the status quo, and the way the fund is now, it's looking like that's a bad thing. 
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2809
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 07:33:49 (permalink)
     Latest one out there....

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 09:00:54 (permalink)

MyWar
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 806
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 09:11:45 (permalink)
    The Van Halen sign is brilliant.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 10:45:37 (permalink)
    Gator I agree with needed changes and that's why I say the young folks should not make the mistake of the boomers, like me, who assumed SS was untouchable and couldn't be changed.

A vote, to me is like investing money. How & Who you invest in today, will have a major affect on your future.

Invest your vote(s) where you think you will benefit the greatest. As for investing solely in the White House, I would suggest not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Food for thought.... when investing, check any past history looking for any warning signs of trouble, past and future. With SS, the problems started years ago. ”The writing is on the wall” and ”the ball is in your court”.

”Every journey begins with the first step” Invest wisely, your golden years depend on it.

JM2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 11:01:39 (permalink)
    My last job, the one I retired from was SS exempt. I still paid the same amount into my retirement plan as I would have into SS. I retired early with a great pension. 

The big difference between my retirement plan, and SS is it was fully funded without lawmakers raiding it and writing IOUs against the funds. It is also invested in various ways, and overseen by the employees, and management.

From the very start, SS was and still is a Ponzi scheme.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2325
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 12:26:45 (permalink)

ditto- same thing -get very minimal SS from years back but a nice pension that isnt used for so many other things besides an actual  retirement fund.

Remember when Bush wanted to let people put 1/2 of their SS money into a personal 401 fund back about 16 years ago.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2020/10/20 12:29:05
    EMitch
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 19:17:52 (permalink)
    I'm kinda glad that the candidates haven't made an issue of Social Security this election. I can't stand to listen to all the lyin' ba$tards who every single time, they're tellin' ya about that sacred lock box, and millions of Americans actually think that it exists. JM2 was right. The only thing in that "lock box" is a stack of IOUs. It goes right into the general fund where it is indiscriminately blown for the pols pet projects, among other things.

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho for the rest of your life.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Info needed 2020/10/20 19:59:41 (permalink)
    .... mitch, who let that happen?

Jump to: