Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 39
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/24 22:33:59 (permalink)
I was down at Fort Walton, FL for a week. Pretty cool area. Met up with one of my long time work associates. Have talked to him about checking out the area for a long time and convinced the family to take a vacation there. Work paid for a bit, since work related and all…. Was okay fishing (summer), like most beach towns, summer is for looking at the bikinis, fishing is okay in the mornings and evenings. I got a mangrove snapper, had a smaller cobia on, landed a few big ramoras that were schooled with the cobia, a ton of blue runners (hard tail jacks) and way too many hard head cats. Strong SW winds had things a bit churned there, which equaled a clear day in the Atlantic from Jupiter,FL to Bangor, ME…. There was a good bit of June grass most days, which turned surf fishing impossible, but drove 5 miles east to Destin and clear. Wind direction thing. Overall, I would have caught more fish locally pounding things hard for 7 days. But a 12” blue runner fights like an 18” smallmouth. 24” cobia was like hooking into a 30” wiper that was tied to a 30” walleye. Even those dreaded hardhead catfish are fun to fight. I can’t stand touching the things after getting stuck by one and losing feeling in my finger for 4 months…. I will try to write up another post on the bikinis and white sand….
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/25 17:16:54 (permalink)
Nice.....you fished emerald isle this year, right?   Looks like we r heading there for 4 days in a couple weeks.  Daughter wanted that rather than a party for her 16th birthday.  I'm fine with that.

Probably going to focus on sharks and take my gear but we will need to catch bait while we are there.   Did you have trouble catching small stuff there?  Ill have some smaller rods to catch bait...just not sure if we will have to go to the public boat launch on the sound side to catch bait or if the whiting and other small things will.be hitting in the surf.....
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1936
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/25 18:50:29 (permalink)
Where do you guys fish in the ocean? Do you wade? Fish the surf? Piers?

I’ve only fished the ocean a couple times and didn’t have much luck. But I had no idea what I was doing, no patterns, don’t even know what species to target. Totally foreign world.

Seems like you can hook into anything in big water like that.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/25 19:58:43 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Nice.....you fished emerald isle this year, right?   Looks like we r heading there for 4 days in a couple weeks.  Daughter wanted that rather than a party for her 16th birthday.  I'm fine with that.

Probably going to focus on sharks and take my gear but we will need to catch bait while we are there.   Did you have trouble catching small stuff there?  Ill have some smaller rods to catch bait...just not sure if we will have to go to the public boat launch on the sound side to catch bait or if the whiting and other small things will.be hitting in the surf.....

Not this year, but is one of my favorites. I prefer the “point” there (inlet). Cast spoons either in the ocean from the surf or into the inlet early morning or evening for Spanish mackerel and bluefish. Something like a Clarkspoon Jig Minnow works well, if they are around. Usually a ton of lizardfish mixed in that should be good shark bait. The pier there seems to fish well too. Make sure to check county and city ordinances on shark fishing. I don’t know with EI, but many areas is illegal to target from the surf. I know they were saying that in Fort Walton. There were a ton of them there.

If you have a cast net, you’ll have enough bait for your whole trip in probably 1/2 hour. There is a ton of mullet and pin fish in the bay. Find a grass patch and throw on top and most likely get some shrimp. We did that one year at the boat launch area. I got about 2 dozen shrimp in an hour or so. Only 2 really nice ones that were jumbo size. Most were like salad shrimp size when cooked. For bait they were okay size. Most Walmarts near the salt water sell cast nets for under $50. Not nearly as nice as the $200 nets the bait shops sell.
post edited by Porktown - 2022/07/25 20:35:40
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/25 20:29:34 (permalink)
MyWar
Where do you guys fish in the ocean? Do you wade? Fish the surf? Piers?

I’ve only fished the ocean a couple times and didn’t have much luck. But I had no idea what I was doing, no patterns, don’t even know what species to target. Totally foreign world.

Seems like you can hook into anything in big water like that.

I always mix it up, unless something is fishing well and then stay there. For summer fishing On vacation, my preference is to walk right out to the surf from where I’m staying. Fish mornings and evenings. As noted, my favorite is tossing lead spoons. You need the right conditions for that. If rough or dirty water, it doesn’t usually work well. There are a few other artificial that work well too. Pompano “goofy jigs” and bucktails “skinner style” have worked well too. If that isn’t working, then I’ll switch up to dunking bait. Usually use sand fleas and fish bites to go after whiting and pompano. If those aren’t working, then I’ll try cut mullet or other fish. This often runs into catching stingrays, catfish and sharks, which pull well, but a pain in the rear to unhook and release.

If not right in front of where I am staying, I usually go to the closest inlet, if relatively close. Almost always fish in them. Spoons there as well. Swim baits and other lures seem to work there too. I’m sure they work in the beach too, but can’t cast as far as the spoons. Inlets typically have very deep water close to shore. If using live bait there, then Carolina rig. I did this two days this past week with live shrimp and live green back Shad.

If there is a bridge or other access on the bay side or ICW or other access that seems to have deeper water near, I will try there. We rented a boat to go to “Crab Island”, that I fished from a bit. Like fresh water, look for some sort of structure, depth changes or grass patches.

The piers always seem to have fish too. I try to avoid, just since not my favorite thing to roast in the sun without being able to cool off. You are high up, so many lures don’t work. So need to change up some things. I personally did the best on this and saved it for Friday. I probably should have done earlier. The water where I was, was really clear from the pier, much was site fishing. 1/4 of the guys just sat around with 8” swim baits waiting for tarpon to swim by. Probably 15 or so hookups, none landed when I was there, but big fish. Easily 5’ long fish they were casting at. I tried casting a live green back near one and of course one of the dudes with the swim baits casted right in front of me and hooked up! I would have probably been spooled, but oh well.

I have done a few charter boats before, but haven’t since having kids. Back when I would vacation with groups of friends it was much easier to get a group. My son isn’t all too into fishing and a habit of motion sickness. I’ve seen grown men nonstop vomiting for hours. Those boats don’t turn around either. Maybe when he is a bit older, I’ll get him out.

When fishing in the spring and fall in NJ, it is a bit different. That is reading reports and hoping to time the striped bass migration. Most ocean fishing is sort of following migration though.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/25 20:40:11 (permalink)
I will be fishing for drum if anyone asks.   Large live baits or large fresh dead chunks.....all the same for shark or drum.....and I won't be using steel leaders....400# twisted mono bite leaders on 7-8' 400# casted leaders.   16/0 and 20/0 circles....., or, I can make a double drop leader with 12/0 circles and some beads on 100# mono and probably land a few.

Surf fishing.....for small stuff (whiting, pompano, etc.)....small fish finder rigs with bluegill to crappie sized hooks....cast out and bump it back in the surf on the bottom...fresh dead shrimp, fish bites arties, sand fleas if you find them.....chunked or stripped finger mullet all work...cast net is invaluable...if bait is running the surf.  Or, small circle hooks with dbl drop leaders, enough weight to suck it on the bottom, and cast out and throw it in a sand spike....my type of surf fishing...both hands free to sip a beer.  Rod doubled over or slack line.....fish on.

Surf for sharks, I have a 10' Tsunami spinning rod with an Okuma  eclipz  ez90 loaded with 65# powerpro.....casts a mile.   Also have a 12'0 Ocean master MH with a Penn 4/0 HLW with a couple hundred yards of 50# mono backed by about 500 yards of 50# powepro.   
When I lived in TX, I used my Erie gear (8' shimano trolling rods with tld 200's) with 30# braid and landed gobs of bull reds and sharks up to 5'.....was surprised I landed the sharks but I did.....enough line helps....

You can wade or pier fish sound side...never wade fished the carolinas much....can get yourself in trouble if it is mud vs. Sand bottom....so need to be careful.  Flounder, trout, slot reds....

High summer isn't the best fishing though...really warm water.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/25 21:17:47 (permalink)
Yeah, I think they more frown on the large shark fishing like you noted with the steel leaders and huge hooks. I recall guys on the pier saying that targeting sharks was illegal. Might just be from the pier.

I don’t mind that sort of fishing at all. It is similar to striper fishing, although you can get them a few ways. I’m just fine setting out spikes and drinking beers. Not so much at 5AM though with the beers.

We had way too much junegrass to do that sort of fishing. The one clear of grass day we had, I saw two bull reds cruising the edge of the first sandbar. The bait shop guys said people were hooking up with them if the grass allowed, using live pin fish. Which were easily available. Just didn’t get another clear day to give it a go.

One thing about surf fishing is just getting the right conditions or it just doesn’t happen.

Last year at EI, it was 20-30mph winds the entire week. I got one Spanish and one large flounder (out of season) and a bunch of lizard fish. It was frustrating. The time before that, I was doing C&R on the Spanish since I was catching too many. EI is limited access in the bay, so if wind is wiping, you only have so many options. There is supposedly good trout and red fishing if you can get to them. Kayak and boat rentals seem to be the best way if the surf doesn’t cooperate. I think some near the boat launch, but rather limited there too. Like you mentioned with the sand/mud thing. I think that is more broken oyster shells if memory is correct. I recall my son trying to wade there barefoot and didn’t go well.

There is also some access to the back at the point too. We stayed in that area the past two times there. Last time I brought my bike and set it up with a milk crate to hold gear and rod holder. So I was able to get into the sound. I was getting a lot of strikes, but not hooking up well there. When I did hook up, it was a stupid lizardfish…. I did get a small flounder there too. The big flounder and Spanish were at the mouth of the inlet, just before the ocean. I seem to always catch fish in that area. Either with lures or taking some live mullet from the bay portion over there. We got into a school of bluefish the one time doing that and was fun.
post edited by Porktown - 2022/07/25 21:25:12
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/25 22:16:52 (permalink)
C'mon Pork! What about the bikinis? We know about white sand.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/26 06:56:43 (permalink)
Porktown
Yeah, I think they more frown on the large shark fishing like you noted with the steel leaders and huge hooks. I recall guys on the pier saying that targeting sharks was illegal. Might just be from the pier.

I don’t mind that sort of fishing at all. It is similar to striper fishing, although you can get them a few ways. I’m just fine setting out spikes and drinking beers. Not so much at 5AM though with the beers.

We had way too much junegrass to do that sort of fishing. The one clear of grass day we had, I saw two bull reds cruising the edge of the first sandbar. The bait shop guys said people were hooking up with them if the grass allowed, using live pin fish. Which were easily available. Just didn’t get another clear day to give it a go.

One thing about surf fishing is just getting the right conditions or it just doesn’t happen.

Last year at EI, it was 20-30mph winds the entire week. I got one Spanish and one large flounder (out of season) and a bunch of lizard fish. It was frustrating. The time before that, I was doing C&R on the Spanish since I was catching too many. EI is limited access in the bay, so if wind is wiping, you only have so many options. There is supposedly good trout and red fishing if you can get to them. Kayak and boat rentals seem to be the best way if the surf doesn’t cooperate. I think some near the boat launch, but rather limited there too. Like you mentioned with the sand/mud thing. I think that is more broken oyster shells if memory is correct. I recall my son trying to wade there barefoot and didn’t go well.

There is also some access to the back at the point too. We stayed in that area the past two times there. Last time I brought my bike and set it up with a milk crate to hold gear and rod holder. So I was able to get into the sound. I was getting a lot of strikes, but not hooking up well there. When I did hook up, it was a stupid lizardfish…. I did get a small flounder there too. The big flounder and Spanish were at the mouth of the inlet, just before the ocean. I seem to always catch fish in that area. Either with lures or taking some live mullet from the bay portion over there. We got into a school of bluefish the one time doing that and was fun.

My best rig for flounder in TX was a double drop rig off a 3 way swivel....first drop, short lead, was a 1/8 oz jig head with a gulp shrimp or red/white paddle tail or similar and the trailing, longer lead, had a kahle hook with a bead or two tied on ahead of it.  Mouth hook (insert the hook into their mouth and out the back of their head) a live finger mullet or mud minnow.  Key to hooking the flounder, at least for me, was being patient after they bite.  If you set the hook right away, you'd almost always bring back a half a live bait or tail-less artificial....I tried to always let them mouth...give them a little slack with just the rod tip so they don't feel too much pressure....and only set the hook when they start to swim off with it...

Had times when I sat there patiently for 30, 45, 60 seconds while they messed with the bait....set the hook without them swimming off with it and came back with partial baits.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/26 08:30:59 (permalink)
EMitch
C'mon Pork! What about the bikinis? We know about white sand.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I miss the bikinis already!  A lot of good looking ladies in that area, or at least vacationed there.  Or, it could be just about any lady wearing a bikini or any bathing suit, looks a lot better showing some skin?  Middle of summer and fishing is pretty much early morning and maybe some evenings, had a lot of left over time to just enjoy the views.  There does seem to be a transition in style from those half thong type bottoms the past few years to something a bit more covering.  Those were kind of hard to walk the line between glancing a bit to staring...  I sort of welcome the transition back to something a bit less revealing for that aspect.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/27 08:11:50 (permalink)
Lizard fish were think in Emerald Isle this year. Funny thing is I never caught one in the Nags Head area. I guess maybe Nags Head is north of their typical range? 

My rifle is a black rifle
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/27 08:38:05 (permalink)
Used to catch them in the TX bays all the time....feel like a stick reeling it in the back water....scary looking, but harmless.....
never tried one for shark bait but may have to if they are prevalent in the surf in EI.  Hopefully we can get into the whiting (sea mullet) but, if they are decent size, may be tempted to keep some for a fish fry.  

High tides don't look to be lining up very well for me there in the evenings...may be solo'ing in the AM for High Tide fishing since my son probably won't get outta bed!!  

Unfortunately, high tide on a couple days, mid day, so unless the weather is bad, won't be putting out long lines for toothed fish on the beach....

In any case, any trip to the beach is a bazillion times better than commuting to dahntahn PBURGH for work.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/27 08:58:48 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/TFKqg21NhKI

This is what I am hoping for in less than 2 weeks, minus the break off (some colorful language at the end).  This was from a poster down in TX, night fishing by himself....
That was 80# braid set at 50# of drag...it dumped several hundred yards off the reel before it broke off....BIG shark....

Not long before that, he lost another good bite on his 80w (big gold offshore trolling reels you see)...it somehow got his 800# mono leader into its mouth (he did have a steel bite leader) and bit through it.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/27 11:18:29 (permalink)
Big whiting, just use the head and save the rest for fish fry. Win/win!

Lizards will hit tins pretty hard, then wet stick. At least get your heart racing for a second. When they don’t rip a run or two of drag, you know it isn’t a blue or Spanish. I’ve caught some 15”-18” ones that will pull a bit, but most you can tighten your drag and pull them out of the water without feeling much of anything.

Small hooks with small pieces of shrimp should get you some decent size panfish to use whole.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/27 12:40:54 (permalink)
Ordered some fishbites yesterday, shrimp and clam...will be here early next week.  
Need to go through and organize my other gear...hopefully I have enough spider weights and bigger weights...break offs inevitable...
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/27 13:15:01 (permalink)
Any of yinz ever fish in or around Charleston, SC?  Heading there in a few weeks to move one kid to college and another kid to a new job.  Will be staying at my daughter's house in Summerville, a half hour from downtown Charleston.  

Could definitely hit some of the beaches, but looking more to hit some of the rivers or marshes to wade fish.  Might look into a 1/2 charter or something too.  
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/28 12:08:09 (permalink)
I just fished on Kiawah from the beach and in the brackish ponds there in June.  Never fished Isle of Palms when we stayed there....just did the beach thing. 

If you can find access to the back side, lots of good looking water there...just can't say I ever fished it.  Be careful though...much bottom can suck you in pretty deep.....

Breach Inlet is probably your best shot at access.  There is a parking lot on both sides I think (IOP and Sullivans).  Always dolphins there though so kind of messes with fishing.
post edited by eyesandgillz - 2022/07/28 12:10:21
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/28 12:41:31 (permalink)
Thanks eyes.  

That Breach Inlet looks pretty nice on Google maps.  I'll give it a further look for sure.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/28 21:51:47 (permalink)
I’ve never fished Charleston, but a buddy of mine kayak fishes it with his brother that lives there. They crush reds and trout.

You may want to consider a guide instead of charter. Or both…. The guide will set you up with a spot or two that you can use in the future.

Or save your cash from those and buy your daughter two kayaks with the understanding that you and the boys can use at any time!

Are there gators in those back waters?
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/28 22:14:23 (permalink)
Yeah, guide is what I meant. Contacted two today that specialize in fly fishing for reds, which is like the holy grail for both my boys. Pretty reasonable rates and I was hoping the older one would learn some places he can go, because to be honest he’s going to school in Charleston so he can major in fly fishing for reds and duck hunting, and minor in accounting. He’ll be 15 minutes from his sister and bought a truck in the past year and has the money to buy something that floats. He’s talked about a paddle board so he can stand more easily to fly fish instead of a yak.

Gators seem to be pretty common in the rivers and canals there. They have seen quite a few in all of their trips there in the past year.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/28 22:59:17 (permalink)
Sounds like a good plan. If he can do from an inflatable paddle board, would be much easier to store for a college kid. Would be interesting watching someone duck hunt from a paddle board.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/29 08:58:29 (permalink)
Yes, gators everywhere down there.....they'll leave you alone for the most part but, there was just a lady killed/partially consumed by 2 gators I think down in Myrtle earlier this summer....that will give you the warm and fuzzies.

Just FYI, a "good," wide SOT yak is plenty stable for standing and if you don't have the best balance, you can buy a simple outrigger for them.  For fishing w/ gear, dry storage, regular storage, ability to sit comfortably, etc. I would def. recommend the yak over the paddle board.  He can even use it in the surf to get out deeper for spanish, etc.

If he gets one with foot pedals and rudder ($$$) he can fish miles and miles everyday and be in great shape too!  As Pork said though, storage can be an issue but if he is able to store it somewhere free or cheap, that is the way I would go if I lived down there (well, I'd have a boat or two, too!).  

Sounds like he will be living the dream..
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/29 11:11:42 (permalink)
Good info on the SOT yak eyes.  Balance, strength, and endurance are 0 issue for him - he's been in the gym 7 days a week for the last 2 years.  About the opposite of how you probably remember me from high school.  

He'll be able to store stuff at my daughter's place, about 15 minutes from campus.  She'll be on a travel nurse contract and is renting a brand new townhouse so she'll have plenty of space for his gear.  

I've reminded him that on duck hunts down there that in addition to gators, he needs to be on the lookout for cottonmouths.  He has been to a few school related events this summer already and has met a few guys who live near there who hunt and fish, so hopefully it's not something he'll be doing alone.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/01 08:22:58 (permalink)
I figured out how to use tube jigs and not get hung up on every other cast...  Weedless worm hook and light weight.  I was having issues getting any takes on senkos from my kayak, so I gave them a shot again.  Worked much better for me from the kayak.  I didn't destroy fish, but landed enough to make for a good day.  Senkos, for me at least and probably due to always wading with them, require that I anchor or get out and wade.  I had maybe 1-2 hookups trying to drift fish with them.  The cast and retrieve with the tube jigs was much more productive and just seemed easier to do while drifting, than trying to maintain a natural drift with tight enough line to feel the take.  Or, they maybe just wanted tubes and not senkos...  As I think MyWar noted above, fish seemed to be more in the moving water or right below.  Likely more oxygen.  Not much, besides seeing a ton of carp/drum/suckers in the deeper slower moving water. 
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/01 09:41:54 (permalink)
Caught one wiper, one walleye and one old oil can fishing pool 3 over the weekend. I heard there is a bass tournament this weekend, so I'll be doing boat and house maintenance.  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/01 10:25:51 (permalink)
Porktown
The cast and retrieve with the tube jigs was much more productive and just seemed easier to do while drifting,

What kind of a retrieve do you use with the tube jig? I’ve found with the ned rigs that you almost can’t fish them too slow. Alternating between basically dead sticking to just dragging super super slow across the bottom with lots of pauses gets bit most often. You get hung up a lot more though.

I got a random sauger on a ned rig near perryopolis last week. Decent size, would have been a good eater if I had a cooler packed with ice.

Might be up on the Allegheny again this weekend, weather permitting.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/01 11:26:39 (permalink)
I was casting, letting sink to the bottom then jerking it once or twice and letting it sink again, repeat.  Pretty slow retrieve.  Often they would hit it on the initial sink, other times following it a bit before striking.  Using weedless worm hooks with lead poured on the hook shank.  I think 1/16 oz, but likely could have gone a little heavier.  Those hooks do a bit of tearing on the plastics.  I was using Berkley Powerbait version, which is not as forgiving as many other plastics.  I need to grab some of the weedless tube jigheads, but haven't seen any in 1/16 oz yet.  They look like they'd keep in place after catching fish a little better.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/02 19:56:28 (permalink)
Anyone know the cut off for fishable water in the Yough? Gauge at Sutersville is 1800cf/s. Looks like median is a little over 1100. Looks like some more rain this week too. I was hoping to get out on the weekend. My kids’ schedules are going to explode in about 2-3 weeks and my work usually goes nuts from mid August through Sept.

Mid summer Arthur has typically been rough for me, but if the river is looking out of the question, I might be ripe for a good ole Arthur skunking…
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/02 21:34:54 (permalink)
Why don't you try green lick or something similar?  
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/02 23:38:34 (permalink)
It looks like the yough is cresting just under 4.3 ft at sutersville right now (I usually look at the height not the discharge). I’ve been out on it in the spring at about the level its at right now and it’s totally fishable and not dangerous. Water clarity might be an issue tho.

It looks like they didn’t get as much rain up north. The Allegheny at Franklin and French creek at Utica look great right now. If I wanted to get out on a river within the next 24 hours I would head up there.

Hard to say what anything will be like this weekend though. I’m hoping to drop in the Allegheny at either Tionesta or West Hickory this weekend, but I’m also watching the weather and hoping the rain doesn’t blow the river out before then.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 39
Jump to: