Helpful ReplyHot!protest opinions

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 19
Author
JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 780
  • Reward points: 0
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 18:29:15 (permalink)
The Democrat party for most of it’s history has stood and supported racism in all forms. The party supported and defended slavery, the Klan, Native American removal, Jim Crow laws, segregation, and many more blatantly racist activities. 

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 19:04:39 (permalink)
I suggest from their past racist activities that the Democrat party needs to be removed from our political electoral system. At the minimum they need to change their name to something less offensive to those that know their history.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11971
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 19:11:13 (permalink)
jerrys
Anyone with common sense knew the kneeling was not about disrespecting the military or flag. This was just a false patriotic narrative by Trump

On the other foot.... anyone with common sense knows that protesting can be accomplished without promoting division through hate and discontent.

Burning, looting and causing bodily harm to persons doing their job is no way protesting. It is however, creating division, hate and discontent.

Violent protesting only gains support from those wishing, to keep division and discrimination alive and well.

For decades we've heard from politicians promising change.

For decades we watched any politician attempting change, be shamed & beat down via the national & local news networks.

Anyone with common sense can see Donald Trump does not "take a knee" to the national & local news media.

Anyone with common sense can see, those finding joy in seeing Trump having to jump hurdles day in and day out, are those who promote crime, division, hate and, discontent.

As said in the ole country, Trump Thumpers accuse, as they themselves do.

So tell me, in Seattle, Atlanta, Philadelphia..... what is the true purpose of burning down and looting private businesses?

So tell me, what's the true purpose for the "Land of Chaz".

...... just to hear more promises or to keep promised changes from becoming reality.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE... by who?

(credited to Lennon–McCartney)
........ all I am saying, is give peace a chance.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/06/14 19:25:13

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

easy1
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 19:17:56 (permalink)
I use to stop at the fish USA store when I was in town, buy on line from time to time also but no more. I don't want my dollars paying for this crap. This use to be a sporting forum. Also afraid fish USA owners agree with about half a dozen of you squirrels

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 19:35:46 (permalink)
easy1
I use to stop at the fish USA store when I was in town, buy on line from time to time also but no more. I don't want my dollars paying for this crap. This use to be a sporting forum. Also afraid fish USA owners agree with about half a dozen of you squirrels

Welp easy1, the best I can figure, you've been a member since 2008 and I've only seen a total three post by you.

One asking for help in locating a taxidermist, to which you received several helpful replys.

One to run your gums about me annnnd now your latest to whimper.

Sucks to be you.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

EMitch
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 19:38:52 (permalink)
Geez, easy1!! Please note this is an off topic thread. There's plenty of fishing threads to contribute to. Can't believe you'd boycott the business because of an opinion thread. Now we all have to purchase more to make up for the loss of your business.

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho for the rest of your life.
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 19:45:28 (permalink)
pensfan1
And that's exactly what a white man would say...

Are you saying that only a white man can understand simple math in the form of ratio and proportions? You are more racist than you know.

Edited for context.

DarDys
pensfan1
Maybe my wording was alittle confusing. I am definetly ethnic, Italian and Syrian. I would consider anyone who roots come from the Mayflower or any other Eastern European ( WASP) country a non ethinic. 

Look, if you can't see that black n brown have been mistreated here in the USA, then you don't know any history. From slavery and Jim Crowe after that to Wallace and what LE does now, its all the same. A white man gets pulled over now and he gets a warning or a ticket. A black man gets pulled over and they have a 50/50 chance of not dying on the spot. Here's the difference...

If you really believe that a black man has a 50/50 chance of dying on the spot, then you have the IQ of 3-minute egg. 

There are over 36 million police contacts (all races) per year and if what you state is even close to true, there would be 100’s of thousands of dead black men at the hands of the police each year. There haven’t been that many In the history of the country. 

Not defending those that there were if they were indeed unlawful, but just stop with the fantasy that every black male is or should fear for their lives everytime they step out of the door, because it simply isn’t true.

post edited by JM2 - 2020/06/14 20:24:22
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 20:44:28 (permalink)
pensfan1, here kitty, kitty, kitty.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 20:57:47 (permalink)
Just listening Dr Wilfred Reilly; Assistant Professor of Political Science at Kentucky State University, what a well educated man and speaker.

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 21:55:41 (permalink)
Like I said, if hating angry whitemen for what they think of black and brown citizens, then yes I'm a racist.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2020/06/14 22:00:32
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 22:09:25 (permalink)
I identify myself as a white man, not angry, but a white man. How could you possibly know as an ethnic individual how I feel about black or brown people?
JerryS
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 22:20:27 (permalink)
ICE NUT
JerryS
ICE NUT
The person I admire the most is Dr. Martin Luther King and im not just saying that.What he accomplished was simply amazing.He did it peacefully and I'm sure he would be rolling in his grave with the violent protests going on now. I believe what he said about don't judge a person by the color of their skin but by their character. Ive tried my best to live up to those words and when I see looting and burning and harm to innocent people I have a hard time defending their character.

Honest question.  If you truly believe you should judge a person by their character, how can you possibly support President Trump? Most Trump supporters state his character is not important, what he accomplishes is all that matters. 

I can apply this logic to the current protests.  While I don't agree with the looting and rioting, I can understanding why it is happening.  Peaceful protests have corrected no wrongs.  Look what the peaceful kneeling protests got Colin Kaepernick and others.  They got fired, called anti-American, etc...  Anyone with common sense knew the kneeling was not about disrespecting the military or flag.  This was just a false patriotic narrative by Trump to further divide our nation.  As I stated earlier, these protests may have started with George Floyd, but they are now directly tied to the continuous inflammatory Trump rhetoric.  He is basically challenging them to a fight every day.  Not very smart leadership.

Trying to make your country a better place by fighting injustices is one of the most patriotic things you can do.

Jerry the most patriotic thing you can do is serving your country not by looting and burning and being a lawless thug. I guess you think the Clinton's were of fine character huh.How's JFK another womanizing swine.How can you support the murdering democratic party with their abortion(aka choice) agenda. and now you have old sleepy joe thw woman sniffing,finger poking male abuserwith power another fine example of what you call character Really Jerry.  I agree there have been injustices How's how the country rounded up thousands of Japanese American citizens took them from there homes and business carted them off to camps.American 's mind you.Havn't ever e\heard a one burn or loot anything down in spite of what was done to them they rose above it,educated their selves and moved on from it.

I asked an honest question hoping to get an honest answer, but you offered nothing about Trump's character.  All you did was accuse me of supporting the Clinton's, JFK, abortions, and Joe Biden without any proof.

Here are some facts:
  • I was 2 years old when JFK was killed.  I have no idea what his character was.
  • I voted for Bill Clinton.  I liked most of his policies when he was president, but my views of him went way downhill when all the dirt on the Clinton Foundation came out.
  • I could not stand Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump so I did not vote in 2016.  If voting was mandatory I would have voted for Trump since he was somewhat of an unknown quantity at that time.  After the last three years, I will vote for anyone running against him, with one exception.  If Biden would pick Hillary Clinton for vice president, I would sit out this election too. 
  • As a male, I struggle with taking a hard stance either way on the abortion issue, but I don't think the answer is thru legislation. Democrats don't corner the market on abortion.  Depending on the poll you look at, 35 to 60 percent of republicans support abortion in all or some situations.  
  • I am very disappointed in the Democrat nominee, Joe Biden.  We have 330 million people in the US and the best we could do is Trump vs Biden?   I will vote for Biden.  With his 44 years in national politics, he has forged friendships on both side of the aisle.  Maybe this could help re-unite the country.  
Now that I've explained my views, maybe you can provide an answer to my question about your opinion on Trump's character. 
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 22:58:28 (permalink)
Fair enough, but I can only ask that you research Bidens 44 years of  "forging friendships". The guy has been corrupted, and bought and paid for by almost anyone that has had dealing with him.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 23:09:53 (permalink)
So LE shoots and kills another unarmed black man during a traffic stop. His name is Rayshard Brooks. Tell how 50/50 chance is a buncha BS.

F all this dumb chit.
JerryS
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 23:19:11 (permalink)
JM2
Fair enough, but I can only ask that you research Bidens 44 years of  "forging friendships". The guy has been corrupted, and bought and paid for by almost anyone that has had dealing with him.

Unfortunately we only have two choices.  Pick your poison.
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 23:34:47 (permalink)
JerryS
JM2

Unfortunately we only have two choices.  Pick your poison.

Corruption versus competency. I'm not sure I need to explain things any further.
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/14 23:50:47 (permalink)
Just to be clear, I still don't believe Biden will be the Democrat's candidate. Unless of course they have no desire to win the presidency, and are only trying to protect their down ballot candidates.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3426
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 06:40:40 (permalink)
pensfan1
So LE shoots and kills another unarmed black man during a traffic stop. His name is Rayshard Brooks. Tell how 50/50 chance is a buncha BS.

F all this dumb chit.

Come on....you aren't believing the false narrative now being put out on that one...
I saw quite a bit of the video on that one.   Standard, 43 minute! interaction with the DUI suspect....all is pretty calm during the field sobriety test.  Then, when they go to actually arrest him, he resists, quite a bit I must say, even punching an officer in the face....as the suspect struggles with the two officers on the ground, trying to get his weapon, he actually gets his taser.  Suspect regains his feet, starts to run away, then reaches behind and shoots the taser at the pursuing office.  If the suspect was white, red, brown, tan....or pink, I'd expect the pursuing officer to put down that suspect under those circumstances, all day, every day.  THAT IS HIS FRIKCIN' JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just waiting for the blue flu to hit many departments.  It should hit the Atlanta PD after this one.  Feel bad for the cop for being immediately fired...talk about a knee jerk reaction.  

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  If this suspect would have complied, he would be alive today, most likely sitting in his living room watching tv the next day after he sobered up and made bail or was ROR.  
The Atlanta situation is TOTALLY different than the George Floyd incident.  And if you can't see that, than I lost an extreme amount of respect I had for your differing views.
post edited by eyesandgillz - 2020/06/15 08:31:16
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 06:49:31 (permalink)
Four decades of Biden & we still hear him saying he will "fix things" he said he would fix, four decades ago. Unless of course you are a Biden Family member, then you get things "fixed". Biden being true to his character.

Four years ago Donald Trump announces he will run for president and I said WTH is this showboat trying to prove now?

Fast forward to present day and I see a man who left a cushy private life, taking no pay, jumping hurdle after hurdle trying to keep his promises to the American people who voted him into the White House.

In addition, since taking office, Trump has had his entire family berated & besmirched by the anti-America news media. Never have I seen such disrespect, hate, and discontent displayed toward one man and his entire family.

Anyone having to work under such conditions certainly displays self-reliance, endurance, and courage... also known as character.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 07:27:17 (permalink)
pensfan1

F all this dumb chit.

....... all this dumb chit.

You mean like all the other murders committed in Atlanta this past week?

Not to worry, I'm not going to bring up the other cities where murders are on the uprise.

In other news.... Vigilantes, some carrying baseball bats and metal poles, stood guard Sunday at the Christopher Columbus statue in South Philadelphia.......

The group was approached by "peaceful" protesters having opposing views.

This time, the police were available to 'defuse' the situation as the mayor of Philadelphia denounces ‘vigilantism'.

.... "peaceful protesters" can burn down a town, but let "peaceful protesters" unite to protect their property and it's ‘vigilantism'?

Now that there's, some chit. I don't care who you are. jus'sayin"😉

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2205
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 07:36:15 (permalink)
Todays Police have to arrest by law and policy far too often IMHO.
In the old days if we had run into a guy drunk and sleeping in his car in a place like they did in Atlanta with  no accident and no disturbance or no one hurt -we woulda parked his car and driven him home.
Then came the time ya couldn't do that stuff anymore and ya had to take action- we were depicted as adding to the problem by ignoring the drunk behavior- Now ya gotta arrest- 

This guy didn't seem agitated till arrest time- that don't make it right but in the old days -wellll things were different.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 07:47:06 (permalink)
Speakin of some chit.... because of a "cop gone mad" we should chastise and victimize all cops??

Welp, former Mayor and Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo, perhaps Philadelphia’s best-known Italian American, who was criticized for his aggressive tactics toward the black and g@y communities.

So how should we feel about this situation?? jus'askin'
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/06/15 07:48:48

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7639
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 09:18:40 (permalink)
r3g3
Todays Police have to arrest by law and policy far too often IMHO.
In the old days if we had run into a guy drunk and sleeping in his car in a place like they did in Atlanta with  no accident and no disturbance or no one hurt -we woulda parked his car and driven him home.
Then came the time ya couldn't do that stuff anymore and ya had to take action- we were depicted as adding to the problem by ignoring the drunk behavior- Now ya gotta arrest- 

This guy didn't seem agitated till arrest time- that don't make it right but in the old days -wellll things were different.

I agree with this 100%.  On many issues, it is the law (or policy), not the law enforcement that is the problem. 

If officers are allowed or encouraged to do things like noted, with the suspects not fearing arrest, MANY of these resisting arrest situations would be avoided.  Like r3g3 noted, if accident, disturbance or someone hurt with a DUI, I think additional punishment if over the legal limit.  But how this law seems to constantly evolve, i.e. "buzzed driving is drunk driving", to me, causes much more resentment of law enforcement.  This law is constantly changing that makes more people "criminals" than it does good for the general public.  I think marijuana fits this same, the law is the problem over the enforcement.  Make it legal to buy and possess a certain amount (tax the crap out of it to help pay police salaries) and ends up having one less thing that a good portion of the population aren't resenting the police over.  

I do think the talk about law enforcement reform, has a lot more to do with law reform than it does with 95% of the individuals in law enforcement.  No one should be getting hammered and behind a wheel.  I am also not in the "nothing wrong at all with marijuana".  But how can we have by far the most of our citizens in prison of any free society?  We have far too many laws that are making our citizens criminals.  Most in law enforcement are just enforcing the laws.

I haven't heard much about the return of the "asylums" that was talked about a few years back.  Whether or not those with severe mental illness are the culprits of many crimes, I am pretty sure they aren't.  I would have to imagine they are a source of a good bit of disturbance and other calls that law enforcement has to deal with.  Many are living on the streets of major cities and at the very least, causing some residents and others to call the police when they feel threatened or concerned watching them use public streets as bathrooms.  I can only imagine in some areas, an hour per day is likely being spent dealing with calls involving these people.  Take that burden, the DUI (unless reckless) and marijuana possession off of their workloads and you have some officers that are at least more rested and ready to deal with more pressing issues.

I know talking to my neighbor while we were in the red for coronavirus, I asked what changed for them.  He said that they only responded to urgent calls.  He said they get calls for everything.  Neighbor's dog barking, sidewalks/streets needing repairs, smelling gas (which would be urgent), and other issues that aren't really any sort of crime that they do their best to be the jack of all trades.  I asked about businesses operating.  He said that there was no directive at all to stop anyone from making money unless there was a large crowd gathering that they would usually disperse when they would just drive to the scene and not even have to roll down their window. 

Which hearing what some are saying about reform, being more about having police being asked to do things they aren't meant for, makes complete sense.  Should police be responsible for disabled vehicles?  They are obviously good to control the traffic around, if on a highway, etc.  But, I'd personally rather see a mechanic pull up in a truck with a light bar to control traffic, even if he has the authority to give a citation for being broken down.  They can do in a way that doesn't cause dispute (take down info and mail the citation) or if someone appears to be an issue, they are connected to the same dispatch to have police backup in no time.  Guys responding "send the social worker to a double murder, yeah, that is smart"...  Seriously?  There is definitely a risk evaluation of who is sent where.  I would imagine most police Chiefs would love to have these other professionals to send when Granny is calling about her missing dog or disabled vehicle.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4684
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 10:03:59 (permalink)
I’ll agree with Pork on this one on many fronts.

The attorney was on this morning and stated that the police should have let him go and apprehended him later. This would have sent a clear signal that if one resists arrest, up to and including taking and officer’s weapon and attempting to use it on the officer, they will be let go and can take their chances of being caught at some future time.

With regard to sending social workers, which is at the center of the defund the police movement, my wife worked as a social worker in our county for 17 years. She has walked in, unaccompanied by law enforcement, to houses that had non responsive, drugged out people. Her coworkers have been shoved to the ground and physically struck. A coworker had a gun pulled on them. A coworker was struck by a vehicle on purpose. And this is in a small, semi-rural area, so I cannot imagine what goes on and would definitely increase in a more populated environment with an even bigger drug problem. In addition, these were homes that the involved social worker already had a relationship with. This is just asking for a social worker to get killed, particularly if it is a domestic dispute call.

As for the laws being the problem, the guy that died (all officers were found not responsible) in NYC was being arrested for selling loose cigarettes (for the umpteenth time). Apparently the NYC lawmakers found it vitally important to have this law in place. Why? I’m guessing the cops would rather not deal with this type of law (or the size of soda law or plastic straw law).

A friend of ours works for the Tampa (maybe Clearwater) police department. His job is to respond to disabled vehicles and accidents so that the “real” police are freed up for crime. He can issue citations and is connected if arrests are needed. This seems to work well.

I’ll add that another friend, a now retired PA State Trooper, spent his last 4 years parked at construction sites so as to enforce the speeding through construction site laws (which I happen to agree with). The problem was, that is what he was permitted to do — sit there. He was not permitted to actually chase someone that violated the law, although he could make a call to try to have another trooper respond beyond the construction zone (which worked so infrequently that they didn’t bother) for fear of getting someone injured or killed in the construction zone during the chase. So he sat there, streaming movies and sports, racking up overtime to the tune of doubling his salary (and, by extension, his pension). Could this not have been done with someone other than a trooper. Maybe even an empty car?
post edited by DarDys - 2020/06/15 10:29:18

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 10:35:54 (permalink)
DarDys

I am not at all disputing the "let him go after he resists".  I am agreeing with r3g3, that he shouldn't have been arrested in the first place.  If not trying to arrest him, he is not resisting.  To me, the officer did his job and had to defend himself.  But the law/policy in the first place, should have to not arrest.

My wife was a social worker for 5 years before becoming a teacher, in mostly urban areas.  She dealt with exactly what you noted.  Did you miss what I wrote about risk evaluation?  Domestic disputes should never be dealt with by a social worker alone.  I'm sure r3g3 could confirm that they are either the top or very close to, most dangerous situations for armed police to respond to.  Many situations that you describe should have police presence.  Domestic disputes should have police respond first to assess the danger level and accompany the social worker if and only if they deem the level to be safe.  Not requiring the police to try their best at being a social worker, which they are currently being asked to do.  I would think social workers wouldn't mind a bit more team approach as well.  You explained part of how this system is broken.

The NYC thing, is exactly what I was saying about having stupid laws to make people criminals.

Glad to see that some areas already have programs in place.  I am pretty sure that is what those State Farm trucks on highways in Pittsburgh area do as well.  I am not sure if they are linked to the police or not or able to issue citations or other.  

Whether or not it is how some are thinking reform, I think it just makes sense.  What profession really enjoys having to do 3-4 "other people's job"?  I know when I have to pick up the slack for co-workers who's responsibility a task or two is, it builds resentment.  There are times when I have too much going on, that resentment is built up and I "lash out" at people.  Usually in the form of "seriously, I am just done giving a hoot about this job" or something similar.  If my job involved me carrying a firearm and dealing with someone that was trying to either beat me or kill me, I wouldn't be waiting around to see if they chose the kill me option.  Yet on a day where I was ready to lash out over being asked to do too much.
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 913
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 11:05:35 (permalink)
JerryS
ICE NUT
JerryS
ICE NUT
The person I admire the most is Dr. Martin Luther King and im not just saying that.What he accomplished was simply amazing.He did it peacefully and I'm sure he would be rolling in his grave with the violent protests going on now. I believe what he said about don't judge a person by the color of their skin but by their character. Ive tried my best to live up to those words and when I see looting and burning and harm to innocent people I have a hard time defending their character.

Honest question.  If you truly believe you should judge a person by their character, how can you possibly support President Trump? Most Trump supporters state his character is not important, what he accomplishes is all that matters. 

I can apply this logic to the current protests.  While I don't agree with the looting and rioting, I can understanding why it is happening.  Peaceful protests have corrected no wrongs.  Look what the peaceful kneeling protests got Colin Kaepernick and others.  They got fired, called anti-American, etc...  Anyone with common sense knew the kneeling was not about disrespecting the military or flag.  This was just a false patriotic narrative by Trump to further divide our nation.  As I stated earlier, these protests may have started with George Floyd, but they are now directly tied to the continuous inflammatory Trump rhetoric.  He is basically challenging them to a fight every day.  Not very smart leadership.

Trying to make your country a better place by fighting injustices is one of the most patriotic things you can do.

Jerry the most patriotic thing you can do is serving your country not by looting and burning and being a lawless thug. I guess you think the Clinton's were of fine character huh.How's JFK another womanizing swine.How can you support the murdering democratic party with their abortion(aka choice) agenda. and now you have old sleepy joe thw woman sniffing,finger poking male abuserwith power another fine example of what you call character Really Jerry.  I agree there have been injustices How's how the country rounded up thousands of Japanese American citizens took them from there homes and business carted them off to camps.American 's mind you.Havn't ever e\heard a one burn or loot anything down in spite of what was done to them they rose above it,educated their selves and moved on from it.

I asked an honest question hoping to get an honest answer, but you offered nothing about Trump's character.  All you did was accuse me of supporting the Clinton's, JFK, abortions, and Joe Biden without any proof.

Here are some facts:
  • I was 2 years old when JFK was killed.  I have no idea what his character was.
  • I voted for Bill Clinton.  I liked most of his policies when he was president, but my views of him went way downhill when all the dirt on the Clinton Foundation came out.
  • I could not stand Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump so I did not vote in 2016.  If voting was mandatory I would have voted for Trump since he was somewhat of an unknown quantity at that time.  After the last three years, I will vote for anyone running against him, with one exception.  If Biden would pick Hillary Clinton for vice president, I would sit out this election too. 
  • As a male, I struggle with taking a hard stance either way on the abortion issue, but I don't think the answer is thru legislation. Democrats don't corner the market on abortion.  Depending on the poll you look at, 35 to 60 percent of republicans support abortion in all or some situations.  
  • I am very disappointed in the Democrat nominee, Joe Biden.  We have 330 million people in the US and the best we could do is Trump vs Biden?   I will vote for Biden.  With his 44 years in national politics, he has forged friendships on both side of the aisle.  Maybe this could help re-unite the country.  
Now that I've explained my views, maybe you can provide an answer to my question about your opinion on Trump's character. 

Jerry your facts seem to suggest you do support Clinton's, and you will support Biden,and im sure by not voting that's a really good patriotic thing to not do right. I agree trump's character rsnks up there with your democratic scoundrels But as I think you posted earlier pick your poison. I vote for trump b/c of his policies,mostly economic,but also his promises to bring our troops home from these needless nation building conflicts.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4684
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 11:40:36 (permalink)
Porktown
DarDys

I am not at all disputing the "let him go after he resists".  I am agreeing with r3g3, that he shouldn't have been arrested in the first place.  If not trying to arrest him, he is not resisting.  To me, the officer did his job and had to defend himself.  But the law/policy in the first place, should have to not arrest.

My wife was a social worker for 5 years before becoming a teacher, in mostly urban areas.  She dealt with exactly what you noted.  Did you miss what I wrote about risk evaluation?  Domestic disputes should never be dealt with by a social worker alone.  I'm sure r3g3 could confirm that they are either the top or very close to, most dangerous situations for armed police to respond to.  Many situations that you describe should have police presence.  Domestic disputes should have police respond first to assess the danger level and accompany the social worker if and only if they deem the level to be safe.  Not requiring the police to try their best at being a social worker, which they are currently being asked to do.  I would think social workers wouldn't mind a bit more team approach as well.  You explained part of how this system is broken.

The NYC thing, is exactly what I was saying about having stupid laws to make people criminals.

Glad to see that some areas already have programs in place.  I am pretty sure that is what those State Farm trucks on highways in Pittsburgh area do as well.  I am not sure if they are linked to the police or not or able to issue citations or other.  

Whether or not it is how some are thinking reform, I think it just makes sense.  What profession really enjoys having to do 3-4 "other people's job"?  I know when I have to pick up the slack for co-workers who's responsibility a task or two is, it builds resentment.  There are times when I have too much going on, that resentment is built up and I "lash out" at people.  Usually in the form of "seriously, I am just done giving a hoot about this job" or something similar.  If my job involved me carrying a firearm and dealing with someone that was trying to either beat me or kill me, I wouldn't be waiting around to see if they chose the kill me option.  Yet on a day where I was ready to lash out over being asked to do too much.

I was agreeing with everything you wrote.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 12:08:03 (permalink)
Half of my response was just rambling thoughts on the subject and not really directed at you or anyone.  I am guessing some of yours might have been as well.

I think most things in life can use "reforms".  Often the answers are in history.  Not every new change is a good change.  Maybe it has good intentions, but the consequences are more damaging than the intention.  We are seeing some of that play out with the pandemic.  I am not debating the "solution is worse than the problem", since it is currently playing out and no one really knows what would have or currently will happen.  But hopefully we can have an issue where two sides don't just dig trenches and "the other side is wrong about everything".

I am glad that most of what I have discussed on this thread was not political partisanship talking points and mostly ideas of what could be changes (only talking about what I have been part of).  I am sure that will change as soon as each side has their clear trenches dug.  Which unfortunately, I have a feeling will happen if it hasn't already.  Hopefully those trenches don't change many of our minds of what our individual ideas are.  Obviously, each of us has a right to change opinions after hearing what others have to say.  Just hope most of us don't only listen to one side and change all individual ideas to that side, which seems to happen at times.  Not directed at anyone on here, just see it happen everywhere.

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2205
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 12:13:57 (permalink)
Ya gotta remember it wasn't the Cops that changed the way things were but society.
MADD had good points and it changed everything- if ya didn't arrest impared drivers after they had the laws changed it was hard times  for the Officer.
Then they turned round and wanted Community Policing where ya 'understood' the community and were nice guys. 
Cant be both ways.
Met one of my best friends fighting outside a local Bar.
The second time I broke up a street fight there and sent both parties off in opposite directions  he confided he was the bartender getting rid of troublemakers.
As time went on I became the Bouncer in that bar.
Every time there was a fight ( and it was a place with many) I broke it up and barred the combatants for a week.
In those days people 'GOT IT' when treated fairly.
No more -
If a cop does those things today he is met with an internal complaint by the very people he took care of the day before sooooo - arrest.
'Street cops' used to have latitude in how they handled their given areas-they got to know who was who -now its- by the book -or your toast.

Oh yea- someone said Domestic calls are dangerous- YES- emotions run high and a seemingly under control situation can blow up into great violence in an instant.
NEVER let your guard down on a domestic.
We used to take one to a relative or hotel if we could  to separate them till they calm down-otherwise ya were often  back there time after time the same day.

Remember making the mistake in a heated domestic of asking if either of them had a divorce lawyer- they both went off big time on me- said they were in love and didn't need a lawyer.
Ya can never think ya got a domestic figured out lol.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/06/15 12:35:16
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: protest opinions 2020/06/15 14:40:31 (permalink)
Good discussion. So who is responsible for the turmoil we see spreading, faster than Covid-19, through our cities & towns?

Is this a new crises, or a continuation of years past?

In other news, Cuomo says folks being bad... shut 'er down again. de Blasio says Butt Wait... no way in his city USA.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 19
Jump to: