Question about first time ice fishing

Author
konarktriv7
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2020/05/15 09:09:42 (permalink)

Question about first time ice fishing

Hey there, just found this community today and I have been scrolling through all the top posts, loving every second of it. Some great people and great fish in each one.
I am a super casual fisherman, only go a couple times a year when visiting a friend's cottage, and this year we are trying ice fishing for the first time. (Southern ON - Parry Sound region).
Assuming the ice is thick enough when we're there, and after we are registered, etc, we hope to fish for walleye and pike. That being said, I was doing some research and was wondering about pickerel, as someone had told me once that walleye and pickerel were the same fish with 2 different names.
Is this true? Also, what are some other decent lake fish for eating? I know there aren't many. Any tips for ice fishing / general fishing would be appreciated, thank you so much!

1 Reply Related Threads

Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Question about first time ice fishing 2020/05/15 17:14:00 (permalink)
    konark, My best advice would be to look up Ice Shanty.com which is dedicated strictly to ice fishing. It may be a little slow at this time of the year but will pick up the closer we get to the fall/winter season. As for your question, walleye and pickerel are two different species. Walleye are much better eating and tend to get bigger than pickerel. Walleye are a member of the perch family as pickerel are a pike. I'm sure some people would amend my list but I only keep perch, crappies, and walleye to eat. I'm sure others would add trout, bluegill, and bass, rock bass, catfish, etc. What I have found just about any fish out of good cold water is hard to beat. Hope this helps.   Lou
    Jump to: