Springtime projects

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11317
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 12:04:56 (permalink)
Crappiefisher you mention the use of a "water level" might this be a device, upwards of, hundreds of feet long?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2833
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 12:21:58 (permalink)
 Yes Sir, Water don't lie. A laser level can still be out ov wack if not properly set up or bumped. Done cleaning the ceiling joists ov plaster left behind from lafts now gotta start bonding & brading more oak up. Think time to turn stereo on some good tunes to make more enjoyable.

crappy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 12:28:44 (permalink)
Crappiefisher, I've used the device many times, one time, a homemade device using 3 (100') sections of (cheap) garden hose and boiler sightglass.

When it comes to level, you betcha, water don't lie.

Did I mention I used it to install a sewer line, in "85" and still in use today?

Water Levels are available online and could be an asset, with certain projects. Just make certain there is noooo air bubbles or kinks.😣 Oh my.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/14 13:39:14

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1124
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 19:30:32 (permalink)
New roof looks great fisherlady, and I've gotta agree that the pics of the inside are really cool. Amazing what people could do back then, and the age of that barn is a testament to how well it was done. Certain things like the roof and siding finally give up the ghost, but the structure of it looks extremely soild. Probably still last longer than many houses built today. πŸ‘πŸ‘
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/17 06:49:58 (permalink)
Dirt got delivered yesterday so I took advantage of the beautiful weather to get the raised beds finished. This also let me work on the stunted fish problem in one of the ponds as I pulled out 4 dozen small bass/ bluegill and planted them in the bottom of the gardens. Free fertilizer!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/17 06:51:51 (permalink)
Question for you all. Has anyone ever used liquid fence? I was thinking about throwing it down once I get the plants in to deter the deer and other critters. Just wondered how well it worked.
Stump Jumper
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/17 07:43:52 (permalink)
We’re did you get those garden boxes? They look great!
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/17 08:10:24 (permalink)
Stump Jumper
We’re did you get those garden boxes? They look great!

Thanks! I made the boxes. Spent weeks this spring pouring concrete (should have made more than 4 forms). If you look back a few pages I posted the link to where I got the idea
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1357
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/17 22:26:36 (permalink)
Newest project is increasing my apiary. This was the 2nd swarm of the weekend 

Attachment(s)

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/17 23:24:13 (permalink)
Sweet Mike..., no pun intended.πŸ™„

Did the swarm take to your beehive?

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/18 05:00:49 (permalink)
Very cool.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/18 10:12:06 (permalink)
BTDT, 
I believe so but I’ll wait a few days to be sure. I also had a swarm move into a dead out that was sitting in the apiary. Can’t beat free 🐝s

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/18 10:32:26 (permalink)
Mike that's really cool. I did some reading and found it very interesting just how swarms can be transfered to a bucket, box, ect by cutting or gently shaking the item to which the swarm has attached itself. 😳Then I read where the bees can be "gently" scooped by hand..... Ummm, I don't think so, thank you very much. lol

Also mentioned, once transfered the hive should remain undisturbed for a week allowing for a comb to be established before moving the hive??

Moi pick up a box full of bees, uhhh no!!

Please keep us posted including producing the final product(s).

Oh yeah, that "free 🐝s"....

BA-Dum...tssh.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2833
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/18 21:16:15 (permalink)
C_S, Next year be careful with your hands sifting through that soil. Those bones will cut like a razor. Son just bought out a lure hoarders inventory that passed away. 2 truck and trailer loads ov old new in packages. Told him not to buy one more fishing item or make one more lure for a very long time. He said ok. I went through 7 30 gallon tots ov lures and a couple contractor bags ov hooks /reels/fly tying kits 27 rods and so forth last week for him. I am gonna scarf some of the old Fenwicks and old rods from the 70’s. Love those from that era. On Saturday he bought another truck load ov tackle and dumped it on my porch, lucky I was at camp. He’ s on his own with the two trucks and trailer loads. Got ceilings done but have to make crown molding and put up a chandelier. Same room gonna take out back door and put window in. For the floor not sure if going to do in carpet or Walnut, have both but depends how much Moe Joe I have. Might demolish a ceiling on 2nd fl. today or muratic acid a roto bin before spraying primer and paint.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2020/05/19 04:16:04
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/26 20:03:54 (permalink)
Soooo....I think the fish feeder is starting to work out. Started out by leaving an old ham in there. Sat for a few weeks with no action from the flies. Not sure if it was the cooler temps or the fact that it was cured, so I pitched it and threw a nice juicy woodchuck in there last weekend. With the +80 degree temps the past 2 days the woodchuck has gotten a nice tan, and its started writhing with maggots. Walked down today and there is definitly a number of fish hanging around waiting for their next meal. As for the stench factor....I really haven't noticed it unless I was right down beside it seeing what was going on. Even so today I was down there and it seemed like it was starting to fade, or I'm getting used to it.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2067
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/26 20:15:33 (permalink)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Soooo....I think the fish feeder is starting to work out. Started out by leaving an old ham in there. Sat for a few weeks with no action from the flies. Not sure if it was the cooler temps or the fact that it was cured, so I pitched it and threw a nice juicy woodchuck in there last weekend. With the +80 degree temps the past 2 days the woodchuck has gotten a nice tan, and its started writhing with maggots. Walked down today and there is definitly a number of fish hanging around waiting for their next meal. As for the stench factor....I really haven't noticed it unless I was right down beside it seeing what was going on. Even so today I was down there and it seemed like it was starting to fade, or I'm getting used to it.

Great news!  And here I always just lobbed the dogs' prized critters on top of the metal shed roof for the crows. You are getting more bang for your buck,  for sure!
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/26 20:20:09 (permalink)
Taking the small backhoe and a couple of good shovels to the barn property tomorrow. We have a drainage ditch that runs under the driveway at its lowest point and some heavyrains this spring caused a silt dam and wash out problem that needs corrected. Not how I want to spend the day with the expected heat but first available stretch off from work go dig into the project, literally...

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/26 20:34:12 (permalink)
Good luck with the ditch digging! The recent heavy rains must have caused that issue all around. Spent a majority of the holiday weekend doing the same thing, widening a rock drainage ditch.

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/28 10:15:22 (permalink)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Good luck with the ditch digging! The recent heavy rains must have caused that issue all around. Spent a majority of the holiday weekend doing the same thing, widening a rock drainage ditch.

That's some impressive work... mine isn't nearly that finished off yet, I need to haul in a bunch of rock to line the upper side yet to prevent wash outs, but did get worst problems sorted out.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/28 10:26:00 (permalink)
Yesterday was a long day, headed to our barn property to fix the drainage problem. Hauled the backhoe and dogs over to get the job done. Years of silt and debris had blocked up the drainage run along side of the access driveway and nearly completely occluded the old pipe under the drive.
Before even starting near the pipe I found a bunch of debris had created a dam about 30ft upstream that slowed down the flow, allowed more silt in and caused flooding over the bank built between it and the driveway with even a small amount of rain. Couldn't access it with the backhoe so dug it out 1 rotten log at a time and then shoveled about 20 ft of ditch on the upstream side of the area to give the water a 'path' again.
(Will edit to add pictures momentarily)

after
...Mindy seems to approve
The pipe was almost completely occluded with silt and garbage, it is under there though...

After...

Then dug out and replaced the pipe. There was a ton of gravel and softball sized rocks packed around the pipe, I replaced it around the pipe before filling in with the dirt on top.

Filled in over top, packed it with the tractor and lined the sides with rocks as big as I could move by myself at the end of a long day. Once the ground settles I will bring in a load of gravel for the area and improve the rock sides and line the culvert basin above to reduce wash outs. I think I'm going to alter the side bank (to the left in pic below) enough to allow me access with the backhoe so I can build a 'catchment basin' just upstream of the the pipe. That would catch lot of the sediment before it clogs the pipe area and I could clean it out as needed without bothering the driveway area.  Definitely a work in progress. 

post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2020/05/28 11:03:56
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/28 10:26:15 (permalink)
I need a nap..... very nice work.πŸ‘

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/28 11:09:34 (permalink)
Forgot to add... Mom showed up about halfway through the day to visit (she lives on neighboring property) and asked if I thought I could dig out a couple of stumps that have been in her way when she is running around in her side by side... so took about 45 minutes to dig out her 2 tree stumps while I had the backhoe there. 
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/29 04:44:18 (permalink)
Nice work Fisherlady. Sounds like it was a long day. From the pics, it looks like the dog was happy you were playing around in the water on a hot day
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/06/18 19:05:19 (permalink)
Not so much a springtime project anymore, but update on the fish feeder. Woodchuck #4 just took up the vacancy in the hotel, and it seems to be working out well. The flies made pretty short work of the last small one, and it was pretty much gone inside of a week. I know its kind of morbid, but its somewhat entertaining to check it out and see the fish grabbing a meal. There is quite a group of bluegill that just hang around and wait for the easy snack. The catfish seem to be pretty smart and have it figured out. They will actually swim up and bump the cage with their snout to make the maggots drop, and then clean up their prize. The bass don't even seem to care about it, but I've been trapping some nice fatheads out of another small pond for them to snack on. Actually thinking about making another cage or 2, but then I may have to find another place to poke the woodchucks at other than my house.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/06/25 11:37:17 (permalink)
Well the chipmunk deterrent seems to have worked well. We've gotten 8-10 quarts of berries so far out of this little patch.  Now if I could eliminate the slugs altogether life would be grand

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1939
Re: Springtime projects 2020/06/25 13:13:51 (permalink)
My Chipmunk-bushytail and  bunny deterrent amounts to long hours on stand and 22 subsonics.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/06/25 14:39:34 (permalink)
Mike have ya tried the beer in the bowl trick? Works. 😌 Also if ya don't like pesticides Diatomaceous Earth (Lowes) spread around the plants will do the job.

Earlier this season I read where seedlings and new plant growth were be chewed off leaving only stumps behind. Hope the following explains the problem.

Slugs

What does slug damage look like?
Slugs are notorious for decimating young seedlings and many different tender-leaved plants. Here are some sure-fire signs that a garden slug control program is called for:

β€’ If you come out to the garden in the morning and nothing remains of your seedlings but leaf mid-ribs and stumps, slugs are a likely culprit.
β€’ Perfect, round holes in tomatoes, strawberries, and other soft fruits can also indicate a need to learn how to get rid of slugs in the garden.
β€’ Ragged holes in leaf edges and centers is another sign of slugs.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: