Boat launches are closed. Guides and social distancing on SR.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2020/03/24 10:26:16 (permalink)

Boat launches are closed. Guides and social distancing on SR.

I am a little disappointed in some of the guides on the SR . Many facebook posts on how they are "allowed " to continue to operate because they are single employee businesses. Making lite of the 6 foot rule and telling everyone to "come book a date we will social distance at 6 feet and get you on fish" One even said " we have options for lodging" This frightens and saddens me as we all know the 6 foot rule will not be followed and this puts people at risk. Are poles sanitized are boats sanitized, nets ??? N ow I am not against fishing on your own IF you are not driving from a long distance and you take precautions AND YOU ARE ALONE or with a member of your household. I know these guys are trying to make ends meet , but this is some serious crap. I go to work at the hospital every day to do my part just to touch a gas pump that a person who drove 6 hours touched to do a guided trip. There is a reason for this no unnecessary travel and distancing thing . I am off my sos po box now.
post edited by Clint S - 2020/04/09 15:51:08

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

32 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 10:35:33 (permalink)
    Clint you are making very good points and you're not alone, it's happening everywhere because "rules & regulations" are for the other guy.

Take care of you and yours while doing what you can for others.

Be well and in due course, tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 13:02:15 (permalink)
    Yep, chances of making it through my multiple myeloma are slim. I'm responding to chemo well, but the covid-19  would take me out.  Even though  I do everything right, all it'll take is one lax clown.  Thanks for being one of the good ones, Clint. If there were more like you I would survive.  
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 14:08:16 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear of your illness, Fichy, we'll add you to the ever growing prayer list.  Lots more time for that with staying home and doing the taxes.  Stay low and healthy.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 17:05:55 (permalink)
    Clint, I don't get where a guide feels higher than what the executive order is in place and I know many people throwing out the words " I'm considered exempt ".
    It's hard to take money away from people, I get that but its totally irresponsible to think one is above the law in a state of emergency such as this. Its very narrow minded and selfish when lives are at risk. If our country is truly United, it will give relief to those who suffered real economic hardships.
    Notes will be taken on whose good and who cares less about others.
    I will say, before this hit our country, I was narrow minded and thought ah, it's just another flu. If my concert tour was happening I'm going anyway. Well now things are REAL.
    I knew well in advance in early January that PPE such as N95 masks, sanitizer, and nitrile gloves were going to be a shortage. Call our company hoarders but we bought as much of those supplies as possible, spending 10's of thousands to stock up because these are daily necessities for our workers. Since February, NONE have been available from our major distributors.
    We are on strict restrictions on their usage as our back stock is about depleted.

Back to topic:
    I am required to report to work everyday. I'm in a very high risk as I have personal contact with shippers, vendors, contractors ( from all different states and walks of life ) and also direct interaction with fellow coworkers. We can't fix giant equipment alone, we must work side by side.
    My 79 year old mother and very health issues sister live right next door. I can not take the chance of carrying this virus to either one. My mother is the sole constant care provider of my sister, if I gave it to either, the other would likely perish so in that, I have not had contact with my mother or sister in 3 weeks. If they need supplies, I drop them on her porch or in the garage.
    Btw, today is my sister's 46th birthday ( above her life expectancy). It will be the first time I have not hugged her and spoke happy birthday in person.
    I thought really hard about why should I be held down to do things in the outdoors I normally do in solitude anyway. I don't like going to crowded areas to begin with.
    I thought about coming to the Salmon River because my thoughts were it's probably the lowest amount of crowds in a very long time. I'm re thinking those thoughts because it seems a lot of people just don't care.
    I have other places to go instead when I need that time of release to make life as I know it as normal as possible right now.

Be safe to all
    post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/24 17:49:58

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 17:57:32 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    Sorry to hear of your illness, Fichy, we'll add you to the ever growing prayer list.  Lots more time for that with staying home and doing the taxes.  Stay low and healthy.

Thanks, Lucky.  Good thing is my chops are the best they've been in decades from hours and hours of practice on steroids, literally.  I bought a  new Martin the day I left the hospital and it's getting broke in well.  

HT , I can't imagine how hard it is to not see your sister.  Or your, Mom.  Love and prayers sent your way.  I was wondering how they were doing, I'm glad so far they are OK and getting protected by YOU.  Screw fishing guide, more important to be a family guide.  

post edited by fichy - 2020/03/24 18:14:08
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 19:45:31 (permalink)
    Good Luck Charlie -hope for the best, in my prayers.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 20:15:45 (permalink)
    r3g3

Thanks, Trev. As a former mayor and LEO, I'm sure you have lots of good ideas for how  we should handle this crisis. I hope someone listens. I pray your whole family comes through unscathed.  
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 20:17:39 (permalink)
    r3g3

Same here. Hoping for a few more outings after this with ya

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/24 20:36:19 (permalink)
    Clint S
    r3g3

Same here. Hoping for a few more outings after this with ya

Same, Clint.  You going to the river is a local walk. Just like I've spent an hour or two on a few uninhabited waters that are local to me.  Much different than  the actions in your original topic.  You have enough risk in work.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/26 19:12:17 (permalink)
    Well the DEC returned my e mail with a call and stated that technically they are doing nothing wrong as the social distancing is suggested and not the law and single employee businesses are exempt. I do know I will never recommend any guide I see on the at this point. Taking this situation too lightly while I am at work taking care of people who could be and are infected just does not sit well with me.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/27 11:51:18 (permalink)
    Well my message was given to me by my wife who admitted she did not listen closely. I followed up with a call and was told that. The DEC is STRONGLY suggesting boat launches are closed unless people can prove they are from the same household. If you are caught breaking social distancing protocols you can be fined in some circumstances. So yes they technically could guide, but if they are caught closer than 6 feet they could face circumstances as guiding is nonessential. Most are staying home and that is good news, but there are a few going rogue and if they are shame on them

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/28 08:00:43 (permalink)
    I agree all guides and charters should NOT be allowed to operate. Many, many working people have been shut down and feeling the hardships of closures, why in the world a close contact guide should be exempt is beyond me. If those who feel differently because of financial loss, well look around at how many people are in the same situation. They are entitled to the same unemployment benefits as the rest of the others.

I feel STRONGLY, they should NOT close boat launches. It's kinda throwing a blanket over everyone who is doing things right to limit those who are not.
    There is no reason I shouldn't be allowed to take my boat out fishing alone or with the woman I lay my head next to every night.
    Marina's and private clubs should absolutely be closed.
    I don't right now know how my striper season is going to go this year. I have no plans of putting my boat in at the marina this season.
    I'm making preparations at launching daily and possibly anchoring out in the back channels of the river overnight .
    I'm also preparing the jon boat for daily launching out back and camping on one of the state islands.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/28 08:14:41

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/30 18:15:26 (permalink)
    Sk I called and e mailed oswego co health today about this. Left message. Now low and behold It seems I am hearing that the guides have finally been shut down. Have not heard it officially though
    post edited by Clint S - 2020/03/30 18:56:51

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/03/30 18:35:07 (permalink)
    Clint, it's the main reason I'm not docking my boat this striper season. I spoke with friends who charter and they are scheduled to go in 3 weeks. I'm good friends with guides and charters and understand tough times . Lots of people are affected although I don't see people slowing down who aren't sick. Until folks really need understand there is no get away from it I'm just trying to do my thing, go fishing and limit people until things pass. Unfortunately, 2020 will be a year I'd like to probably forget.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/02 10:37:07 (permalink)
    So I continue to hear people and guides complain about this. I just watched a video of a guide high 5ing both clients on a boat after a catch, yep real social distancing. I hear if I'm not sick and there no sick what's the issue. Welp you dont need to feel sick to be contagious and even if you TEST NEGATIVE on Monday by Wednesday you could be infected and contagious. Everybody is hurting , everybody scared , everybody should do their part and not be selfish because they think they are more important than the other guy sitting home.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/02 10:55:00 (permalink)
    Clint here is what I'm seeing in my county.
    More people than ever out and about.
    With the mass exodus out of NYC and the massive layoffs happening our county is at capacity of people who normally are working or still in NYC. So what do all these people do but flood the shopping centers and public places with their masks and rubber gloves on. NOBODY is staying in there own homes or property lines.
    Now, finally retail stores are starting to limit the amount of people inside the stores at 1 given time. The backlash is there are lines of people forming waiting their turn. It may take an hour just to get inside.
    We've got a long way to go before things get better.

Our house last weekend decided there will be absolutely NO news media allowed to be watched, researched or discussion about coronavirus except for the governor press conference release of any mandates put into order. I will watch his daily press conference at 11:30 am just to gather any pertinent information. As for the numbers and cases, I don't want to know.
    We've been watching a lot of artists doing their live in house concerts.
    Garth Brooks was awesome last night.
    Stay safe and be well folks
    Peace and tuna

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/02 12:14:36 (permalink)
    Yes I am only reading our daily updates from the hospital. (18 employees now infected) .

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/09 15:50:35 (permalink)
    Just got the news that all biat launches for recreation are closed. Already got people looking for exceptions saying "it doesn't say private launches" This happens because people are still going out with friends and folks who do not love eith them. Come on people

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/09 17:34:06 (permalink)
    Humm. There are hundreds of unimproved dec launches, not including state parks launches. What does this mean Clint ?
    I seriously doubt unless tickets are issued the dec launch behind my house will not be utilized.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/09 18:51:28 (permalink)
    Here is the latest executive order. People still dont get it and are hanging out with a buddy on a boat just because they feel good. Then they look for any loophole to continue just like many guides did. They knew their business was not essential but hey if I feel fine and they feel fine , we can do this there's a loophole. I have seen countless pictures on facebook with people doing this, I am sure 2 grown men do not live together when they are married and have kids. It's too much to ask the DEC or police to make sure every person on a boat lives in the same house. Then these people also have to stop and get bait, stop and get fuel, stop and get snacks. That's 3 nonessential stops putting more at risk.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/09 19:55:42 (permalink)
    Clint, I agree things are different . Anyone operating a non considered esential business doing loophole things should be in violation. Those who are actually taking their buddy fishing in a boat not for hire is hogwash to disallow that. I'm a neutral towards politics but theses are infringing on civil rights in a democratic nation.
    I have all intentions of fishing with my friends this striper season no matter the roadblocks enacted. Public gathering and usage is one thing to have control over but private property or public waterways whomever we allow to access should not be a government decision as an American.
    If they want to lockdown marinas and public launches, that's fine.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/09 21:20:28 (permalink)
    Rich although I hear what you are saying and really cant disagree, it has a purpose and people should be willing to abide without government enforcement . As of now you can be fined in NY up to 1k for breaking social distancing guidelines. If we do not abide this virus can and will spread. NYC is a result of people in close proximity of each other. It only takes 1 to infect 10, 10 to infect a 100 and 100 to a thousand. People should voluntarily abide for the health of everyone and not be selfish because they cant do something they enjoy. 99.9% of fishing is not for sustenance and not essential. Again I have little Issue of going alone or with family , but I would NEVER EVER put a friend at risk because I want to have fun . It is a very thin line
    at this time being tread, and our health and liberty are teetering let's hope both do not fall by the wayside

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/10 05:18:12 (permalink)
    How about liquor and lawns being legal? They JUST closed golf courses as of a day or so ago. The barn I'm working on is on a farm and is considered essential. Nothing much makes sense,  use your head and it should suffice.  The stairs down to the wall , and the wall itself, are less than  5' wide. Avoid them at all possible costs.  The paths along the river are pretty narrow, sounds sketchy and selfish to go anywhere along it.  Tempted to stop in the store on the way home? You should be shot.  Judge not less ye be judged.   I take my temp four times during the day. First sign is a spike above the normal .8  range F.  I'm at extreme risk and was declared terminal 5 weeks, think I might be careful?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/10 06:58:57 (permalink)
    Clint,
    After the layoff and even prior we are working. Most all the jobs we do require minimum 2 people. The vehicles we use to get to and from the work site have 2 -4 people in the trucks. Social distancing, not a chance but its considered essential work and are not breaking any laws. I think your misreading into the 6 foot recommend guidelines as opposed to mass gatherings which are subject to civil penalties.
    If there is a law in this country that states I cannot hug or shake a friends hand if mutually agreed, then whomever passed that law should be unAmerican and their citizenship in a democratic country stripped.

I totally understand the concerns and get what's happening and what's trying to be done but NOBODY is going to take away my civil rights in this country.
    I will fish with my friends.
    If gosh forbid my mother is ill and on her death bed, I WILL be by her side holding her hand. If necessary they would have to physically restrain and put me in jail to stop that from happening.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2020/04/10 07:00:50

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/10 08:51:37 (permalink)
    I just want to put it out there that I dont agree with the closures, because yes common sense should prevail. As far as distancing at work, if the job is essential and you need to be in a truck, it is essential. The guidelines state gatherings of ANY size are not acceptable and outdoor activities should be limited to activities where you have NO close contact with others. End of life visits are exempt . Here in the hospital there are no visitors whatsoever except for end of life. I wont argue about the legality of them. As far as being judged I have not been withen 50 yards of anyone when I went out , not on the bank or stairs, I left once when there were 5 people there . My wife and I have only gone to get scripts 1 time. No other trips to stores period. My bro gets my groceries and essentials and leaves them on the steps. I work in a high risk place and will not put others at risk to have fun even though it is my "right " to do so. 1 person can make a difference in both directions of this

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/10 10:15:42 (permalink)
    I have zero worries.
    I'm fishing with friends and thankful to have good friends. This is what makes people come together, not seclusion.
    Close all the launches they want, my boat is on private property now in the water. My friends 16 foot v hull goes in tomorrow.
    They will have to pry rods and guns from my cold dead hands before I give up my rights to freedom or provisions to my family

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/10 12:56:22 (permalink)
    good luck with that- hope you and yours  stay well-
     whoever your with you are also (germ wise) with everyone they have been with recently as well as with those other folks recent contacts.
    Like tipping over a row of dominoes.

Kinda the purpose of social distancing.
    Inconvenient -yea-but it works.

Might not be right up there with our 'rights' but certainly with our  responsibilities IMHO
     social distancing is the reason for the title of this thread.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2020/04/10 13:02:24
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/10 13:29:41 (permalink)
    I will rant here .
    Does everyone just isolate themselves ?
    Never going out in public at all or interaction with public like shopping or getting gasoline ? I'd have to venture not.
    Are people taking 100% social distance and wearing 100% ppe ? I'd venture to say less than 1% are totally committed. I try to limit interaction with strangers but have no choice but to interact with coworkers.
    So given the fact I'm exposed 99.9% of the time as a requirement of life ,remember my wife , daughter, son and son in law are all public servants, then why then should I limit myself to good people I trust and many with my life.
    I'm going fishing and may god help us because we are being led like sheep.

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Guides and social distancing on SR 2020/04/10 19:49:44 (permalink)
    Perhaps a generational thing Rich, My wife is 68 and I'm 72 with some of the 'issues' they say 19 preys upon.
    After a serious health scare lasting a few weeks in mid Feb through mid March  have become rather anal about following the 'rules' of distancing for self protection.
    We  have become hermits lately.
    Not getting together with kids or other family- much less non relatives at all for many weeks now.
    Already have received a notice from my med supplier saying one of the things I am on a couple of times a day is getting in short supply because its used in 19 therapy.
    Glad to be on it already- lol- but scarey times for some of us.
    Even with this 'peak ' happening in 2 or 3  weeks here  it will likely be a long slide back down lasting at least as long as the upturn.
    Might not be even close to normal for us till Summer.

Still wondering If we already had it and got by- gotta wait for the tests to become more available to find out.
    If it wasn't that it was something I never had before- similar- but worse- with the addition of  fever and sore throat.
    Get a good case of bronchitis bout twice a year and cant breathe but this one was a doozey- oh well still here complaining.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2020/04/10 20:02:36
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: