Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..8182838485.. > >> Showing page 85 of 89
Author
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/15 11:10:15 (permalink)
raise your hand if you had west virginia as one of the states being held up as a model for efficient vaccine distribution

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/07/954409347/why-west-virginias-winning-the-race-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-into-arms

this one is similar but explains a little more the details of how and why it's worked: https://theconversation.com/the-simple-reason-west-virginia-leads-the-nation-in-vaccinating-nursing-home-residents-153274

post edited by snagr - 2021/01/15 11:50:27
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2824
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/15 11:43:50 (permalink)
snagr
raise your hand if you had west virginia as one of the states doing the most efficient job with vaccine distribution

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/07/954409347/why-west-virginias-winning-the-race-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-into-arms

this one is similar but explains a little more the details of how and why it's worked: https://theconversation.com/the-simple-reason-west-virginia-leads-the-nation-in-vaccinating-nursing-home-residents-153274

Bad joke, but if any state is good at distributing legal drugs to their citizenry...it is Wild and Wonderful West Virginia!!

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2509
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/15 12:02:38 (permalink)
If they really wanted to distribute the drug fast there are apparently better experts in the field located at most any inner city street corner.
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/15 12:05:47 (permalink)
Porktown
I guess being safe, but not exactly following CDC guidelines.

pa state dept of health and/or dept of education set school covid policies in pa.  i know a few folks who send their kids to private schools, and some set their own guidelines while others follow state dept of health and education guidelines.   

got this from our district this week as we went back to full in person for elementary and hybrid for secondary.  seems to be based on population in the building and the building size.

4 confirmed cases of students and staff members within a 14-day time period at some buildings will transition to remote learning for 3 days for cleaning.  3 confirmed cases for other buildings due to smaller physical size.

7 confirmed cases of students and staff members within a 14-day time period in some buildings will transition to remote learning for 14 days. 5 confirmed cases for other buildings.  

not sure if guidelines for indoor sports are the same for every school or if they have a little wiggle room with that, but when i had the rona back in december my team would have been shut down for 14 days if the state hadn't stopped sports two days after i got it.  it is now a 10 day shut down based on the change in cdc guidelines if an athlete or coach tests positive in our district.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7798
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/15 13:35:32 (permalink)
snagr

not sure if guidelines for indoor sports are the same for every school or if they have a little wiggle room with that, but when i had the rona back in december my team would have been shut down for 14 days if the state hadn't stopped sports two days after i got it.  it is now a 10 day shut down based on the change in cdc guidelines if an athlete or coach tests positive in our district.  

I am not sure who decides the rules either.  I should have said consistent in rules, rather than follow the rules.  I know CDC recommends if within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more.  In soccer, you are rarely within 6 feet of anyone for more than 10-20 seconds.  In a full practice or game, it may add up to 15 minutes.  This is in a very large open indoor space (about 1.5 football fields of open) with huge fans for circulation (Cool Springs).  Obviously, basketball, volleyball and other sports, you are a bit closer and usually a smaller facility with far less circulation.  Most of the other players were not within 6' of this one player at all, but all are under quarantine.  There would be thousands of "what ifs" or "if this, then this" for them to put in any sort of rules, so I can understand the blanket rules to be safe.  So, I am not all too upset with it.  More of bummed that things were opened up after being shut down, then almost immediately shut down for this group.

Our school nurse called and said that the cases have been reported to the county health department and had to be followed for all other teams, etc.  She is not to leave her room for 10 days, except to go to the bathroom and eat.  When she does, she has to wear a mask.  Their school is currently hybrid so is set up to take these kids as full remote, so at least is able to have classes.

I know of close to 10 teams that have had similar.  If they were club teams, they missed practice for 10 days.  If they were school teams, the kids were put in lockdown.  I get it though.  Just about every case that I know of personally, was spread from kids, then to their parents or grand parents.  Or at least thought to have been.  They are kids they spread germs, that is what they do!
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/15 15:25:46 (permalink)
Porktown

I am not sure who decides the rules either.  I should have said consistent in rules, rather than follow the rules.  I know CDC recommends if within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more.  In soccer, you are rarely within 6 feet of anyone for more than 10-20 seconds.  In a full practice or game, it may add up to 15 minutes.  This is in a very large open indoor space (about 1.5 football fields of open) with huge fans for circulation (Cool Springs).  

yeah, when we started hoops practice i was anal about staying as far away from players as i could and properly masked any time i was in the school. when my athletic director asked me about the c.d.c. close contact guidelines, there were no players who were within 6' of me for more than 15 minutes.  probably not even a cumulative 15 minutes over the course of the week and a half i was there.  

but he still sent an e mail to parents telling them their players had to quarantine 14 days.  

on one hand i get it.  they're in c.y.a. mode.  

on the other hand, despite saying they want schools to be open, the dept. of education and dept. of health have pretty much set impossible standards for schools to remain open.  that's not even considering school sports.  that's just school.  

Porktown
 Just about every case that I know of personally, was spread from kids, then to their parents or grand parents.  Or at least thought to have been.  They are kids they spread germs, that is what they do

that would be quite the anomaly based on all of the contact tracing data done on kids and coronavirus transmission in the u.s. and around the world.  south korea published one study of like 150 kids found no transmission from kids to adults in a household.  others are very low to non existent.   
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/15 16:28:59 (permalink)
I am also including young adults and teens as "kids" too, not sure what those studies include.  I can't say that I know of any friends with young kids that have even had covid or spread to their parents.  Many of them are at an age that are out hanging out with friends that are hanging out with other friends, who are hanging out with other friends.  I personally know more kids (teens) that have tested positive than adults and all but one family, the parents caught from the kids (or at least believe that is where they caught it).  Only one of the kids (teen) had it bad enough to go to the hospital and was due to dehydration concerns from not holding down liquids, not the lung infection.  There have been a few adults in my neighborhood that have been in the hospital for the lung issues, all are fine now.  I have only heard of elderly locally, that have died from it, besides some on the news that I didn't know.  
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/16 09:32:24 (permalink)

business as usual- -
--While the States are screaming for more Fed money in order to facilitate inoculations here in Ct the State just gave a town $600,000 to improve 'pedestrian safety'.

Wonder if that coulda facilitated an inoculation site for a while--we will never know.
Just tells me they arent all that serious about prioritizing the shots.
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/16 09:34:52
drawde
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/16 12:04:43 (permalink)
Funny how those redneck, bible thumping, gun carrying people in WVA got it done but the elite snobs in NY CA etc. are fumbling!
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2104
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/16 15:37:25 (permalink)
drawde
Funny how those redneck, bible thumping, gun carrying people in WVA got it done but the elite snobs in NY CA etc. are fumbling!

The vaccine rollout here in southwest PA isn't going all that well either, and I wouldn't consider this area to be a bastion of liberals/progressives! Perhaps it's just a matter of mismanagement from the state level. Me thinks it's the latter, not the former.

"Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, 'It will be happier.'
Alfred Lord Tennyson

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1213
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/16 15:43:07 (permalink)
Bigfoot my doctors here in SW Pa tell me April or May at the earliest even with heart and lung issues.
drawde
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/16 21:37:37 (permalink)
But we did violate our state constitution about voting laws.  It doesn't take all the ingredients to ruin a meal, one will do it as my gram used to say.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/17 09:21:48 (permalink)
https://triblive.com/local/regional/western-pa-hospitals-struggle-to-minimize-waste-of-covid-vaccine-doses/

If I were a senior looking to get vaccinated ASAP, I’d find a hospital that you know has it and find the department giving the shots. See if you can get yourself on a waiting list for “not wasting” the vaccine. Might be worth a try?

I have heard that 65 and older is supposed to start this week in PA? Not sure how accurate that is.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/17 09:51:04 (permalink)
If its like here in Ct that START will be to start registering- after thousands of others in the same group already have.
Jigs may be just about right.

post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/17 10:16:35
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1213
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/17 10:57:44 (permalink)
I was just in the ER the other day, first question out of the doctors mouth was " Have you had your virus shot? Last time I saw him that visit. He did order test for my heart, after hours and several test the Nurse came in with results and discharge papers. Oh well till the next time I guess. Did hear Washington county FAIR  grounds is suppose to open for free test this week
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/17 11:05:43 (permalink)
I dont know  why- at this point- why they dont knock off most of the testing stations everywhere and make them inoculation sites-
dont wait till I got it and tell me about it- try and prevent it.
Betcha there are just as many folks getting tested  as there are getting shots.

I know why they dont do that though- friend had a drive through test recently and got a bill for $600. They had billed directly and not medicare by accident- he got it straightened out but was surprised at what 'we' are paying for these tests.
Some people have had multiple tests over time too.
They are testing thousand of people weekly in some of these drive throughs--think about it.
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/17 11:34:12
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/17 12:57:28 (permalink)
r3g3
I dont know  why- at this point- why they dont knock off most of the testing stations everywhere and make them inoculation sites-
dont wait till I got it and tell me about it- try and prevent it.
Betcha there are just as many folks getting tested  as there are getting shots.

because there's more money to be made in testing, finding "cases", finding people in the hospital with positive tests, and attributing deaths to covid than there is in preventing it with a vaccine.  although the public health officials are still saying the vaccines might not do that anyway, just lessen the severity of it.  even people who have had 2 doses still have to mask and social distance.  a "return to normal" will mean less money and less power for test makers, test givers, health care systems, politicians, and corporations run by billionaires.  they have no incentive for things returning to normal.  

here's a graph showing the relation of positives to number of tests administered in pa over the past 10 months.  tell me what you see.  

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

post edited by snagr - 2021/01/17 13:13:04

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3494
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/17 17:25:29 (permalink)
Hmmm...
I do know, cases are starting to go down some.....

Wife just at dek hockey practice....one of the dads is a contract nurse.  Works at 3 different hospitals....says census, on average, has gone from 70% to 30% in the icus but, that is limited data.  Hopefully it is tracking similarly at other hoslitals.  

Think we'll get over the hump sooner rather than later....
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/18 12:17:03 (permalink)
In England they are opening inoculation centers 24/7- glad someone is thinking outa the box.
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/18 21:28:41 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Hmmm...
I do know, cases are starting to go down some.....

in 43 of 50 states yesterday cases are declining compared to last week.

flat in 3, plus d.c.

rising in 4

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tracker

why? because that’s what seasonal respiratory viruses do.

all 43 of those states rose to a peak and then dropped. region by region. masks, lockdowns, business closures, schools open or schools closed - none of it made a lick of difference. when it was a region’s time, it was a region’s time.

post edited by snagr - 2021/01/18 21:46:41

Attachment(s)

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/19 11:13:00 (permalink)
I'm sure some of you will like this.

https://www.npr.org/secti...assistant-health-secre
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1860
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/19 12:14:46 (permalink)
Oh My! A pediatrician calling the shots on Covid.....

BH
snagr
Expert Angler
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2824
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/19 14:56:54 (permalink)
Great news on the cases Snagr...pumped to get into the meat of our basketball schedule and transition to sunny spring baseball!!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/19 15:30:57 (permalink)
LDD
sunny spring baseball!!

Are you moving away from PA?  Don't you mean soggy gloomy spring spreading quick dry on the infield and try to dry with a leaf blower baseball?  Playing any sport in 60 degree mud, beats the heck out of what we have right now.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/19 17:27:12 (permalink)
Its getting crazy trying to figure this stuff out -  never stops changing--
NOWWWW they say they are scheduling folks in late 70s for a couple of weeks then folks over 65 in early Feb then essential workers.
Big change there for folks over 65 who till yesterday were AFTER essential workers-
They say essentials are around one million here and could take up weeks or months of availability time for those following-
Soo to we over 65's this is a BIG deal
guess just telling CDC  over 65 was 'included' in 1-b -but not allowed to register for a shot till after everyone else- didnt cut it and we moved to the head of the line.
Am happy about this change, which is generally back to the way it was -seems so longgg ago- but  wont hold my breath as the changes  are never ending.

I know ya are probably sick and tired of my grousing about this in Ct but when your 73 with serious issues and they keep ya in limbo over what could be  life and death decision totally outa your hands and controlled by a GOVT thats constantly changing the goal post its maddening.

Anyone who ever tries to sell ya on a Govt controlled health insurance plan for all of us is just plain NUTS.
Clearly all health care decisions by politicians is political.

Example- they are now trying to say it was 'confusion' that led to so very many teachers getting shots early when they weren't supposed to  - Yea and elephants fly.
post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/19 18:13:54
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/19 18:19:43 (permalink)
LDD
Great news on the cases Snagr...pumped to get into the meat of our basketball schedule and transition to sunny spring baseball!!

me too man. games thursday and friday and then 15 more on the schedule over the next five weeks. our a.d. has done a great job cobbling together an almost normal amount of games for the middle school teams.

freezing cold march and april baseball can’t get here soon enough! the muddy doesn’t impact home games too much since our varsity plays at pullman park in butler on turf as well as a lotta other schools around here. looking forward to seeing my son and his buddies have a season this year after all the hard work they’ve put in. should be contenders for a section title this year and make some noise in the playoffs.
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/19 18:29:07 (permalink)
midwest heading in the right direction too

Attachment(s)

snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/20 20:14:40 (permalink)
literally one hour after biden is sworn in the world health organization releases new guidelines for counting covid cases with p.c.r. tests.

guidance to lower cycle thresholds of p.c.r. tests (up to 90% of positive tests are currently more or less meaningless with the cycle thresholds used in the u.s) and cases should be confirmed with actual clinical diagnosis like x ray or ct scan.

https://www.who.int/news/...-for-ivd-users-2020-05

I’m sure it’s just coincidental that this happened today.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3494
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/01/21 13:18:26 (permalink)
Probably dependent on how much funding Biden promised to give the WHO, now that he has rescinded Trumps EO on that.  

Well, it looks like for our area specifically, the post Christmas and post New Years case surge was not quite as bad as the post Thanksgiving surge, which is good news.  Easy to see the tracking of it on the overall daily cases and 7 day avg. on the daily trib articles for both Westmoreland and Allegheny Co.  

Between that news, the vaccines getting rolled out, those already infected and "counted" and the multipliers of those probably infected with mild/no symptoms who were never tested, we should be getting over this hump....in our area, without any help from the Biden admin.  
Page: << < ..8182838485.. > >> Showing page 85 of 89
Jump to: