Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 72
Author
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 16:37:31 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

My concern, if needed, will UPMC be able to reactivate all the "beds" they've shut down over the years, at local facilities UPMC has closed down?

Greenville for example... a well known, health care facility, no longer operates as it once did, since UPMC got it's claws into the hospital.

Welp, I sure don't know since I don't know what's happened at places like that.  

Prior to when UPMC took it over, did it have an ICU to speak of, or the infrastructure to handle patients during something like this?  Not a rhetorical question, as I really don't know the answer, but my guess would be probably not?  

I know that Butler Hospital, quite a bit bigger than Greenville or Grove City (think UPMC took that over too) has a small ICU.  They are doing outdoor, drive up testing for COVID, but not sure if even they would be admitting folks who test positive or sending them to Pittsburgh facilities.  Not sure that they're not either.  

Not sure what the protocols are the smaller local or regional hospitals, or if there even were protocols.  Or like a lot of the rest of our response to this, is happening on the fly.  

Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 16:48:53 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Here's another thought.... buying fruits and vegetables. Probably one of the most touched items in a grocery market. Tomatoes, apples, oranges, etc. always being squeezed by someone.

Yes, those items can be washed (should always be). 🤔Ever pay attention how many times a person will touch their face while they grocery shop? An itch here, a tear there, maybe a runny nose or just adjust your eye glasses.

My wife, who is a pretty natural germaphobe from working in healthcare all of her life, has been doing most of our grocery shopping.  Probably because she knows I'd buy all kinds of food me and the boys like, but that we don't necessarily need.  But mostly because she knows how to be safe in public in this type of environment.  

Anywho, I had to stop at Giant Eagle in Cranberry on Tuesday evening, and it was really busy.  I hadn't shaved in about 5 or 6 days, and I COULD NOT STOP SCRATCHING MY FACE, especially between my lip and my nose.  Then I started looking around to see how many other people were touching their faces.  

I came out of Giant Eagle all creeped out and convinced I got Coronavirus, then sneezed 4 times in a row.  I'm usually a 3 sneeze guy.  So I was convinced that Jesus was about to take me home.  

She's hitting up Costco this evening because she asked me this morning, "What's next," after yesterday's announcement.  I said, "Welp, there's not much in between what Wolf announced and a lockdown . . ."

We then got into a brief discussion on whether or not we really needed the next step, and I wondered out loud about some things. Guess I better text her and tell her to get some more tin foil at Costco so I can make more hats.
post edited by rsquared - 2020/03/20 17:40:39
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2208
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 20:13:48 (permalink)
As one who lives in a heavily populated part of the East am keenly watching for unrest by those who become disenchanted with the restrictions over time.
One will hope that all consider the various heavy restrictions as being for their general good and stay  as cooperative as possible throughout- however bumps like shortages  can tip the scales with many.
I sincerely hope that the future remains as peacfull and calm as the beginning of this nightmare has been and truly thank all for that .
Unfortunately it seems the worst is yet to come and it could get tough.
If folks get down to nothing and gotta feed the family everything is off the table. 
Kinda figure that's why thy are trying to get money out  to folks ASAP-good.

Remember catching a guy long ago breaking into a school- he thanked me and said it was his first crime- it was- he was outa work and outa rent and outa food at home  trying to care for a wife and kids.
He got a simple trespass ticket- no bond and had a number in his pocket with a recommendation to call for a job when he left the Station.
That  was rare- lol- but they guy was willing to go to jail for his family- and he was a lousy burglar.
Orr he had the best line of BS I ever bought.

On the flip side - am  ready for any real  BS.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/20 21:05:07
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1141
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 21:29:30 (permalink)
In all honesty my head is still spinning from the shutdown announcement yesterday. This is probably the most hastily formed, least thought out thing I have ever seen in my relatively short life. Announced at what 5pm and supposed to be enforced by 8pm with what seems to be zero thought about the way supply chains are linked together?? Every machine shop we work with and that I talked to was in a tail spin today wondering if we are a life sustaining business that can remain opened, or if we will be fined for remaining open. Everyone I talked to was of the same mind that we have medical companies we do work for so we should be allowed to remain open according to the ****ty chart that was put out. But wait, all heat treaters, plating companies, and services of the like are not to be open. But, how do we produce product for the medical companies without these services which are most often required? But wait again, we now need to fill out a form to try and prove that the work we do for these medical companies is "essential" during a major medical crisis. After filling out this form concerning the work we do and what plans we have in place to follow CDC guidelines concerning this virus, some dimwit will get to decide if our small manufacturing business of 18 people is important and safe enough to stay open. We have been taking many precautions to do what we can to ensure the safety of our workforce, but who knows if that's enough in their eyes. Meanwhile, the "life sustaining" beer distributor across the street gets to stay open no questions asked thanks to our great governer. And don't forget the "life sustaining" Wal-Mart up the street that was packed to the friggin gills today with people carrying who knows what kind of viruses buying all kinda of cheap Chinese chit. What CDC guidelines do they have in place to ensure that none of the hundreds coming into their store are infected and infecting others? Oh never mind about that! Ditto for the "life sustaining" Home Depot. Sorry for the long rant, but this is absolutely infuriating!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11978
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 21:47:25 (permalink)
Dave, Greenville Hospital was a full service hospital. In addition, folks from area towns and city's would travel to Greenville, seeking treatment such as orthopedic surgery.

Today Greenville is no longer a full service hospital, with very few beds.

It took UPMC a bit longer to shut down Greenville but the same thing happened years ago in Oil City & Franklin PA both full service hospitals, then built a new facility in Seneca to service 3 communities with one hospital.

Farell PA, is under the thumb of UPMC as is New Castle.

I don't know the recent situation at Greenville but patients requiring surgery must travel to New Castle and I believe OB care is only avalable at Farell.

No how no way, could UPMC provide needed care if the virus becomes chronic, even if only for the elderly.

Not only was there numbers of beds lost but these facilities were outfitted with equipment like ventilators and other respiratory equpiment that is no longer available.

One good point, unlike Franklin & Oil City, Greenvilee still has a building that could be reopened.

Other than that, social halls and school gymnasiums will likely become triage centers, unless your state & local PEMA plans have been changed.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 22:27:28 (permalink)
Crappie_Slayer I hear you and I don't disagree with you.

I take this virus serious but I dispise the press generated panic forcing our goverment to bury their heads in the sand or other places.

Our state governor, like many other state governors, is running around on his elbows.

Likewise your director of PEMA Randy Padfield will need a "HurstTool" to retrieve his head, if your Governor suddenly stops.

Regardless, had the US journalist expressed concerns with public safety in a professional manner-- I.e. stop the dam gottcha games and report in a calm manner, what procedures the public can/should safely follow.

Instead we have the US journalist chyt show whose sole objective is to destroy Trump.

Why.... because Trump is a direct threat to the chyt show fake news operations of the future.

Journalist will be held responsible in the future and their victims will have power to respond in courts of law and the "press" doesn't want a level playing field.

That's my 'conspiracy' of the week and I'm stikin to it.

Thought for the week.....

How the hell did the country of China, get so powerful as to bring America, the most powerful country of the world, to its knees by using toilet paper??

I guess ya might say it brings true meaning to "the meek will inherit the world".
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/20 22:29:19

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 782
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 23:07:31 (permalink)
I wonder if the best approach would be to lockdown the most vulnerable, and let the rest of society operate as normal as possible with some crowd restrictions. Take necessary steps to provide and protect  people at the greater risk, and let things run its course thru the general population. Just a short thought, not sure if it's wise or unwise.
Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 23:35:03 (permalink)
https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

I gave this a quick read.

I didn’t take statistics in college and I know it’s easy to make stats say what you want em to, so I’m sure those who know more about stats could probably offer some refutations.

But seemed pretty encouraging.
Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 01:37:42 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Dave, Greenville Hospital was a full service hospital. In addition, folks from area towns and city's would travel to Greenville, seeking treatment such as orthopedic surgery.

Today Greenville is no longer a full service hospital, with very few beds.

It took UPMC a bit longer to shut down Greenville but the same thing happened years ago in Oil City & Franklin PA both full service hospitals, then built a new facility in Seneca to service 3 communities with one hospital.

Farell PA, is under the thumb of UPMC as is New Castle.

I don't know the recent situation at Greenville but patients requiring surgery must travel to New Castle and I believe OB care is only avalable at Farell.

No how no way, could UPMC provide needed care if the virus becomes chronic, even if only for the elderly.

Not only was there numbers of beds lost but these facilities were outfitted with equipment like ventilators and other respiratory equpiment that is no longer available.

One good point, unlike Franklin & Oil City, Greenvilee still has a building that could be reopened.

Other than that, social halls and school gymnasiums will likely become triage centers, unless your state & local PEMA plans have been changed.

John, thanks for the history lesson, 'preciate it.  

I didn't realize those hospitals had completely shut down, thought your first post in regard to that was that UPMC took them over and kept them open, as they did with Grove City (I think).  

Was listening to some good old KDKA on the AM dial today and the host was discussing some of the options that have been floated (literally) about taking cruise ships that are currently shut down and converting them if needed.  

Pretty clear now that the US was further behind on this than we should have been in not only prevention, but detection and treatment.  But it is encouraging to see the private sector stepping up and providing great innovation and production for this crisis.  Even saw that a distillery somewhere in the US began producing heavy duty hand sanitizer this week!  

Hopefully, all of this innovation and enterprise catches up and surpasses the need quickly.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 01:40:37 (permalink)
Dave I'm not seeing panic in this area among the rank and file. Except for a few greedy bassturds hording all the TP.

I sure do hope the situation remains status quo. Except the TP thingy of course.

I think the panic exist with the state politicians who as each day passes, become frantic of losing thier future political careers.

Politicians like State Governors who will ultimately blame, any of their failures on, the White House.

I'm amazed, the widespread complaints I'm hearing/reading, regarding "beer" sales. I'm beginning to think allowing beer distributors to remain open may become Achilles Heel for some Governors.

Stupid is as stupid does.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/21 01:55:22

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4684
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 10:35:39 (permalink)
The beer distributors thing didn’t surprise me that much. During WWII, the Allied Command took away trucks and gas for tanks away from Patton after the liberation of Paris in order to supply Paris with wine because they didn’t care who occupied or win as long as the flow of wine was restored. Patton estimated that stopping his advance to do this lengthened the war by several months.

Looking at the other businesses on the list, no real surprises there — not green, like mining and logging, closed; typically conservative small businesses, like machine shops, closed; union backed businesses, open; rest stops that typically conservative truckers need, closed, until the complaints got national attention, then reluctantly reopened; teachers union schools, void their law to not have to make up missed days, considered. Overt? Subliminal? Coincidence?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 12:47:38 (permalink)
Hospitals regularly provide alcohol to alcoholics who are hospitalized for things other than alcohol treatment.  Since individuals can't be forced to detox.  My wife, who is a physical therapist, and still works occasionally at a regional hospital in the area has told me that sometimes her patients will get an ice cold Bud with their lunch or dinner trays.  

No word on if they'll start serving Corona instead of Bud.  

So maybe part of the rationale there in keeping distributors open has something to do with that?  Just a guess on my part, but at a time when governments and medicine are working to keep hospitalizations for things other than Covid as low as possible, this might have something to do with it.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 12:57:35 (permalink)
rsquared

No word on if theyll start serving Corona instead of Bud.

😣booooooo..... hsssssss 😅
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/21 13:07:59

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 16:43:15 (permalink)
😠 Soooooo help me, if I get one more push notification from my phone provider, electric company, garbage service, sewage dept, wifi provider, tv provider or the like, because of Covid-19.... I'm diving under my desk.

Eeeeeenough already. 😡

WAIT.... what? A text from my wife 😵..... Til further notice, cooking, cleaning & other activities have been cancelled annnnnd I must maintain a distance of 6 ft. 🙈
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/21 16:48:36

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 16:49:40 (permalink)
Gun store here has a line  out the door and down the driveway- Gotta close as -nonessential.
Owner says he cant figure out how ya can still get beer but not protection in these hard times'
He has a good point IMHO

People getting ready in case it goes bonkers.
Keepin the .45 close.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7640
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 21:31:20 (permalink)
Written by an old friend of mine.

https://triblive.com/opin...Nx6KNpOTOqnvA_tGsLsL-Q
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 21:40:00 (permalink)
Not that the man actually cares, but I believe Wolf will be a pariah in my corner of PA when all of this shakes out.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 21:47:04 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

WAIT.... what? A text from my wife 😵..... Til further notice, cooking, cleaning & other activities have been cancelled annnnnd I must maintain a distance of 6 ft. 🙈

Well I'll be ****ed.....and here if figured the wife put the 6' rule in effect years ago 😜
post edited by CRAPPIE_SLAYER - 2020/03/21 21:48:33
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 22:08:51 (permalink)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
BeenThereDoneThat.

Well I'll be ****ed.....and here if figured the wife put the 6' rule in effect years ago 😜

😝😅😂... 🤔... 😭😭 You poor man, my sympathy.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 22:30:14 (permalink)
Pork nice to see & read reaffirming information, written in a calm manner & without politicizing.

I enjoyed the read.... except the stupid "cookie" pop-up thingy😠.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/21 22:49:44 (permalink)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Not that the man actually cares, but I believe Wolf will be a pariah in my corner of PA when all of this shakes out.

Apparently nobody cares who Wolf is. I been referring to him as "Bobby" and yet to be corrected annnnnnd I know all yall been reading my post. [snicker]

Yeah Wolf don't care and to get even with those who have avoided him, like he had Covid-19 for years, he raised our gasoline taxes annnnnnd I'm bettin he tries again.... the pryk.😁

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 09:14:45 (permalink)
IN THIS TIME OF SOCIAL DISTANCING THE VERY WISE ARE KEEPONG AT LEAST 6 FEET FROM THEIR SPOUCES DURING THEIR LONG FORCED TOGETHERNESS.
ON THE FLIP SIDE I PREDICT A BIG OVERCROWDING OF HOSPITOL BIRTHING UNITS SEVERAL MONTHS  DOWN THE ROAD.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 10:28:40 (permalink)
Wait..... What?? Am I hearing with "Social Distancing" there's a chance of wide spread "social disease".

Sweet.... I'm investing in TROJAN brand.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/22 10:42:48

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 10:37:56 (permalink)
How long before interstate travel is shut down. ???

Inquiring minds need to know.... do I stay or do I go???

Screw the virus, crappie season is about to begin and I ain't about to leave the lakes, to all yall muup north. I just won't.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/22 10:41:28

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 11:27:13 (permalink)
After all this time and all the reported high infection rates Italy  just today  closed 'non essential businesses.
Yea, they have had their stay in place orders but with all those businesses open how much good did that do them.
A usual there is NO comparison to these other countries and the USA.
Places where they lick religious statues - drink cow urine for protection and have deplorable medical and general health issues even on good days  are constantly being compared to the US by the press when in fact there is no comparison whatsoever.
Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 12:57:05 (permalink)
r3g3

are constantly being compared to the US by the press when in fact there is no comparison whatsoever.

I've been thinking the same thing r3

Obviously, there are a few localized places in the US that have been hit hard, and may be hit even harder.  

I've been following a statistical analysis guy on Twitter who gives daily updates on the US compared to Italy. 

Yesterday was Day 17 for the US.  March 10th was Day 17 for Italy (their lockdown was the 8th).  

On Day 17 in Italy there were 631 deaths out of 10,149 known cases (7.2% mortality rate for TESTED cases)

On Day 17 in the US there were 256 deaths out of 19,383 known cases (1.32% mortality rate for TESTED cases).  

Obviously, neither Italy or the US really knows how many were/are truly infected, but still, even looking at overall deaths, we are not close to where Italy was.  Big variances in living conditions, the availability of medical care and the age structure of our populations.  

Pretty much everything we're hearing from the CDC and other medical sources right now is based on predictions from one source - The Royal College of London.  And their primary source for info is China.  And I think it's pretty clear just how trustworthy China is in all of this right now.    

The statistics from other countries and their epidemiologists are starting to reveal a number of false positive tests.  Also that non-symptomatic people and mildly symptomatic people are about half as contagious as what the Royal College is saying.  South Korea's focus was on isolating the most vulnerable and the sickest, and that worked very well for them, albeit in a population much smaller and more densely populated than most of the US.  

To put it simply, there are still a lot of big unknowns about this, but for those who want to look at the facts and science rationally and from multiple sources that don't have an agenda or anything to hide, there is reason to think that this will not be as bad as we have been led to believe.  Still serious for sure, and even those sources of rationality are urging continued social distancing to some extent.  

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 13:17:57 (permalink)
rsquared

To put it simply, there are still a lot of big unknowns about this, but for those who want to look at the facts and science rationally and from multiple sources that don't have an agenda or anything to hide, there is reason to think that this will not be as bad as we have been led to believe.  Still serious for sure, and even those sources of rationality are urging continued social distancing to some extent.  

Which is how Dr Fauci seems to be talking. He uses the data of all other countries, as it is what he has available. He doesn’t seem to have any sort of agenda, besides keeping as many people alive and medical centers as in control as possible.

When Fauci and his team compare, they are noting what they believe Italy has done incorrectly. Noting how important it is for us to isolate. Others may be comparing other things. But what I have taken from their team, has always been that Italy very likely wouldn’t be in as big of a mess, if they would have isolated sooner. Much of what many have been asking for here, while others were denying the severity.

When this is all done, the facts will show. You can go through this thread and others on this board to see where many stood. Some have been taking this seriously for a while. While others denied and played it off as nothing and are now taking it seriously. If we all took it seriously from the beginning, we’d likely have no cases or very few with those communities quarantined. Instead we are all quarantined now.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 13:56:29 (permalink)
Also have to consider that Northern Italy had Chinese owned textile mills and many employees went home for the Chinese new year right in the onset of the disease before anyone else knew about it- Then they went back to Italy ..  
No wonder they got slammed.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 14:03:34 (permalink)
r3g3
Also have to consider that Northern Italy had Chinese owned textile mills and many employees went home for the Chinese new year right in the onset of the disease before anyone else knew about it- Then they went back to Italy ..  
No wonder they got slammed.

Why hasn’t Trump or his team noted this? I would think a complete disservice to our public, if this is really how this spread. BTW, the “Chinese” part of Northern Italy is not the same as the one with the major outbreak. Granted, they could have stopped there, infected the others, then left and used the Chinese known cure that they aren’t sharing. I’m not discounting that China knows of a cure and not sharing. Same with Russia. Rather strange that Russia sharing a huge border with China, has less cases than PA. Granted, they don’t mess around when it comes to violating civil liberties.
post edited by Porktown - 2020/03/22 14:04:51
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/22 15:07:32 (permalink)
READ READ READ- this stuff it out there but not every little thing must be said in briefings- Trump didn't mention drinking cow pee in India either. or shrine licking in Iran.
Ya also gotta remember that many European Countries are little bigger than some of our States but with large metropolitan populations.
The 'Chinese cure' it may seem, is TIME and containment, which - since they kept the secret- started there months before anyone else knew about it- Therefore they are ahead in that somber regard.
As I read it perhaps as much as 3 months of secrecy and we may look forward to that in our restrictions IMHO- if all is similar.
 Russias border with China is a little populated area  way out in the somewhat inhospitable country in places like Mongolia and stretching back to the Pacific.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/22 15:14:03
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 72
Jump to: