Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 50 of 64
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7579
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 10:37:06 (permalink)
I know for youth sports, everyone signs a waiver that requires you to inform their organization if you test positive.  I wonder if each school would have to do the same?

Of course, likely a few parents refusing to sign, but demanding their kids go to school.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 11:08:37 (permalink)
Might work for up to age 18, but after that, all privacy rights, including HIPPA, apply, so it might be thought to get entire university populations to sign a waiver. And forcing that as a condition of enrollment would probably have the lawyers circling the campus.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
snagr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 11:28:08 (permalink)
Porktown
I know for youth sports, everyone signs a waiver that requires you to inform their organization if you test positive.  I wonder if each school would have to do the same?

Of course, likely a few parents refusing to sign, but demanding their kids go to school.

between them, my two boys are involved in the same community baseball league and each plays on a travel team. i am currently sitting in morgantown, wv waiting for my older son’s travel team to start a game in a single tournament that spans ages 7-18 and is being played on fields in wv, oh, and pa.

we have not signed one waiver for local league or any tournaments or travel games along these lines.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11796
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 11:41:59 (permalink)
Good luck to the guys snagr.👍

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 12:04:35 (permalink)
snagr
between them, my two boys are involved in the same community baseball league and each plays on a travel team. i am currently sitting in morgantown, wv waiting for my older son’s travel team to start a game in a single tournament that spans ages 7-18 and is being played on fields in wv, oh, and pa.

we have not signed one waiver for local league or any tournaments or travel games along these lines.

Crazy how soccer and track are on different planets than baseball when it comes to this.  Between my two kids, we have had to sign 6 of, basically the same form worded a different way.  Saying that we can't hold them responsible and that we acknowledge any time we send them, they don't have a fever, aren't feeling sick and if they test positive that we would let them know.  There are some clubs that have parents fill out forms before every practice...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 12:07:33 (permalink)
Pork Dr Falsie says it's OK if you're sitting next to someone wearing a mask, and they need take their mask off to drink water.

So IMO, a child wearing an appropriate mask, walking past a bus driver wearing an appropriate mask then sitting beside another child wearing an appropriate mask should be OK.

Even if there would be need for anyone wearing an appropriate mask to "rehydrate" Dr Falsie says it's OK to remove the mask.

However and assuming Dr Falsie would agree, it would not be wise for anyone else needing to rehydrate to ask for a "swig" from the same container.

Would my thinking be appropriate?

As for driving a school bus, that job don't even come near to paying enough, even if it did provide some med ins.

To boot there would need be a law allowing, at the sole discretion of the driver, the release of tear gas as may be deemed necessary.

Neighbor, I hold high respect for all who serve but none so high as I have for school bus drivers.

There is a reason for a driver demand.

So hows the frozen pipes coming along?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/24 12:12:30

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 13:38:27 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
So hows the frozen pipes coming along?

Holding steady!  Although in my office, where the outside of bag is currently 76F, inside is 51F...

You couldn't pay me enough to drive a school bus under normal conditions, yet the peanuts they make.  

The cafeteria workers seem to be in the similar mold, semi retired hanging out with some other ladies that like to cook.  Getting paid, but I imagine most could easily get a better paying job.  I think most are doing it as a way of serving their community.  Are they really looking to do the same for peanuts when their lives are at risk?

Facilities departments of schools aren't usually jammed pack with younger folks either.  The full time head guys/gals make a decent living.  The support staff are more along the lines of the bus drivers and cafeteria workers.  I can't imagine the cleaning crew of a school is willing to do their normal duties for normal pay, when places like ServePro are charging 10 times as much for it too.

I think most students and teachers are fine to go to school.  But they can't do it without the others, who are underpaid regardless of virus concern.  It is much easier to say to teachers, you make a livable wage, you pledged to serve kids as your profession, you need to be here.  Most teachers that I know have dignity and ready to go back.

Until someone in their class tests positive of course...  Then complete chaos among all of those factors! 

ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 14:14:01 (permalink)
I know several people who were school bus drivers but they no longer do it.They told me they made 17 an hour but the problem was you are giving up your entire day b/c after morning run your back again for afternoon run. Another person i know just is a monitor on a bus but she says its chaos!!. 
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 15:05:10 (permalink)
Tom Hanks was the School bus driver in “Bachelor Party.”

snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 20:54:45 (permalink)
california has had mandatory public masking for over a month. los angeles since may. generally considered to be strictly enforced and surveys show that masking compliance by californians to be the highest in the country and among the highest in the world.

in the past month cases have risen 160% statewide and ca is considered one of the current hot spots in the us.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 21:19:41 (permalink)
It's just because. Isn't that good enough anymore?
snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 21:43:38 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Good luck to the guys snagr.👍

👍🏻

havin’ lotsa fun. been crazy compressing it all into a shorter time frame and runnin around everywhere but two months ago thought there might be no baseball so i ain’t gonna complain!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3398
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/25 12:38:55 (permalink)
Not trying to be racist or prejudice but, I would like to see the demographic breakdown of the infections, especially the ones since the beginning of June.  Would be interesting....

As far as sports, my daughter has a fill out a form every day 2 hrs before her 7am volleyball conditioning that is MWF....asking about sickness, travel, contacts with anyone with Covid, etc.  If we go on vacation to any of the states listed by Wolf, she can't come to practice for 14 days.  They have to wear a mask unless actually working out.
For my kids dek hockey tournaments, always a waiver for those so I am sure they will just add a Covid line or two to it.  First tourney is next weekend as long as there are no changes to the current Covid protocols in Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties.

For schools, Hempfield, where my kids go, are kicking around the hybrid model where they split each year class down the middle by the alphabet and alternate days going to school.  They can maintain social distancing doing this and the off days, the kids will follow along online for each class room as they will be videoing it live.   All classes will be archived and they can go back later that evening to take a look if they miss something.  I think this part of it can be really handy to assist with the online learning and then doing homework.  I can see test taking as being a little touchy especially with friends in the same class going on different days.  Might need two separate tests for each set of kids.  I think there will be no classroom changing, just the teachers changing, where possible.  For High School, I don't think this will be possible with so many electives but if they are social distancing....should be fairly safe.  
I am hoping they go back.  Kids, especially elementary kids, need to socialization.  Also, I know the requirements for March-May this year with online learning were far from difficult and my kids didn't learn squat....
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/26 09:45:14 (permalink)
I wonder if keeping kids in the same class all day long will have a potential viral load issue if a kid is positive. Rather than more temporary exposure of changing classes? It is a cluster F of an issue all around. I don’t envy any school board member. That hybrid model seems to me the most logical for being able to social distance kids. But imagine it is going to cost each district a bit more than normal. Also hard on dual income households that will have to figure out how to make it work. Which obviously is even worse if all cyber like the spring. Which was a S show, but most districts just weren’t set up for it. Not going to say my kids didn’t learn squat, but definitely not as much as in person. I was doing a heck of a lot more this past spring than ever before. And I did about 20% of the help. My wife got slammed this past spring with our kids and her students calling at any hour during the day. Many times after 11PM. She has been getting calls just about every day asking how they are planning to do the fall. She is beyond ready to go back.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/26 11:01:20 (permalink)

I knewwwwww I shoulda invested in plexiglass........

BUTTT WAIT....... buy one and get a second one for the same price....  just pay separate fees and handling.

ANNNNNNND for the instructor...........

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/26 11:07:21

LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2676
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 13:24:45 (permalink)
The going back to school dynamic is pretty intricate.  There are so many "what if's" that school districts have to contend with.  Kids need to go back, absolutely, but not as some medical/social experiment. I can't imagine how some schools with major budget concerns already will deal with this. Not to mention the circling lawyers ready to sue at the first sign of an indiscretion.  

Or, maybe the virus will just go away if we bury our heads in the sand deep enough??  Cause it's nice to see the informed and very well organized national response to this growing threat to our health and economy.  
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 14:03:26 (permalink)
What is the national response to blizzards in Florida or hurricanes in North Dakota?

This country was designed for local action, state management, and national support because what happens in one part of the country can be extremely different than in other parts.

The national response should be relegated to what works for the country as a whole. Realistically, that is very little with regard to this virus — prevent further infected people from entering anywhere into the country; providing guidelines (not laws) for the states to consider (not necessarily adopt); provide logistical supply line support between states; and guard against the collapse of an economic collapse.

Beyond that goes outside of the Constitutional role of the Federal government, no matter who screams that they didn’t or aren’t doing enough. Until a state actually asks for federal help, the federal government must stay out of the state’s business (it is not injecting federal government into state business when it is federal property involved).

It is up to each state to address their geographic area for how best to monitor their response and to seek resources, from the federal government if necessary, and input from even more local sources in order to manage the situation.

Direct action needs to take place on the local level because they are closest to the issue. They know what they need and what they don’t. They need to source resources from their state and if the state cannot provide those resources, then the state needs to manage the situation by going to the federal government on the local’s behalf.

This is very similar to a weather related national disaster.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 14:30:36 (permalink)
Good news..............

Virus once again said to be plateauing annnnnnnd 3 guesses where.....  who knew?

I may not have invested in plexiglass soon enough but darned glad I didn't invest in paper, cloth and medical mask.  Although with the latest news... mask supplies must be starting to dwindle so Walmart, Target, Amazon, and other democrat supporting big box stores ain't stuck with overstocked mask.

So maybe the student/instructor shields might not fly off the assembly lines in the very near future.

BUTT wait, for a mere $250.00 registration fee plus $80.00 teaching fees per day, students can attend "Home School Teaching Pods" held in a garage near you.  Classes limited to 10 to 12 students per class.. don't wait, sign up today.

Irisheyeball
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 14:43:42 (permalink)
We won’t see a cogent federal response until the Biden administration is in control.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 14:53:58 (permalink)
Irisheyeball
We won’t see a cogent federal response until the Biden administration is in control.

Because Biden will go against the constitution?

That is the only way to have a national response beyond what has already been done.

LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 14:55:26 (permalink)
DarDys
What is the national response to blizzards in Florida or hurricanes in North Dakota?

This country was designed for local action, state management, and national support because what happens in one part of the country can be extremely different than in other parts.

The national response should be relegated to what works for the country as a whole. Realistically, that is very little with regard to this virus — prevent further infected people from entering anywhere into the country; providing guidelines (not laws) for the states to consider (not necessarily adopt); provide logistical supply line support between states; and guard against the collapse of an economic collapse.

Beyond that goes outside of the Constitutional role of the Federal government, no matter who screams that they didn’t or aren’t doing enough. Until a state actually asks for federal help, the federal government must stay out of the state’s business (it is not injecting federal government into state business when it is federal property involved).

It is up to each state to address their geographic area for how best to monitor their response and to seek resources, from the federal government if necessary, and input from even more local sources in order to manage the situation.

Direct action needs to take place on the local level because they are closest to the issue. They know what they need and what they don’t. They need to source resources from their state and if the state cannot provide those resources, then the state needs to manage the situation by going to the federal government on the local’s behalf.

I don’t disagree with basically anything you’ve said.
Failures include:
- Public education and uniform guidelines heavily suggested by the federal gov’t (maybe even backed up by funding threats/Donny likes that one)
-Testing/ it’s bad and getting worse
-Plan to support public school reopening through funding and guidelines
- Highly focused aide to industries impacted economically by the crisis

This is a nationalized natural disaster. Wouldn’t you agree? Other countries are handling it. We are not. We need to do better from the top down.
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 15:01:09 (permalink)
DarDys
Irisheyeball

That is the only way to have a national response beyond what has already been done.

So it’s unconstitutional for TSA to increase security responses when terrorist activity is high?
It’s unconstitutional for FEMA to respond to Hurricanes?
It’s unconstitutional for DHS or Coast Guard to respond to threats to National security?
It’s unconstitutional for the Dept of Ed to pass down national edicts and tie them to funding?
Please...
Irisheyeball
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 15:47:43 (permalink)
DarDys
Irisheyeball

This notion that our constitution is a cookbook for what the Federal government’s roles are is misplaced. It is much more directly about what the feds CAN’T do, especially with respect to the “inalienable” rights of citizens and states. I think that the interstate nature of the pandemic throws open the door for a more robust Federal response. The details of that response can be debated. What’s not up for debate is the fact that our current administration’s response has been disastrous.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 15:51:56 (permalink)
LDD
DarDys

I don’t disagree with basically anything you’ve said.
Failures include:
- Public education and uniform guidelines heavily suggested by the federal gov’t (maybe even backed up by funding threats/Donny likes that one)
-Testing/ it’s bad and getting worse
-Plan to support public school reopening through funding and guidelines
- Highly focused aide to industries impacted economically by the crisis

This is a nationalized natural disaster. Wouldn’t you agree? Other countries are handling it. We are not. We need to do better from the top down.

Other countries, with the exception of those that probably aren’t reporting facts (China, Russia) are far more homogeneous from border to border than we are, so no, I would not agree.

With 20/20 hindsight, instead of dealing to a dynamic situation, especially with conflicting information from WHO, CDC, Birx, Fauci, and 50 governors, plus countless mayors, what exactly would you have done differently that is within the law (as it stands not as some think or fantasize it ought to be), particularly the constitution?

No one, including Biden, seems to be able to articulate an answer to that.

If they had a better way, why didn’t they bring it forth?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 16:20:18 (permalink)
LDD

So it’s unconstitutional for TSA to increase security responses when terrorist activity is high?
It’s unconstitutional for FEMA to respond to Hurricanes?
It’s unconstitutional for DHS or Coast Guard to respond to threats to National security?
It’s unconstitutional for the Dept of Ed to pass down national edicts and tie them to funding?
Please...

He's joshing right??

Irisheyeball
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 16:30:14 (permalink)

They did. It was called “Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents.” Developed by the prior administration, it was communicated to the Trump team as part of the orderly transfer of power. Trump disavowed its existence - although it is widely believed to have simply been discarded as it had the wrong president’s imprimatur.
post edited by Irisheyeball - 2020/07/27 16:33:50
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 16:44:45 (permalink)
Irisheyeball

They did. It was called “Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents.” Developed by the prior administration, it was communicated to the Trump team as part of the orderly transfer of power. Trump disavowed its existence - although it is widely believed to have simply been discarded as it had the wrong president’s imprimatur.

Huh.... I'll be darned. So what did the Obama Administration know annnnnnd when did they know it.🙉

Irisheyeball
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 16:59:09 (permalink)
Not sure, but it apparently took them three years to conjure up the novel coronavirus and hustle it over to Wuhan.
MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 652
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 17:05:00 (permalink)
Let’s all try to imagine a scenario where 150,000 US citizens die of a global pandemic while Barack Obama is in office, and the collective response of all you Trump voters is simply: “Welp, federalism“ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sure. Sounds plausible.
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/27 17:38:20 (permalink)
What should have been done differently?

- Nationalized testing
- Nationalized messaging on KNOWN things that work (masks/distancing)
- Nationalized standardization of re-opening criteria
- Nationalized support for essential functions (schools, hospitals, food, energy supply

Not laws...LEADERSHIP
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 50 of 64
Jump to: