Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 72
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2376
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 09:31:43 (permalink)
There's been a real mix of viral infections floating the past 4-6 weeks . What you describe is what my family had about a month ago . We had a party for our grand daughter and the next day 5 became very sick with exact symptoms you describe mostly upper and lower GI symptoms that lasted about 2-3 days . Seem all recovered without any longer ailments but it took everyone by surprise that fast.

There is also several types of nasal viruses going around now...I had one with running nose , and bad coughing that lasted over 12 days. Did see the doctor he did a nose swab test said it was a nasal virus when the tests came back days later. Nothing to do for viruses but let them run the course ...antibiotics won't help. Feel fine now...but laying low .       
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4684
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 09:36:01 (permalink)
So here is a just-for-chewing-the-fat hypothetical — what if there can be no November election? Technically Trump is in office until late January. But what about if there is no elected President by then? With both Trump and Pence our, does that mean the next actually elected official in the line of succession becomes President?

Hello President Pelosi?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7640
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:01:21 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Pork, IMO, there are already that many or even many more already infected, we will just know about more of them with the increase in testing.  They do need to develop the antibody test for this, available to anyone, to determine who actually had it and was exposed to it.  That will come later as it isn't overly important right now but will be important to determine the "true" mortality rate of this "new" coronavirus.  Anything new that we have no innate resistance to will be much worse on humans the first go around.  All the different flus and known coronaviruses had similar or worse effects on humans.  Heck, the common cold is a coronavirus and when it first came out hundreds of years ago, it probably wreaked havoc on the human population.  

TBH, I think the wife, daughter and I had/have it right now.  Seeing more and more articles about how approx. 50% of cases (204 in the study form China) presented first with GI symptoms and not the typical upper respiratory symptoms.  Last Tues. and Wed., the wife and I were both down and out with vomiting and severe body aches/fevers for 36 hrs.  Sweated it out until Wednesday evening but we both were still throwing low grade fevers off and on for a few days, her longer than me.  Monday this week, my daughter came down with the exact same thing but seems to have recovered much quicker.  
Scary part is, the articles state those with GI symptoms have worse overall symptoms or outcomes, typically.  In the study, 7 out of 204 did only have GI symptoms and recovered easily.  

Went to the doctor last week to get my clearance note to go back to work and he totally dismissed Covid 19, but not so sure now.  I haven't been back to work since though.  I do have a slight cough now, the past couple days, but no fever anymore. Sneezing too but I think both of those are a function of open windows, getting outside and breathing in all the mold spores and pollen out there right now.  

I just pray the panic and hysteria does not get too out of hand.  

Completely agree that there are many more than they are noting are infected.  I doubt we are at 40%-60% of the population at this point though.  I would think many more reported cases if so.  If you believe what is being said by the President's panel of Dr's (I do for the most part), the vast majority of tests are coming back NEGATIVE.  We have a lot of other viruses/infections going around right now too.  I was sick 2-3 weeks ago.  It was throat, cough, cough and more cough.  Like, I slept maybe 40 hours in 2 weeks, due to waking myself up any time I fell asleep type cough.  I am still coughing from it, but seems just like it turned into part of my life...  My sinuses were filled, so assuming it wasn't this virus.  I had body aches, but I think more from not sleeping...  For every list of symptoms that says stuffed sinuses aren't a symptom, another list says it is...  There was no sputum, which is what a dry cough is.  I had a low grade fever for a few days (99.5).  Who knows.  I could have had it and a sinus infection on top of it?  I am guessing just a bad sinus infection/common cold and didn't have.  I did get it about 3-4 days after being in Philadelphia's Chinatown...  A lady that I work with said that she had the same exact symptoms and was tested and had the flu.  Who knows.

We definitely need a test for who was exposed.  I highly doubt that they will offer that to everyone though.  That would just make too much sense.  We know government and logic, don't usually mix.  A month after this all clears up, half of Americans will completely forget about it...

One thing is for sure, the testing for this thing is a complete disgrace to our public health system.  Whoever is responsible, Feds, State, local.  Or maybe no real format developed for who is responsible, which would even be more of a disgrace.  We need to figure that out, in case this thing comes back in the fall.  Supposedly, that is when the Spanish Flu of 1918 really took a toll.  For no one to have tests ready to go, when they knew there was a good likelihood of this to make it here and spread, is ridiculous.  Richard Burr (and others) sure had an idea this was a real concern at the time.  Enough to dump stocks before the crash, but not enough to advise public health officials to ramp up testing... 

I had posted an article about a week or so ago, that the CDC was just awarding contracts for tests, that will be 8 weeks to 12 weeks out.  They were like $500K for a million tests or close to.  $500K when it comes to Federal spending, is like 50 cents to any of us...  If it passed as nothing, $500K on something like that wouldn't have been anything compared to other normal federal waste.  South Korea started development before the virus hit them and had a million tests ready to go, within 3 weeks of starting development...  Which ended up being 1.5 weeks after their first case.  They tested everyone that they felt could have come near the virus.  CDC was playing pocket pool 1.5 weeks after our first case, calling it a hoax, while it spread without any sort of plan (besides shutting borders).  I thought we had the Worlds Best Health System in the World???  Our government and our population pump more cash into big pharma and our health system as a whole, for what???  Those on the front lines having to reuse masks and protective equipment?  Tests only for the famous, while the average American has to have half of his lung hanging out of his mouth before testing???  Not even testing those in the medical profession that have had pneumonia, while this virus is around???  I am not sure if I would say there is a better candidate to test than BH's buddy???  Let's just put him back to work with seizure and cancer patients, without even seeing if it might be this virus...  WTF???  
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2208
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:07:50 (permalink)
No matter what  you folks had am glad to hear its getting over with.
Scarey times.
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 913
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:27:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2020/03/22 23:14:36
There are many on this forum that still thinks its a hoax, its just the flu it will be gone in days .Look at the moneys wasted on forever Russia investigations,collusion ect ect ect!!!!!!.Time to put all that hate aside and try to keep people alive!!! A few words on that. Like to clear up a few things about our medical workers. Im a registered MT(ASCP) medical Technolgist I just talked to my former Pittsburgh Hospital there are scrambling panic not yet But every day is a new day.I been retired for 8 years now and quite a few uf us will be called back to work(our choice).Its not doctors and its not nurses that are doing the testing in these labs yes they do the swaps but its sent to lab.Doctors and nurses don't work in most labs They are Medical Technologists ,Medical Lab Tech, and Medical assistants. Im not downplaying thses other health care jobs just want people to see there are so many others doing their part and exposing theirselves to this virus and they will be getting sick even with all the protective equipment at their disposal.
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 913
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:34:10 (permalink)
A little more about my above post. The reason there are shortages of these workers is because the young of today don't want to go college foe 4 years and then an internship of another year and then a state registry exam.They don't care to work evenings,nites holidays ect. they prefer the higher paying jobs.After all this goes away maybe the powers to be will invest in health care,reopen schools so these folks can be trained then and yes to get these workers we have to bring them in form mostly plillipines to work.   Im done ranting sorry guys
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:35:43 (permalink)
bigfoot

I agree. But will it last? 

With the Richard Burr thing coming out, if he doesn't resign today, then less than 24 hours?
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3091
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:44:41 (permalink)
Porktown
bigfoot

I agree. But will it last? 

With the Richard Burr thing coming out, if he doesn't resign today, then less than 24 hours?

Dianne Feinstein better go too, along with Senators from OK and GA.

If you believe she has no knowledge of what her husband does, I have oceanfront property to sell you in Kansas.

"Feinstein, who serves as ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and her husband sold between $1.5 million and $6 million in stock in California biotech company Allogene Therapeutics, between Jan. 31 and Feb. 18, The New York Times reported.
When questioned by the newspaper, a spokesman for the Democrat from San Francisco said Feinstein wasn’t directly involved in the sale.
“All of Senator Feinstein’s assets are in a blind trust,” the spokesman, Tom Mentzer, told the Times. “She has no involvement in her husband’s financial decisions.”

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:46:11 (permalink)
 Cal just implemented most of what we in the East have had for a couple of weeks now-
With the distinct exception of Cals 'stay in place' order.
Been waiting for someone to go with the STAY thing as that seems to be next.
Wifey and I have been doing that anyhoo due to ages and my other compromising issues.
Go to the ATM  ( gloved of course) and withdraw without having to deal with a live person..for any upcoming 'no bank' days.
Also go out for a 'deer viewing'  each evening alone- keeps me sane.
Today  will be gloved up and filling gas cans for yard equipment as this will certainly go on till mowing time.
Guess I could do without those things but am prepping early in case it gets mandatory.
Gonna paste up Deer photos all over the garage so I can take an evening walk instead of a ride, if need be.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:49:10 (permalink)
psu_fish

Dianne Feinstein better go too, along with Senators from OK and GA.

Sounds good to me.  Anyone involved needs to go.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11978
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:55:18 (permalink)
DarDys
So here is a just-for-chewing-the-fat hypothetical — what if there can be no November election? Technically Trump is in office until late January. But what about if there is no elected President by then? With both Trump and Pence our, does that mean the next actually elected official in the line of succession becomes President?

Hello President Pelosi?

Good thought DarDy.

I was thinking Trump getting the virus followed by Spence and Pelosi/Schumer team invoking the 25th section 4.

But you could be right, about that "no" election thingy.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2376
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:55:52 (permalink)
With such a contagious virus and able to survive for 3 days on many surfaces I wonder even with being isolated is it still destiny for most of us. I get my mail and newspaper and look at it , going to the grocery stores and grabbing shelf products , get handed money for change , pump gas ,pick up take outs in bags and boxes , get pharmacy medicine ....to me it almost seems impossible not to come in contact with it in time no matter how careful we can be. Lets hope all ends well in time.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 10:59:09 (permalink)
Hydroxychloroquine an Anti-Malaria Drug in conjunction with Zithromycin an antibiotic is showing great promise in treating Covid-19.

Posted this earlier and no comment??? 🤔

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 11:05:48 (permalink)
Agree Hook- there is risk everywhere--guess the trick is to minimize it as much as possible.
I go rubber gloved even at the ATM and toss the gloves after each use.
Cal Gov said something about 40 percent or so of his folks out there may get it.
Thats HUGE-
Hope for a fast med to help out like the stuff Been just mentioned- even it  isnt a cure all yet but something to suppress will be a good thing.

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1890
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 11:15:40 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
With such a contagious virus and able to survive for 3 days on many surfaces I wonder even with being isolated is it still destiny for most of us. I get my mail and newspaper and look at it , going to the grocery stores and grabbing shelf products , get handed money for change , pump gas ,pick up take outs in bags and boxes , get pharmacy medicine ....to me it almost seems impossible not to come in contact with it in time no matter how careful we can be. Lets hope all ends well in time.

My dad sprays his mail with bleach before opening it. I went thru the drive-thru for food and told the clerk to throw my change in the back seat of my truck. I sprayed my hands and money before handing it to the clerk. This might become the new norm for a while.

BH
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 11:19:59 (permalink)
Speaking of Cal. Gov. wouldn't this be a prime time to "get his foot in the door" without fear of being beat up by the Media-BS virus, annnnnnd clear the streets of all the homeless? Or haven't yinz seen that on CNN & MSNBC?

Speaking of getting a foot in the door. How about The POTUS doing away with bogus FDA regulations used to control what and when, new medications can hit the market.

Back to sweeping the streets, how many other states will follow suit orrrrr miss a good opportunity??

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 11:21:14 (permalink)
Not sure how effective, but UV lights are supposed to kill the virus.  Many hospitals use to help disinfect rooms.  I have some bulbs that I ordered for drying UV cures for lures.  Not sure if the strength of the hospital grade lights, but hoping it does something for mail and other stuff.

I too have heard the chloroquine, with one of the local suppliers based in this area, ramping up production.  They aren't about to call it a cure just yet, but something they know is relatively safe and somewhat effective on those they tried it on.  From what I had read, it has people testing negative in 3 days.  Would be great if that is the solution. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 11:22:38 (permalink)
Wont go to the drive through for food anymore- know some must do so .
Folks working there are not high end salary makers and may have to come in even if not feeling well just to make ends meet or to keep the job- then they handle my food.
Not throwing any stones whatsoever- - just being practical.

Imagine - just a few weeks ago none of us would have ever thought we would be having such discussions.
Hope ya all stay well.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 11:35:13 (permalink)
Just read that the bulbs that I have likely won't do much for disinfection.  Needs to be UV-C.  Mine is just UV-A.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 11:46:06 (permalink)
Capt good point about touching your mail and newspaper and BH mentioning passing of money.

I mentioned using credit cards a while back. Even if you slide your own card into a "reader" and remove it yourself.... somebody was there before you.

Here's another thought.... buying fruits and vegetables. Probably one of the most touched items in a grocery market. Tomatoes, apples, oranges, etc. always being squeezed by someone.

Yes, those items can be washed (should always be). 🤔Ever pay attention how many times a person will touch their face while they grocery shop? An itch here, a tear there, maybe a runny nose or just adjust your eye glasses.

Yep, ya can wash your hands and your fruit so remember, when the Russians attack..... hide under your desk.

In other news.....

Any comment about the income extensions??
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/20 11:51:05

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 12:06:21 (permalink)
Pork another treatment showing promise and being used for critical care patients.

Plasma from past victims of Covid-19.

Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 12:22:32 (permalink)
UPMC in Pittsburgh held a press conference this morning, and very encouraging news so far, at least for our region, even while not so good in some other large cities.  

950 tests conducted by UPMC, including 350 kids.  

5 adults tested positive, and no kids.  

No widespread community transmission.  No inundation of their hospitals.  Still emphasis on social distancing.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 12:41:54 (permalink)
Great report Dave.

My concern, if needed, will UPMC be able to reactivate all the "beds" they've shut down over the years, at local facilities UPMC has closed down?

Greenville for example... a well known, health care facility, no longer operates as it once did, since UPMC got it's claws into the hospital.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/20 12:46:24

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 13:18:54 (permalink)
https://www.wtae.com/article/coronavirus-pennsylvania-latest/31752094

The counties that hav
e confirmed cases, according to the PA Department of Health, are:
  • Adams County (4)
  • Allegheny County (28)
  • Beaver County (3)
  • Berks County (5)
  • Bucks County (16)
  • Chester County (17)
  • Cumberland County (11)
  • Delaware County (23)
  • Erie County (1)
  • Franklin County (1)
  • Lackawanna County (4)
  • Lancaster County (2)
  • Lebanon County (1)
  • Lehigh County (2)
  • Luzerne County (2)
  • Monroe County (19)
  • Montgomery County (59)
  • Northampton County (10)
  • Philadelphia County (42)
  • Pike County (2)
  • Potter County (1)
  • Washington County (3)
  • Wayne County (1)
  • Westmoreland County (4)
  • York County (6)
 5 days ago, 2 in Allegheny County and 1 in Washington County, were the only reported in WPA.  Going off of memory, there were 6 counties with cases then.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 13:29:28 (permalink)
Just heard they're calling up the National Guard in PA., and shutting most everything down.

BH
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2093
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 14:25:16 (permalink)
Porktown
https://www.wtae.com/article/coronavirus-pennsylvania-latest/31752094

The counties that hav
e confirmed cases, according to the PA Department of Health, are:
  • Adams County (4)
  • Allegheny County (28)
  • Beaver County (3)
  • Berks County (5)
  • Bucks County (16)
  • Chester County (17)
  • Cumberland County (11)
  • Delaware County (23)
  • Erie County (1)
  • Franklin County (1)
  • Lackawanna County (4)
  • Lancaster County (2)
  • Lebanon County (1)
  • Lehigh County (2)
  • Luzerne County (2)
  • Monroe County (19)
  • Montgomery County (59)
  • Northampton County (10)
  • Philadelphia County (42)
  • Pike County (2)
  • Potter County (1)
  • Washington County (3)
  • Wayne County (1)
  • Westmoreland County (4)
  • York County (6)
 5 days ago, 2 in Allegheny County and 1 in Washington County, were the only reported in WPA.  Going off of memory, there were 6 counties with cases then.

Probably going to be a lot more once testing is done. Wonder where it's all going to end????

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 15:05:50 (permalink)
I just watched a test (on TV) being conducted at a drive up sight.

Lucky the dude had a dash cam to record the test so he could become a News Network celebrity.

But anyway, all I saw was an arm dressed in a painters suit reach through the drivers window and insert a test swab into the dudes nose.

CRAP..... I had to hold onto my armchair 😱 wondering if the swab was gonna be pushed into the dudes brain. I did feel better getting a chuckle seeing his face😵 when the swab was extracted.

So anyway the test was positive and now the dude enjoys his 15 minutes of isolated fame.

Best question of the interview.... "were you close to going to a hospital"?

I guess to the Media-BS virus it just ain't quite as exciting if a hospital or death ain't involved.

Anyways, anybody see the press briefing this afternoon. Good grief, the American press leaves a lot to be desired.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/20 15:23:02

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 15:20:23 (permalink)
BloodyHand
Just heard they're calling up the National Guard in PA., and shutting most everything down.

BH

Geez... last time I saw the Guard called out was 1972ish when they were needed to patrol interstate overpasses to keep striking independent truckers from dropping cement blocks onto non-striking trucks passing below.

Colder temps required some sort of heat for the troops standing guard. Usually a steel drum with a coal fire. Smoke curling from an overpass was a signal of safety. No smoke..... be prepared to duck.

Sorry, different story, but mention of the guard brought back fond memories.🤗
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/20 15:21:44

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 15:39:52 (permalink)
Wifey gets tested tomorrow morning. 5-7 days for the results.

BH
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/20 16:05:34 (permalink)
Heeeeeeeeeeres BOBBY..... the Truth on the National Guard.

Gov. Tom Wolf has activated 50 National Guard personnel to serve as “subject matter expert planners to assist the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency," the National Guard Bureau said....2 days ago.

I'm hearing... PEMA so screwed up and out of date, Bobby need the National Guard to save his stupid asz.

Get ready to duck.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/20 16:09:37

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 72
Jump to: