Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 64
Author
MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 652
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/20 23:00:41 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Post an opinion article full of "strawmen" annnnnnd boogeyman, calling the data scientific.

Quick like a bunny, without googling the term and in your own words, explain what is meant by a “strawman argument”
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11796
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 00:00:32 (permalink)
Quick like a bunny.... look in a mirror to see a thumbsucking "strawman".

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3398
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 07:32:25 (permalink)
No need for masks....social distancing will do!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 08:10:28 (permalink)
😂

Unfortunately Gillz, it's becoming to be.

IMHO, folks wearing mask are embarrassed with wearing one soooo they gotta make everybody uncomfortable. Butt then, there are the "trendies".😷

I have a question for the sports fans who can no longer attend their games of choice but forced to watch on TV.

Might it not be politically correct, to call it an "oxymoron"... having Dr 'Falsie' throwing the first pitch of baseball season?

Hmmm🤔 Dr 'Falsie' now wooed by professional sports. Where sports fans can no longer attend their favorite sports.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/21 08:14:52

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7579
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 09:54:00 (permalink)
Who cares why Trump is now promoting masks.  There is far more data on them slowing the spread than doing any harm.  The slower the spread, the more areas stay in the green phases and the more the economy gains traction and businesses stay afloat.  Hopefully doing in time to save schools for the fall, which I imagine is a reason for promoting now and admirable in my book.  It is a pretty simple formula.  Defy the guidelines and the spread goes up and more restrictions.  These guidelines are made by a Republican lead task force.  Just promote your own guidelines...  
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 11:35:46 (permalink)
All well and good but, there ain't gonna be an effective vaccine for this thing so....will masks be worn from now until..........when?  

If current antibodies are only staying around in people for one or two months....and at the tail end of that, they are REALLY low....then the whole concept of a vaccine is not going to work....or, will we be taking vaccine shots every 2 or 3 months?

I am hoping they do come up with some better/more effective treatments as I think that will have a better shot of working for the near and long term.  Have read several articles where they were making headway on this front.   

At some point, all this mask wearing all the time will catch up to our immune system...(a few months, no biggie) we are meant to be exposed to a myriad of germs (bacteria and viruses) so out immune system can learn to fight them all off...
What that point is.....not sure.  

On a brighter note, picked over a gallon of wild blackberries at my kids' dek hockey practice last night....no mask.  If you know of any patches around, they are ripe and ready...probably good picking for the next week or so.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 11:58:22 (permalink)
Ours are still in the green to red phase. Blackberries that is.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 12:15:25 (permalink)
The Spanish flu pandemic went away without a vaccine in 2 years world wide.  About 1.5 years in the USA.  Doing without antibiotics and Asprin being the miracle drug.  Many deaths during that time would have been prevented with antibiotics and knowing there was a toxicity to Asprin.  The most effective approach was social distancing and wearing masks.  There are ways to beat this that other countries have figured out.  All of those countries mandated masks.  The sooner that everyone does it, the sooner things will be back to normal.  If the misinformation stuff would end (thank you Mr. President for stepping up), it would only need to be a few months of wearing.  The longer that nonsense drags on with those that know very little about virus spread, keep spreading misinformation about masks, the longer we all have to wear them.  This should no longer be a Rep vs Dem thing, thanks to our president stepping up recently.  Those on the Dem side should be praising him for possibly the most unifying action of his presidency and not throwing stones.

If a surgeon, nurse, etc. wears a surgical or N95 mask for 6-7 hours, 5 days per week, year round for years, regardless of pandemic or not, wouldn't their immune systems be showing issues?  We are still being exposed to a myriad of germs.  They aren't 100% effective, but are proven to show the slowing of the virus world wide, by hundreds of studies.  Even those that have to wear more than 6-7 hours are likely not wearing as filtering of masks as the medical professionals.  Maybe few wear up to 10 hours per day.  They are breathing in other air, when not in social settings for 14 hours.  The vast majority of the rest of us, likely wear a mask less than an hour per day, when we know we'll be in a public indoor setting that requires them.  23+ hours of other germs that your immune system is learning to fight off. 

snagr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 16:00:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JM2 2020/07/21 19:04:32
Porktown
There are ways to beat this that other countries have figured out.  All of those countries mandated masks.  

you sure about that?

looking around the world, it's really been a mixed bag.  some countries, states/provinces and localities that had forced lockdowns for months had some of the worst outcomes.  some countries, states/provinces and localities that pretty much left things open had some of the better outcomes.  and vice versa.  

same with masks.  

the data is easy to find to support whatever position you want to take on any of the strategies that have been implemented.  

what if this virus is just like most new viruses that spring up?  they hit hard in some places and not so hard in other places for different reasons: population density, social habits and customs, general sanitation, general overall health and wellness, access to healthcare, etc.   and there's really not much that a person can do, other than avoid all human contact, to not catch it.  

we're not nearly in control of nature as we like to think that we are.  
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 16:53:51 (permalink)
snagr
Porktown
There are ways to beat this that other countries have figured out.  All of those countries mandated masks.  
snagu you are exactly right,no matter whats done  either masks,migigation,total lockdowns its the virus calling the shots. Until a reliable vaccine that works and gives immunity this will be with us no matter who is in charge or what country your in!!!!!! And even then it will rear its ugly head year in and year out like most virus's do. 

you sure about that?

looking around the world, it's really been a mixed bag.  some countries, states/provinces and localities that had forced lockdowns for months had some of the worst outcomes.  some countries, states/provinces and localities that pretty much left things open had some of the better outcomes.  and vice versa.  

same with masks.  

the data is easy to find to support whatever position you want to take on any of the strategies that have been implemented.  

what if this virus is just like most new viruses that spring up?  they hit hard in some places and not so hard in other places for different reasons: population density, social habits and customs, general sanitation, general overall health and wellness, access to healthcare, etc.   and there's really not much that a person can do, other than avoid all human contact, to not catch it.  

we're not nearly in control of nature as we like to think that we are.  

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1379
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 16:55:07 (permalink)

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 652
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/21 17:02:31 (permalink)
snagr

Really? Which countries that had forced lockdowns are worse than the US right now? And which countries that have high mask usage are doing worse than the US right now?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 07:48:28 (permalink)
fishin coyote
https://www.yahoo.com/new...w-virus-163310920.html

Good read.

“It's critical that the public follows the public health recommendations like wearing cloth face coverings, remaining 6 feet apart from other people, washing hands frequently, and staying home when sick.”
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 08:55:35 (permalink)
Porktown
fishin coyote
https://www.yahoo.com/new...w-virus-163310920.html

Good read.

“It's critical that the public follows the public health recommendations like wearing cloth face coverings (blah, blah, blah), remaining 6 feet apart from other people (good idea), washing hands frequently (always a good idea), and staying home when sick (obviously a great idea).”

Did you ever get any further on the NIH antibody study Pork?  They must not have liked my questionnaire answers, as that is all the farther I got....I don't "think" the CDC study mentioned in the link above is the same one you and I tried to sign up for. 

"What’s more, it’s still unclear whether antibodies confer immunity, and if so, how long that immunity lasts, Havers said. “We don't know if antibodies represent protection from the virus. And there may be some suggestion that antibodies waning over time, so we don't know if herd immunity is achievable,” she said."

If the above ends up being true, then the same concept of a "good" vaccine will most likely not be achievable either.  If your body doesn't keep the antibodies around for very long, then the vaccine will quickly lose its effectiveness.  
Effective treatments will be the next big thing...if antibodies and vaccines don't pan out. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 10:12:32 (permalink)
I didn't make the cut either.  Not even sure if it ended up happening.  Soon after I received my "welcome, we'll reach out to you soon" message, the reports were going around about how inaccurate the serology tests had been.  The latest that I have been reading, they aren't much better in terms of accuracy.  So, studies like this one come with a lot of estimating involved.  Being peer reviewed and following scientific protocol, I tend to look at them as a source of well though out guesswork, more than anything. 

What they are saying about the "still unclear whether antibodies confer immunity" is something they will not know for sure until after a vaccine is in mass distribution OR if we hear of hundreds/thousands of cases of symptomatic reinfection.  Some people will just not build immunity regardless if vaccinated or had the virus.  Antibodies will wear off at different rates in different people, some produce a lot more than others.  Which doesn't mean losing the antibodies makes you still vulnerable for the virus.  The immune system has the ability to learn past infections and able to process those antibodies quickly, without having to relearn (immune response). 

Which I believe is why the serology tests are not all that accurate.  Antibodies wear off in many that have been infected, regardless of infection, but hopefully if re-infected, their immune response is able to trigger those antibodies quickly.  That is why it would be important to note, symptomatic reinfection and not just reinfection.  Vaccines will not stop the actual infection, but will trigger the immune response to fight that infection before it causes you to get sick.  If you are in a "hot spot" enclosed area with multiple people coughing, you are likely going to get reinfected, even if the antibodies are already in high gear in your body, you'd probably test positive for the virus in your system.  Your immune system is killing it off, but it is still there.  

This is why normal vaccine development takes a long time.  There is no way to truly speed up the process of seeing if that immune response is there in a year, without actually waiting the year.  I'm sure some labs are able to speed things up a little, but is putting things in that intelligent guesswork again.  They also study long potential effects that might be linked to the vaccine.  The longer they study, the more long term effects they can figure out.  They are trying to fast track these vaccines to skip that waiting period, which could be dangerous to an extent.  The vaccines that seem to have gotten the green light are produced from what FDA and others have already deemed as safe.  Much like many of the drugs they are testing for treatment.  

Even if these vaccines are 50% effective, they are still doing a lot to build herd immunity.  Which is the goal of vaccines, to add to those infected, and eliminate hosts for the virus.  Once there, we would truly be to the point of comparing this to how influenza effects the modern day public.  Without a flu vaccine, there would most likely be an annual pandemic in our modern day commerce structure.  The influenza antibodies and immune response in people wears off rather quickly too, why you need a shot every year.  Also why some people still get the flu after the shot, but is at least reported to lessen the symptoms.  Most likely due to your body still having either some antibodies or immune response, which might not have been instantaneous, but still responding before the virus was able to attack vital organs.  

The encouraging news so far, is that we only have heard a handful of people that have been reinfected.  As long as that remains a low portion of the public, then a vaccine should put COVID much more in line with influenza and possibly even less deadly.

After that...  Yes, a vaccine might not work.  And treatment might be the only hope.  But it seems like the majority of health experts are optimistic about a vaccine at the very least, making this a situation that would get us back to normal.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2131
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 10:33:16 (permalink)
All positive stuff IMHO.
I would gladly take a year of immunity and have to get another shot- just like the flu vaccine.
Yea it may not be 100% but it greatly reduces severity if ya get it and generally stops it entirely in most folks.
Of course if anyone gets it after the shot, and unfortunately passes on, the Lib press will blame Trump and post it up so much it looks like the norm instead of the outlier.
snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 11:07:16 (permalink)
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200716-the-people-with-hidden-protection-from-covid-19

this article (sorry can’t get a link to work from my dum fone) explains why our hopes in a traditional vaccine against covid may be pretty misplaced. it is becoming more clear that there may be little to no long term immunity to this particular virus.

very broad implications that will probably shape nearly every facet of our response in the future should we see another wide scale outbreak.
post edited by snagr - 2020/07/22 11:21:00
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 11:21:34 (permalink)
Can anybody lead me to indepth studies and accurate records pertaining to the influenza out breaks of the past? I'll accept the results of the studies providing the exact same criteria was usedb that is being used for Covid-19.

Then, I'd like to know, why lockdowns were not imposed during those times. Also why people were injected, with vaccines that didn't protect them, nor tested for severe side effects making many recipients sicker than the virus itself?

Please keep in mind, studies would need to be conducted exactly the same way as the study for Covid-19. All deaths need be recorded in the same manner. Meaning those that died with any sign of a flu virus "died from" the flu virus. I'll even go as far as accepting fatalities due to vehicular accidents if the deceased had/has/or was thought to carry the flu virus.

In other news.....

Am I wrong in thinking, Fauci showboating (a/k/a placed upon a pedestal) first with sunglasses and now by throwing out a pitch in a mostly empty stadium, might be a sign Fauci is fast becoming verrry unpopular?

In other other news........

Chinese consulate in Houston Texas raided. Occupants said to be burning and destroying all record keeping.

https://abc13.com/fire-ch...hina-tensions/6328284/

Would I be bitter in saying, I do hope some very popular American names are exposed?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/22 11:35:42

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 11:25:08 (permalink)
snagr
https://www.bbc.com/futur...otection-from-covid-19

this article (sorry can’t get a link to work from my dum fone) explains why our hopes in a traditional vaccine against covid may be pretty misplaced. it is becoming more clear that there may be little to no long term immunity to this particular virus.

very broad implications that will probably shape nearly every facet of our response in the future should we see another wide scale outbreak.

Is this it???👍👍👍

Would I seem skeptical in thinking, like every other glimmer of hope.... Dr Falsie, the FDA, the CDC and the Trump Thumper Nation will (again) paint doom and gloom responses?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/22 11:36:34

ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 14:43:50 (permalink)
Havn't seen any one mentioning the testing of our super essential sports figures and getting preferred treatment and rapid turn around time when the average american citizen if they can be tested at all has to wait week to 10 days for a result!!!!!! I guess the millionaire and billionaires are truly more important than the rest of us the almighty dollar again!!  If there were ever a definition of a NON Essential employee its got to be sports !!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 16:09:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fisherlady2 2020/07/22 17:55:57
snagr

Read the BBC article, then the below pdf.  Let me know if you are still thinking that hope in a traditional vaccine is misplaced?  T-cells are the (learning cells) of immune response and what every traditional vaccine is based off of.  The aren't some new exotic thing that this article seems to portray them as...  The author is explaining that the Oxford vaccine is doing exactly what the developer wanted it to do (surprising that BBC is enforcing the Oxford vaccine...).  Granted, this vaccine may not work for all (triggering those T-cells, which work with B-cells to produce antibodies) or may have some side effects that are worst than COVID...  That is why there are lengthy clinical trials.     

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 16:49:12 (permalink)
😞 I rest my case.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 17:19:50 (permalink)
I know science is too hard for some.
snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 17:33:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fisherlady2 2020/07/22 17:55:41
Porktown
Read the BBC article, then the below pdf.  Let me know if you are still thinking that hope in a traditional vaccine is misplaced?  T-cells are the (learning cells) of immune response and what every traditional vaccine is based off of.  The aren't some new exotic thing that this article seems to portray them as...  The author is explaining that the Oxford vaccine is doing exactly what the developer wanted it to do (surprising that BBC is enforcing the Oxford vaccine...).  Granted, this vaccine may not work for all (triggering those T-cells, which work with B-cells to produce antibodies) or may have some side effects that are worst than COVID...  That is why there are lengthy clinical trials.     

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf

i read the bbc article a couple of times, as well as some other articles about this t cell response.  it's been 25 years since i took microbiology and i didn't do particularly well in it, but some of those facts i thought i binged and purged for exams still echo a little bit as i read this stuff.

there are helper t cells, which stimulate b cells to make antibodies which provide long lasting protection against viruses and bacteria, which is typical in, say the measles/mumps/rubella vaccine.  there are also killer t cells that don't stimulate b cells to make long lasting antibodies.  

from my understanding of the bbc article and other things i've read, what researchers are finding to be much more prevalent in those who fight off covid is a greater presence of the killer t cells, rather than the helper t cells that provide the long lasting immunity.  the evidence of the killer t cell response is generally short lived - weeks to a couple of months - and although they are finding some antibody response to covid, it's not as prevalent as was first thought and hoped for.  the good thing is that with other viruses and bacteria, even the killer t cells seem to produce a sort of immune response memory, so that's encouraging.  

however, we're only a few months into this type of research, so those findings and that understanding may change.  there's obviously still a long way to go in researching this as you indicated, and we're still likely years and not months away from something that's been proven in clinical trials.  it's been awhile since i read this and i don't recall the source, but despite attempts to develop vaccines for the first SARS1 and then MERS, a vaccine never came.  and while comparisons of covid to influenza are common, this is more closely related to SARS1 and MERS so that could also be a good indicator that a vaccine for this may be much more difficult to find than was hoped for.  

it's generally the same principle as yearly influenza from the way i understand it, which have a wide variance in effectiveness from season to season based on the strain of influenza and the strain of the influenza in the vaccine.  and so from my understanding these findings and discoveries would likely point in the direction of - and by no means conclusively at this point in the game - a vaccine that is more than seasonal or yearly, but maybe monthly or every 6 weeks.  especially because as people age, t cell responses to viruses and bacteria diminish significantly.  

in related news, the government inked a $2B deal with Pfizer today to provide 100 million vaccines to americans, should one ever be developed.  

post edited by snagr - 2020/07/22 17:37:59
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 18:32:04 (permalink)
I agree to an extent with the SARS and MERS, but the entire world was not focused on vaccines as both were relatively contained epidemics. There hasn’t been an initiative like this ever.

Regardless of the additional information that you are responding with that wasn’t touched at all in the article... This is still exactly what vaccines are designed to do. Trigger the immune response to fight the infection. I’ll leave it to the thousands of scientists developing the vaccines to determine the specifics. They seem to be pretty optimistic about this Oxford vaccine and others.
snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/22 18:59:17 (permalink)
👍🏻
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/23 08:22:41 (permalink)
Trivia question...... of the week.

To the Boomers, do all y'all remember Saturday night wrestling and the packed bleachers with the prerecorded cheering and jeering coming from the cardboard crowds?

In other news, Dr Falsie throws out the first pitch to open baseball in "The Land of The Free". Dr Falsie is said to be throwing a "curve ball" at the opener.

Huh.... 🤔Dr Falsie throwing 'curve' balls, imagine that.😏

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie annnnnd another American culture headed for the toilet.

Play ball.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/23 14:56:42 (permalink)
Should schools be open.... this is the question.

I can't speak for parents having children in school butt I can speak as a tax payer.

Teachers should return to school even if they must sit all day, in the empty classroom.

If they refuse "Ronald Regan" their asz.

🙉

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 09:56:36 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Teachers should return to school even if they must sit all day, in the empty classroom.

Where do I sign up for the empty classroom thing???

I would imagine schools will start up in most areas (unless an area like Miami or Phoenix where things are a bit out of hand).  Most districts do whatever the funding tells them.  

It is more of a question of what you do when someone tests positive?  Does anyone exposed to them quarantine for 14 days as recommended?  If so, within a month, there will be 2-3 teachers and 50 students left in many schools that started with 20 teachers and 500 students.  Just about every kid would be "exposed" if another kid in the same building tests positive.  Kids go to different rooms for different classes, pass each other in the halls, 1/4 of the building are in a cafeteria at a time.  

The vast majority of kids, if they do become infected will be asymptomatic, the vast majority of those that do show will be relatively minor.  So for the kids' safety, I don't think it would be unreasonable at all to have them in schools.  This virus has always been about the elderly and other vulnerable population and the random few unlucky healthy people that I guess are low on T-cells or however it seems to select those people?  The teachers, administrators, parents, grandparents, etc., is where it turns to risk.  I would hope that most schools are providing teachers and administrators with PPE as most other employers of professions that require closer contact with others.  Every classroom should be set up like a cashier at Home Depot and given face masks.  Those teachers in the vulnerable category should be given unpaid leave, but position held for when they are able to return.

Getting them to school is another issue.  A large percentage of bus drivers are in the same demographic as yourself.  Many are guys/gals that are retired from their former careers, but bored sitting around the house.  Want to make a few extra bucks, that enjoy kids and want to perform a community service.  There are going to be a few that I would say understandably don't want to drive mobile petri dishes...  Especially 3 to a seat and rules against having any sort of barrier between them and the kids.  This would be much more of an issue in rural schools than urban/suburban schools where their schools aren't as far away.  I see there being a lot more parents dropping kids off, kids walking or taking public transportation. 

This seems like the perfect opportunity for those retired transportation professionals to step up for patriotic duty, no?

Mine are going.  Just going to keep even more distance from the more vulnerable population.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/07/24 10:24:59 (permalink)
Ah, but HIPPA rules prohibit information about “who” tested positive exactly (without the person’s written permission), so if a positive test arises and the person who tested positive does not want that information disclosed so that it can be ascertained who in the cohort group actually had contact in a manner that puts them at risk, it must be presumed that the entire group is at-risk and the appropriate quarantine measures will need to be applied to everyone.

This is a sticking point at at least one university that I am familiar with — positive test information cannot be distributed beyond the individual without their permission.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 64
Jump to: