Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 45
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7403
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 20:46:01 (permalink)
EMitch
A couple of you mentioned Biden. Has anybody seen old Joe? What is his plan for getting America through the pandemic? After all, he is the top contender on the left for POTUS.

Uncle Joe is set to speak about the current AIDs pandemic...

I think he may have read MyWar’s post about this job no longer about golfing and blaming the media.

Joe Exotic... Ha ha. That Tiger King is some crazy stuff.
MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 428
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 20:54:43 (permalink)
r3g3
Has nothing to do with population unless the tests have been done in  near proportion and the social rules have been the same as well as people living in some kind of similar density IMHO for comparable purposes.

I only mentioned population to establish that the two areas have similar sized metro areas. New Orleans isn’t some huge city like NYC, Boston or LA. Obviously some big difference in demographics tho.

But yea all the other variables you mentioned are gonna affect how the virus affects the local population. That’s kind of my point. Also things like age, income, obesity rates, and the capacity of the local healthcare systems... all that stuff will affect mortality and infection rates.

I’m not really trying to draw any conclusions, other than saying that something very different is happening in these two areas, (and I’m kind of glad I’m in western PA and not New Orleans right now).
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2376
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 20:56:23 (permalink)
JM2

Confusing thought. So sending medical supplies to China to help China contain the virus at its source, early on, is a bad thing? Another ****ed if you do, and ****ed if you don't type of criticism. 

So doing things early on is a good thing ...I totally agree

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 21:08:26 (permalink)
I have a feeling this virus was spread all around the world including the US, before China even acknowledged its existence.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11094
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 21:14:13 (permalink)
I'm sensing the Trump-thumpers are hoping this virus thingy might be their knight in shining armor, just so they can say "we told you so".

Just unreal the gloating, when the thumpers find an article, posted on the internet, that fits their agenda of wishful failure.

So, is it truly a wish for failure or just a need for information to sooth the need for ball busting?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 21:16:38 (permalink)
MyWar

There is almost an order of magnitude in difference between the two. So either New Orleans has ALOT more than 1,480 infections, or the number of infections is accurate and some other factor is causing the mortality rate in that are to be almost 10x higher. Crazy.

I don't think it'd be at all a stretch to say that the urban deep South would have a higher mortality rate than urban areas in the rest of the US.  Probably rural south will as well.  Even as testing appears to be lagging way behind in the south.  

In almost every metric of quality of life the deep south states - LA, MS, AL, AR - are towards the bottom of the list, especially overall public health.  Higher rates of chronic illness (especially the big 3 in this - heart disease, diabetes and COPD); lower life expectancy; worse health care services; etc.  

Not asking sarcastically or rhetorically, but have you ever spent much time in impoverished areas of the south?  I've not lived in those areas, but have spent a week or two at a time nearly every summer over the past 20 years doing home repairs and service projects with church groups as well as visiting extended family in some of those areas.  Mostly rural, but some urban as well.  So I'm not an expert by any means, but poverty in the south just has a different feel to it to me than it does in Pittsburgh and other places I've been in the northeast.  More ominous and heavier, if that makes sense?  Folks in general don't seem to take their own health and safety as seriously.  There's a fatalism of sorts, that COULD lead to many folks not taking this very seriously if they don't have it and COULD also not taking it very seriously if they do have it, up to and including seeking medical care that could save their lives.  

MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 21:51:43 (permalink)
rsquared
Not asking sarcastically or rhetorically, but have you ever spent much time in impoverished areas of the south?  

I’ve spent a little bit of time there. I’ve been to Little Rock for work a couple times and I’ve passed through a handful of towns including NO the year after Katrina. Haven’t experienced much of it firsthand but everything you say regarding poverty in the Deep South sounds about right.
Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 21:57:03 (permalink)
JM2
I have a feeling this virus was spread all around the world including the US, before China even acknowledged its existence.

These researchers say that if China had acted 3 weeks earlier, there could have potentially been 95% less cases of this worldwide than there will be.  

https://www.southampton.a...03/covid-19-china.page
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 22:00:07 (permalink)
=

Updated 12:45 PM ET, Thu September 27, 2018

(CNN)An estimated 80,000 Americans died of flu and its complications last winter, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Additionally, the nation experienced a record-breaking estimated 900,000 hospitalizations last flu season.

"The thing that was most notable about last year was how high in terms of activity things were," said Nordlund. She explained that last season, unlike previous seasons, flu did not strike one region of the country and then move across the land. "There were three consecutive weeks when the entire continental US was affected by flu at a very high level," she said.

Related Article Flu vaccine, even when just 20% effective, saves tens of thousands of lives
The 2017-2018 season was also marked by high severity across all age groups -- the first season where the CDC found that to be the case.

When there is a vaccine available.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/30 22:03:46

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 22:23:07 (permalink)
I have no reason to be a "trump thumper" ..no wishing failure either ...he does all the talking without my comments ...I posted what he said to America.....I actually find it sickening to think people would wish a killing virus upon people over a stupid presidential seat ! I just don't appreciate someone's constant lying to try and make themselves look good at the costs of American lives.

Quit putting words in peoples mouth that they didn't say ...print my quotes not what you think  I meant !  Quit assuming ....read what is said .

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 22:25:48 (permalink)
rsquared

These researchers say that if China had acted 3 weeks earlier, there could have potentially been 95% less cases of this worldwide than there will be.  

Here's a slightly dated article that mentions that there was an usually high number of pneumonia cases in Italy,  before the first case was confirmed.

https://time.com/5799586/..y-coronavirus-outbreak/
Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 22:37:19 (permalink)
JM2
rsquared

Here's a slightly dated article that mentions that there was an usually high number of pneumonia cases in Italy,  before the first case was confirmed.

https://time.com/5799586/..y-coronavirus-outbreak/

Yeah, the general consensus is that this started in late November in China.  With how global travel is, it's not at all crazy to think that this could have been in the US by late December or early January.  

I know quite a few people who were knocked down with some nasty flu like symptoms in late January or early February, and were negative when tested for Influenza, and have said, "I wonder if this is what I had."  Not saying that it's absolutely what they had, but I don't think it's that crazy to think they may have had it and recovered.  

I read an article about a doctor in Washington State who was on the frontlines when the first case was diagnosed there in late January.  She was part of a research team in the Seattle area that had been collecting nasal swabs throughout the winter from people with flu like symptoms, and she wanted to go back and re test those specimens for this, but was shot down by the state and the CDC.  She finally started doing it anyway and found a couple of positives, showing that it had been there much longer than anybody realized.   
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 23:11:38 (permalink)
rsquared
MyWar

There is almost an order of magnitude in difference between the two. So either New Orleans has ALOT more than 1,480 infections, or the number of infections is accurate and some other factor is causing the mortality rate in that are to be almost 10x higher. Crazy.

I don't think it'd be at all a stretch to say that the urban deep South would have a higher mortality rate than urban areas in the rest of the US.  Probably rural south will as well.  Even as testing appears to be lagging way behind in the south.  

In almost every metric of quality of life the deep south states - LA, MS, AL, AR - are towards the bottom of the list, especially overall public health.  Higher rates of chronic illness (especially the big 3 in this - heart disease, diabetes and COPD); lower life expectancy; worse health care services; etc.  

Not asking sarcastically or rhetorically, but have you ever spent much time in impoverished areas of the south?  I've not lived in those areas, but have spent a week or two at a time nearly every summer over the past 20 years doing home repairs and service projects with church groups as well as visiting extended family in some of those areas.  Mostly rural, but some urban as well.  So I'm not an expert by any means, but poverty in the south just has a different feel to it to me than it does in Pittsburgh and other places I've been in the northeast.  More ominous and heavier, if that makes sense?  Folks in general don't seem to take their own health and safety as seriously.  There's a fatalism of sorts, that COULD lead to many folks not taking this very seriously if they don't have it and COULD also not taking it very seriously if they do have it, up to and including seeking medical care that could save their lives.  

I spent a couple months working in the parishes around NO. What you say is absolutely spot on. The poverty is very real, as real as the culture and the people. I fear for them. The idea of “fatalism” that persists in impoverished areas is very real and is certainly prevalent on the bayou.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 23:31:49 (permalink)
TEXAS, USA — Texas Governor Greg Abbott expanded an executive order Sunday that requires people traveling into Texas by road from Louisiana to self-quarantine. That order went into effect Monday, March 30th at noon.

https://www.usnews.com/ne...ial-distance-on-trails

Just heard (can't confirm) Florida is/will be doing the same.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3302
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 08:02:56 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
TEXAS, USA — Texas Governor Greg Abbott expanded an executive order Sunday that requires people traveling into Texas by road from Louisiana to self-quarantine. That order went into effect Monday, March 30th at noon.

https://www.usnews.com/ne...ial-distance-on-trails

Just heard (can't confirm) Florida is/will be doing the same.

Yes, I have heard of it first hand from the TX msg boards I am on.  Several guys had trouble getting home after 3 week hitches offshore on the drilling ships/platforms.  A travel letter on company letterhead is HIGHLY recommended. 

Saw on the news this morning WV is doing the same for travelers from certain states and countries and they will need to quarantine for 14 days when arriving in the state. 

I guess a bit of good news, the Brighton Rehab center in I think Beaver/maybe Butler Co., has a large outbreak in their patients.  Their head doctor was on KDKA news this AM saying that those infected were given a 3 drug regimen (didn't say what drugs but I think we can surmise which ones) and said the infected were showing a marked improvement when he just completed his rounds at the time of the report.  He was talking to KDKA via phone.  Haven't found the article online yet or I would have included a link.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 08:50:13 (permalink)
Positive news likely not available untill the dooms day journalist have a circle jerk chatroom meet & discuss to counter and print their BS.

Thanks for the info Eyes. We movin into Ohio early this afternoon.

Could be interesting.

News at..... if we and when we get there.

Stay well everyone.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3302
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 10:56:31 (permalink)
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1143
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 11:03:46 (permalink)
I pray no one here gets this virus but if it happens it's only a Democrat Hoax, it'll go away right after the elections are over. Now back to Barney,  the purple dinosaur.  Trump should have groped Pelosi  like the others, than we wouldn't be  hav8ng the Battle of the Sexes. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1868
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 12:05:32 (permalink)
Wonder what NY city would be like if its Mayor had got with the program of school closings and social distancing when every one else did instead of sitting on his hands screaming about Trump.
Heard the subway is still open-
Unfortunately NYC is affecting  folks way beyond its own borders now- like where I live- our Gov did hard restrictions real early but we are too close to the city .
Saw a map today of strict restrictions where all participating states were in red--PA looked surrounded as its was still in grey.
Guess some weren't reading the tea leaves the same way others were. 
The lookback in a couple of years will be interesting.

Really cant blame anyone as this all a new kinda experience for everyone and everyone initially had different opinions.
Some cant seem to get with a philosophy of prepare for the worst and hope for the best- they reverse that and its often too little too late for their people.
Seems  the virus is taking advantage of any opportunity  and changing all that.
Ma nature can be a serial killer.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/31 12:10:40
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2002
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 13:12:03 (permalink)
EMitch
A couple of you mentioned Biden. Has anybody seen old Joe? What is his plan for getting America through the pandemic? After all, he is the top contender on the left for POTUS.

I have empathy for the man. It would appear from listening to him that he has cognitive issues. I would hope that someone in his family would take care of him and that he would step back from the public eye and give up on his dream of becoming president.

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2002
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 13:25:05 (permalink)
Walleye jigs
I pray no one here gets this virus but if it happens it's only a Democrat Hoax, it'll go away right after the elections are over. Now back to Barney,  the purple dinosaur.  Trump should have groped Pelosi  like the others, than we wouldn't be  hav8ng the Battle of the Sexes. 

Nothing like perpetuating a lie that wont die. In reference to his calling the virus " a democratic hoax." Go someplace and play the video clip of the part of his speech when he said that. It was taken out of context and meaning of what he was trying to convey was completely misconstrued by the left wing media, and people like you continue to believe it. 

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 13:30:20 (permalink)
bigfoot

I have empathy for the man. It would appear from listening to him that he has cognitive issues. I would hope that someone in his family would take care of him and that he would step back from the public eye and give up on his dream of becoming president.

I'm not sure it's his dream at this point. I'm think he's just being used by the D party as a place keeper till the convention. 
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 14:27:45 (permalink)
Walleye jigs

Can you imagine Joe Biden at the daily briefings he'd be sniffing Dr.Birx's hair and pinching butts .Can u imagine the gaffes he would claim that 150 million are killed by guns this virus is nothing!! He would also say its not nice to call this virus the Luhan virus,he might even repeat that if you like your doctor you can keep him and you will save 2500 dollars. Heaven help us if this senile character is elected
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 15:53:00 (permalink)
bigfoot
Nothing like perpetuating a lie that wont die. In reference to his calling the virus " a democratic hoax." Go someplace and play the video clip of the part of his speech when he said that. It was taken out of context and meaning of what he was trying to convey was completely misconstrued by the left wing media, and people like you continue to believe it. 

What a bunch of BS !  He called it a hoax plain and simple ...just like everything else he said about the virus .....quit with the old repeated saying " this is what he really meant "  were not gullible like others  !

Biden pinching butts ....hmmmm seems trump likes squeezing ****es on video tape and banging porn stars !  I guess Biden would fit in ....don't know that he'd shell out that much cash .   
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 16:17:06 (permalink)
If you want to trust Snopes on this, here you go. Some like to pick and choose on want, and when they trust sources.

https://www.snopes.com/fa...onavirus-rally-remark/

here's another.

https://www.politifact.co...rumps-words-coronavir/
post edited by JM2 - 2020/03/31 16:48:06
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4466
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 16:23:25 (permalink)
2015 NYC disaster (terrorist attack/pandemic/natural disaster) audit showed a readiness level shortage of 11,000 ventilators. Number purchased by NYC from 2015 to 2020 = zero.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 16:49:41 (permalink)
Did Trump call the "Coronavirus" a hoax or did Trump say "the democrats are using the Coronavirus as a hoax?

Is your glass half full or is your glass half empty?

Trump with the porn star... and "Uncle Joe" playing grab azz. Isn't it true, Trump used his "own" money nor was he a public official using a high political office..... for personal gain?

JM I agree with your thinking "Uncle Joe" is being used as a diversion while Pelosi & Schumer wait for the right time to make their move.

The person I find the most disgusting is Jill Biden. Such a shame how she continues propping up "Uncle Joe".

MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 17:05:53 (permalink)
r3g3
Wonder what NY city would be like if its Mayor had got with the program of school closings and social distancing when every one else did instead of sitting on his hands screaming about Trump.
Heard the subway is still open-

Here is a pretty harsh piece from The Week comparing the Cuomo/Diblasio response to Jay Inslee's response in Washington. The Week is pretty left-leaning, but the Trump bashing is kept to a minimum in this article. Washington was looking like an outbreak hotspot early in the game, and Inslee tamped that sh1t down. For that he deserves credit.

r3g3
Unfortunately NYC is affecting  folks way beyond its own borders now-

So is New Orleans. Its believed that the virus spread during Mardi Gras, which probably should have been cancelled. 

I have no problem with criticizing Cuomo and Diblasio (if that piece I linked above is accurate, they deserve it), but Louisiana? I dunno, I don't hold them to the same standards. Those state governments simply don't have access to the same resources and information that the governor of New York state and the mayor of New York city does. The same goes for states like Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, etc all of which are probably going to be impacted by the LA outbreak. Those small, poorer states rely upon the federal government and federal agencies like the CDC to provide guidance in situations like this. The CDC and the federal government failed them. I don't know how you can interpret it any other way.
MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 17:38:34 (permalink)
Tues 3/31

Nationwide:
163,539 cases / 2,860 deaths 

The projection was 200,000 cases and 2,000 deaths. Deaths are now going up faster than new infections. So either new infection rates are actually decreasing or testing is not keeping up with infections. If we are starting to see the effect of the lockdown in new infection rates, then a decrease in the rate of deaths will (hopefully) not be far behind. Right now we are on pace for 5,600 deaths by Friday 4/3, and 11,200 by Monday 4/6. 

Locally:
4,843 cases / 63 deaths (PA statewide)
325 cases /  2 deaths (Allegheny Co)

Louisiana:
5,237 cases / 239 deaths (LA statewide)
1,834 cases / 101 deaths (New Orleans city)

Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/31 19:40:02 (permalink)
MyWar

The projection was 200,000 cases and 2,000 deaths.

The initial projection was 250 million plus infections and 2.2 million deaths.

Fauci and Birx are now on 100-200 K deaths and around 80 million infections as of yesterday and today.
post edited by rsquared - 2020/03/31 20:04:17
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 45
Jump to: