Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 48
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7448
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 08:10:06 (permalink)
MyWar
Porktown
I thought he was on a great track the week before last. Then last week was a disaster. Looks like he might be back on track. I hope. But he just can’t seem to help himself.

If Trump did nothing right now except sit back and broadcast an occasional “American Unity” type platitude on Twitter, within two weeks his approval rating would over 60%.

What’s crazy is that despite how objectively poorly he has handled this thing, he is still seeing a popularity bump.

My thought too.  "American Unity" and "Hope" (glass half full), which is completely different than saying that our country needs to start moving again in a couple of weeks.  All data on Monday was pointing to where we are right now.  This is not a surprise to anyone.  

His ratings hit a boost, while he was listening to the Dr,'s.  The surveys taken were prior to his announcement of "back to normal in a couple of weeks".  A few days of that messaging and take a poll again, and his approval rating on the subject would be his typical 45% that approve of everything that he does.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11401
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 08:38:17 (permalink)
Porktown
MyWar
Porktown
I thought he was on a great track the week before last. Then last week was a disaster. Looks like he might be back on track. I hope. But he just can’t seem to help himself.

If Trump did nothing right now except sit back and broadcast an occasional “American Unity” type platitude on Twitter, within two weeks his approval rating would over 60%.

What’s crazy is that despite how objectively poorly he has handled this thing, he is still seeing a popularity bump.

My thought too.  "American Unity" and "Hope" (glass half full), which is completely different than saying that our country needs to start moving again in a couple of weeks.  All data on Monday was pointing to where we are right now.  This is not a surprise to anyone.  

His ratings hit a boost, while he was listening to the Dr,'s.  The surveys taken were prior to his announcement of "back to normal in a couple of weeks".  A few days of that messaging and take a poll again, and his approval rating on the subject would be his typical 45% that approve of everything that he does.

"Glass half full" for those wishing failure upon Trump.

Speaking of "glass half full" for those wishing failure upon Trump, be careful what you wish for, what goes around; comes around.

For those worshipping schadenfreude.... help is available.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1965
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 09:20:56 (permalink)
Hope I am reading wrong but we now have a few thousand deaths in the US and they seem to
be predicting 100,000 with the peak being in a couple of weeks.
That's a veritable bloodbath on the horizon.

Oh yea- ONLY 100,000 IF we keep to strict social distancing- if not-- 200,000.

HOPE I am reading this wrong.

Things like that dumb azz Church in Florida yesterday having a service for "thousands" of people don't help.
Recall the Birthday party for 50 here in Ct a few weeks ago where 50% tested positive later.
Those kinda 'special' people,for whom the rules don't apply, put all of our lives at risk.

post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/30 09:49:36
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 10:56:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fisherlady2 2020/03/30 11:55:07
BeenThereDoneThat.
"Glass half full" for those wishing failure upon Trump.

Speaking of "glass half full" for those wishing failure upon Trump, be careful what you wish for, what goes around; comes around.

For those worshipping schadenfreude.... help is available.

Read what I actually wrote and don't try to decipher it in some sort of wish for failure.  I want all presidents to succeed, especially in a time of crisis.  I wrote that I am glad he is back to what I feel is the correct message.  His "America needs to be working in two weeks" message, was a dangerous precedent, minimizing the current threat.  If I was wanting him to fail, I would suggest for him to keep going in that direction.

Every President makes questionable/bad decisions.  When they do, we should not be praising them for those decisions.  We should be speaking up.  He must have heard someone speaking up, for him to change course.  It was the right decision.  And when making those, we should be responding in such, which I did.

I am also noting the glaring obvious, that he seems to feel the need to be the hero or expert on everything.  The best Presidents in history have always allowed the Generals to do their job or other experts to do their job.  Every President has their strong points, Trump's is not EVERYTHING as he tries to say, but is his economic policies.  He needs to stop undercutting what these medical experts are saying, which he CLEARLY did last week.  Him letting those experts do their job, while he inspires hope in fighting this pandemic and confidence the the economy rebounding (like he did 2 weeks ago), is what he needs to be doing.  

MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 532
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 12:08:00 (permalink)
Porktown
His ratings hit a boost, while he was listening to the Dr,'s. 

I think his ratings got a bump because this country tends to rally around our presidents in time of crisis. GWB’s approval skyrocketed after 9/11 and he rode it to re-election. I think the trump bump (so far) is totally unrelated to his messaging, it’s just a gut reaction by the electorate.

Now whether this bump lasts a week or two (and then sinks), or whether its a wave that lasts months/years which he can ride it to re-election is going to be more dependent on his message and actual job performance from this point forward.

I also genuinely wonder if he is even going to want this job in a couple weeks. The job just got REALLY REALLY HARD. He can’t do any of the fun stuff he was doing before the crisis (rallies, golfing, fundraisers at mar-a-lago, etc..). He is going to be under intense pressure to dig this country out of a huge hole. We could be looking at a six figure body count and prolonged economic recession. He can’t fix that with bluster or by antagonizing the press.
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1147
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 12:08:58 (permalink)
Has anyone other than me noticed that whenever  Trump says anything intelligent he's reading what someone else wrote?
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 820
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 14:25:27 (permalink)
In spite of POTUS's missteps I would still rather have a business man getting the country out of this mess other that a lifelong political hack.You know the ones that promise everything but never deliver on anything.He has kept most of the promises he made that is the ones the swamp will let him.Im trying to imagine what things would be like if Hillary or that senile biden were running the country now,The economy would have been in tank already Before coronavirus.Sometimes I wish he would tone it down but not his style he is still WAY better than the alternatives.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2376
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 14:33:12 (permalink)
Now he says having 100,000 or less dead from the (hoax) virus is doing a good job .....really ? 

Already he tries to pat himself on the back .....again.  

Tremendous, beautiful , unbelievable, greatest ...sound familiar  ? 
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3326
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 14:55:37 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Now he says having 100,000 or less dead from the (hoax) virus is doing a good job .....really ? 

Already he tries to pat himself on the back .....again.  

Tremendous, beautiful , unbelievable, greatest ...sound familiar  ? 

Serious question, what additional steps would YOU have taken as POTUS, without the benefit of hindsight?  Serious, take a stab at it....how would you have handled trying to balance world politics, US politics, economic impacts of your decisions, a population that  can possibly panic at the slightest hint of a problem (TP, ground meat, bottled water, general hoarding of just about everything).....etc, etc.....you then make a bold move to shut down travel to the hub of the virus at the time, China, and are called a xenophobic racist by all directions.  Several weeks later, you do the same when it seems the hotspot for the virus has shifted to Europe, and you are slammed again on all fronts, including your allies in Europe....all the while, you have some governors and mayors here in the states (De Blasio, cough, cough; DeSantis, cough, cough; Latoya Cantrell, cough, cough, the list can go on) that totally dismissed the virus and continued on with their lives and actively encouraged their citizens to carry on and to meet and to go to school and to socialize.....yeah, hindsight is almost always 20/20.  

So, Cap....what would your plan have been?
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 14:59:43 (permalink)
He doesn't have a plan he figures Hilary or biden would have solved all this differently.I'm sure they would be more concerned with climate change,the carbon footprint and which bathroom you can use!!!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 15:14:00 (permalink)
Capt - 
Here is a little head start for your reply.  Couldn't have been handled any better...

2/4 - Senate Intell. Committee receives a briefing on the coronavirus - Trump clearly knows at this time what the Intelligence Committees know. 

2/7 - Burr writes op ed telling Americans to not worry about the coronavirus.

2/13 - Burr sells off $1.7M stock.

2/27 - Burr tells his "Tar Heel Circle" group that this is going to get out of hand and warns that it will be similar to the 1918 pandemic.

2/28 - Trump calls the coronavirus, the "Democrats new hoax" and downplaying it as less than the flu.

JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 627
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 16:24:45 (permalink)
So Trump is now responsible for the illicit activities of a Senator from NC? Was he concluding with the Senator? Were there any Russians or Ukrainians involved? Try again, fairly lame even for you.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 16:36:02 (permalink)
Yes ...I agree with the time factor you posted Pork

First of all I would never joke or lie about any type of problem to America . I would have talked with my surgeon general or some other leading medical staff people as to how serious is this problem we have before calling it a democrat hoax and making it a joke at a political rally !  As a president one doesn't know all ....but they have access to plenty of good information as to guidance all around them . When you say things that aren't true be a real man and admit  you made a mistake ....don't keep lying !

Read the dates  !  Valuable time lost or wasted.

I'm only quoting what Trump said on the dates on TV ....nothing more . If some people are comfortable with these answers as it went along .....so be it .  Me ...I think continued lies for months to all of America is totally unacceptable of any leader . 

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
March 13: "I am declaring a National Emergency."

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 16:39:29 (permalink)
JM2
So Trump is now responsible for the illicit activities of a Senator from NC? Was he concluding with the Senator? Were there any Russians or Ukrainians involved? Try again, fairly lame even for you.

The question posed, was what could have been done without hindsight.

A 10 year old could answer that question with the timeline posted (which was copied and posted from the other thread).  Trump was well aware of the intelligence reports.  I would love to see Trump's tax return to see if he dumped stocks as well, but he is being audited...  

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 16:55:11 (permalink)
So then why did you drag a NC Senator in the the mix? Even a nine year old can see it's irrelevant to the question and conversation.
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 17:09:36 (permalink)
He didn't mention Diane Fienstein did he oops wrong party right.I think what he meant to say about the democratic hoax was were the people doing all the lip flapping Biden, Bernie,Pelosi,Shumer,Cumo,and the whole gang who claim they can do it better but never do!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 17:20:18 (permalink)
JM2
So then why did you drag a NC Senator in the the mix? Even a nine year old can see it's irrelevant to the question and conversation.

We all agree that hindsight is knowing more now than in the past, correct?  

This timeline was posted weeks ago and I personally would have acted even sooner than posting it to tell the public to take things seriously.  Likely very soon after the 2/4 intel report.  I only knew a fraction of what was in this intelligence briefing.  I can only assume that it was rather convincing if it triggered said NC Senator to sell off $1.7M and other Dem Senator family members, as was responded on that thread.  I agree, all should be removed if they used information from those reports to dump stocks.  Honestly, I think anyone in government should be forced to put all holdings in Treasury Notes while they are "serving".

What could he have done better?  Which was basically what Eyesandgills noted.

Trump played it off as nothing.  His base came on this very board and talked his points, about it not being a big deal, blown out of proportion, the flu kills X number of people per year.  Go through this thread and the Trump thread.  It is all written both.  Take note of the date stamps.  

What are experts saying in Italy and NYC right now?  Even the original poster posted a comment from his own friend in Italy stating it.  You can go back and find that very post, stating something in the essence of "we didn't take this seriously soon enough and now we are paying"...

To try to play this off that Trump couldn't have done anything better, is flat out insanity.

I can understand this rationale from many on here.  But Eyesandgills, who I think is one of the most intelligent people on this forum, is rather disappointing.

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 17:25:14 (permalink)
ICE NUT
He didn't mention Diane Fienstein did he oops wrong party right.I think what he meant to say about the democratic hoax was were the people doing all the lip flapping Biden, Bernie,Pelosi,Shumer,Cumo,and the whole gang who claim they can do it better but never do!

What he assumes with his timeline is that no new information was coming out about the virus, over a 3 week period of time.
post edited by JM2 - 2020/03/30 17:31:26
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4516
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 17:58:14 (permalink)
Of course, Gary Johnson would have been right on it during that timeline. If he had enough Doritos to satisfy his munchies and he didn’t have to shut down his supplier. 😀

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 654
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 18:18:00 (permalink)
  Right now a mandate should be issued that medical and first responders are entitled to first priority respirators and highest medical help if infected. Next those that are putting themselves out there everyday like grocery people mail and delivery people. Then and only then people like me who are capable of isolation but  do not comply (I am complying). I do not just isolate for myself, I do not want the guilt of becoming a carrier.
  Everyone should be keeping a diary of all movements outside of their isolation base. Where when and why. Those not taking this serious get last priority to medical care. 
  That would possibly help get it through  those thick skulls, that maybe we should take this serious. As to medical supplies our area is probably not making life death decisions yet, but I fear it is coming. Some serious changes need to happen right now or we are going to be in grave times indeed.
  The one statistic I heard was, that left unchecked up to 2.5 million people in the US could die. Say that figure a few times and it kind of sticks in your throat.
  I do not need a McDonalds coffee.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 19:28:40 (permalink)
DarDys
Of course, Gary Johnson would have been right on it during that timeline. If he had enough Doritos to satisfy his munchies and he didn’t have to shut down his supplier. 😀

See, someone that understands!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 19:43:06 (permalink)
The fact Trump claimed to comprehend the risk posed by the coronavirus and then shipped nearly 18 tons of medical equipment (to China ) that includes much of what our medical staff are now pleading for means either he was lying or is dangerously incompetent. You can pick which one you believe. But the results are the same for our valiant health care workers who are working tirelessly to save lives from Covid-19.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4516
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 19:44:38 (permalink)
Maybe he should have included $150 Billion in cash with it. 😀

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 19:48:53 (permalink)
Maybe two trillion would be better .
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 19:49:31 (permalink)
treesparrow
  Right now a mandate should be issued that medical and first responders are entitled to first priority respirators and highest medical help if infected. Next those that are putting themselves out there everyday like grocery people mail and delivery people. Then and only then people like me who are capable of isolation but  do not comply (I am complying). I do not just isolate for myself, I do not want the guilt of becoming a carrier.
  Everyone should be keeping a diary of all movements outside of their isolation base. Where when and why. Those not taking this serious get last priority to medical care. 
  That would possibly help get it through  those thick skulls, that maybe we should take this serious. As to medical supplies our area is probably not making life death decisions yet, but I fear it is coming. Some serious changes need to happen right now or we are going to be in grave times indeed.
  The one statistic I heard was, that left unchecked up to 2.5 million people in the US could die. Say that figure a few times and it kind of sticks in your throat.
  I do not need a McDonalds coffee.

Well said Tree Sparrow. Especially on the medical, first responders, essential businesses, logistics and anywhere else in the supply chain. Those people are risking their health for us. They definitely deserve priority.

Not sure I’d trust the average person to keep an honest diary. I haven’t left my property (besides my street) since Thursday. When I did drive to go fishing (walking through the woods away from anyone). Before that, was picking up some meat that a friend ordered in bulk last Monday to keep people from having to go to the grocery store. I haven’t left the house for anything remotely social since prior to schools closing. I would have been just fine doing earlier. I think most get it. Just need a clear message to do so.

The weeks of “this is overreacting” is responsible for tens of thousands more deaths, if those 100K-200K figures are correct. Think about that when you go back and read who was saying what a few weeks ago. And where/who they got that messaging from. Hopefully I am wrong about the tens of thousands figure. But I am not wrong about the responsibility.
MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 19:53:11 (permalink)
Monday 3/30

I started posting the nationwide numbers last Tuesday so I'm curious to see how close my projections will turn out to be.

Nationwide:
140,904 cases / 2,405 deaths

Locally:
4,087 cases / 48 deaths (PA statewide)
290 cases /  2 deaths (Allegheny Co)

Louisiana:
4,025 cases / 185 deaths (LA statewide)
1,480 cases / 86 deaths (New Orleans city)

The city of New Orleans has a population of about 393,000 while Pittsburgh has a population of about 300,000. The population of the metro area of Pgh is actually much larger (Pgh is 2,360,000; NO is 1,275,00) but I think the cities are close enough in size that there is some useful comparison between the two.

So obviously there is a big difference between total infections in these two cities, but also look at the mortality rate: 

2/290=.7% (Pgh)
86/1480=5.8% (NO)

There is almost an order of magnitude in difference between the two. So either New Orleans has ALOT more than 1,480 infections, or the number of infections is accurate and some other factor is causing the mortality rate in that are to be almost 10x higher. Crazy.
post edited by MyWar - 2020/03/30 19:55:34
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1965
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 20:22:17 (permalink)
Cases  only refer  to those in the Hospital with it and those tested positive.
Some places have put a higher priority on testing than others,
Hard to think mortality rates are comparable with different states having different rules for their residents on social distancing - store closings - groups etc.
Has nothing to do with population unless the tests have been done in  near proportion and the social rules have been the same as well as people living in some kind of similar density IMHO for comparable purposes.
Also has a lot to do with how long the virus has been in your area infecting people-Ny was way ahead in this regard than many other cities.
Soo, different states , or even cities within the same state, with different rules, or comparisons between urban and rural may show more or less infection and mortality rates.
People all over coming up with stats showing different things but then ya realize you  cant compare apples to oranges and expect results that mean anything.
Just too many variables for now- maybe later looking back some sense can be made of it all but right now we just don't have enough real dependable info.
Experiments leading to meaningful results must have the  same conditions or they are unreliable.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/30 20:24:21
MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 20:26:09 (permalink)
Porktown
DarDys

See, someone that understands!

Gary Johnson, or maybe some of other “serious libertarian” like Joe Exotic or Vermin Supreme?
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 20:31:15 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
The fact Trump claimed to comprehend the risk posed by the coronavirus and then shipped nearly 18 tons of medical equipment (to China ) that includes much of what our medical staff are now pleading for means either he was lying or is dangerously incompetent. You can pick which one you believe. But the results are the same for our valiant health care workers who are working tirelessly to save lives from Covid-19.

Confusing thought. So sending medical supplies to China to help China contain the virus at its source, early on, is a bad thing? Another ****ed if you do, and ****ed if you don't type of criticism. 
EMitch
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 652
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/30 20:34:53 (permalink)
A couple of you mentioned Biden. Has anybody seen old Joe? What is his plan for getting America through the pandemic? After all, he is the top contender on the left for POTUS.

For Liberals, whenever reality conflicts with ideology, it is reality that must change.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 48
Jump to: