Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 45
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11094
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/26 21:40:36 (permalink)
MyWar
Also, here is an excellent article on Medium that is  totally non-political and very informative. It does a pretty good job of translating the wonky side of epidemiology into layman's terms, and it offers what is probably a pretty accurate glimpse into the way in which public health officials are evaluating the current situation. Its about a week old so some of the data is not current. 

See there, I knew if you kept looking you'd find a web sight you could understand.

Is it one of the newer visual aid "teach the kids with color by number" web sights?

I remember back in the fifties, kids could apply a film of plastic over their TV screens then follow along, using their own markers.

I suppose with erasable markers today, kids just follow along on all y'all computer screens?

Nice y'all found something y'all can understand.... y'all.

Crappie_Slayer please post one of the following (BG-Bust a Gut) 😆 😅 😂 viewer advisories, the next time.

Appreciate it. 😝

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/26 22:11:28 (permalink)
Here's some interesting reading material.

What are the leading causes of death in the US?
Medically reviewed by Vincent J. Tavella, DVM, MPH on July 4, 2019 — Written by Hannah Nichols
Heart disease
Cancer
Unintentional injuries
Chronic lower respiratory disease
Stroke and cerebrovascular diseases
Alzheimer's disease
Diabetes
Influenza and pneumonia
Kidney disease
Suicide
Around 74% of all deaths in the United States occur as a result of 10 causes. Over the past 5 years, the main causes of death in the U.S. have remained fairly consistent.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 2,813,503 registered deaths in the United States in 2017.

The age-adjusted death rate, which accounts for the aging population, is 731.9 deaths per 100,000 people in the U.S. This is an increase of 0.4% over 2016’s death rate.

However, the CDC advise that using age-adjusted rates is inaccurate for ranking causes of death.

All figures and percentages provided here come from the most recent data from the CDC, collected in 2017.

In this article, we expand on each of the leading causes of death and provide links to more detailed information on each condition. We also rank the causes according to the number of deaths per condition and their percentage share of the overall registered death count in the U.S.

1. Heart disease
Many of the top 10 causes of death are preventable through lifestyle changes and regular checkups.
Deaths in 2017: 647,457
Percentage of total deaths: 23.5%
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. This is the case in the U.S. and worldwide. More than half of all people who die due to heart disease are men.

Medical professionals use the term heart disease to describe several conditions. Many of these conditions relate to the buildup of plaque in the walls of the arteries.

As the plaque develops, the arteries narrow. This makes it difficult for blood to flow around the body and increases the risk of heart attack or stroke. It can also give rise to angina, arrythmias, and heart failure.

To reduce the risk of dying from heart disease, a person can protect their heart health by adopting a healthful diet and getting regular exercise.

Being able to recognize the symptoms of a heart attack can also help people get prompt medical treatment and potentially save their lives.

In this article, learn more about the symptoms of heart disease and how to prevent it.

2. Cancer
Deaths in 2017: 599,108
Percentage of total deaths: 21.3%
Cancer occurs when cells do not die at the normal point in their life cycle. If a person’s body cannot control the spread of these cells, they can interfere with essential, life-sustaining systems and possibly lead to death.

Everyone has some degree of risk, but for most cancers, the risk will increase with age. Some people have a higher or lower risk due to differences in exposure to carcinogens, such as from smoking or exposure to chemical pollutants. Genetic factors also play a strong role in cancer’s development.

Race and sex also play a role in a person’s risk of developing cancer, depending on the type. That said, lung cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer in both men and women.

However, researchers are always taking steps to advance cancer treatment. In fact, the death rate from all cancers in the U.S. has dropped by 26% since 1991.

Estimated cancer-related deaths for 2019
The American Cancer Society estimate how many people will die from certain types of cancer in 2019.

According to them, the leading causes of death from cancer for males will be:

Lung and bronchus cancer: 76,650 deaths
Prostate cancer: 31,620 deaths
Colorectal cancer: 27,640 deaths
The leading causes of death from cancer for females will be:

Lung and bronchus cancer: 66,020 deaths
Breast cancer: 41,760 deaths
Colorectal cancer: 23,380 deaths

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/26 22:26:35 (permalink)
🤔 Michigan Governor threatening Doctors and Pharmacists with administrative action.........

"....if you live in Michigan, and you or a loved one is infected with this potentially lethal disease, you’re out of luck.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs literally threatened all doctors and pharmacists in the state who prescribe or dispense hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19."

https://www.detroitnews.c...ors-office/2922272001/
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/26 22:33:23

MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 428
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/26 23:05:04 (permalink)
r3g3
Congrats War- 4 reasonable conversational informative decent posts in a row.
No joke- I meant it.

Sure, I appreciate that. And we are all in this together, aren't we? The corona virus doesn't care whether somebody votes republican or democrat. This should be a non-partisan issue.

Having all of the facts tends to make people less fearful and anxious because they can better understand what is happening around them. I also believe that people make better decisions when they are given facts and reliable information. 
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1861
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/26 23:40:45 (permalink)
I'm feeling a whole lot better. Still not 100%, but what a doozy.The wife tested negative for Covid 19.....Yayyy. From what I read, a person who shows symptoms can be virus free after about 10 days? My wife got tested on day 13. I also want to say. In my 47 years ( 44 that I can remember ) , I've never had a cold quite like this one.

BH
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 08:04:50 (permalink)
Keep an eye out for the name Neil Ferguson, of the Imperial College of the UK. His models are the ones adopted by the WHO and the ones that have driven the media narrative on this for 2 weeks.

Yesterday there was a seismic shift in his modeling and he dialed back his infection and mortality estimates by 90% for the UK and US.

Interesting to see all the spin being added to his numbers, and the gaslighting being done.

Wasn’t in any major US news sources that I could find yesterday. Huh, wonder why that is?
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4466
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 08:43:46 (permalink)
Also not seen in (much) US media was the test results on the testing kits used in China (and maybe other countries) which shows the tests were incorrect, in both directions, at an 80% rate.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1982
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 08:59:27 (permalink)
MyWar
Porktown
As long as most highly populated areas are on partial lockdown, so is our economy.

You know what’s coming next? Trump is gonna start ratcheting up the rhetoric to turn his red rural base against the blue population centers. Blaming the “dirty filthy” cities for not being able to take care of sick people and holding the economy back. You watch. He’s gonna blame the democrats in the cities where the outbreaks are concentrated.

Now, are you drawing a paycheck directly from George Soros, or do you work for one of the dbag left wing terrorist intermediary groups that he funds?  This country allows you to say almost anything, but you will likely get charged with something if you yell fire in a crowded theater, and there is also a charge for inciting to riot.

This is already out there, and is going to move like a wave through all the areas, with density being the main control, until there is less virus out there to get spread around.  People over 60 are going to have to hunker down pretty much for the rest of our days, and live with the perpetually soapy hands and 6 feet of distance.  The trucks need to be rolling and the seeds need to go in the ground soon.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 09:06:55 (permalink)
MyWar

Sure, I appreciate that. And we are all in this together, aren't we? The corona virus doesn't care whether somebody votes republican or democrat. This should be a non-partisan issue.

Having all of the facts tends to make people less fearful and anxious because they can better understand what is happening around them. I also believe that people make better decisions when they are given facts and reliable information. 

MyLiar you saying "having all the facts" like "fish tank cleaner" you gleaned and promoted from your bogus internet sources.

You saying non-Partisan as in bogus anti-republican rhetoric y'all gleaned and spewed from all y'all internet sources.

Reliable sources like those who now "reprint facts" produced months ago by others??? A/K/A; the "Nancy Pelosi" syndrome; taking credit for work accomplished by others?

So MyLiar... do tell, what "facts" you privy too, that hasn't been available for weeks??

Appears to me MyLiar, you have mistaken "facts" for "sources". Did you mean to say......

"Where" y'all get your "source" tends to make people less fearful and anxious because they can better understand what is happening around them. I also believe that people make better decisions when they are given facts and reliable information. 

Because MyLiar your facts are nothing more than "copycat", made public weeks ago.

Fact is MyLiar, your sole purpose on this forum is to troll by lieing (proven) and promoting bogus internet squaler.

From your most recent post, I sense y'all are in CYA mode, your superiority complex precedes you.

MyLiar, you should seek professional help... immediately.

su·pe·ri·or·i·ty com·plex
noun
an attitude of superiority which conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/27 09:17:38

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 09:24:09 (permalink)
BloodyHand
I'm feeling a whole lot better. Still not 100%, but what a doozy.The wife tested negative for Covid 19.....Yayyy. From what I read, a person who shows symptoms can be virus free after about 10 days? My wife got tested on day 13. I also want to say. In my 47 years ( 44 that I can remember ) , I've never had a cold quite like this one.

BH

Good news BH, nice to hear things are on the mend.

Sucks you are not 100% yet. Did you get tested for the virus?

MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 09:24:36 (permalink)
rsquared
Yesterday there was a seismic shift in his modeling and he dialed back his infection and mortality estimates by 90% for the UK and US.

Interesting to see all the spin being added to his numbers, and the gaslighting being done.

Wasn’t in any major US news sources that I could find yesterday. Huh, wonder why that is?

It wasn’t in any major us news sources because its totally and completely incorrect. Where did you hear this? Alex Jones?

Ferguson himself has even had to clarify this on Twitter because people are trying to distort his models.

The projections of hundreds of thousands dead were if the U.K. did nothing. The current projection of much lower casualties is consistent with a suppression strategy, which is exactly what his models predicted all along.

I can’t link on mobile now but I can link later.

This is just WRONG WRONG WRONG and is exactly the kind of bull5hit narrative that is being pushed by irresponsible people who for some reason apparently want a lot of people to die.
MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 09:28:24 (permalink)
Even National Review has an article up saying this is total BS. Cmon people.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1868
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 09:46:20 (permalink)
Iranians are dropping like flies because they heard hand sanitizer is effective against 19-- so they are drinking it--
methanol poisoning is killing them.

Gotta think of this kinda thing when comparing the US to other countries.
Some places are so very far from the norms we enjoy that their actions and development are almost beyond our understanding.
Right up there with drinking cow pee.

Correct again War-that is BS projecting - even got debunked by the DR in the Daily briefing yesterday.

post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/27 09:50:57
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3302
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 09:48:49 (permalink)
Here you go mywar.....

Dueling university studies.....

https://news.yahoo.com/ox...-people-221100162.html
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 09:52:03 (permalink)
MyWar
Even National Review has an article up saying this is total BS. Cmon people.

Wow.... you made "The National Review", MyLiar???
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/27 10:12:37

MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 10:03:06 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Here you go mywar.....

Dueling university studies.....

https://news.yahoo.com/ox...-people-221100162.html

Did you actually read the article?

Do you want to gamble with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people because they *might* be immune? Which by the way we have no way to test for right now.

The article even states that the researcher that conducted the study SUPPORTS shutting down the U.K. despite their own findings. Do you know why? Because they understand that the research is totally theoretical and could be totally wrong and if that’s the case then hundreds of thousands of people die.
MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 10:07:04 (permalink)
Look at the number of people dying from this. It increases exponentially in any community where it establishes a foothold, and it does so until drastic suppression measures are put in place. That is what Ferguson based his projections on.

Take 500 and double it every three days. You get to 500,000 in about a month.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 10:11:14 (permalink)
🤗Don't all y'all love the way MyLiar leads off with a question followed by the answer he wishes you to know??

Indoctrination at it's finest.

If your "facts" are not by his "bogus sources" your "facts" are false. End of story.

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7403
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 11:13:19 (permalink)
I have been trying to find the clinical trial updates, but not really finding anything, except for NYC started on Tuesday.  There are others around the world already under way, so hopefully some results soon.  Here is a good source for scientific data to eliminate the political spin.  Article is summarizing the trials that the WHO feels the most encouraging.  There are dozens of others going on too, so definitely something to be hopeful of.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6485/1412

Not sure if this virus is circulating as much as many may think?  At least locally.  I was convinced that it was circulating in SWPA much more than this testing data seems to indicate.  Some of the local drive thru testing data below.  Saying only 7% tested were positive.  Not saying other areas are completely different, or that the virus is gone in some of these people, or that these tests are 100% accurate...  Just not really sure what to take from these results?  I am pretty sure that they screened everyone first.  So, many that were looking to be tested and could have been positive, didn't fit criteria.  Glad that testing has ramped up, but unfortunately shows that this area is just scratching the surface and couldn't imagine "back to normal" in a couple of weeks here.  Hopefully in the next few weeks, there is more and more testing available for anyone showing any signs, regardless of vulnerability.  Get them quarantined so they can't infect others, to pass along to those vulnerable. 

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/03/27/central-outreach-drive-thru-testing-results/ 

Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 11:38:09 (permalink)
Dr. Fauci and a few colleagues wrote an editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine yesterday which provides some very cautious optimism:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Novice Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 11:54:13 (permalink)
Porktown

Not sure if this virus is circulating as much as many may think?  At least locally.  I was convinced that it was circulating in SWPA much more than this testing data seems to indicate.  Some of the local drive thru testing data below.  Saying only 7% tested were positive.  Not saying other areas are completely different, or that the virus is gone in some of these people, or that these tests are 100% accurate...  Just not really sure what to take from these results?  I am pretty sure that they screened everyone first.  So, many that were looking to be tested and could have been positive, didn't fit criteria.  Glad that testing has ramped up, but unfortunately shows that this area is just scratching the surface and couldn't imagine "back to normal" in a couple of weeks here.  Hopefully in the next few weeks, there is more and more testing available for anyone showing any signs, regardless of vulnerability.  Get them quarantined so they can't infect others, to pass along to those vulnerable. 

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/03/27/central-outreach-drive-thru-testing-results/ 

Another reason why the rapid development and deployment of reliable serum tests could really help us out in understanding what the beginning of a return to normalcy might look like down the road.  Even though the focus has rightly been developing reliable tests for active cases up until this point.  

I've been reading some conjecture - and that's all it is at this point, admittedly - on POSSIBLE reasons why this has hit Europe so much harder than it has in Asia, aside from China.  In just one measure of how this disease has hit, looking at deaths per million in different countries:

Italy and Spain over a hundred deaths per million population. The Netherlands, France, Belgium and Switzerland in the 20's per million population.  All have pretty severe lockdown policies, generally tighter than most states in the US.  

At the opposite end are South Korea (3 deaths per million population) and Taiwan, Japan and Singapore with less than 1 death per million.  Social distancing with the focus on the elderly and putting symptomatic in quarantine, with precautions for younger parts of the population in schools and work but not general lockdowns.  

Conjecture, and again that's all this is, is that because the young are generally more asymptomatic to very mildly symptomatic, that putting them in lockdown with more susceptible segments of the population (parents, grandparents, etc) has contributed to a higher transmission rate, whereas in the Asian countries, very wide scale testing and tracing (which the US is woefully behind on in comparison), keeping the elderly in isolation while allowing younger people to go about their normal routines has prevented greater transmission rates because there's not constant, constrained exposure.  
post edited by rsquared - 2020/03/27 12:19:54
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4466
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 11:55:00 (permalink)
Although it is supposed to have been stripped out of the spending bill (could make its way back in before all is said and done), there was a stipulation that if a small business took the low interest loan, they had to unionize.

Still in the bill are $500 million for museums and $300 million for PBS.
post edited by DarDys - 2020/03/27 12:19:12

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
MyWar
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 11:58:30 (permalink)
Porktown
Some of the local drive thru testing data below.  Saying only 7% tested were positive. 

It has been suggested that the reason the drive thru and secondary testing sites are seeing lower percentages of positives is that they are spillover cases which a primary testing facility would not have tested initially because they didn’t meet the criteria. So its basically the test results of a group of people who were less likely to have the virus in the first place.

As testing becomes more widely available I think we will probably see both an increase in overall positives, as well as a decrease in the percentage. Might seem paradoxical at first, but actually makes sense if you think about it.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 12:52:07 (permalink)
Schadenfreude.... a complex emotion, where rather than feeling sympathy towards someone's misfortune, schadenfreude evokes joyful feelings that take pleasure from watching someone fail.

MyLiar has spoken... end of story.

MyWar
Porktown
Some of the local drive thru testing data below.  Saying only 7% tested were positive. 

It has been suggested that the reason the drive thru and secondary testing sites are seeing lower percentages of positives is that they are spillover cases which a primary testing facility would not have tested initially because they didn’t meet the criteria. So its basically the test results of a group of people who were less likely to have the virus in the first place.

As testing becomes more widely available I think we will probably see both an increase in overall positives, as well as a decrease in the percentage. Might seem paradoxical at first, but actually makes sense if you think about it.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 13:28:53 (permalink)
MyWar
Porktown

That does make sense.  I know this is just the results from that testing center with the commercial that looks like it was made by Commercial Kings.  I wonder what the percentage from UPMC & ANH are?

Even so, I was thinking it would be even more prevalent.  Which I am sure would be, if we weren't restricted as much as we are.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3302
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 14:10:05 (permalink)
Pork, you can find the negative test result numbers in PA in some articles.  I haven't seen a recent one reported lately though.

Found this site, u can check each state:

https://www.theatlantic.c...-state-america/608413/
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3055
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 14:17:03 (permalink)
Butler County has been added to the "Stay at Home" list by Wolf
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 14:24:52 (permalink)
Tell Tommy to hold off on shutting down the highways and byways until (at least) next weekend.

🤗Please.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 14:34:21 (permalink)
rsquared
At the opposite end are South Korea (3 deaths per million population) and Taiwan, Japan and Singapore with less than 1 death per million.  Social distancing with the focus on the elderly and putting symptomatic in quarantine, with precautions for younger parts of the population in schools and work but not general lockdowns.  

Conjecture, and again that's all this is, is that because the young are generally more asymptomatic to very mildly symptomatic, that putting them in lockdown with more susceptible segments of the population (parents, grandparents, etc) has contributed to a higher transmission rate, whereas in the Asian countries, very wide scale testing and tracing (which the US is woefully behind on in comparison), keeping the elderly in isolation while allowing younger people to go about their normal routines has prevented greater transmission rates because there's not constant, constrained exposure.  

As you noted with the very wide scale testing and meticulous tracing (EARLY), and us being woefully behind, does not give us the opportunity to follow those Asian countries' lead at this point in our situation.  We can't do the tracing that they did to minimize the spread any longer, since we don't know who gave to who any longer or who is a carrier and not showing symptoms.  The only people in this country getting tested not showing symptoms are famous people... 

I think it was an article that you posted, about 50K people that flew from Wuhan to the USA, between when their outbreak started until our ban on travel from there.  Chances are, we had community spread starting, before we even had those repatriated cases on the military bases.  I would bet Seattle had some people in their hospitals treated for pneumonia, that had this, but never tested.  Although at this point would be virtually impossible to determine where it really started in this country.  As a general public, I think most figured, "we hear about these crazy diseases hitting those less developed countries all of the time, stuff like that will never take hold here".  I think many are still thinking that way, but substituting "less developed countries" with "big cities"...  If you have any sort of places of public gathering (schools, restaurants, Churches, other) and any sort of connection to the "outside world" of that community, then it can and most likely will be there.  It is just being slowed at this point.  

If those countries didn't test early or traced early, they would be where we are.  We are basically step 3 of attempting to control.  With what they did as step 1.  We unfortunately didn't do or couldn't do that here.  Those countries are a bit smaller, especially Singapore, and able to trace a lot easier.  Singapore recently closed down all restaurants and bars, due to further outbreaks, which would be step 2.  If they can't keep up with the testing/tracing, they will be were we are.  I am assuming most of those countries restricted travel sooner than we did, or just not the connections with Wuhan as certain parts of our country have?  I am also betting that most of those countries will eventually have more cases.  I think they are just showing that "flattened curve" model, where Italy/Spain/NYC are showing the spiked curve.  I personally don't want to see that spiked curve in WPA, so completely fine with half of things shut down locally. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/27 14:54:46 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Tell Tommy to hold off on shutting down the highways and byways until (at least) next weekend.

🤗Please.

A Schneider tanker had I79 South shutdown yesterday on my way back from Arthur.  The entire truck portion was melted down to metal.  I have an all new set of faith in how they construct the tanker portion.  Who knows what it was carrying?  Luckily that thing didn't explode.

This was not it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPthZO0fCLg
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 45
Jump to: