Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..116117118119 > Showing page 117 of 119
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2876
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/12 09:11:32 (permalink)
- Doubt the covid miss  because of all the testing and attention to it but it wouldnt be the first time a flu strain slipped in after the shots were out
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2142
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/12 19:31:04 (permalink)
Hope all effected are starting to feel better soon, be it a bad flu, rougher than normal cold or the latest strain of covid doesn't really matter, it is still miserable to go through. 
I have been doing my best to avoid it, not going anywhere lately other than PT, stayed home for the holidays to avoid exposures. I really hope to not find out how the covid or flu plays with all of the immunosuppresants I am on. 
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 462
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/12 19:44:35 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Did you try to test with a throat swab instead of a nasal swab?  Did you get any PCR tests done?  
Hope you guys start feeling better.   Lingering for me with the head cold crap and cough.  Hoping that goes away soon.  Son is doing better today, daughter is fine and in school....wife starting to feel a little rough again.

Young kids sick, when they can't tell you what is wrong or ailing them, is tough.  Just seeing my teenage son wrapped up in 5 blankets with a 102 temp, not wanting to move, eat or drink brought back those memories of him in an ambulance heading to childrens at 6 mos old, to get treated for a bad resp. infection.  Had to suction his nasal passages, throat and lungs....

Personally, I'd rather taste the gas than a ball full of someone else's snot....  We always used the pressure ball thing that just created suction with your thumb.....still gross though....but if it helps.

r3g3, heard this year's flu shot is not matching up well with the strains circulating in our hemisphere. 

Always a best guess each year and some years they miss it.  

Also, for those with a bad cough, a teaspoon of raw honey really helps tame the cough for awhile.  

So we didn't do a throat swab. Reason being, until yesterday my wife didn't really show symptoms, but it's looking like a clear cut cold. Super runny nose, tired, not completely ruined, but just enough to ruin your day or weekend. I got the same as hers, along with our son. 

The snot sucker has a decent filter. Don't get me wrong, it's completely disgusting no doubt. But at 4 am, when they can't breath - you'll do just about anything to help them out. 
Here's a link if you're curious what they look like - https://www.amazon.com/Nasal-Aspirator-NoseFrida-Snotsucker-Fridababy/dp/B00171WXII/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3VK2V0EFBTNUU&keywords=snot+sucker&qid=1642034369&sprefix=snot+sucker%2Caps%2C55&sr=8-5

I have that little ball thing you talked about too, doesn't work nearly as well. Apparently, they're really difficult to clean so it's now recommended to only use a few times, or not at all. 

102 Temp is brutal. Hope the kiddo feels better soon.
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2969
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 07:51:45 (permalink)
Just to stay on topic here, I'm going to suggest another thread containing all "Snot Sucker Discussion", ya know, a place for personal experience, stories, preferences, model features, links to hot deals and customization websites etc...

In all seriousness, I know the trauma that can come with childhood illness and I hope that all you gents have children that are well!!

I'll never forget going to the beach with our friends and our new 8 month old son.  We were the first in our crew with kids so it was new to everyone.  We put him down for the night and everyone was back at the pool drinking beer.  I told my wife that I'd go check on him and my buddy said he'd come with me.  We snuck into the room and crept over to the pack n play and he was sleeping soundly.  When we got out of the room my buddy looked at me and said, "dude, that was crazy...you were checking to see if he was breathing"  I was like, "yep, that's what ya do"....****....when you're in charge of a life, it's a big deal.  

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8523
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 08:07:25 (permalink)
LDD
"dude, that was crazy...you were checking to see if he was breathing"  I was like, "yep, that's what ya do"....****....when you're in charge of a life, it's a big deal.  

I still do that when checking on my 15 year old...
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2854
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 08:49:00 (permalink)
Ditto Tim. Once you become a parent, that's the only job you have.... Worrying about your kids. It doesn't get easier or change. Ours are 17, 16 and 13 .
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 08:57:34 (permalink)
Porktown
LDD
"dude, that was crazy...you were checking to see if he was breathing"  I was like, "yep, that's what ya do"....****....when you're in charge of a life, it's a big deal.  

I still do that when checking on my 15 year old...

How bout it...
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 09:40:11 (permalink)
Wife is a retired RN she got an Email last night asking her and many other retirees to come back to work due to manpower issues related to Covid.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8523
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 10:20:34 (permalink)
r3g3
Wife is a retired RN she got an Email last night asking her and many other retirees to come back to work due to manpower issues related to Covid.

RN's, Dr's, EMT's and others in that industry followed that path, since they have a gift in helping others.  Many of them have a really hard time to say no to those in need.  Asking a group like that that are in the high risk category for this disease is irresponsible, IMO.  I understand the need to help in the staffing issues, but I would think those that are asking also understand that psychological aspect and would hope understand that most that are of retirement age are at a higher risk.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 11:34:50 (permalink)
Agree on the irresponsible 
With me having a spine surgery in a few weeks this was a non starter despite the age thing.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1299
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 11:50:40 (permalink)
r3g3

More evidence of the real world impact of a “let it roll” strategy. Even if omicron is a milder strain, it is still placing quite a burden on our healthcare system.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1967
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 18:37:26 (permalink)
MyWar
r3g3

More evidence of the real world impact of a “let it roll” strategy. Even if omicron is a milder strain, it is still placing quite a burden on our healthcare system.

I think mere increase of population and the lack of compassionate people has a lot to do with it.

BH
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/13 22:35:02 (permalink)
I think that's a good point on it being irresponsible. Curious though, did they offer a substantial amount compensation wise?
I wonder what the offers are looking like out there in these situations?

My neighbors mom is a nurse, last year mentioned her mom was offered 2x her salary that she had in 2018 to come back. She declined. 
post edited by DeadGator401 - 2022/01/14 00:05:14
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/14 07:45:51 (permalink)
A lot of hospitals are relying on travel nursing contracts which are put together by a third party.  Hourly rates for travel nurse contracts can often times be $40- $60 an hour.  
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1483
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/14 08:16:52 (permalink)
Current shortages in the healthcare field are due to a lot more than the current surge, it’s a complex issue just like everything else in the world.

If a hospital is offering 40-60 an hour for travelers in this current shortage. They’re not going to get many. My son an RN and his better half an Intensive Care RN are both travel nurses and his rate averages $80-90 and her’s is over 100 plus he gets a per diem every week on top of it.  He has said though it all depends where you want to go. More urban more money.

Like any other businesses if the local hospitals would pay and treat their current staff better they wouldn’t have to hire travelers as much or try and entice retirees back into the fire.

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 398
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/14 08:18:39 (permalink)
My 20 year old daughter is a nurse at a big corporate hospital in Pittsburgh. Works in an ICU step down unit which was converted to a Covid unit two weeks ago.

Prior to the change she made 3x salary for picking up extra shifts because they were short staffed. Since the changeover, it’s 4x and her regular salary went up by about 20%.

She makes more on one extra shift than either my wife or I make in a week individually.

She has had travel offers to work three 12 hour shifts in Covid units and make $10,000 - $13,000 per WEEK.

Funny though, all these hospitals fired unvaxxed staff but now have to have vaxxed and Covid + work even while symptomatic. Wild stuff, but I’m sure that has nothing to do with compounding the staffing issues that have been around for years.
post edited by snagr - 2022/01/14 08:21:27
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/14 11:01:34 (permalink)
fishin coyote
Current shortages in the healthcare field are due to a lot more than the current surge, it’s a complex issue just like everything else in the world.

If a hospital is offering 40-60 an hour for travelers in this current shortage. They’re not going to get many. My son an RN and his better half an Intensive Care RN are both travel nurses and his rate averages $80-90 and her’s is over 100 plus he gets a per diem every week on top of it.  He has said though it all depends where you want to go. More urban more money.

Like any other businesses if the local hospitals would pay and treat their current staff better they wouldn’t have to hire travelers as much or try and entice retirees back into the fire.

Wow...the contract I was trying to get my wife to pick up (rural) was in the 40-60 range.  That is some big money.  
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/14 13:59:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2022/01/14 14:38:06
snagr

Funny though, all these hospitals fired unvaxxed staff but now have to have vaxxed and Covid + work even while symptomatic. Wild stuff, but I’m sure that has nothing to do with compounding the staffing issues that have been around for years.

The staff is treating covid patients. How does it make any sense to have individuals who have no protection against covid, treating people with covid?

If they aren’t vaccinated, they are more likely to (1) get sick, or (2) get sicker and develop a serious illness which will only put them in a hospital bed as a covid patient, rather than being on the other side of the equation as a healthcare worker. It makes absolutely no sense to have unvaccinated people treating covid patients.

As far as healthcare workers being instructed to continue to work and treat people when they are covid+ and symptomatic, do you have a source for that?
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2448
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/14 20:34:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fishin coyote 2022/01/14 22:35:44
MyWar

The staff is treating covid patients. How does it make any sense to have individuals who have no protection against covid, treating people with covid?

since we're understaffed, it would make as much sense as the first year when NONE were "protected"

is there data to clearly demonstrate health care workers (HCW) fall-out/sick/off work was/is substantially different pre-vax/post-vax?
I couldn't find anything to indicate that...maybe you can

also given that the majority of HCW fall into the minimal risk category of serious complication/ hospitalization, does it make sense to NOT utilize them if/when they make the choice to care for sick?

I don't understand the kneejerk reaction against 

..L.T.A.

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/14 23:55:31 (permalink)
That's great news. I'm glad the numbers are up. My sister was a traveling nurse a decade ago and had some 55+ per hour shifts at Sharon as a travel nurse. 

genieman77
MyWar

since we're understaffed, it would make as much sense as the first year when NONE were "protected"

is there data to clearly demonstrate health care workers (HCW) fall-out/sick/off work was/is substantially different pre-vax/post-vax?
I couldn't find anything to indicate that...maybe you can

also given that the majority of HCW fall into the minimal risk category of serious complication/ hospitalization, does it make sense to NOT utilize them if/when they make the choice to care for sick?

I don't understand the kneejerk reaction against 

..L.T.A.

It'd be probably really difficult to get a number for this. Something like 1/5 Healthcare workers quit in 2020 right? How would it even be quantified?

thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 05:27:33 (permalink)
2 weeks ago I had headachs turned into a fever cold sweats, lasted about 2 days. Body aches then a annoying cough I couldn't get rid of. Was it a cold flu covid? Idk I didn't get tested I stayed home for a week. Completely ruined my last week of duck season. My gf gets tested every week. Last week she tested positive. Few days later negative. Those tests are 50-75% accurate. She was forced to miss work. I see hospital workers on my fb all the time with issues. One girl tested positive, then negative. Then one nostril was positive and one was negative. All in the same day. As I said 2 years ago if your scared stay in your hole away from everyone. I'll do me unmasked and do the exact same things iv done for the past 31 years iv been alive. If your sick stay home if your scared stay home. If you want to play patient test subject booster 365 do that. There's billions to made keep lining there pockets.

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 09:40:00 (permalink)
genieman77
MyWar

Before the vaccine, healthcare workers in covid wards had to spend hours putting on layers upon layers of PPE which was basically the equivalent of a hazmat suit. Many of those same healthcare workers lived completely seperated from their families for fear of exposing them to covid. They took extreme measures to keep from spreading the virus. The vaccine eliminates the need for much of those additional precautions.

Refusing to get a vaccine *especially* when you work in healthcare is dangerous, irresponsible and stupid. If an individual refuses to take such a basic precaution against spreading a disease then they shouldn’t be working in healthcare.

Their duty is not to simply care for sick people, they also have a duty to prevent the spread of disease.
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 09:41:03 (permalink)
DeadGator401

It'd be probably really difficult to get a number for this.

we have stats based on race, demographics and other sub categories.
 there are numbers out there for HCW, it's just hard to find in one neat graph like so many other stats.

what I did find are reports that "currently" there are record high levels of HCW infections.
CDC also has some data from pre-vax on HCW

also discovered the vast majority of HCW that had serious complications (pre & post vax) had underlying health issues.
with obesity being the #1

DeadGator401Something like 1/5 Healthcare workers quit in 2020 right? 

I don't know how many quit in 2020, Gator.
It wouldn't be surprising 20% quit.
The trouble with nursing staff shortage has been an issue well before c19

I'll suggest the argument against non vax'd staff is rooted somewhere other than common sense.
Maybe I'm just stoopit, but common sense suggests to me Far more people will go without care due to shortage than the tiny number (relatively) of HCW that "might get sick and take beds" 

I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but sure seems way bassakwards thinking to me 

..L.T.A.

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 09:48:13 (permalink)
MyWar

Their duty is not to simply care for sick people, they also have a duty to prevent the spread of disease.

'cept that's bullsheeit and you know it.
all have been spreading it a day or two before the onset of any symptoms.
according to "science" 
and the vast majority of it is spread around family and friends after work vax'd and unvax'd

you're either brainwashed, a zealot or disingenuous af

..L.T.A.
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1090
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 13:07:48 (permalink)
He's both!!
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 13:35:55 (permalink)
rn isnt an easy task-after at least two years of rigorous nursing school there is a very difficult state exam
Many with an additional Associates and a bachelors have had to take their states exam more than once to get certified
its been commonplace for many areas to be understaffed from time to time leaving a 2 year gap to fulfill the needs--if people choose to  enter the program

Kinda like all the talk about hiring cops after the recent purges of manpower- a long wait to get new people certified
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 13:47:28 (permalink)
genieman77
MyWar

'cept that's bullsheeit and you know it.
all have been spreading it a day or two before the onset of any symptoms.
according to "science" 
and the vast majority of it is spread around family and friends after work vax'd and unvax'd

you're either brainwashed, a zealot or disingenuous af

..L.T.A.

How does the fact that you can be contagious without being symptomatic equate to a healthcare worker having no duty to prevent the spread of contagious disease?

Would you also argue that surgeons shouldn’t wash their hands? Or wear surgical gloves? Or sterilize surgical instruments? All of these things are done in order to prevent the spread of disease
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/15 15:26:36 (permalink)
MyWar

How does the fact that you can be contagious without being symptomatic equate to a healthcare worker having no duty to prevent the spread of contagious disease?

who said they didn't?
You brought it up...Presumeably as it relates to HCW infecting sick people? (or taking up hospital beds)
My point was, it doesn't much matter as HCW have strict and routine protocols.
and the is no data to indicate there was more or less going on pre-vax.
Matter of fact, there appears to be MORE HCW sick than ever SINCE the vax.

so it's folly NOT to utilize all HCW that are willing.
It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
when overall, MORE people could be helped otherwise

MyWar

Would you also argue that surgeons shouldn’t wash their hands? Or wear surgical gloves? Or sterilize surgical instruments? All of these things are done in order to prevent the spread of disease

no
and you must be a carrot farmer, right?

..L.T.A.
drawde
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/16 11:55:16 (permalink)
It's funny how treatments that were barred during Trump's administration are now allowed.  Also if you have time look up the paper the CDC used to approve Pfizer's shot.  On page 26 or 27 the RCT showed more people died with the shot than with a placebo.  Makes you go hmmm.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3755
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2022/01/16 12:04:08 (permalink)
Losing my sense of smell kind of stinks now......thinking I may need gators snot sucker too.....lol. So far, this has turned into the annoying relative that has come to stay and doesn't know when to leave.  Overnight and early morning is fine, feeling good, and then once everyone is awake, the annoyances start....

Could be much worse and thankfully it isnt.  Also wondering, with rhinovirus and adenovirus widespread, if they could be opportunistic on many of us and taking advantage of our immune systems and extending the "crud.". We are all testing negative so. .....

Going to take the hottest shower I can stand and try to sweat the sum beotch out....
post edited by eyesandgillz - 2022/01/16 12:05:26
Page: << < ..116117118119 > Showing page 117 of 119
Jump to: