Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..101102103104105.. > >> Showing page 104 of 112
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2836
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/26 12:47:58 (permalink)
Eyes-- yet you choose to get the flu shot--------only lasts less than a year-
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3729
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/26 16:15:49 (permalink)
Mrna not for me or my wife....maybe in a decade or so and there are minimal long term effects.

J&J  more in line with a semi traditional vaccine and the Novavax will be even more so.  I am not patently against the Covid vaccine.....just have no wish to be part of the grand experiment testing a new vaccine technology.  Simple as that......

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2836
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/26 16:36:18 (permalink)
Difference in age I guess- LONG TERM has a very different meaning to those in my group lol
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/26 16:50:21 (permalink)
An unintended form of entertainment has arisen from this - School Board Meetings over children masking. (To be clear, it is sad and pathetic and people are getting physically attacked over this, that part is not funny.)

But the meetings themselves? My goodness are they funny. Seeing full grown adults make such morons of themselves over something like masking. Crying, screaming, berating. Most school boards will give people their 2-3 mins to say their peace and holy moly is it entertaining. Everything from kids not being able to breathe, to religious outcry, to aliens and nazis. 

North Allegheny in Allegheny County has had a hell of a time dealing with it. First the superintendent said masks will be required, then something happened and school board over turned it, then some parents and school board members got a judge to file an injunction and make them required.

Last night, they had a meeting where the school board, (mind you the same ones who voted to NOT have masking be mandatory) had to cancel because a group of adults refused to wear their masks there - the place where if they could have just acted like adults for 45 mins and wear their masks, they could have potentially overturned the mandate again. Now it's a mandate until at least September 22. 

I could be wrong on the exact details as I don't have the info in front of me, but this is must watch TV folks. 
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 386
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/27 17:14:58 (permalink)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-27/biden-says-u-s-considering-starting-booster-shots-earlier-ksujzrim

After meeting with Israeli PM. Somebody is paying attention to Israel’s data.

https://papers.ssrn.com/s...fm?abstract_id=3897733

New study this week out of Vietnam shows that vaxxed subjects with breakthrough have viral loads 251 times higher than subjects from 2020 even when presymptomatic.

“Breakthrough Delta variant infections are associated with high viral loads, prolonged PCR positivity, and low levels of vaccine-induced neutralizing antibodies, explaining the transmission between the vaccinated people..”

What if the vaxxed are protected themselves but are super spreaders to other vaxxed and unvaxxed?
post edited by snagr - 2021/08/27 17:37:53
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/27 17:49:12 (permalink)
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/having-sars-cov-2-once-confers-much-greater-immunity-vaccine-no-infection-parties

Guess what’s still better than vax immunity?
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2948
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/27 17:49:50 (permalink)
What if??  Did the study compare people with viral loads from the delta variant or the original?  Or, did it compare viral loads from people with the original to vaccinated people with the Delta?  

Post a link to that study if you would.  

edit...oops, you did.  It thought the way your post was written that you posted something about the Israeli situation.  My bad.  
post edited by LDD - 2021/08/27 17:51:35
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/28 00:42:49 (permalink)
snagr
https://www.sciencemag.or...e-no-infection-parties

Guess what's even better than natural immunity? Having it previously and then getting a dose of the vaccine!

"The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and then received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated."

Source - the article you linked. 

snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/28 02:13:13 (permalink)
DeadGator401
snagr

Guess what's even better than natural immunity? Having it previously and then getting a dose of the vaccine!

"The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and then received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated."

You’re the one that thinks everybody should be forced to get vaxxed even though the vaxxed are 27 times more likely than me to get Covid and 8 times more likely to be hospitalized.

When public health starts acknowledging the power of natural immunity - which it’s ALWAYS done until Covid - I and millions of others might start taking public health a little more seriously.

It’s a bit understandable though that scientism has replaced science when there are tens of billions to be made and spread around.
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/28 09:22:04 (permalink)
Compared to unvaccinated people, “If you’re (fully) vaccinated now, your chances of getting infected go down by 3 1/2-fold,” National Institutes of Health Director Dr. Francis Collins said August 1.

“Your chances of having symptoms go down by 8-fold. Your chance of ending up with illness significant enough to be in the hospital goes down 25-fold.”

Such decreases in infections, illnesses and hospitalizations are “fantastically good for any vaccine,” Collins said. “We didn’t really have a right to dare they would be this good in the real world, and they are — even against Delta.”

The Delta variant is more than twice as contagious than the original strain of novel coronavirus and appears to cause more severe disease, according to an internal presentation from the CDC.

Still, more than 99.99% of people who were fully vaccinated against Covid-19 have not had a breakthrough case resulting in hospitalization or death, a CNN analysis of August 2 CDC data suggests.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2422
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/28 21:17:50 (permalink)
snagr

even though the vaxxed are 27 times more likely than me to get Covid and 8 times more likely to be hospitalized.

huh??
you're gonna have to help me with that one

..L.T.A.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/28 22:13:54 (permalink)
snagr
DeadGator401
snagr

You’re the one that thinks everybody should be forced to get vaxxed even though the vaxxed are 27 times more likely than me to get Covid and 8 times more likely to be hospitalized.

When public health starts acknowledging the power of natural immunity - which it’s ALWAYS done until Covid - I and millions of others might start taking public health a little more seriously.

It’s a bit understandable though that scientism has replaced science when there are tens of billions to be made and spread around.

It's odd how much you love to put words in my mouth. Last week it was "my beloved CDC Director" - this week it's  "yOU're the onE ThAt THINks evErYBoDy ShouLD BE ForcED to GeT VAXXEd".

Feel free to show me where I said everyone should be forced to get vaxxed. I sure don't remember it, but if I did, that's my not stance.

I'm completely fine with companies, healthcare systems, etc mandating vaccines though. No one is forced, but hey - if ya want to work at a specific place, it's their right to mandate whatever they want. If you don't like it - leave and find employment elsewhere. 

Children need certain vaccinations in order to attend public schools in PA. They're not forced to get them though, people can enjoy their FReEdUM and explore other options.
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/29 13:03:42 (permalink)
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e2.htm

How the CDC does science

Symptomatic elementary teacher wears a mask to school.  Probably thinking, "Everyone has masks so we'll be good because science."  

All the students are masked.  

Symptomatic teacher briefly removes the mask a few times over the course of two days so that class can hear her reading.  

Half of the students in the classroom test positive for Covid.  

#1 takeaway is still that masks work and mask harder.   

#2 takeaway is let's do more routine testing.  

#3 is ventilate.

#4 is stay home if you're sick.

The order of importance is pretty much the direct inverse of what science has actually shown will reduce community transmission.  

Brilliant!  
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/29 19:13:43 (permalink)
I don't have kids that are of Elementary age, so I'm not sure what my mindset would be in terms of them going to school vs virtual schooling. 

Listening to KDKA radio, a good question came about - if there are schools with no mask mandates, why aren't there virtual options for Parents who don't want their kids attending school in person, with other maskless kids. This may exist, I haven't really looked into it but seems like it'd be a pretty good compromise/option. If your child doesn't want to be exposed to maskless kids in a school environment, have a teacher set up to have those kids in virtual classes. 
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/29 19:36:46 (permalink)
My sister just had covid. She was vaxxed, had relatively mild symptoms, and was over it in like 3-4 days.

My brother in law got it too. He was not vaxxed. Has been sick for about 10 days, has been to the emergency room twice because he couldn’t breathe, and had to go stay with parents because he’s too sick to wipe his own @ss.

I reminded him that some guy on a fishing message board said the CDC is full of lies and the vaccine is a hoax. Strangely enough, his covid infection did not spontaneously go away. I guess he’s just a sheeple🤷‍♂️??
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/30 18:29:38 (permalink)
DeadGator401
I don't have kids that are of Elementary age, so I'm not sure what my mindset would be in terms of them going to school vs virtual schooling. 

Listening to KDKA radio, a good question came about - if there are schools with no mask mandates, why aren't there virtual options for Parents who don't want their kids attending school in person, with other maskless kids. This may exist, I haven't really looked into it but seems like it'd be a pretty good compromise/option. If your child doesn't want to be exposed to maskless kids in a school environment, have a teacher set up to have those kids in virtual classes. 

Every district in PA had to complete a very detailed Pandemic Response Plan for the state and I’m fairly certain that part of that required options for students whose parents don’t want them to be in class rooms for whatever reason.

In the past several years before Covid some districts began to develop their own online academies as cyber school became more popular. That was mostly financial because when students enrolled in cyber charter schools, all of the funding a district received for that student went to the cyber school. Developing their own kept it in house and many were well prepared for something like this.

Most districts in the past year that didn’t have their own cyber programs have developed online curriculum in response to Covid through third party vendors. Our district did that last summer. Some parents who did that said it was awful though and jumped into cyber charter schools for this year.

In our district in 2020-2021 all middle school and high school classes were live streamed every day and regardless of the reason for absence students could log in to every class. When all schools were closed in December in PA all teachers from K-12 were in their classrooms and doing a live stream as were most other districts that I’m aware of.

There were a lot of abuses of that after in person instruction resumed so before the school year this year you had to pick the online school or in person. The only way secondary students have access to live stream now are if they are in quarantine because of Covid (confirmed case or close contact with another student or family member). If secondary students are not in school for any other reason, they get to make up their work the old fashioned way.

No livestream options for absent elementary students in our district. Even Covid quarantine for them results in making up work the old fashioned way.

And students in our district are allowed to switch to full online at any point in the school year should they or their parents desire. But it will be a different curriculum.
post edited by snagr - 2021/08/30 18:31:57
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/31 17:32:06 (permalink)
DeadGator401

North Allegheny in Allegheny County has had a hell of a time dealing with it. First the superintendent said masks will be required, then something happened and school board over turned it, then some parents and school board members got a judge to file an injunction and make them required.

Does it look like it's working well?

https://www.northallegheny.org/Page/33033

Irisheyeball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/31 18:59:14 (permalink)
Somebody tell me, precisely now, how many cases would North Allegheny have suffered had there been no use of masks, or vaccines, or social distancing?  No waffling. What was the exact causal impact of these policies?  If this is unable to be determined, then spare me the snark.
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/31 19:37:20 (permalink)
Irisheyeball
Somebody tell me, precisely now, how many cases would North Allegheny have suffered had there been no use of masks, or vaccines, or social distancing?  No waffling. What was the exact causal impact of these policies?  If this is unable to be determined, then spare me the snark.

It’s possible to make comparisons to other schools that are mask optional and that also have dashboards like this and see if you think it does. Adjust for school size of course. We actually had control groups in PA for a week to two weeks in most counties although that will change Tuesday.

Active cases really doesn’t tell you much about what’s happening IN school. When you see quarantine numbers start getting a little higher than triple the active cases then you’ve likely got:
1. Kids being in school within 24 or 48 hours of symptoms/positive test
2. Rona being passed around at school.
3. A little of both

Some cases last year in our district of one high school student putting 20+ others in quarantine. It’ll be a little different this year because some districts make contingencies based on vax status or mask usage.

When Q numbers are about 2x or less that’s usually is a sign of kids already quarantining at home because of a sick family member and testing positive and having siblings who also are in quarantine.

There are variables but understandable ones and not so many you can’t look at a few districts and say, “Some difference,” or “Not much difference.”

For their size, NA looks like they’re doing fairly well so far district wide at limiting students impacting other students as I type (29 active cases and 82 in quarantine) but moving towards a shutdown maybe at Marshall Middle School.
post edited by snagr - 2021/08/31 19:45:49
Irisheyeball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/31 20:00:01 (permalink)
There are yet many unknowns that "****" any attempt at certitude. Foremost, I would think , is transparency and basic accuracy.  Are there objective standards of reporting that all are held to? That are monitored?  No.  No different than comparing infections rates of the US with Canada, India?  Russia?  How about China?  Just on a different scale.
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/31 21:23:35 (permalink)
Irisheyeball
There are yet many unknowns that "****" any attempt at certitude. Foremost, I would think , is transparency and basic accuracy.  Are there objective standards of reporting that all are held to? That are monitored?  No.  No different than comparing infections rates of the US with Canada, India?  Russia?  How about China?  Just on a different scale.

There is plenty of scientific certitude about the effects of Covid on kids. The science couldn’t be more clear and the response of most Western democracies apart from the US, Canada and Australia make it abundantly clear that kids don’t need to be protected from Covid anymore than they’ve been protected from other viral respiratory diseases in the past.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 00:52:26 (permalink)
snagr
DeadGator401

Does it look like it's working well?

https://www.northallegheny.org/Page/33033

Hard to say at this point. The highest count there is Marshall Middle school, which has well over 800 students. 
North Allegheny High School has over 2600. That link has 6 total cases for it. It'd be one to keep an eye on for sure. If we're a month out and that stays relatively low then yeah, I'd say it's working well. 

Time will tell for sure. 
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 01:01:18 (permalink)
Weird mandate timing by Governor Wolf.

No doubt it's a great plan that has no actual drawbacks, but weird timing for sure. 
while it was funny to me to see people lose their collective minds, he could have fallen on this sword a month ago and saved a lot of School Board members from abuse. 

Speaking of. Here's PA GOP Governor hopeful Steve Lynch, making threats of physical removal of School Board members over it with "20 Strong men":
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1432166542683279362

snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 09:24:57 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Weird mandate timing by Governor Wolf.

No doubt it's a great plan that has no actual drawbacks, but weird timing for sure. 
while it was funny to me to see people lose their collective minds, he could have fallen on this sword a month ago and saved a lot of School Board members from abuse. 

Speaking of. Here's PA GOP Governor hopeful Steve Lynch, making threats of physical removal of School Board members over it with "20 Strong men":
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1432166542683279362

This has been Wolf's m.o. with schools for 18 months.  Putting aside any debate about the school policies themselves that the state has put in place in that time, his communication with stakeholders in schools and his timing has been absolutely awful throughout.   

On this particular one, he cited the Delta variant and rising cases and hospitalizations in PA, as if either of these is some new development that he couldn't have addressed a month ago.  In addition to saving "school board members from abuse," he could also have saved school boards and school staff huge amounts of time and money that were invested in developing their pandemic response plans that were due to the state on August 1.  

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8453
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 10:23:40 (permalink)
The cases in PA have doubled in the past month, although still kind of lame excuse.  It was running rampant down south prior and easily predictable that it would do the same here.  Let the school boards do their thing, he loses.  Put a state mandate, he loses.  Right now, there isn't a public official that is winning with covid.  Even the savior himself, got booed for telling a crowd to get vaccinated.  It is so politicized, there isn't a right move anymore.

I'm not sure if school masking will do much.  It should slow spread a little.  But as noted, for the preadolescents, this is "just the flu", in terms of similar numbers of those hospitalized or severe cases (something like 300 per day, which is in line with influenza).  This Delta variant doesn't seem to need the amount of virus the previous one did to start replicating quickly in a host and then developing into Covid-19 illness for the unlucky.  The previous variant seemed to mostly need sustained close contact to allow enough virus to start replicating in a new host.  Delta seems to be what we were fearing in April of last year that the original variant was, of something that is much easier to spread.  Luckily it wasn't this to start.  I'm not convinced that the average mask used can do enough filtering for something as easily spread.  I'm by no means an anti-masker either.

The vaccine has shown to be effective of severe disease/hospitalization/death.  It has been available for all.  Combined with those that have natural immunity, we shouldn't be very far from heard immunity.  I do think if you don't have proof of a previous positive or proof of vaccination, health insurance should not cover any covid related hospitalizations for you.  Health insurance is a shared expense, we should not be responsible for higher rates that are definitely going to happen, for those making the choice of not being vaccinated/have tested positive and recovered.  Those people should not be taking up ICU or other hospital beds for cancer patients, heart disease or other patients either.  I'd be all for hospitals refusing care for those people.  It is your right to roll the dice on not vaccinating, but you should not be clogging up the system like they are down south, if you roll snake eyes. 
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2277
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 11:23:09 (permalink)
One of the local hospitals notified me a short while ago NO visitors allowed!
When oh when are we going to go back to living what I consider normal lives?

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
Ronald Reagan
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 11:49:04 (permalink)
That's a bummer Bigfoot.  I hope not a loved one that needs you there.

I think once this wave is over, we should be pretty close to heard immunity in the US, at least for now.  With the rest of the world not even close to that point, I have a feeling this thing will keep mutating and these waves will just keep reappearing.  Hopefully not to something that is like SARS was, that is much more lethal and much less selective of who it will kill.  I do think like others noted, this will be an annual shot, like the flu shot.  It doesn't appear this will be like polio or MMR, where one vaccine lasts for a lifetime or 20 years.

It will likely take a few years to catch up to "normal".  With all of the supply chains out of whack, the labor shortage in many industries and how politicized it all is, it may be more than a few years.  I don't see the politicization leaving any time soon.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2422
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 12:02:49 (permalink)
Porktown Those people should not be taking up ICU or other hospital beds for cancer patients, heart disease or other patients either.  I'd be all for hospitals refusing care for those people.  

dayum 
that's a slippery slope, Pork 
where's the line on the heart disease folks who's ills are a result of poor diet/life style?
do we count the number of biggie pops and Big Macs consumed to make that call?

How 'bout the distracted driver accidents ?
do we leave them to bleed to death on the hiway? 

..L.T.A.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 12:51:07 (permalink)
genieman77

dayum 
where's the line on the heart disease folks who's ills are a result of poor diet/life style?

..L.T.A.

1 Big Mac per day limit.  No cheating and grabbing a Whopper for desert either! 

Distracted drivers & heart disease are not a global pandemic filling up ICUs every time there is a wave, like this is.  There is no vaccine for either that cut the hospital/severe disease rate into a fraction either.  Our hospitals are set up to be able to care for the heart disease patients from too many biggie pops and those posting on fishing discussion boards on their phones while driving.  They aren't set up to be able to care for them as well as a rush of patients that would be cut to a fraction if they took an available vaccine.  

My work has us do a biometric screening for health insurance.  My rates are determined off of my health score.  If I eat 20,000 calories at every meal and don't exercise, my rates follow.  If I take meds to help lower my risk, my rates follow.  If I want to smoke, my rates follow.  

I bought life insurance years ago.  I released all medical and criminal records to them.  They were able to see exactly what my lifestyle choices were.  If I had reckless habits, my rates followed. 

At the very least, the vaccine or proof of past positive should be the same.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/09/01 13:11:58 (permalink)
genieman77
Porktown Those people should not be taking up ICU or other hospital beds for cancer patients, heart disease or other patients either.  I'd be all for hospitals refusing care for those people.  

dayum 

..L.T.A.

Is the healthcare system currently at risk of being overwhelmed by easily preventable heart disease or easily preventable auto accidents? If not, then this isn’t a relevant question.

It’s not like anybody is suggesting that we refuse healthcare simply to punish those who didn’t get a vaccine, it’s being suggested out of necessity because as healthcare systems reach capacity, decisions to prioritize care must be made.

Plus you can have a fairly complex debate about what actually constitutes a “healthy lifestyle” to qualify for care, whereas the question of vaccination is a simple “yes” or “no”.
Page: << < ..101102103104105.. > >> Showing page 104 of 112
Jump to: