Bow advice

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
  • Reward points: 0
2020/03/09 15:52:52 (permalink)

Bow advice

Anyone have any recommendations for a beginner compound bow?

Would be primarily used for target practice.  I wouldn't mind something that can take down a deer too, in case interest shifts there and not have to buy another then.

Probably one for kids and one for me.  Would also like to know the proper way to add dynamite to the arrow, Dukes of Hazard style, in case interest shifts there.  Like it has ever not shifted there.

Are these complete junk?  I like the price...  Which has me suspecting complete junk.

[font="'helvetica neue', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 26px"]Southland Archery Supply SAS Scorpii 55 Lb 29" Compound Bow

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIV04O6?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=ZQ4XXS5T4B4X6BA7JFP4  

20 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/09 23:07:01 (permalink)
    Pork I wouldn't be afraid of buying that bow for a beginners bow and plinking.

But before you buy anything, if you are not already familiar, might I recommend finding an archery range where you can talk with someone experienced and try shooting a few arrows.

Also, remember these guys make a living selling archery equipment and accessories do add up, so there's that.

There's no "one size fits all" with archery.

There are tons of good archery "how to's" on Youtube.

1st and most important, in my book, how to fit or size a compound bow.

Maybe start here then watch a few more.

https://youtu.be/X6D-4-NaaLA

Good luck, archery whether hunting or plinking is a good time.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/09 23:12:51

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/10 00:05:55 (permalink)
    Thanks BT. That is a great idea, like the bait shop duuds. Making a living on things like that, talking to a guy with passion in the subject for a half hour or so, is likely worth $100 in making a better decision.

Just like getting into any new sport, I don’t want to end up tossing $500 into it off the bat for something “you need” and it end up being a $500 dust collector... But also don’t want to spend $200, to find out that I need to spend another $500...

$200 is about as much as I am comfortable spending. Knowing that I have another $100 at least in arrows, targets and other.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/10 09:11:40 (permalink)
    +1 on going to a local archery shop.

I bow hunted from age 16-32 and never really learned much about how to service my bow and do what needed to be done.

So when my son was ready for one three years ago I could’ve saved a few bucks and figured it out on my own, but going to a mom and pop store where their livelihood depends on great customer service and knowledge of their products was invaluable.

I don’t know of any shops down your way but I’ve been very happy with the service we’ve had at Bucks and Bows in Gibsonia.

Cool part of the story ... The guy that ended up getting my son set up actually bought my old bow from me when he was 16.
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1668
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/10 10:50:51 (permalink)
    Pork, Find a shop to visit and look for a used bow. You can pick them up relatively cheap compared to a new one. I also would not be afraid to buy the bow in your link if I still shot compounds.

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/10 14:32:40 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Thanks BT. That is a great idea, like the bait shop duuds. Making a living on things like that, talking to a guy with passion in the subject for a half hour or so, is likely worth $100 in making a better decision.

Just like getting into any new sport, I don’t want to end up tossing $500 into it off the bat for something “you need” and it end up being a $500 dust collector... But also don’t want to spend $200, to find out that I need to spend another $500...

$200 is about as much as I am comfortable spending. Knowing that I have another $100 at least in arrows, targets and other.

Ha haa ha..... BeenThereDoneThat!!!

I'm now a proud owner of two new saltwater fishing rigs, sand tube, new soft tackle pouch, numerous fishing lures, hooks, sinkers, baits, and should I mention a 28 qt soft ice cooler just innnnnnnn case I catch a stupid fish.

Oh yeah, in the future, don't forget the beach cart thingy to haul all this "I don't need" stuff around.......

Back to the subject, did I mention, after buying my first bow and and was seen practicing..... I no longer had neighood kids, running through my backyard. Priceless.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/14 20:19:04 (permalink)
    Yeah pork, go to a small, local archery shop and get measured and shoot a couple bows to see what fits you.  Even if you don't buy....need to know your draw length, etc.  

Not sure about the South hills but Jay Peake near me is good.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/17 10:07:49 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for all of the advice.  Glad that I didn't order that one, but still looks like a nice set up.  I really don't know anything about it, but looks nice and good reviews.

I went out fishing on Sunday and knew that O'Donnell's near Lake Arthur on 19 has guns and other hunting supplies.  So, I asked if he had any bows for sale when I stopped in for some minnows.  Not only did he set me up, but got me a great deal.  He is trying to get rid of a bunch of much more expensive set ups, so anyone looking for a good deal, stop by or give him a call.  Those were tempting, but they would need all of the accessories and would add up quickly.  I opted for a used bow that had the sights, balance and other stuff already on it.  I trusted his judgement that the used one that I was leaning towards would make a fine starter bow, fit my size, etc.  He hooked me up with some arrows, finger tab and target.  Then took me outside to ease my head out of my rear end on how to use the thing on his target...  Took his time to adjust the sights and adjust my clueless form. 

Last night I shot arrows until my arms were sore.  My daughter's bow doesn't have the power to puncture the target, so looks like I will be adding to my list...  I figure if I get into it, then I can upgrade and pass this one on to my kids or if I don't, then I didn't spend all that much.  They couldn't draw this one back, so will be a little while.  I might look at something in between if they keep interest up.  Pretty much everything together, was a little more than what the bow alone through Amazon.  But got a good lesson out of it and was able to make a more sizable purchase from a local shop that I have frequented for years.  
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1668
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/17 10:58:37 (permalink)
    Excellent job Pork and a tip of the hat to O'Donnell's. 

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/17 12:25:55 (permalink)
    Welcome to the world of archery Pork.

Kudos to O'Donnell's as it sounds like a good place to shop, without fear of being sold stuff a guy don't need.

Hope you and your family enjoys your new adventure.

As always "aim small, miss small".

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/18 15:01:53 (permalink)
    Pork,

I think I missed it, what model bow did you end up getting and what are the specs (draw weight, draw length, brace height, does it have adjustable draw length modules w/o having to use a bow press)?   

Keep shooting....you'll be sore after the first few weeks until your muscles get accustomed to the drawing motion...

Where's the pics of you breaking nocks off your arrows at 30 yds?  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/18 15:19:43 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    Pork,

I think I missed it, what model bow did you end up getting and what are the specs (draw weight, draw length, brace height, does it have adjustable draw length modules w/o having to use a bow press)?   

Keep shooting....you'll be sore after the first few weeks until your muscles get accustomed to the drawing motion...

Where's the pics of you breaking nocks off your arrows at 30 yds?  

Awwww geez Eyes.... Breaking nocks off of arrows???

I been wondering how many arrows Pork has been "able" to "find". 🙉

oooops gotta get, high tide due at 7:45 pm and I need to tie-up some slip bobber rigs.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/18 15:22:35

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/18 16:18:00 (permalink)
    Not even sure what a nock is, yet breaking them off, yet shooting 30 yards...  Pretty sure if I shot it 30 yards, I would break something!  Right now, I am limited to about 50'.  I have a steep hill in my back yard that I use as a back stop.  I have about 50' of flat space until my front yard slopes.  I am not ready to put it in my upper back yard without some sort of back stop.  It is a long field, but then a hill, with neighbors below.  Not good to shoot in that direction.  Right now, I am just fine with the 50'.  When that becomes too easy, I will figure something out.

It is a Darton MX (forget the number, but in the double digits).  Pretty sure it is like 30 years old.  Not sure of the other stuff.  It shoots arrows at targets...  O'Donnell said it would kill a deer if I end up doing that, but need broad tips.

I want to say the draw length is 29" or 30" with an adjustable draw weight, not sure about length.  I think he said it was set to 55lbs?  There are allen wrench adjustments, I think for the weight.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/18 19:14:42 (permalink)
    porktown

Not even sure what a nock is, yet breaking them off

You will before it's over. 😊

Sssssst.... the thingy that hooks the pointy stick to the string. In do time, you'll be stacking your arrows.

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/18 20:22:56 (permalink)
    Did it come with a peep sight? Fiber optic pins? Limb savers? Stabilizer?

BH
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/18 20:44:36 (permalink)
    BloodyHand
    Did it come with a peep sight? Fiber optic pins? Limb savers? Stabilizer?

BH

Peep sight in the line. 3 sight pins that are fluorescent with a red light that shines on them. Not sure what limb savers are? Yes on stabilizer. He said that was $30 on its own. There is also some sort of arrow holder that you can keep one ready to shoot. I use that to hold my finger saver thing. The quiver mounting bracket is there, but no quiver. That is probably my first buy since I just put my arrows in a bucket now. Some other metal bracket with treading to mount something on. It looks pretty sissy compared to the ones I have seen on YouTube videos. But good enough to shoot with my kids. I need to get my daughter a nicer one. Hers is some sort of little kid one. I’m guessing she needs more in the 30lb range. She can’t pull mine back. Thinking to adjust it down as much as possible, but don’t want to mess it up.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/18 21:31:02 (permalink)
    Pork if you're serious about getting your daughter a bow, take her to the shop so she can be measured for the correct draw length as well as draw weight.

Youth bows can be purchased that will grow (to a certain point) with young archers. Nothing fancy, just arrow rest and if not wishing to shoot with finger than a properly fitted shooting release.

The bow should be adjustable for draw length and draw weight.

The one thing that shouldn't need changed is the "shooters form". Number one on the "need to know" list.

Here's a start and plenty more where this one comes from.

https://youtu.be/A21zLC77ooU

For now, forget the fancy stabilizers, limb savers, lighted nocks (I make my own😏) cam vs wheel, top cam vs bottom cam, cam vs cam, stuff for now because all the bells and whistles are gonna be a waste of money with out proper posture.

Howeverrrrrr, if I were to recommend an arrow rest for beginners..... ask the the archery shop to show you a "whisker biscuit" arrow rest.

Now... with that said, be prepared for 😲MG.... Whisker Bicuits are not.......

Anyways, here's a review so you can see the device... just forget the comparison with the drop away rest.

https://images.app.goo.gl/sG6PsTyNjhzoaGz17
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/18 21:45:21

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/21 15:15:19 (permalink)
    Welp, I have my old whisker bisquit I can give you, after this quarantine thing is over...it is just sitting in my archery tool box, I think...

Holw "old" is the bow, really?  Post up a pic if you can?  Is it new enough to have parallel limb technology?  Others are right that practicing and getting good form are the most important things right now but, the "newer" parallel limb technology, if nothing else, makes the newer bows so much more shootable compared to the older technology.  I am still shooting a 2008 model Martin that has parallel limbs and it shoots so much easier than the older Mathews FX I had previously.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2020/03/21 16:02:30 (permalink)
    I can't think of a better arrow rest for beginner's than a biscuit. Once proper form (and lingo) is learned, other arrow rest can be toyed with.

Lingo to me is important, if ya wanna save money when talking to archery sales people, looking to make money.

Things like "drop away" arrow rest might be a thing for "precesion" shooters, but not such much for the backyard plinker.

Eyes maybe you could post a pic or two of your bow so Pork can see what your sayin??

A change in conversation would be nice right about now and there's no law when ya can speak archery-ese. At least not yet.🙉
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/21 16:24:31

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Bow advice 2023/10/23 12:18:54 (permalink)
     Tim, Did you keep up the interest in target practice or is it collecting dust?
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bow advice 2023/10/23 15:18:33 (permalink)
    Dust! I lost my backstop hill when we had our pool put in. I tried using another area, but missing a few times and arrows flinging into the neighbors yard put a stop to it. Was going to get some bales of straw to make a backstop, but never did. I was thinking to break them back out that my son is more of a young man now and might be able to draw it back. But would definitely need a better backstop with him.
    Jump to: