Customs, another view

Author
sudsy1000
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/17 20:20:04 (permalink)

Customs, another view

Long ago I made the switch to custom built rods.  I have built a few myself but recently have bought from other builders.  I always see posts touting the benefits of custom rods and I mostly agree.  If your going to spend more than $300.00 on a rod why not get it exactly how you want. 
But, lets flip this:  Guys who are buying these $300-$700.00 Sage, Winston, Scott, ect.... rods right off the shelf, I'm interested in hearing why your not looking into a custom built rod.

13 Replies Related Threads

greenie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/17 21:42:26 (permalink)
    I bought my Scott sts 9 two years ago at closeout for 45% off. I had no idea what rods cost, or how to go about it. I walked into a shop, announced my intention to take up salt water fly fishing asked what do I do for a rod. Salesguy says "right here, big discount".  "You need a fast rod" (had no clue what that meant).  Still learning how to use it, trying to load it etc.  But I recently noticed that Scott has reintroduced the rod for more than $600.  I paid about 330.   No one ever mentioned custom  or costs for custom. I had no clue. But then, as now, I am clueless as to what to ask for in a custom etc.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/18 08:54:45 (permalink)
    1)  would have to say "what about a warrenty?" the name brands have warr. for the life of their rods or at least 25yrs. no questions asked on some. that will be hard to beat
    2) the two guys i know who are building rods are real busy, just for them to repair a rod will take a couple months.

i'm not busting on custom rod builders i'de love to have my next rod customed, i always thought they'd be more money than a shelf rod.  ~dt
    post edited by doubletaper - 2008/02/18 08:55:38

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/18 09:28:01 (permalink)
    As said before, you get a warrenty with a factory rod.  Also, resale value of a custom rod is vey low, with a factory rod you can recover a high percentage of your investment if you want to get rid of it.

fly fish....save a worms life
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/18 09:50:19 (permalink)

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/18 09:56:34 (permalink)
    I had a custom once.  Loved it.  Haven't had a nicer rod since.   The blank cracked.  

Let's assume the blank is warranted, which many are.  I still got to pay for the parts perhaps labor. 

Probably going to take some time to get it back,especially if it's a real work of art.  Real good chance if I break it, it'll be during the time I year I use it most.  I don't own more than one rod weight in the weights I have.  As I age, I will fish less rugged terrian, maybe I'll consider a custom again.  Until then, not likely.

btw.. no need to ever pay full price for a rod.

post edited by SilverKype - 2008/02/18 09:58:39
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/19 09:21:52 (permalink)
    Each builder will have their own way of handling a broken rod.  Some replace outright (similar to a factory) while some are no warranty.  Since I'm not on the market now, I'll share what my policies were.

Most of the blanks I used were limited lifetime warranties just like the factory rods.  If it breaks because of manufacturing error (either blank maker or mine) then just get it back to me and I'll take care of the rest.  If it broke from user error, then ship it back to me, I'll see what the blank manufacturer can do, and I'll salvage what I can from the components.  Of the couple rods that were broken, they were all user error and I think every one was a broken tip section between two guides (either high sticking, car door, or ceiling fan).  I was able to salvage all of the guides, so no new charge there.  Past that it was $5 a guide to re-wrap (standard repair rate).  This is inline with the standard industry practices for broken rods.

Yes, you'll get hit with resale value on a custom rod except for a very few custom rod makers.  However, if you are having a custom rod made for you, why would you want to sell it?  You don't go with a custom rod if you are just getting into the sport and don't know if you'll like it.  At the same time, I wouldn't be spending $500 on a sage rod if I were just getting into the sport and didn't know if I liked it or not.

With build time, yes some builders are very busy some times of the year.  At the same time, a custom rod isn't a spur of the moment, impulse buy.  If you are contemplating spending that much money on a rod, you should have a good idea of what you want, you should have a pretty good need for it, and you shouldn't have a 'need it tomorrow' mentality.  If you can't wait for it, you need to think about whether you really 'need' it or just want a new playtoy.

thanks
    rick
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/19 12:41:27 (permalink)
    I build. I will never buy another rod off the shelf again. I dont build for the public I do it for myself family and close friends. I never really thought about having somebody do it for me. The advantages of having a custum rod are you get exactly what you want. It may be just for looks, having better guides, oversized guides to help with the ice, using a better quality cork whatever. The downside of having a custom rod is waiting for it. If you want that bit extra of class go for it, do it yourself or have it done for you.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/19 14:43:28 (permalink)
    My next rod is going to be a custom, built by me. One builder I know has given me a book and video, and a lesson on wrapping. I still need to practice a little on the wraps, but they're comming along. The rest will just have to be carefull attention to the construction and choice of adhesives.

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/19 15:05:12 (permalink)
    Good for you PeteM. Its a headache at first but once shes all done its a very rewarding feeling.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/19 17:19:26 (permalink)
    I build & I agree I will never buy another factory rod, I do it
    mostley for family & friends & a few people who have seen my
    work & want what I build. I build blanks that have the same lifetime
    warranty as factory rods. the big thing is I build a rod to suite me
    or whom the rod is for.
        I build rods to fish with not fancy with extra wraps & fancy butt wraps.
    to me that adds weight & changes the feel of the rod.
         to those who would like to build a rod (GO FOT IT ) you will
    enjoy it & get the rod you always wanted
       Dave
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/19 22:40:46 (permalink)
    OK I agree, the warranty on customs is an issue.  But I think the other positives far outweigh the "potential" for a warranty claim.  I have several custom rods and haven't broke one yet, knock on wood.
    One builder I use says "if you are more concerned about the warranty than the design, your not ready for a custom". 

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/20 11:14:31 (permalink)
    I use a similar statement too.  If you want a warranty, but a Loomis.  If you want the best rod for your application, buy a custom.
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Customs, another view 2008/02/20 21:03:09 (permalink)
    We've got a site that might help on the topic of custom rods.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    Jump to: