Shad for Dead Bait

Author
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2019/12/01 09:46:55 (permalink)

Shad for Dead Bait

Has anyone ever used frozen shad for a dead bait rig for pike?  I'd love to hear anyone's opinions.  The northern boys use cicscos and smelt, but in PA shad seem to be the predominant bait species so I figured they would be a more natural presentation as dead bait.  

1 Reply Related Threads

FredT
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Shad for Dead Bait 2019/12/05 23:27:47 (permalink)
    Ok, about to give away a long time secret. Well, maybe not a secret now as it used to be. But back in the 60's I would help my dad shovel buckets of dead mooneye that washed up onto the dock in the winter. He boiled the oil out of the fish on a stove in our basement and put the oil in mason jars. Dipping minnies in the oil  when on a hook and dropping them down over the side of the boat with his homemade boat poles brought us buckets of perch. I think oils from other fish guts wouldn't work. It was something about the mooneye that attracted the perch.  And I think it was mooneye meat that we used to catch carp in the evenings off the mouth of Elk in the summer. Anyone else ever hear of this?
    My uncle gave me a couple of Cisco Kids many years ago but I don't remember catching anything on them.
    post edited by FredT - 2019/12/05 23:36:14
    Jump to: