Helpful ReplyHot!Out-n-About..... Again🤗

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Author
rsquared
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2226
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/20 11:42:01 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Unfortunately, today the weather dude was correct.... it's been windy as heck, high temp was 20 degrees colder then the past week and the low tonight will be touching 30 degrees.

Temp & wind doesn't look to improve til mid week with rain moving back, this coming Friday.

John, here's a bit of reading you might find interesting.  This guy does all his fishing from a boat in LA, but lots of transferrable knowledge to shore/wade/beach fishing.  

https://www.lafishblog.com/where-speckled-trout-feed-during-winter/?utm_campaign=where-speckled-trout-feed-during-winter&utm_medium=social_link&utm_source=missinglettr&fbclid=IwAR1JZi8BX7Ih98UOX4f3BsNRA11lX6eoW-jgwmr9a3eLnm6V6x8-3u-B1Hc

https://www.lafishblog.com/redfish-jubilee/?utm_campaign=what-is-the-redfish-jubilee&utm_medium=social_link&utm_source=missinglettr&fbclid=IwAR3nFPi0u8KRFcduxXW8-Tv-_6SuAvbk0ywqipiQ0hGtEIUxUK_DFl8ZeSw

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7102
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/20 12:54:23 (permalink)
Blue crabs are a pain in the rear to get to the meat, but might be my favorite seafood.  Lobster and sea scallops are pretty dang good too.  I used to crab all of the time as a kid on vacations.  Always in the backside waters, but they are in the ocean too.  Just usually too rough to catch them.  We have taken my kids out crabbing a few times.  This past year, the sound side in Emerald Isle, NC has very limited public access.  The fishing was good enough on the ocean side where we were staying.  Any time that I thought about doing, it was mid 90's and not really in the interest of the family.  In Hatteras, the sound side is very accessible by public, so much easier to do.  I have a few of these cheap net pots like in the link below.  They work well if crabs are around.  As well as a larger dip net made for crabs.  Which I have all but destroyed using to catch sandfleas...  Buying those small kid nets has saved that thing for its intended use.

Not the eye candy on this, but some good info.  I have always done better with chicken than fish for some reason?  But, I think it is just being at the right place at the right time, like fishing.  I'm sure some times fish is all they want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu2Uk3OyVY

The dip net/hand line way is more fun.  Get a few of these crab lines (below) and toss some chicken necks (or whatever is on sale for cheap).  Then toss them out in the water.  Then bring in slowly, you will feel them on.  And scoop them up with your net (highly recommend mesh like the kid nets so they don't get tangled and you have to untangle).  The hand line way is exciting like landing a fish.  We had a lot of laughs as kids catching blue crabs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hurricane-salt-tackle-crab-throw-line/19864052

We are going to Florida (Atlantic side) and SC this year.  Flying to FL, so we won't take the crab gear.  Will definitely be taking fishing gear though.  Likely give the crabbing a try in SC.  I am getting sick of the 10-11 hour drives, when you can find flights cheap to FL now.  We are planning to do a bunch of exploring in FL this year.  So, I will fly there, then drive 10-11 hours while there...  Ha, ha.  I've been to some of the areas 30 years ago, but have heard they have changed drastically.  Planning to cover from Jacksonville to Jupiter.  We checked out a bit of the gulf coast (non-panhandle) a few years ago.  Great area, but really expensive.  Anything south of Jupiter is also way too expensive.  Even Jupiter is really expensive.  Probably won't even make it that far south.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9981
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/20 12:55:45 (permalink)
Dave thank you very much. I look forward to reading the articles this evening as the outside air temps fall below freezing.

🤔 How odd, no ice fishing gear to be found in any bait shops. Sure ain't like back home.🙉

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/20 13:59:27 (permalink)
Pork as a kid living in Maryland I remember our family 'crab feast'. Man-O-Man that was many..... many many moon ago but still I remember chasing escaped blue crabs, wooden spoon in hand, around the kitchen and sometimes into the living room. There always seemed to be enough wooden spoons to outfit every kid, who wanted to go on an escapee hunt. Once found, the spoon would be presented to the crab in hopes the spoon would get pinched allowing for the crab to be returned. If the crab let loose, the child losing the crab was out of the game. The winner, receiving the largest crab from the pot and of course bragging rights. Plenty of hero pics back then too. Usually in 8mm.

Never knew dad and my uncles didn't catch the goofy things but "bought", at times, multiple bushel baskets of Blue Crab.

Now that I think of it, maybe that's why I'm so damed 'crabby' at times.

Anyways, I'm thinking maybe the area you mentioned at Fort Morgan on the bay side might be a good place to try my luck at catching a few to steam. 🤔After I check the regs 'cause any violations can be hefty in turn, possibly causing need for a "GoFundMe".

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out this evening.

Meanwhile..... Go KC!!!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/20 14:02:53

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 07:15:54 (permalink)
Not sure if inflation or less competition in catching or what, but blue crabs are ridiculously expensive now. I recall 20 years ago when I lived in VA and lived pretty much paycheck to paycheck. We would pitch in on a bushel of crabs. I think they were around $60, which came out to about $1 per crab or $10 per person. I saw last year a bushel is around $200... If you want to buy by the dozen, it was $60!!! $5 a crab... They are like catching gold now!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3192
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 07:22:40 (permalink)
5" min. carapace length.
Kids love crabbing....
We had one large trap we set off the dock or wall we are fishing and let it soak.  Have one of the traps you throw out with the hinged walls but the kids fav is just a string, weight and a chicken neck and a long handled dip net. 

For the bigger trap, a can of 50 cent dog food from the dollar store with some holes punched in it was a decent bait for us at times.  
Also, we would sometimes get some free fish scraps from the local fish houses near where we were staying.  Just need to make sure they aren't considered "gamefish" as you may get in trouble using the scraps for bait.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 10:45:15 (permalink)
GEEEEEEZ Louise...😳 $365.00 a bushel??? No wonder there's said to be a 60% population increase** with Maryland Blue Crabs in the Chesapeake Bay. $60.00 a dozen (pending size) 😧 Dam who couldn't eat a dozen by one's self.

I gotta git me some kite string and chicken necks.

**https://www.washingtonpos...ey-still-so-expensive/

In other news..... we hit a low temp of 29 degrees this morning and being in the 'deep south' I'm sure younz could understand my saying WTF-udge.... is up with that??? To make matters worse, I get my daily briefing from FishUSA, advertising a sale for ice fishing stuff.... that just taint righhht!!.

May as well mention, Sunny with a high of 45 today and to add a little sea salt..... the wind chill will be 30 to 35 degrees.

So much for finding eye candy on the beach today.... 😠

rsquared
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 12:12:19 (permalink)
Been on the MS coast a few times in December and January.  

Those temps FEEL really cold with the humidity - just the kinda chill in your bones that's hard to get rid of, no matter how many layers you have on.  Much different than a single digit morning here with high pressure and dry air.  

Tomorrow would be the day to take a drive West to Hopedale, LA for a redfish jubilee!  
post edited by rsquared - 2020/01/21 13:30:17
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 16:02:47 (permalink)
Time to go south in Florida to look for warmer climate!!! I think they have redfish there.

RV Park dude says we're seeing Feb. weather right now so maybe, we'll soon be seeing March weather. uhhh, Like tomorrow, if not sooner. 😒

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 16:32:46 (permalink)
Pork I checked those two links ya posted. Thanks a bunch. The ole boy on the crab vid looked like he'd be a good time to go fishing/crabbing with.

EMitch
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 548
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 19:26:36 (permalink)
My Dad's only brother that he ever located (they were orphans and didn't know where the rest of their sibs were), lived in Baltimore. When we first started visiting in the late '50s, Maryland Blue Crabs were about $3.00 a dozen. At the last family reunion which was in '95 or so, $40 or so a bushel. My! How times change.

I remember many a time delivering the docks in Baltimore and it seemed no matter where you drove around the waterfront, there were always folks sittin' on the banks of every little inlet or on some of the low bridges that cut across the corners of the bay doin' a little crabbin'. You know, go out for a couple of hours and get a half dozen or so for dinner. They are pretty tasty, but to me, too much work to dig out those little morsels. OTOH, I think me and my oldest son put most of the "all you can eat, Snow Crab Legs" ($28.00) out of business. Same thing on those prices though. 10 lbs. of Snow Crabs at Sam's Club used to be $60, (he and I could kill that in one sitting), but now you only get 5 lbs for a little more than that.
And for Porktown. Sea scallops! I could eat a bucket of 'em!

For Liberals, whenever reality conflicts with ideology, it is reality that must change.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/21 22:53:54 (permalink)
10-4 on the Scallops but only, if they get fried and nooooo fishy taste.

Snowcrab doesn't have a chance when it appears on a menu and I'm present.

A few years back, while still grindin gears, I'd layover two nights a week in Harrisburgb PA. One of those nights always led too dinner at a Chinese Restaurant serving Snowcrab or Shrimp. The crab was always the full legs so ya knew there was a good chance, it was crab. Just never really knew from where or what year.

Been years and years and I think years since I cracked a Maryland blue crab claw. Maryland crabcakes however, is a different story. Buddy of mine layed over in Baltimore and would return with crabcakes, made to order. That of course, stopped a few years ago when I called it quits.

Then, I think we were paying $45.00 for a dozen cakes. Thankfully those were not made in a Chinese Eatery so I think, it was blue crab we were eating.

Meanwhile, here in the deep south, the outside air temp is hovering just above deep freeze. Temp has been holding at 33 degrees and expected to touch 28 sometime in the am.

Honest, I was just kiddin about ice fishing.🏝
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/21 22:59:40

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/23 00:13:56 (permalink)
Dang..... 28 degrees this morning put the kibosh to any beach combing for eye cand..... errr sea shells.

Did warm up a tad, under cloudy skys today and lows for tonight will be mid 40's. Tomorrow...... ☔rain.

But then, sunny skys with warming temps, towards weeks end, will have me with rod in hand combing the beaches. 😬 Ehhh, change that to 'fishing' rod in hand..... ya hogs.😕

On another note, a new learning experience and one that makes me an expert in yet another subject.

A couple days ago I was peddling my asz around the RV park.... on my bicycle ya hogs, when I felt a mosquito chewing on my left ankle. Before I could find a safe spot to stop I felt a second, then a third. I needed to stop because reaching down to my left foot, while moving on a bike (just removed the training wheels) would likely of had me, skidding on my face.

Anyways, I soon learned it weren't mosquitos at all but, a couple ants. I brushed the little critters away and down the road I go..... ok, wobbled down the road.

Wellllp, today I reached down to scratch an itchy spot on my left ankle and what before my eyes did appear but two pimple looking thingys annnnnd they wasn't no little things neither. More like them horrid day before the prom, on the side of the nose, zits.

Being level headed, I kept my cool and called to my wife who inturn assured me, whinning and wimpering wouldn't make the pustules go away and if I didn't stop running in place, she'd have to hit me upside the head.

OK so long story short, my wife a retired Oncology RN assures me the pustules were likely the results from the bite of 🐜 "fire ants" and maybe I should think about that the next time I occupy myself, kicking ant hills in the area.🐜🐜🐜🐜

Anyways, I was left with two options 1. leave well enough alone treating with a topical anti-itch creme orrrrrr 2. applying a hot compress and 😁..... hell who don't like popping a big zit 🌋.

Next time I take no 1. cause nothing was said about 😲cleaning the freshly opened wound then applying burny😵 anti-infection stuff from a spray can.....🐜 🐜stupid fire ants.🐜🐜🐜

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/26 09:16:00 (permalink)
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/26 21:36:55

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1047
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/29 18:33:06 (permalink)
You catchin' any fish yet???? C'mon I need to see some fish pics since the ice fishing here has been non-existent. 😞
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/29 22:21:00 (permalink)
Crappie_Slayer younz ain't the only one dealing with stupid weather. The weather dude had it looking like this week was gonna be stellar and so far, every day scheduled for fishing it's been rain and wind. Today was one of those days. Heck, It started raining before sun up and didn't quit til after noonish. When the rain did quit, the temps fell 7 degrees in a matter of an hour and didn't stop til it hit 50 and finally settled at 45 just after sundown.

Suppose to be Sunny tomorrow with gusty winds so I'll have to see how that pans out.

I'll be upfront neighbor, it's different fishing and fun to watch other anglers on the beach but give me my Ultra-Lite and 1/32 oz hand tied bucktail anyday.

I'm already looking forward to get back muup north for "the Crappie run". Maybe a few eyes too.

Sorry it don't look like ice for younz muup north. I sure would have enjoyed seeing some pics.

I miss the ice fishing so I'm pretty sure, if I were home I'd be in a video gone viral, standing on a boat dock stomping my feet, cursing the weather.😭

Keep smiling, Ground Hog Day this Sunday. The odds are in your favor, your sure to be fishing from ice or fishing from boat real soon. 😁

Stay warm, good times & tight lines.

Update: Rain again Friday😠
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/29 23:34:40

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/30 05:54:23 (permalink)
01/30/20 41 degrees here this morning at 5:40 AM. (4:40 AM (CT)) Out of bed before sun rise-30..... WTH 😠???

Wait.... what the devil is Joe Thiesmann doing appearing on "Fox News"?? 🤔

😏 Oh yeah, Super Ground Hog Bowl Day this Sunday.

Goooooo Wood Chuuu..... 🙃 Chiefs.

😩 snot my fault, see what happens when I get up, before the sun does?

I think I hear a nap calling my name.😴
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/30 06:51:20

rsquared
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/30 11:33:04 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I'll be upfront neighbor, it's different fishing and fun to watch other anglers on the beach but give me my Ultra-Lite and 1/32 oz hand tied bucktail anyday.

When we first started going to Mississippi in the late 90's, we were newly married and I didn't have a whole lot of $ for extra fishing gear.  We always stay with my wife's grandma, so room and board were always free and we lived in NC and KY, so getting there wasn't too expensive.  

For the first coupla years, all I had was my normal spinning gear that I used for everything - a 6' medium light action rod and a cheapo reel with 6# mono.  Caught a buncha flounders and specks using 1/16 oz jigs and white curly tail grubs.  That set up was no match for the occasional red I'd hook into though.  

Next time ya go back, take your small stuff and your jigs, and fish the still waters around structure.  Maybe tie up some 1/16 or 1/8 oz jigs and you'll be in bizniss.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 00:11:55 (permalink)
rsquared I definitely will be building my arsenal for next year. I would have liked a 7' Med. WT with a bait caster today as I fished the bay of of Fort Morgan today.

Tons of fishing tackle available in all shapes and sizes but for lack of a Mancave to sleep in, I think it better to not, buy another fishing rod at this time.

Today however, I made good use of my newest posession whereas I learned from many beach goers that I shoulda been here yesterday, or on the Gulf Side this morning.

Anyway, without further ado.......

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/02/04 00:14:27

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 00:17:53 (permalink)
BUT WAIT...... what could this be??

Ice Shanty's waiting for the tide to come in??

😁

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1944
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 10:15:49 (permalink)
BTDT.... are you checking out the local pawn shops in your gulf travels? Many deals to be had around military bases in particular, but you would have to luck into the right timing to get the best stuff.  You may find some surf gear there that guys shipping out to new bases didn't want to store. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 11:02:33 (permalink)
👍Fisherlady the only problem with checking 'pawn shops' for fishing gear is...... "I" didn't think of that. Dam oldtimers.

Golly.. there's three such shops, within minutes of me annnnnnd I do need to get something special, for my better half, 'cause Valentines Day is just around the corner. 🤔 Or did I miss that too?? Say.... maybe a good time to make-up for that little incident about an anniversary..... or two???

Or maybe I should leave well enough alone 'fore I catch a frying pan upside my head. Decisions, decisions.

🙄 uhhhh..... sorry, fished 8 hours straight (what a great time) too much salt air clouding the mind, I think.

OH..... FYI, even though it is winter, did younz know when fishing in the south, it's still a good idea to take along a quality sunblocker and bug repellent too. Stupid oldstimers

Thanks again Fisherlady😌 excellent idea. 🍻
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/02/04 11:05:09

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 15:15:19 (permalink)
Looks like you could kayak out to that rig.  If you are adding gear...

Those pvc tubes do not look properly sucked into the sand!  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 15:17:06 (permalink)
What is on the horizon of your B&W photo?  Is that land or a tidal wave?

rsquared
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 17:58:46 (permalink)
Beautiful pics! Makes me wishin I was fishin in the Gulf right now.

Headin to Murrells Inlet, SC in a few weeks for a baseball tourney. Gonna be staying at a friend’s place right on the back marsh, so when I’m not sittin at the ball park, hopefully I’ll be fighting some specks and reds.

Dunno how deep the waters get in AL, but in MS that rig looks like it’d be wading distance. Although I’m sure a rig like that isn’t sittin in 4 or 5 feet of water. Can get out a good 1/3 of mile on most tides, as long as ya keep your reel up around your chest.
EMitch
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 548
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 19:02:52 (permalink)
What's the objective of those cement blocks, or whatever they are? Was there a pier there previously? Seems strange with nothing else around.

For Liberals, whenever reality conflicts with ideology, it is reality that must change.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/04 23:54:12 (permalink)
Pork at times the water was flat but then some doorknob would come along in a big asz botormoat, creating crashing waves, 🌊sending my asz for higher ground.

No problem with the sand spike staying put and ya can rest assured, ain't gonna be no Youtube vids of btdt sucking pvc pipe on a beach. But ya know, ya can get or build a cheap device to vacuum drive your pipe into wet sand? That sands like a fun thing to do on a weekend night. 🙈

But yeah kayaks are available, not far from the fort itself.

The BW shows Dauphin Island in the background.

Speaking of Dauphins people on the beach was treated to quite a show by a large group of Dauphins all day long. Sometimes they would completely leave the water. Unfortunately they would disappear before my stupid shutter would snap.

Dave going to SC for a ball tourney must be sweet but getting to fish, would be the icing on the cake. I hope it all works out for you.

I have no idea the depth of the water around that rig. Not far from shore, there are channel markers and the ferry between Fort Morgan and Dauphin Island runs past the rig.

Just left of the rig, big asz botormoat 🚢freighters and tankers are traveling to and from (I think) Mobile Port. Those are the same big asz botormoats sending my little asz scurrying from crashing waves.🌊

As for wading chest deep in gulf waters 🤔 ummmm, I think I'll just stay on the beach. 🦈 I have nooooo desire to offer my little asz as future shark 💩.

emitch, I was fishing the shores of Fort Morgan. To the left of those concrete blocks was more concrete leading from the fort out to the beach. I had intended to take a walk toward the fort on my way back but when I returned, the area was pretty well covered by tourist many of which, were taking pictures. Boy do I hope none of em was taking future Youtube vids, as I stumbled my way back toward my vehicle. Especially, while them big asz 🌊waves was crashing in.

Weather be changing again, bringing small craft warning of heavy fog 20 NM out as well as along the shorelines. Windy with heavy downpours in the forecast thru Thursday then back at it, chucking bait into the Gulf waters.

My only concern.... where to fish.🙉
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/02/05 00:06:22

rsquared
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/05 09:19:46 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Speaking of Dauphins people on the beach was treated to quite a show by a large group of Dauphins all day long. Sometimes they would completely leave the water. Unfortunately they would disappear before my stupid shutter would snap.

Those things are jerks but . . .

Usually, if they're hanging around a spot it's because there's lotsa food.  Nothing those pryks love more than to bust up a good trout or red bite, by getting a few bites of trout and reds for themselves.  
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3192
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/05 11:35:51 (permalink)
BTDT,
Since you aren't catching anything, maybe you can convince your wife to practice with you for a little bit.....

https://youtu.be/vD6YikHdbRU

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/02/05 11:57:04 (permalink)
r² ⬅↩(😁riginal) ya know the saying "wish in one hand and.......". Welp, seeing the dauphins I was wishin they would push what they was eatin, toward shallow water along shore. I thought for sure, I might find sumpthin hanging around those concrete blocks sittin in the water. Then later on, I tried around an abandoned, big asz no trespass, boat dock.

No need to tell ya about, what I went home with in, the other hand.......

Must say, even though no stupid fish (yet) it is a very interesting experience of which I am enjoying and one, I shall not forget.

Nor shall I forget the well wishes and help extended by many of younz, helping me get started. 🍻🍻🍻

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Jump to: