Helpful ReplyHot!Out-n-About..... Again🤗

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9981
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/11 22:57:30 (permalink)
Pork from what I'm seeing that blue thing is a "Blue Bottle Jellyfish" A/K/A The man o' war, but I'm not sure if it is the Portuguese or Pacific. Info I found says the Portuguese is common to the Gulf.

I do know, these things were being washed on shore and while we were not intentionally wading, waves were washing past us leaving us standing, sometimes in shin deep water.

The three in the one picture and the single one by itself, were left behind from one of those washes. The beach was dotted with the things.

Seeing the tentacles we assumed them to be jellyfish and thought it best to stay clear of any water and headed for the pier.

A quick search of the internet along with Youtube assured me I might have done something smart...... for once.

The sting from them things ain't as easily treated as jellyfish.

From what I saw, hot water applied to the sting area is the most effective but the water need be 112 F (45 C) and applied or soaked for several minutes. If hot water is not immediately available, ice is the next best thing.

Duration of pain can be expected to be an hour (+/-) and the more stings, the more need for medical treatment.

I'll certainly stand corrected but I for one, will not be picking one them things up and laying a tentacle across my forearm to test the water. Helllllll even I ain't that stupid.

Weather looking good tomorrow.... Fort Morgan here I come. 🏝
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/12 08:00:50

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7102
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/11 23:49:20 (permalink)
I heard the best way to pick them up is putting a PVC pipe on top and sucking it up the straw! Wow, getting stung by one of those in the muzzle might be one of the worst hours of your life.

Go get them tomorrow. Hope you smack them, like the Titans just did the Ravens!!!

Side note, I hear that jelly fish is a top bait of spade fish (angle fish looking fish). They hang out around pilings of fishing piers, and fun to catch if other fish aren’t biting. I have heard from some they are excellent eating and others they aren’t. They fight really well for their size.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/12 01:09:39 (permalink)
Thanks for the well wishes on fishing Pork Icm gonna give it a try.

Walking the beach today was like walking on concrete.

Might of had to suck the tube in the sand today. On the other hand, when water would wash aroud our feet we would just sink in. So that, makes me wonder what would happen by pouring water into the tube, might the tube sink, like our feet did?

OMGosh, 😲 I could go down in history as the guy that destroyed tube sucking in the sand😠 and become a marked man.🙈

Anyways the high surf warning ends overnight and low tide will be taking place so I thought I might be able to locate a place or two to try when the tide comes in.

I think I'd be safe in thinking a few things changed with sandbars and other fish holding structure by all the recent action.

That's the bug I think bit me the hardest. The challenge in reading the water and finding the fish, then learning what it takes, to catch the stupid fish.

A trip to the fishing pier just before high tide revealed that we were the only ones, at the time, interested in watching the tide and high surf roll in. We had the entire pier to ourselves. (still cost me $3.00) Big ole moon tried sneaking out from behind the clouds trying to shed a little light on the crashing waves but just didn't happen for us. Wind was warm and relatively mild out of the north along shore but when we got near the end of the pier.... welp that all changed. Didn't take long to know, we weren't dressed for the occasion.

Wave action was crazy yet mesmerizing and at times crashing hard enough into the pilings, sending spray well into the air, bringing one back to reality.

Looking forward to another after dark walk, over the Gulf of Mexico under a full moon..
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/12 08:10:27

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

rsquared
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2226
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/12 19:28:16 (permalink)
18 hours since you updated ... must’ve been a heckuva day of feeshin!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/12 19:36:06 (permalink)
Spent 4 hours on the beach today. Water had a bit of a stain but nothing I would call dirty. Wave action was still higher than I had hoped and breakers could be seen a couple hundred yards off shore.

Lost sumpthin and another time one of my baits was chomped leaving about 1/2 inch on the hook. Was using the "Fish Bites" and anyone using them things, know they ain't easy to bite off.

Made a couple of new friends today. What a hoot annnnnnd pain in the****these guys are.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

I was hoping for a bit more milder wave action.... oh well, maybe next time.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/12 20:24:05

Attachment(s)

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/12 20:41:04 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

That's the bug I think bit me the hardest. The challenge in reading the water and finding the fish, then learning what it takes, to catch the stupid fish.

No matter where I fish, that is always the biggest bug. To me, more fun than catching (well, catching makes it rewarding)... When I take the boat out, wade a creek/river/lake, whatever I am fishin, the days prior are always trying to analyze where, what time I should be there, what they are eating... That whole planning and anticipation thing is what makes us anglers and not just guys going out fishing. Usually those stupid fish are proving me wrong... Except for those few times, then I go on this board like all of my trips are successful and that I somehow figured out the riddle!
Any “good advice” that I give, has definitely worked for me. But has also resulted in multiple skunkings. It really helps having 4-7 days in a row to just pound away. Even more so to have 50-100 days or whatever you have. I have full faith by the end of you winter retreat, you will have a formula for the next 10-15 years. To a point where you know what days aren’t even with the effort and what days are, “sorry honey, but I need to go out today”... Hopefully some of what I am sharing is going to lead to some fish and isn’t down right laughable when you look back on this after figuring things out.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3192
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 07:55:43 (permalink)
BTDT,
Some reading for you...
For the forum below, I'd join up, introduce yourself, and ask some questions.  Even though you are a yankee, you should be able to get some good, "general" info.  Maybe even ask up if anyone needs someone to help pay for gas/bait/ice on some of those inshore trips....  That was my initial "in" when I lived in Texas and made life long friends out of the experience.  For inshore fishing, typical walleye/bass gear does great and even stout panfish gear, with some 20# braid on the reels, will be more than sufficient.  

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/

https://www.facebook.com/EXCITETHESURFSTRIKE/
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 08:21:58 (permalink)
That Pensacola surf fishing forum has a pretty interesting pompano discussion going on.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 12:10:29 (permalink)
Porktown
That Pensacola surf fishing forum has a pretty interesting pompano discussion going on.  

I'll say......

See you guys, 👋 it's been fun.

😊

😒

😞

🤔

NAH....😉 just kidding, Younz would miss me.

Eyes thanks, greatly appreciated, I will check the forum out in greater detail.

Unfortunately (and my luck) the first time I clicked the link, the first thing I read is someone asking for prayer. Their family members were in a nasty accident. 🙏🙏🙏 sent.

Before joining and accepting offers for a boat trip, I'll need a new handle just in case, somebody from that forum is a member of this forum. 🙈 .

Anyways, rain to be expected the next couple days then super weather. Which leads me to my next learning experience that requires me to know where Alabama ends and Florida begins.

Not difficult seeing and finding public beaches as one drives the highway along the Gulf. It's just important to remember the need to watch when entering another state. Not a good idea to fish from a beach for which, you have nooooo fishing license.🙉

JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 395
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 12:41:16 (permalink)
Florida annual nonresident saltwater license is $47.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 13:10:49 (permalink)
Howdy howdy JM..... hope all is well.

Thanks for the info about the Florida non-resident license.

I've seen Youtube videos where local anglers find better fishing conditions along Florida beaches when conditions ain't playing fair in 'bama. So not a bad idea to have both.

Can't beat the cost, for sure

How's the weather muup your way?

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 14:30:15 (permalink)
Been snowing off and on the last week. About 6 or 7 inches on the ground at my place, much more in the mountains. Temps have been pretty decent though, 20's and 30's mostly.

Heading back to So Cal next week for the rest of the winter. I should probably sell my place down there and start doing full time in Montana. 

Yeah, the Fl license isn't a bad deal. It's good one year from date of purchase. There's a phone number you can call, and buy the license over the phone. They will give you a license number that can be used until your license arrives in the mail.

You should do a day trip over to Apalachicola and St. George Island. You may like the area more than Gulf Shores. It's a lot less developed, kind of like what most of Florida was like 50 years ago. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 15:33:29 (permalink)
JM thanks a bunch. Took a look see on the phone. Will be checking the area(s) in greater detail this evening using the 'puter.

Did fire off an email asking more info at a RV park in Apalachicola.

Thanks again. 🍻

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 17:58:40 (permalink)
There's a nice campground in the state park on the eastern end of St George Island. I don't think they have full hookups, but they have water and electric hookups. There's a central restroom and shower house there, and I believe there's a dump station in the campground also.

Haven't been there since hurricane Michael though.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 22:08:25 (permalink)
JM I did a Google fly over of several parks in the area. Some nice looking parks.

State parks would be fun but we'd be spending a few months so we'd need full hook-up.

Rates are a bit more, plus some of the parks charge an additional electric rate which is nearly double, what we pay a month for our home in NW PA. Booo!!! 😅

Definitely will be worth a layover for a week or two and check the area a little closer.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/13 22:10:16

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/13 22:17:15 (permalink)
Porktown

Pork and Eyes, either of you guys join that forum?

I tried and I'm getting pop-ups and scrolling ads.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3192
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/14 09:22:38 (permalink)
I was a member many moons ago.  if you browse with chrome, if you install some add-ons to the browser, it will clean up all that junk.  adblock plus is one of them you need...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/14 10:04:09 (permalink)
OKey Doke. 👍 Thanks Eyes.

Not much going on today. Bunches of rain to our north but little chance of precip for us the next 5 days.

I see cold weather coming this weekend for the area back home. Looks to be a good stretch of sub freezing temperatures through next week. I hope the report holds true and goes well beyond the 14 day forecast, giving the hardwater anglers some quality catchin time on the ice.

I'll be waitin for pics.

Good times & tight lines 🎣

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/14 11:01:14 (permalink)
I’m not. Eye’s link is first that I have ever seen it. Looks to be a treasure chest of good info though. Any time that I plan to fish a new area, I always try to find forums like that one. It should cut the learning curve into a fraction of trying to figure it out on your own.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 07:17:02 (permalink)
Took a self guided tour of local beaches and other fishing areas annnnnd turned up nothing but one Sheepshead, taken (not by me) under the Perdido Pass Bridge. We showed up in time to see the dumb fish being placed on ice and missed any photo-op.

Our tour took us to areas of Gulf Shore, Orange Beach and Perdido Key.

Spoke with numerous anglers including two dudes sporting guide service tee shirts. These guys looked to be "spotburning" hoping to find where fish were biting to do quick Youtube/Facebook hero shots. Sure didn't have much to offer regarding their success.

Other Anglers we spoke with all reported catching slow and pretty much limited to Whiting and Sheepshead.

I might maybe give some time to wetting a line sometime today but honestly, from what I saw and heard, it doesn't seem real promising.

Weather forecast doing what it's been doing. Cloudy, a bit windy, and maybe 70 today with rain for Sat followed by high temperatures falling into the 50s, before climbing back to the 60s mid week.

Life is a beach. Tight lines.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/17 07:24:16

rsquared
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 09:48:50 (permalink)
Did a little reading on your behalf John.  

Keep pounding Fort Morgan on the western tip or along the bay side near the boat launch or ferry dock.  Fish the deeper water around the structure and I bet you'll get into some fish with some shrimp or maybe your Gulp Fish Bites.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 14:01:31 (permalink)
Thanks muchly muchly Dave.

Bayside may be needed for a few days as the wind is out of the east gusting to 20 mph then swinging from muup north.

Weather dude says we might see the temperature into the low low, very low 30s (maybe even 29) by first of next week.

I learned something interesting after seeing the forecast of the cold temps. Did younz know ice fishing gear, is not readily available in these parts? 🙉

However, if I order now, FishUSA would have it to me before, the cold weather arrives. How awesome is that!!! 👍👍👍

🙈
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/17 14:04:51

rsquared
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 14:23:25 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks muchly muchly Dave.

Bayside may be needed for a few days as the wind is out of the east gusting to 20 mph then swinging from muup north.

Weather dude says we might see the temperature into the low low, very low 30s (maybe even 29) by first of next week.

I learned something interesting after seeing the forecast of the cold temps. Did younz know ice fishing gear, is not readily available in these parts? 🙉

However, if I order now, FishUSA would have it to me before, the cold weather arrives. How awesome is that!!! 👍👍👍

🙈

Welp, like I've said, dunno much about whiting and pompano.  But I do know trout, flounder and reds will be in deeper holes around structure holding baitfish at this time of year, especially on a strong cold front.  Toss out some whole dead shrimp, frozen mullet or slowly work a jig and soft plastic, and hang on!  I'd definitely be working the drop offs around a marina or boat launch on the back side of the beach or somewhere in Mobile Bay near where some more moderate brackish or fresh water is flowing.  

Shocked to hear you can't get ice fishing gear down there!  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 14:58:20 (permalink)
You should ask around where the best speckled perch bite is!

I'm checking reports for my next trip and saw some in the freshwater section.  Let's just say the reports looked crappy...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 15:58:45 (permalink)
Pork I hear you on those crappy reports. My next adventure will be checking out fresh water fishing. There is such a lake within Gulf Shores State Park that requires some definite attention in the future.

Dave regarding the Fort Morgan point. I saw this guy fishing the Perdido beach yesterday but he had some clients so I kept my distance.

But here he is fishing the area of Fort Morgan area.

https://youtu.be/5y5PfSSvk4U

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 17:01:21 (permalink)
BT, I missed the plate on my delivery there!  

Speckled perch is the southern name for our crappie, at least in Florida.  Just found that out. 

Although 10 years ago, a guy from Florida did tell me that he called pan fish specks.  It all makes sense now...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/17 18:55:52 (permalink)
Not at all Pork, I figured ya was speakin of Crappie but shhhhhhh no "spotburning" . lol

Calico Bass is another name used in southern fresh waters.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/17 19:03:26

rsquared
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/18 00:46:08 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pork I hear you on those crappy reports. My next adventure will be checking out fresh water fishing. There is such a lake within Gulf Shores State Park that requires some definite attention in the future.

Dave regarding the Fort Morgan point. I saw this guy fishing the Perdido beach yesterday but he had some clients so I kept my distance.

But here he is fishing the area of Fort Morgan area.

https://youtu.be/5y5PfSSvk4U

Big black drums are fun to catch!  But if you're a little bugger, you gotta put rocks in your pockets and have a strong big brother to hold the fish for the hero shot.  

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/19 21:24:04 (permalink)
Super super hero shots, to say the least.

I'm still workin on gettin a few of them kind of pics myself. Shoulda & coulda been fishin yesterday (Sat) but I thought maybe the weather dude might be right as rain. But nope he was wrong about the delivery time and I coulda shoulda gone fishing the 1st half of the day.

Unfortunately, today the weather dude was correct.... it's been windy as heck, high temp was 20 degrees colder then the past week and the low tonight will be touching 30 degrees.

Temp & wind doesn't look to improve til mid week with rain moving back, this coming Friday.

In other news..... Has Green Bay shown up yet?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/19 21:25:53

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/01/19 22:03:59 (permalink)
This message for Porktown.....

Pork I don't know if ya ever tried "crabbing" when you're along a coast somewhere.

With the weather being what it is, I trolled Youtube for vids on crabbing and to noooo suprise there's plenty giving advice using traps to hand lines. Even opinions on using cut bait to chicken necks.

For your enjoyment, I've included one of my more recently found favorite 'how to' vids.

Disclaimer: Eye candy alert, watch at you're own risk. Not responsible for anyone gittin hit up-side your head with a chicken neck or other cut bait.😁

https://youtu.be/BLKW7r44Sb8

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Jump to: