Helpful ReplyHot!Out-n-About..... Again🤗

Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11033
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/28 03:25:19 (permalink)
....... and so closes a chapter, in a very somber occasion.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

NEXT: BTDT Phone home....
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/28 03:40:07

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7393
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/28 09:34:29 (permalink)
Great thread. Was fun to read your updates. Sounds like this virus hit the area at the worst time to affect the fishing. I’m sure next year will be much more productive for you.

You might want to consider heading a bit more south (FL) if you want to get into more fishing time during the winter. Sounds like SWFL fall is another month and spring starts a month earlier. I’d imagine Ft Myers isn’t too much different than Gulf Shores? A bit more of a drive. But should give you at least another month worth of fishing. Tampa/St Pete is great, but crowded and expensive. Awesome looking campground at Fort Desoto Park though. Atlantic side, Daytona through Ft Hutchinson seems more affordable, so assume campgrounds aren’t as expensive. Canaveral would give you a ton of site seeing stuff too.

Safe travels on your trip back north. Hopefully PA doesn’t shut down state parks right as you get back...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/28 12:26:42 (permalink)
Pork I too enjoyed the conversation. It was great hearing the opinions from all y'all and twice as gooder getting advice from y'all. ↖(see what happen's when y'all stay in one place too long)

Never everrrrr did I picture myself fishing saltwater.

Correct you are, the Pompano and Sheepshead just heating up and reports of trout being caught along with dandy Whiting, just as the beaches shut down.

I was sure hoping to put a few successful pics up (C & R of course😏) but that will just have to wait til next year, and next year, all y'all can expect more exciting adventures.... how gooder is that???

Appreciate the Florida "spotburns" too. Gives me thought to working our way across Florida coast lines, making our way back to our "snowbird base camp".

I already have a "bring next time" list, which includes bait bucket and a "bigger" tackle bag.

Being a newbie, I stayed with using 'Fishbites' and trying a bit of frozen shrimp plus tossing a spoon or a swimming jig now and then. My first impression of 'Fishbites'...... I bit. They do come in pretty colors though.😆

Anyways, thank y'all to all y'all for y'alls advice and encouragement. I enjoyed my new experience and I'm looking forward to trying again next year and who know's, I might even catch a stupid fish.

Thank you for the well wishes in our travel.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/28 12:32:19

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7393
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/28 21:02:14 (permalink)
Don’t give up on fish bites, they do work. And will be perfectly usable next year (if your bag is sealed). I’m sure Gulfport has a TON of fish (YouTube is proof). But seems like winding down when you get there and taking off when you leave. That would drive me nuts personally! But as the other reports note, the locals can catch fish all winter. So, if you can figure out a few secrets, then you will be on things. I am talking more the dumb fish, that you or I could walk out on a beach and likely catch! They seem to stay even further south than AL during the dead of winter. Heck, head down there and I’ll be telling you that they must be in Cuba if they aren’t there.
Just like my rear end, my opinions smell great at times!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/28 23:17:19 (permalink)
ummmmm OK on the Fishbites but a little more than "I" need to know about the other thingy. 😆

I do appreciate the help and advice from all y'all. It's been an experience to remember as well as good times to look forward to.

P.S. I was looking forward to a 😉
'stripper' I could slather in mayo and toss on the grill. but I got to thinkin, mayonnaise and sand ain't a good mix.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/28 23:18:53

Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/29 12:19:39 (permalink)
John, thanks for sharing your travels with us.  

When Pork talks about those dumb fish that anyone can walk out on a beach and catch, he means it.  When specks or reds are piled into one place, they are really easy to catch and bait doesn't much matter sometimes.  

Was fishing with my wife's uncle in his boat several years back in MS and we were chasing seagulls between shore and the barrier islands, casting into schools of trout gorging on shrimp.  I threw a bare, white jig head (no skirt or anything) into the schools and was catching trout.  

The challenge is finding where those places are at the right time.

Safe travels back to PA!  Heard from a friend yesterday that live wells are getting filled with big crappie and perch in your PA backyard.   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/29 21:51:15 (permalink)
rsquared the funner part of this trip was the good conversation. Thanks for being part of the adventure. Would be twice as gooder if it could be in real time.

Made it to our destination just south of Birmingham AL and enjoying the cooler dryer air.

The humidity in the south is like really weird. The air temp can be at 70 degrees with high humidity and I'm wearin nothin but my speedo 😣. The next day the air temperature is 70 having very low humidity and I'm wearing a sweatshirt with my speedo. I'm tellin all y'all, I'm too sexy for my shirt... too sexy for my shirt. 🙄sorry, I been breathin too much salt air.

Heading to Kentucky in the morning but unfortunately our visit will be that of a drive by, and a one night stand, before sneaking across the boarder into the Buckeye.

Looking forward to hitting the local lakes when we return.

Take care, stay well.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3290
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/30 12:51:06 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
rsquared the funner part of this trip was the good conversation. Thanks for being part of the adventure. Would be twice as gooder if it could be in real time.

Made it to our destination just south of Birmingham AL and enjoying the cooler dryer air.

The humidity in the south is like really weird. The air temp can be at 70 degrees with high humidity and I'm wearin nothin but my speedo 😣. The next day the air temperature is 70 having very low humidity and I'm wearing a sweatshirt with my speedo. I'm tellin all y'all, I'm too sexy for my shirt... too sexy for my shirt. 🙄sorry, I been breathin too much salt air.

Heading to Kentucky in the morning but unfortunately our visit will be that of a drive by, and a one night stand, before sneaking across the boarder into the Buckeye.

Looking forward to hitting the local lakes when we return.

Take care, stay well.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little........
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/30 19:47:36 (permalink)
Eyes ya shoulda..... been here😳

Hey all y'all remember me tellin y'all about going to Dauphin Island an getting one of those infamous "Shrimp Po-Boys"?

Welp today we're laying over in Kentucky so what better place than to get some fried chicken??

It's finger lickin goooood! 'cept, y'all ain't suppose to stick y'alls fingers in y'alls mouth orrrr anybody else's neither.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/30 20:42:23

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/31 08:04:44 (permalink)
My inlaws drove their RV back from FL late last week and they said it was the easiest trip back on I-95 they ever had.  Smooth sailing with the lack of traffic....

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/31 22:00:11 (permalink)
Eyes I must agree, the traffic is much lighter between the bigger cities.

I try timing my trips through the big cities so I miss rush hour but this trip didn't seem to matter.

Traffic was light and while 'big trucks' were rolling, travel plaza's/truck stop parking lots were much fuller then usual, for this time of the week.

We had no problem crossing state lines or finding RV/camping parks open to travelers. Overnight stays are welcome but unless all travel is stopped, long stays are not permitted.

Reservations are prefered by phone or internet and you can expect to find your info placed at the 'after hours board'.

Swimming pools, playgrounds, laundry, showers, and public potties all off limit til further notice.

The day before we left our RV Park in Alabama, they offered a month long stay reducing the rate by $100.00. Sunday the day of our departure we learned the coastline shutdown was extended til April 17 so that took a little of the sting out of missing a good deal.

Today, upon landing in Southeast Ohio, we tuned to Weather Nation just in time to see heavy storms moving through the Gulf Coast including a big asz water spout on Mobile Bay.

Dang... I'd of loved to see that in real time. From land of course, not from the ferry. 😳

Be safe and stay well.

JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/31 22:38:25 (permalink)
There was an earthquake about 150 miles south of my place in MT. Could you swing by there on your way back home, and check it out?
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/03/31 23:27:08 (permalink)
Heard it was a 6.5 in Idaho.....
JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/01 00:56:24 (permalink)
Just north of Stanley, ID, which is about 80 miles northeast of Boise.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/01 08:40:04 (permalink)
JM2
There was an earthquake about 150 miles south of my place in MT. Could you swing by there on your way back home, and check it out?

Just saw the weather report..... ummm, no.

I will however, keep 🤞🏼that all is well.

Be safe everyone, stay well.

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/01 13:30:48 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure everything is okay. Probably got rattled a bit. I figured since you were already Out-n-About, you wouldn't mind a little side trip. Can't be much more than a couple thousand miles there, and then a couple thousand back. Judging by the time it took you to tour Yellowstone and Teton last fall, you could do it in two days total. If I remember correctly, you left Indiana, visited Yellowstone and Teton, and was back in Indiana 4 days later. That's some very efficient vacationing.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/03 06:02:55 (permalink)
JM I just checked the weather in the Dakota's ..... not my kind of "snowbirding" thankyou very much. Maybe I can swing by in a couple of months or two. 🙃

So I leave the deep south a few days early and see what happens from the fishing pier? Stupid fish!!!

https://youtu.be/oWfP92pruxQ

For all y'all who get to the beaches for big water fishing I hope the vid brings y'all future insight and helps get all y'all through these miserable times with this stupid Corona Virus.

Stay safe, be well, practice social distancing, annnnnd wash y'alls hands before picking your nose.🙈
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/04/03 06:07:17

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2038
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/03 08:33:37 (permalink)
Glad you made it safely back to Pa.  Now stay home till this blows over! LOL
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/03 14:24:12 (permalink)
Fisherlady thank you and yes, we intend to stay put at our home for the suggested 14 day quarantine unless we absolutly must go out.

Geez all I need, is test positive for the virus and I'd be all over national TV...... 😳BTDT the Snowbird test positive, spreads Covid-19 from the deep south through the Great Lakes. 😕

Besides, it is flu season and I want "nothing" to do with that either.

Heck the pollen is about to go berserk and that's bad enough.

Fisherlady stay well, our thoughts and prayers are with those, working the front lines.

bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1998
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/03 15:21:14 (permalink)
Good to hear you arrived home safely.

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

JM2
Expert Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/03 18:20:08 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
JM I just checked the weather in the Dakota's ..... not my kind of "snowbirding" thankyou very much. Maybe I can swing by in a couple of months or two. 🙃

Yeah, I hear you on the weather. I left up there the end of January, and had my fill of winter by then. I don't plan on heading up there till June, maybe a little earlier if weather looks good. I'll definitely be up there for the Salmon fly and Giant Golden Stone hatch. Always fun throwing the big dries around.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/04 16:32:45 (permalink)
JM we still have Montana on our bucket list then another visit to Yellowstone. This trip will definitely be late summer to very early fall.

Running from those stupid snow storms was kinda fun cause I won.

Not interested in giving ole man winter a chance to get even.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/04 16:50:08 (permalink)
Took a little trip to see what kinda condition the condition was in.

Dad burn Flotilla at the Espeyville Causeway.

On both sides to boot and I ain't never seen the parking lot this full on a normal Saturday.

Heck, for chyts and giggles I wanted to stop, load up my surf rod and lob 4 oz lead weights off the overpass. Even had a few Fishbites left over for bait.

Then common sense took over and reminded me some them dudes might have sumpthin to lob back at me so, I thought it be best to minded my own bidnez.

Tell all y'all what though, in Andover the BP (that other place too) is gaugin folks a $1.89 for reg gas and in Kinsman at the Gulf, those folks is only gettin $1.45. Plus, those folks is washing down the pump handles, the touch screens and the keys. How gooder is that.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/04/04 20:57:41

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/04 16:50:08 (permalink)
😣oooopsy again.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/04/04 21:12:05

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1111
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/06 19:36:28 (permalink)
Welcome back! Now git your azz back in the house for the next 2 weeks 😜...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/04/06 20:27:28 (permalink)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Welcome back! Now git your azz back in the house for the next 2 weeks 😜...

OooooooK..... I'Mmmmm sorry😞

Thanks for the welcome.

Stay well, tight lines.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About..... Again🤗 2020/05/04 21:50:09 (permalink)
UH OHHHhhhhhh.

Video should play, hopefully.

I didn't watch.... sounds scarry.😵

https://www.cnn.com/video...sive-us-ndwknd-vpx.cnn

Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Jump to: