Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
2019/10/23 08:54:16 (permalink)

Bait Meetings.

DEC Announces Lake Ontario Fisheries Public Meetings

Biologists Will Discuss Status of Lake Ontario's Alewife Population

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos today announced upcoming public meetings on the status of Lake Ontario's alewife population and the salmon and trout fisheries it supports. Public meetings will be held during November in Oswego, Niagara, and Monroe counties. An online meeting will also be held to provide additional opportunity for public participation.
"Lake Ontario and its tributaries provide world-class salmon and trout angling opportunities," Commissioner Seggos said. "Salmon and trout fishing in Lake Ontario has been outstanding this season and DEC remains committed to ensuring that the ecological, recreational, and economic benefits of this sport fishery are sustained through science-based management practices."
Alewife are small forage fish that make up a significant portion of salmon and trout diets in Lake Ontario, especially Chinook salmon. During the meetings, biologists from DEC and the United States Geologic Survey will present the latest science that will help guide DEC and the Province of Ontario determine trout and salmon stocking levels for 2020. The public will have the opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback.
Meeting dates and locations are as follows:
Wednesday, Nov. 6: 6:30 - 9 p.m., Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus in the Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, Rochester, Monroe County.
Thursday, Nov. 7: 6:30 - 9 p.m., Pulaski High School auditorium, 4624 Salina Street, Pulaski, Oswego County.
Wednesday, Nov. 13: 6:30 - 9 p.m., Cornell Cooperative Extension Building, 4487 Lake Avenue, Lockport, Niagara County.
Thursday, Nov. 14: 6:30 - 9 p.m.: This meeting will be conducted online. To join the meeting, click here. If asked for a meeting number or a password use the following: Meeting number: 641 790 213, Password: PCVMcPX3
Upon joining the meeting, the caller will be prompted to connect to audio using their computer. Those who prefer to connect to audio via phone may do so by calling this toll free number: 1-844-633-8697, access code: 641 790 213.
Those who cannot attend a meeting can still provide comments via email at  fwfishlo@dec.ny.gov. For further information contact Chris Legard by calling (315) 654-2147 or by mail to: DEC Lake Ontario Unit Leader at the Cape Vincent Fisheries Station.

7 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Bait Meetings. 2019/11/09 19:50:21 (permalink)
    Just read an interpretation of what happened recently with a Fishery folks report.
    Sounds like bait is still the defining issue as there simply just aint enough of it- likely to result in further stocking reductions.
    Cold over the past few years has been the issue and young bait and spawning have suffered as the result.
    Always about the bait.
    Like the writer indicated- its still a great fishery - just not like it used to be.
    As it seems to always be about expectations when fishing I will have to adjust mine and will, therefore,  still have a good time.
    Guess those really were 'the good old days" - looks like they may not repeat anytime soon with bait cycles and resulting predator cycles being what they are, even if weather patterns get warmer quickly.

Getting real tired of all this global warming.
    Now somebody is gonna try and tell us the cold weather patterns over the past several years ARE because of 'global warming'.
    Please refrain from the bovine field spatter and try and stay on point   lol.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2019/11/09 20:37:59
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bait Meetings. 2019/11/10 06:08:15 (permalink)
    The good old days were gooder (sorry BTDT ) for a couple of reasons, sort of a double whammy.  Back 30 + years ago, the overall bait population was still massive, the salmon had not yet completed the original goal of the project, eat the alewife down so that they are not a shoreline nuisance for the non fishers who also use the Lake.  Predation combined with reduced nutrient inputs since the dressinid mussels invaded the lake have definitely resulted in a lowered population of alewife, so there is a reduced carrying capacity for predators.  Also during this timeframe, the charter captains and other recreational boat anglers have refined their techniques on the lake so that they are more often successful than not, while 30 + years ago, very few actually brought limits of salmon back, and many relied on Lake Trout as an easy fix for their guaranteed fish policy.  It is my belief that at least part of this success is due to a more continuous hunger on the part of the predators, they are finding bait but not quite enough to be completely "full" so they hit well on most any rig you get out there.  All of the above result in less fish to comeback to spawn, and the hatchery will have a concern that enough fish get into the hatchery for them to continue the cycle.  So while I fully expect a decision cutting the stocking, and very possibly not just limited to Kings, although that is where the predation on the alewife is greatest, I will not be surprised if there are some novel regulations for the SR that insure adequate return to the hatchery.  They have closed LFZ in the past with limited success.  While a lot of west end charter operators are clamoring for a closed season at least until egg take is complete on the SR, as the Canadians have  on the majority of their tributaries, a " delayed Harvest" season is a possibility that could be raised.  C+R until end of egg take, then a limited " cleanout the river" period of harvest, then winter limited kill steelhead fishing, might allow some recreational angling and keep the motels at least breaking even through the traditional " circus" period, but still insure that there are both spawners in the river and eggs in the hatchery.  THIS IS TOTAL SPECULATION ON MY PART, DEC HAS MADE NO MENTION OF ANY POSSIBEL DECISIONS.   The Bi national Panel call last Monday was virtually the same as the presentation at the meeting in P-town Thursday, I was on the call and at the meeting.  So it still remains to be seen how deep they will drive the knife, but looking at the data (and there is still a webinar coming up this next Thursday,  try to watch even just for the 30-45 minutes that Steve Lapan, Brian Weidel and Mike Connerton will spend going through their sections, so you can gain some appreciation for just how serious this "deficit" is looking) it is obvious that some action is needed, like castor oil.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Bait Meetings. 2019/11/10 08:12:52 (permalink)
    I can remember 30 years you would fish Oswego. The deal was put a treble hook on cast and rip in catch an alwife and use it for bait repeat as needed. There were that many. The runs have gotten shorter with less fish. Abundant fish in early November was the norm not now. There is an issue, but I think it will get worse and never get "better" like the past. I personally don't mind and  to tell the truth, less people, less garbage, less of a poop show. Contrary to popular thought Pulaski will survive and still be there , albeit with a few less hotels and lower paying jobs. I do miss ''the good olé days'' but like everything they peter out and the only thing good and old is you.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bait Meetings. 2019/11/10 08:41:18 (permalink)

Think about it--- cold weather affecting bait spawn is one large issue and here we are in the midst of the decision making time and there is a 'polar vortex' hitting the area.
    Bait isn't an option, it MUST recover for any fishery to continue-IMHO hard controversial decisions may well be correct and should be supported- dont see it coming back in my lifetime but will enjoy whatever is offered.
    Think Lucky is right about the possibility of some drastic changes in the future.
    Clint we agree that Pulaski may suffer and that my favored November fishing just aint what it was.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2019/11/10 08:47:13
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Bait Meetings. 2019/11/10 09:26:00 (permalink)
    r3 no way do I want to think about cold weather and this "polar vortex" can just stay to heck muup, at the north pole.

Weather dude says temps to be 23 degrees below average when the stupid vortex comes to my little piece of Penn's Woods.😫

Oh yeah..... leave that stupid "lake effect" snow in the stupid lake too.😡

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bait Meetings. 2019/11/10 10:40:36 (permalink)
    Lucky- I could see them not changing the lake take very much ,if at all.
    Every fish taken out there means more bait makes it through the season.
    Fish out there come from various sources too.
    When the remainders run though its another story, no bait impact.
    Egg take to continue the fishery itself is the dominating issue- not our fun.
    That said there is a huge commercial interest in touring  dollars for guides, towns and the State that must be factored into the equation - not necessarily what biologists may really want but in order for them to have support with things they can get passed.
    Once the survivors hit the river systems in US and Canada a much different position will likely be taken on their removal from the system- now their offspring  must be preserved for the future.
    No matter the amount of lake take it seems enough will Run to continue the various fishes.
    Could see something on the SR like no keeping any fish till after or during the Columbus clown show- then a return to what we have today. As long as it may last- lol.
    Imagine little  early slashing and chucking down low because few will show up as they cant keep any.
    No fishing Trout brook or Orwell, no UFZ  all for natural spawn, no keeping Steel or browns.
    Who knows??
    post edited by r3g3 - 2019/11/10 10:43:28
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bait Meetings. 2019/11/10 15:34:29 (permalink)
    I don't think they will change limits on the lake except if the consensus is to cut steelhead to 2, which is the change in the pipeline currently. The King is indicated in the FCO's and in recent DEC statements as the centerpiece of the lake fishery, and the manager are committed to maintaining the trophy aspect, but on a good day an angler could still take three kings out in the Lake.  I am not sure how much they can do in an emergency regulation, but they were able to close the LFZ, so they might be able to issue an emergency order to restrict harvest if the egg take looked threatened by not enough fish reaching the hatchery.  But this water is a ways down the river from where we are now!

I  got pinned up 15 minutes before I had to leave last Friday, on and quickly off.  There were fish around, very shiny, maybe the "normal" November run is just a little late this year, and the winter is definitely early.
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/11/10 15:35:38
    Jump to: