Helpful ReplyBest Western PA Walleye Lake

Author
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2019/09/22 09:24:01 (permalink)

Best Western PA Walleye Lake

Does anyone have any opinions on the best Western PA lake for walters?  Obviously, Pymy and Erie are the the tops, but is there any other decent waters?  I would love to hear people's thoughts...
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/23 08:34:38 (permalink)
Look at the WW/CW stockings. Lakes that still get walleyes is your best bet.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/23 09:07:40 (permalink)
You've named the two best but Shenango River was tops for "local Walleye fishing" for years . Since the PFBC stopped stocking it in 2007 ( stupid move then)  and lately the PCB's being discovered it's basically over. They are still around but lower numbers and carry a don't eat warning (so catch & release recommended now) . I've seen nice limits of Walleye taken out "many a day" in the good years some in the 10 lb. range too ! It out produced the lake above 10x's over as far as catches. 

Too bad pollution took out one of the best for now ( thanks to the Westinghouse Co. ) , but the fish commission gave up stocking it years before that announcement so no help from them. Catching Walleye in steady numbers in other lakes in Western Pa......good luck with that one ! 
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/23 10:04:11 (permalink)
I believe they are able to reproduce on their own in many of the rivers.  If looking for a meal, then might want to check the PFBC advisories of which river to check out.  For catching walleye and not for consumption, the Allegheny below just about any of the lock and dams closer to Pgh (doesn't have to be directly below, but within a mile), should get you into fish.  Especially when the water cools a bit.  Mornings and evenings usually have a few hour window where you can catch them pretty consistently.  I haven't done it for a few years, but reports that I have read in that time seem to be the same.  Some guys on here can get them biting pretty much year round, but I always did best in the spring or fall evenings.

Any other inland lake in PA, for me at least, they are a nice bi-catch.  Any time that I focus on them, I spend hours of maybe a bite here or there.  If extremely lucky, I end up with one.  About 25-30 hours of trolling for every fish, is about my walleye success rate at Arthur.  Obviously, some have a much better rate.  Others likely worse.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/24 15:49:51 (permalink)
Woodcock will give up a few if you know where to look...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/25 21:34:00 (permalink)
Wish I had more fishing time here .............Allegheny , Kennerdale area.

SaltWaterRocks
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/26 17:58:14 (permalink)
Yough Dam has always been good to me when I targeted walleyes.  There is another lake closer to me that gives them up if you fish it after dark and can figure them out....Conneaut Lake.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/26 20:26:12 (permalink)
Pymy might be good from the boats in spring / summer but the night shoreline and wade fishing hasn't been good for several years now for some unknown reason.  Lots of shutout trips for me and many others that went steady . Strange because 2016 was decent all spring for night time walleyes....we did well......maybe our timing was bad or way off ...but nobody I seen and talked to did very well wading this past season.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/27 10:09:38 (permalink)
    Conneaut Lake as I understand it is no longer stocked with Walleye's. It is a shame because there were fishermen that targeted them there. I was ice fishing with my son when he was about 12 years old that would be 14 years ago.  An older gentleman told my son where he could jig up an eye. Well just before dark my son started jigging a sweedish pimple and caught an 19" eye his first legal eye through the ice.
   That said I doubt any Western Pa lake gives up as many eyes as Pymy, unless Erie is included.
    This thread is getting me thinking a Pymy trip is called for.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/29 09:03:48 (permalink)
I was wondering if Conneaut was still stocked with Walleye ...I didn't think so . The PFBC Inland Walleye program is worthless IMO. Just a fancy title for we are stocking "way less " Walleye in western Pa. ....what a weak program in today's time ! 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/29 10:37:33 (permalink)
One only need read past walleye stocking schedules to see what and where changes have been made.

One only need read biologist reports to see where & why the changes where made.

Or one can talk to the PFBC for a load of BS as to why they have all but destroyed the fishing we oldsters have all come to know and enjoy.

Does it not make you wonder why the Shenango River below the lake was fishable then not fishable then suddenly wonderful for stocking trout and now once again, not good for any fishing.

PCB's have been in those waters for years and yes Westinghouse was responsible for polluting the river but how is it, the only time PCB's are a concern is when that "boogeyman" serves the interest of the PFBC.

People have been eating the fish from that river for years before, during and after Westinghouse. Would it be a surprise to learn many of those same people continue catching and consuming fish from that same river? So, if that is true, and there exist such a danger then why is fishing even allowed? Does the PFBC really have a concern for the health of the angler or does the PCB boogeyman just serve the agenda of the PFBC.

Least not forget the river serves as a source of public water. Oh silly me, the PCB only affects the fish that consume mud dwelling bugs cause that's where the PCBs are found.

Thank goodness nobody wades or plays in the river stirring up that mud.

Speaking of mud might runoff from rain/snow/ice stir the mud or is that brown water solely from surface runoff?😕

Now in my defense, I believe the dangers of PCB's do exist but just what are the "true" dangers and what should all the agencies (including the PFBC) be doing to assure full and total protection of the public?

I know, post signs warning people not to eat the fish.🙄

Before going about my merry way, do not wild animals, say the elusive PA White-tailed Deer, drink from the Shenango?

Any "Do Not Eat The Animals" signs posted where hunting is permitted along the polluted section of water. (keep in mind, deer do roam) Wait.... silly me the PGC has their own boogeyman called CWD.

Goodtimes and tightlines.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/09/29 10:47:15

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2143
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/29 10:47:57 (permalink)
A couple years ago I went to Gouin Lake waaaaaay north in Canadia. It was a fly in lake. Middle of NOWHERE. I bought my license and read the book. There was a fish consumption warning. Or was it a warning to keep tourists from fishing the lake out?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/29 20:48:10 (permalink)
Just making a trip like that would be so super. Jump to the out-n-about board, I'm all ears.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/30 11:31:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2019/10/01 14:01:51
All the great lakes carry fish consumption warnings ...some fish (usually bigger ) carry a don't eat warning . Yes even the tasty Walleye and Perch are under eating advisories .

Yes we in the Shenango Valley drink that river water everyday for years now , yet it's advised not to eat the fish from there ...some things in life make no common sense to me . The Aqua Water company says the PCB levels in the river are below federal standards , so something isn't adding up to me .

Local catch of the day  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/30 11:53:18 (permalink)
Capt, nice pics. Those fish look, none the worse for wear.

The river?

SaltWaterRocks
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/09/30 17:53:52 (permalink)
If memory serves, Conneaut Lake was last stocked in 2014.  Still a fair number running around.  It is a tough one to fish, but very rewarding when you catch.
Food for thought; did you know they stock the sanctuary waters of Pyma with similar numbers to the main lake?
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2143
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/10/03 20:06:45 (permalink)
Cap'n I read a ton about PCB's over the years and If I get the gist of it the PCB'S work their way up the food chain starting with the little buggy critters in the mud. I talked to an old timer selling 3Cu buttons at Walnut one time and he laughed at me saying he's been eating fish out of Erie for more than 70 years and still kickin. Who knows?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
KingKool
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/10/03 20:26:18 (permalink)
If you can get in there.......Deer Valley YMCA camp's lake. 
Never caught any trophies, but more than my fair share of legal size keepers.........

Used to go there in the mid 80's. Throwing Erie Dearies out of a row boat. More fish than you could handle.....

Problem is, it's private.  

Would love to find a way to get back in there to fish for ANYTHING.

post edited by KingKool - 2019/10/03 20:29:03

4 out of 3 people don't understand fractions.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/10/03 21:20:29 (permalink)
I think the PCB thing is more about the PFBC worried about Edgar Schnieder, more than trying to save the public. PCB is a known carcinogen, so they have to be overly cautious on the warnings or would open themselves to the talcum powder ambulance chasing idiot that will do whatever he can to get on TV. Like anything, some people can smoke 3 packs of cigarettes per day for 50 years and not have issues. Someone else can get lung cancer from second hand smoke. I’d imagine most people are somewhere in between. Like everything, do in moderation and likely okay. But never know. Do you think fish from China even gets inspected for PCBs?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/10/04 08:25:53 (permalink)
You make a good point Pork.

Let me tell you there was no river better fishing for Walleye than lower Shenango over the years . There were days I personally landed over 20 Walleye in one trip (not bragging) . Not saying all were legal but good steady action especially in the very early spring months. Most times when fishing Shenango you caught Walleye ....getting skunked was rare !  Night fishing or even day fishing one would catch walleye along with a nice mix of other species. It was a excellent fishery for many a fisherman local and travelers . No boat needed just wading boots !

Trying to find comparable fishing locally since the PCB demise ....good luck .
So sad that young fishermen as well as others will not have the opportunity to enjoy good local river fishing the way it was meant to be . It's not 100% over but it's future looks bleak .

Lower Shenango also was one of the best Trout waters around ....lots of room to fish and excellent wide fast riffles and tailout waters and open all year !  Excellent Trout water for fly and spin fishing......gone ! 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/10/16 19:15:06 (permalink)
"Take me to the river".....Talking Heads song( )
Drop me in the water !

Anybody can catch Steelhead ....but Carp and Catfish ...now that's fishin !....lol

66 years young and still enjoying fishing.....it's all good !  

Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Best Western PA Walleye Lake 2019/11/06 19:27:47 (permalink)
Ha awesome Capt

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
Jump to: