Salmon trip

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 10:53:14 (permalink)
Good luck- don't push it with the injury.

Just read a Niagara river report- -- worse than the Sr, they too thought great lake fishing would indicate a good river run- not to be- some pros are cancelling trips.
Something aint right out there.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/15 11:02:22
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 11:28:55 (permalink)
From the Salmon River Fisheries management plan  released in 2018.  Time does fly when you're having fun, eh R3G3!

"Thiamine Deficiency
Thiamine deficiency presents a major fisheries management challenge, affecting both natural reproduction of Salmonids and the survival of eggs and  fry reared at the Hatchery. Lake Ontario salmonids feed to varying degrees on alewife, an invasive preyfish that contains or produces thiaminase. Thiaminase destroys thiamine (vitamin B1) in alewife predators, and the resulting thiamine deficiency can cause early mortality syndrome (EMS). EMS is a reproductive disorder characterized by low egg thiamine levels due to poor maternal thiamine transfer, and
results in high offspring mortality. Occasionally, adult fish can also be affected by severe thiamine deficiency which
may result in death prior to spawning, as was the case for steelhead in the fall/winter of 2014."
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 11:37:34 (permalink)
At least one writer on the Niagara has postulated that maybe all the west end fish were caught in the spring and early summer.   There has also been a lot of chatter about the possible effects of the captain and mate keeping limits that are then  distributed to the clients, a violation of the F+G laws the way I read them.  And then  there are the guys taking parties out deep now for steelhead and 2 year olds, that is like pulling your carrot patch when they are still baby carrots and still expecting to fill the larder later in the season. 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 11:40:38 (permalink)
The Doctor told me that once the scabs fell off by themselves, I could fish.  I'll definitely be molly coddling the hand, going to work on my left handed roll casts, but I've almost burned the premium portion of my pass, I want to get out even if I just take pix with my phone.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 12:49:07 (permalink)
Schizammm- 19 ooops-2014 ???
My how time flies-or am getting tooo old to remember stuff.
1987 was my first time up for Steel-the Shohari Creek bridge on the Throughway had collapsed prior to the trip.
Had been up for Kings a couple of seasons before.

Seems a 20% reduction of stocking is really only a 10% gross reduction as half the fingerings come from natural spawn IMHO.
There was, however, a  severe lack of beds where I fished and VERY few deads seen.
Hopefully the zones have a lot of beds for a natural spawn.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/15 14:56:00
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 17:17:00 (permalink)
Well I hit down from the trestle, down from Pineville and the LFZ today and it was bad. I saw 1 fish at each of the first two spots and several at the LFZ,  spending 1.5 to 2 hours at each place. To say it was bad would be an understatement............

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 20:27:22 (permalink)
As L-13 pointed out, there have been drastic reductions on chinook salmon for quite awhile now. I can't recall them off hand anymore but do know it was hit hard again in 2017 and continues to decline by a % .They keep chopping away at that number citing natural reproduction and lack of forage.
The mature salmon are not going belly up on the bottom of the lake. They are not showing a lack of food for those harvested in the lake and just hitting anything that swims.
Yes they are being harvested in the lake in great numbers. Better technology in equipment ( maybe better than the dec , lol ) and a huge amount of recreational charters and fishers. Who really cares if the captain and mates keep their limits also ? There are 6 people on the boat. Times that by 3 , plus trout. Daily and even twice daily, in a 5 month season, lot of dang fish being caught out there.
So in these given stocking reductions, the tribs guys get what's left..
You guys that been on the river see the results, not me. Let's just say, 500 ppl fish and 100 people limit out by whatever means .. sloppy seconds and thirds get very depressing....

Buckle up
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/10/15 20:32:06

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 20:39:38 (permalink)
More like 500 people and 450 limit out by any means.
Downriver is an absolute snag fest and the rest aint much different  imho.
They oughta knock off the pretend and go back to Michigan Crickets- -maybe they would limit out sooner and get the hell off the banks so the 50 of us can have some peace.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 20:55:19 (permalink)
r3g3
They oughta knock off the pretend and go back to Michigan Crickets- -maybe they would limit out sooner and get the hell off the banks so the 50 of us can have some peace.

I will add , I could have ''caught fish''.  There are spots I did not go today where I could of ''hunter gathered'' if I chose.  I had tons of room except boat traffic in both river spots and these are usually prime productive spots

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/15 21:07:24 (permalink)
r3g3

Well my only response is that 50 people I know don't go due to the other 450 leaving only 50 fish left for us.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/22 18:38:14 (permalink)
750 today -plus runoff over 900 at Pineville----GOOD
 With recent rains and a bit more water whatever is coming-cept the ever coming Steel-should be now or never .
Still think its too late for much of a King run though.

Talk of some more Browns but not seeing much on my favorite- Hos.

A bit more Steel action and will try and get back up in bout 2 weeks.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/22 18:39:40
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/22 19:50:01 (permalink)
Hope it doesn't go up too much more. Going Sun-Tues. . DSR on Mon., the rest of the time in the cheap seats. Maybe Tues. too down low, see what happens Mon. Hopefully find some trout.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/23 08:34:22 (permalink)
The Cohos ran big time back in September.  I saw Griz last week, and he says they are stacked like cordwood in UFZ.

I'm up Tues- Friday next week.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/23 08:58:58 (permalink)
Yea-  missed the quick Ho push and have hoped for more of them to run. 
Never even saw one on a rope my 2 trips.
Used to find them in upper regions in November and have even seen them fresh dead in Kiddie one February so the one early push shouldnt be all there is imho.
Heck they have even been known to have BIG pushes sometimes in Sept.

post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/23 09:25:58
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/23 18:56:15 (permalink)
I do miss the secret spot.
Had some of my best days ever with all species since its inception.
It got zoo like becoming puckerbush creek and driftboats on side of road. I've found tents camped in woods on 3-31 and a nation of spey.
If things start to return to normality and a craze my subside in subsequent years due to that 1 fish may swim the tributary, I'd be drawn back.

Hope everyone that fishes has a field of dreams too

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/25 18:32:06 (permalink)
Ran through old reports of mine and find a lot of good fishing for all species in Mid Nov- not always but often good.
This combined with high waters, cooler weather, Steel beginning ( albeit late and slow) and a captain report of lots of Kings still outside the river.
Can always hope for an improvement and this may be it. I don't expect anything HOT but an improvement will be appreciated.
Nov has always been kinda my favorite time, not so many fish but generally far fewer fisherolk chasing them.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/25 18:35:18
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/26 08:51:47 (permalink)
That should start today, Northern Zone Gun Season opened this morning.
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/26 10:18:15 (permalink)
  Well, that may be as good a reason as any to  empty out the 5 overstuffed boxes of steel flies. I didn't have to tie a single fly, just some touch up sharpening on a little rust, tighten down  some loose thread heads. Of course, none will work.  We looked at  two places between Camden and  Altmar.  We really love where we live- great people, pretty scenery, good fishing, I built my own  extremely  efficient  house with a radiant heat system of my design, and the small town is exceptionally gifted with talented people that gravitated to it. Hard to leave. Says a lot about what I think of the SR that I considered moving.  Since I no longer have my parents to care for, and our daughter likes to do her own T-Day, I think we'll be on the river T-Day, and work depending, some in between, too. Happy November. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/26 11:26:18 (permalink)
Always have liked the drive in and out along the road between Camden and Altmar.
Very scenic clean and nice.
Camden IMHO is a very photogenic, clean  country town.
That main street is right outa a country living magazine.
BIG SNOW there piled high in the lots till mid May  lol
Also a very reasonable drive over to the SR.
A nice straight Country shot up to the Tug areas behind the Reservoir  when going out the back way too.
Good luck Charlie- hope you find what your looking for.

post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/26 11:29:26
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/26 16:50:08 (permalink)
Trev, my town reminds me a lot of Camden, except it has mountain views  and is  within 1/2 hr.  of 5 different trout rivers and miles of creeks, minutes from 5 lakes  the smallmouth fishing in the  upper Hudson is great.  Deer, turkey, bear, moose, bobcat, fisher, martens, all in the backyard.  If I want to shop it's 25 miles to a really cool town, Saratoga, that has great restaurants.  100's of miles of snowmobile and x-country skiing trails, let alone the same in hiking trails , including the Appalachian, all close or right here. We were the only town in New York that got a federal grant to promote the economy with outdoor activities and lifestyles. I volunteered for the steering committee . We now have a town forest.  I lived in 5 different states before I was 30, this town has held me in place by choice for 30.  Once again, that says a lot about what I think of the area near the SR.  I have a nice piece of land in New Mexico, I just can't afford another place. We'd have to work there, too. 
    I got the vehicle packed, hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be somewhere on the river hoping, hoping, hoping......   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/26 18:18:40 (permalink)
Dang fichy I'm jealous, you got a place to park a RV nearby, for a few months? ummm,... during summer? 😁

Congratulations👍

No need to worry about all the fishing areas you mentioned... I don't spot burn🙄 Honest😬

Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/31 09:45:33 (permalink)
Hey Charlie- how was the trip to SR ??
Thinking of a couple of days in a week or so before our Deer season with my youngest son.
Might try the noodle with sacs this time around.
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/31 12:46:04 (permalink)
Actually left the river a day early to go check out (hike to, not fish) a few  brookie ponds in the western dacks. One worth returning to! I only saw  a few zebras, ones I saw hooked were black upriver and in the belly. I heard there were steel in the upper, but you'd have to really  hunt. I talked to a number of guys from up to 8 hours away that said this is their last trip. A guy above me in the DSR landed a nice steel sideways with the usual marble and a midge. The Spey guys I was around and all those trying legally got zip.  I'd estimate I saw several hundred man hours without a fish.  I don't know what mid-river was like, maybe better.  Unfortunately, I don't fish for serenity or scenery, if I ain't catching I ain't happy. I really should have gone to the coast, from now on I'll stick with it. I'm not making a statement on how many fish, or what methods to use on the SR, I'm saying, for me, it wasn't good. Going less and less for me has taken its toll. I'm about clueless. If you know what your doing, there's probably fish to be caught. My confidence level for the SR has gone into negative numbers. So, as this ain't my personal blog, I'll  just wish others best of fishing and thanks for the info and encouragement. Maybe next year. You'll do alright, Trev, you got the skills. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/31 13:16:32 (permalink)
 Thanks for the report  Charlie- might try bluegill fishing in the local reservoir with the kindergartener kids instead-lol.
Pretty much as I thought- sideways fish being reported- although, in reality, a certain run with a certain rock or two are calling.
Although they try and put a pretty bow on it even the DSR reports stink lately.
Not surprised to hear guys saying 'last trip'- after reading over many years of my reports there is a general trend over the last few for progressively poorer fishing.
Have been saying for a while that- unfortunately- Pulaski may see change.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/31 13:24:01
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/31 18:36:28 (permalink)
I'm with you fichy. If in not catching fish in a setting like that I'm not very happy.
Glad you explored some pond. If ever in the mood, check out burge pond above crane.
Pharoah wilderness is kinda busy a peak times, there are tons of trails and bushwacks to nice places too that get no pressure. Crane pond rd is not for faint of heart to drive into but can be done.
Long trail access off 78 is all hike in.

As for fishing myself.
It really is about my surroundings. I don't care how many fish are piled up anywhere, I can't no longer tolerate D- bags. There are usually plenty in a crowd.
Like you maybe, we go to our go to places knowing the times and places to have an enjoyable time.
I used to hunt public areas where deer were a plenty. Opening day sounded like Vietnam and most everyone was loading their trucks with game. Wouldn't catch me there now or the last 33 years. I'm at peace with my outdoors activities.
20 weeks of walking on water ahead 😀

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/31 19:09:37 (permalink)
I should had a report but it was not to be. I walked into my spot at about a mile only to find the top section of my pole was gone (4pc) a trip back to the car confirmed my fear that I had snagged it on something and it pulled off. The pole was not strung, my bad , my fault. I walked there and back again with no luck. At that point I was wet and tired and with the deluge starting I just went home dejected. A quick call to TFO and they said it would indeed be covered by the lifetime warranty. It will cost $35 plus shipping there  , but it will be replaced and they will check over the pole, there was a loose eye that I rewrapped and they will fix that too. I saw absolutely  NO ONE in my walking there, back twice.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/31 19:19:40 (permalink)
Bummer Clint. At least you got a walk in the park. I envy the local folks that while it's a wasted time, from my point it's a 3 plus hr one way road trip.
I'm paring down on my wasted times in a vehicle as best I can.

Hope you give us a good report this weekend while I sit in a tree

Tracker12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Salmon trip 2019/10/31 20:26:49 (permalink)
8 of us fished the DSR last week for 3 days.  It was very tuff fishing.  We did manage fish the first two days but not many.  Saturday we fished the Meadow and did Pretty well with most of the group landing 4-5 each.  But those were all taken in the morning early then the bite dried off.  
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Salmon trip 2019/11/01 09:15:16 (permalink)
Thanks for the accurate report- glad you got into some.
Have found that -even in the best of times- Steel are tough to catch, although some days can be great.
When its tough down low its tougher upriver IMHO until they start to stack as time goes on.
Seems that most species this uncommon year are gonna continue to be thin.
Gotta keep expectations low.
That said your last morning is the stuff that keeps ya coming back-GREAT.

Ya never know with Steel till the season gets going, they certainly didn't pile in this time with the Kings.
Have been up in years where one Steel in a couple of days was a real good trip and others where they were on my little blue sacs on and off for hours.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/11/01 12:35:57
rock77
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Salmon trip 2019/11/01 12:42:21 (permalink)
Was planning on coming up this weekend. Haven’t been up there when the water came up this high. Is it still fishable?
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to: