Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9286
  • Reward points: 0
2019/08/12 10:05:55 (permalink)

Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁

I know yinz is all been eager to hear how things been progressing with our new location here in Penn's Woods.

Well let me tell all ya all, it's been fun most of the time.

Our new (to us) home provides "a place for everything" and hopefully in another year or two "everything in it's place" or flea market or yard sale or sumpthinπŸ˜•

Just a stone's throw (ok, so maybe slingshot) from infamous Pymie (a/k/a; Pymy) it takes me longer to hook boat and trailer then to drive to one of three different launches and someday, I hope to test that theory out. (maybe when everything is in it's place (or the dump or sumpthinπŸ˜•))

Speaking of everything in it's place we had a new parking area put in for the "Mobile Mancave". Reason being, we won't have to pay storage fees, easier access to clean and maintain the unit plus, I only need walk a short distance to find a place to sleep when I've made the better half angry. (weekly occurence(err..biweekly😞))

Anyway I thought it be nice to keep the batteries charged, pre-trip fridge cooling, plus test other features like the electric hot water heater etc, before leaving for a trip. In addition, the AC units need more than a 15 amp extension cord and no way am I sleeping in a travel trailer, this time of year, without AC... bi-weekly or not!!!😞

So, all dressed in my 'MrFixIt' suit πŸ‘· and without saying a word, went directly to my work (hmmπŸ€” that sounds familiar?) putting in a 240 volt 50 amp RV service.

Annnnnnd without further ado, cause inquiring minds wanna know.....πŸ™„

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/12 10:23:42

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/12 10:16:19 (permalink)
cont. from above (cause the file was tooo big (stupid file))

Dam... forgot to take a 'done' pic.πŸ˜‡

The gooder part...... beside it works I mean, I'm still here to tell yinz about it.

I know... I know.... silly me, right??😬

But just wait til the next project..... combo washer/dryer in the "MobileMancave".

Hee he... never know, could be bi-MONTHLY sleepouts.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/12 10:48:19

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/12 14:09:09 (permalink)
nice work

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 371
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/12 16:54:03 (permalink)
Doesn't look like that adjustable wrench sees much work.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/12 21:03:11 (permalink)
Thanks rippin, muchly appreciated.

The gooder part, it didn't goπŸ™ˆ KA-BLEWIE πŸ’₯when I turned it on.😝

emitch that was my adjustable left handed metric wrench and it only gets used for special occasions.😁

Trouble is, it ain't gonna be worth a hoot on my next project getting this thing (168 pounds) stuck in that little closet back there.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/12 21:05:03

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/12 21:11:14 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks rippin, muchly appreciated.

The gooder part, it didn't goπŸ™ˆ KA-BLEWIE πŸ’₯when I turned it on.😝

emitch that was my adjustable left handed metric wrench and it only gets used for special occasions.😁

Trouble is, it ain't gonna be worth a hoot on my next project getting this thing (168 pounds) stuck in that little closet back there.

Congrats on the "no Kla-blewie"!  Always a good thing, lol.

Funny, I have a right handed wrench that looks just like that! 

Best tools for getting that thing into a camper closet is a willing neighbor who will work for a beer or two... along with a crow bar and a shoe horn! 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/12 22:01:40 (permalink)
Fisherlady the wrench certainly was no help at all on this project. Stupid wrench!!

Neighbor thingy didn't work out, not enough room for two people.

But the shoehorn sure was a good idea.πŸ˜›

And guess what..... it didn't go πŸ’₯Kaaaa-BLEWIEπŸ’₯ when I turned it on.πŸ™‰

Made the wife throw a load of laundry in the thing and by golly, it works. Hee he, when that sucker shifts into high speed spin, folks outside the RV gonna wonder what's going inside.😜 I'll need hang out my favorite sign.. "When this trailer is a rockin, don't come a knockin"

P.S. That's not rust on the wrench. I used the tool one time to tighten connections on an airless paint sprayer. That's actually stain I was spraying on my log home.

Lesson learned, never use a left handed wrench to tighten right hand fittings. Righty tighty, lefty loosie.πŸ™„
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/12 22:13:05

Attachment(s)

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1282
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/13 08:02:20 (permalink)
What's more impressive than the hardly used wrench is that you had a greenlee knockout set. :)
Looks good 

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/13 08:17:33 (permalink)
Haa ha... good eye Mike and thank you. Greenlee and I go back a few years.

Felt good, 😒 bringing some of my favorite tools out of retirement.

Stay tuned ..... "THE WATER FILTER" coming soon, to a blog near you.πŸ™„
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/13 08:33:19

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 10:44:46 (permalink)
OK... I know yinz ain't gonna believe this but there's sumpthin I don't know😳 'but', about to become expert on yet, another subject. Just as soon as I learn from other experts.

The subject (betcha thought I'd never ask) is E-Z Pass. I've plenty of experience using the pass as a driver of the "BigTrucks" but have never held my own personal account.

Searching the internet provides web sights by PENNDOT, as well as agencies of other states, and they all say a personal account is "the best thing since sliced bread".

My question, has any yinz have personal experience with your own E-ZPass account and would you recommend?

Anyways, I see E-ZPass can be purchased at Giant Eagle in Greenville then one only need "register on line" to activate the thingy you stick on your windshield and away you go.

Thought I'd swing by and pick one up on my way to getting stuff for the water filter project. Which is another subject I am about to become proficient in. πŸ€—

P.S. Thanks in advance.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/15 10:47:30

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6870
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 11:09:22 (permalink)
Good stuff on getting the mobile man-cave at the homestead.  A ton of bonuses having it close by.  Hopefully you are finding time to wet a line on the lake between the new house and making room for your MMC.  Although, my guess is that the dog days aren't helping with the catching portion of line wetting.  They haven't gone all to well for me, since getting back from vacation.  Even broke a rod my last time out (Memorial Lake @ Ft. Indiantown Gap a few days ago).

EZ Pass is great for me.  I travel a good bit for work, so is welcomed.  Most states around here are compatible, check to see exactly where before you travel though.  I was in Florida in the spring, and many roads around Orlando were, but Tampa wasn't.  I found out, by getting a few extra bills from the rental car company...  They say that you aren't allowed to use in different vehicles, but I use in all of the rental cars that I get for work, and it works just fine.  If yours is registered to your truck with a 5th wheel, then it may be pre-programmed in to collect those higher rates. I would assume when you are registering it, you would note what the vehicle is.  PA is supposed to transfer to the license plate billing, but not sure when that will actually happen.  EZ Pass has lower rates than cash, which is great.  Before I had it, I would often be forced to stop and take money out of an ATM, getting charged those fees too on top of an extra stop.  For work, I can log into my account and punch in the dates that I used it and will give a nice printout for me to expense my fees.  I purchased mine in one of the machines on the Turnpike rest stop when I was planning to pull money from an ATM (close to 10 years ago), so don't remember much of that process.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3143
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 11:56:40 (permalink)
EZ Pass....agreed, just as good as sliced bread.  Wife and I have them in all three of our vehicles.  Always on the turnpike or toll 66 for something or other and always helpful on our beach trips down South.  

The toll road on Hilton Head is NOT EZpass compatible though....pffft....
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1489
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 16:45:21 (permalink)
Tolls s##k - just another way for govt to get in your wallet.
They are trying to get them here in the already overtaxed Sanctuary City known as Connecticut.
I am sure we will see great differences in Govt services when they stick us with the tolls.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 16:52:06 (permalink)
Great info guys, I do appreciate the feedback and great feedback it is.

Great to know I can printout usage statements too. Big no no in my house forgetting to get receipts for withdrawls made to the credit card. Makes for sleeping in the mobile mancave on a bi weekly bases.

Pork I especially appreciate the info for updating the truck and trailer, to cover the additional cost. Not sure I would have looked for that. Bet I'd be getting some bills for extra charges too. Ooooohee that wouldn't fly with the secretary treasurer, for sure. Plus in addition to the toll charges there is an Administration fee. Not good.😣

Eyes I read where E-Z Pass may not be accepted at certain boothes and in some cases neither is cash. Drivers are sent a bill and can pay on line. I never passed through a booth like that while driving truck so I certainly didnt know such exits existed. Hope I don't pass through one of those gates during my travels.... that sucks.

The gooder point, hearing from you, E-Z Pass is better than sliced bread.πŸ‘

Pork sorry to hear about that fishing rod, sure hope it weren't a favorite but still sucks.

As for me wetting a line, nope not yet. Truth be known, just today I purchased a new marine starting battery from Walmart. I had two 29 M's in the boat but last Dec they were transfered & now sit with a third, in the ManCave. Funny, just last week I pulled all three for testing and maintenance then reinstalled.

Starting battery not much good for anything but just that plus my running lights but hopefully I can get on the water a few times in the late evening, and search for Mr. Glowy Eyes.

Only have a couple weeks before heading to Wyoming then returning to winterize the house and heading to Gulf Shores. But before that, I'll be looking for tips on rods, reels, line and rigging techniques for some of them Gulf fishes. Speaking of which, learning one fish from the other, as well as the laws, will be a must.

Breaking laws does not make Mrs BTDT a happy camper and when she occupy's the RV, BTDT sleeps "under" the MobileSheShed.... usually, bi-weekly.😬

Thanks again guys.🍻🍻🍻

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 17:41:37 (permalink)
R3 I dont know how far it got or if it even still exists but at one time some toll road commissions leased their roads to outside sources.

PA. has been talking for years of turning I-80 into toll road and I'm thinking administered county by county.

EMitch
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 494
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 19:13:30 (permalink)
Not to change the subject, (ok, I will), why is it fare to charge cash customers more per mile than E-Z passers. I know they have to pay attendants to stand in those little booths and change money, and I understand the Turnpike's desire to eventually get rid of all of those Teamsters and bust the union, (what? you didn't know the ticket/money takers were Teamsters)?, but Jeezus! they charge plenty per mile as it is. I can remember jumpin' on at Carlisle exit 16 when comin' back from Fairless Hills empty and only payin' $4.75 for 5 axles class 4 to exit 8 at New Stanton. It costs ya $17 now with a friggin' car. What?! And yeah, the Pike was and still is under construction even then. My next trip east with a car, I'm gonna take scenic Rte 30, even over Sidling Hill to Lancaster. (I've actually done Rte. 30 over that terrain a few times each direction with an 80,000 lb. rig. Ain't pretty).

Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/15 22:09:20 (permalink)
The Ho Chi Minh Trail emitch? What a scenic route that is driving an underpowered "Farmall" pulling a set of doubles loaded to the roof with hazmat. πŸ˜›

I hear ya on the tolls too but I'm not sure, if that stands true for folk from other states. I checked the discounts for PA drivers using toll roads in other states and it sounds like we get the shaft, when it comes to their discounts.

How about driving across Ill? Tolls are different during the day then running the "GreenStamps" at night. What a scam that is.. eh?

As for the loss of jobs for toll takers in PA, that is a shame to loose jobs but I'm thinkin the positions were dropped throuh attrition. I mean, where else would they find money to raise salaries of the administration? After all, the increase in tolls was going for construction like straightening out curves and widening lanes.

BTW, they letting triples run back & forth from New Stanton to the Buckeye yet? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

OK for chyts and giggles, a 5 axle semi truck loaded to 80,000 pounds entering at the Delaware River Bridge (I-95) traveling to the East Gate (Ohio) is gonna pay $380.00 ($215.90 E-ZPay) toll charges. Now add to that (possible) NJ or NY toll charges plus cost of fuel, driver wages, etc...... BUT WAIT, is shipping always free?

P.S. Feel free changing the subject anytime. It's all Out-n-About. πŸ‘
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/15 22:37:54

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6870
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/16 09:00:46 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Only have a couple weeks before heading to Wyoming then returning to winterize the house and heading to Gulf Shores. But before that, I'll be looking for tips on rods, reels, line and rigging techniques for some of them Gulf fishes. Speaking of which, learning one fish from the other, as well as the laws, will be a must.

Check out the phone app "Fish Rules".  It is for salt water regulations only.  Not sure if they have a fresh water version.  When you set to Gulf Shores, it will show you the regulations for that area on all common species that have regulations.  It shows mostly off shore fish, but also inshore that you can target from the beach/piers/back waters.  If it doesn't show the species, then there are not regulations.  You may want to find AL salt water official regulations and cross reference to be sure though.  Many salt water regulations change yearly, due to commercial fish stocks.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/16 09:58:48 (permalink)
Pork, excellent thank you very much. Not knowing the regulations and or local species of fish does concern me.

I sure don't want any fish and game violations. "Ignorance of The Law, is No Excuse" as they say in the old country.

Not likely anyone from muup north here, would be sending me any bail. 😒

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/16 12:28:48 (permalink)
Welp..... back to the drawing board.

E-Z Pass turning out to be... not so E-Z.πŸ€”

Go Pak is for "Passenger Vehicles Only" but can be used in PA with RV's under 15000 GVW.

A phone call to the PA Pike Commission (upon holdingπŸ˜•) got me answers from a very polite operator who had to put me on hold while she sought answers to my question.

Now in my own defense, nowhere did I see any information saying the E-Z Pass I purchased was for "Passenger Cars Only" and now in defence of my own stupidity, I assumed the information provided when opening the account, would automatically cover any tolls incurred per vehicle classification (ie; 4 axles 22000 GVW, etc)

Well it might and it might not cause the operator first asked the GVW of the RV which comes in under the maxium of 15000 GVW so the GoPak will work.

Please hold.... [listening to elevator music]

[still listening]

Operator; "thanks for holding, what is the weight of your other vehicle"? I answered "10000 GVW" [elevator music]

Operator; "no you will have to upgrade to a higher class weight and that cannot be done on line".... I answered; "%*=*=Γ—πŸ˜ ! [just kidding] may I return the unopened GoPak" and she said nooooo and I said "%*=Γ·Γ—+" [elevator music] πŸ˜‰ just kidding again.

So what I gotta do is, open an account using the GoPak, then send my transponder to the PTC and in turn they will send me an upgraded transponder that can be used while towing the MobileMancave.

So what I did was call Giant Eagle speaking to the nice lady who sold me the GoPak but knew nothing about the system and ask if I might return the GoPak as it is unopened. [elevator music] No, I wasn't put on hold just elevator music eventually followed by "I think so".

Now in my own stupid defense, I failed to ask the nice lady if the GoPak "can be returned to Giant Eagle" where I bought it.

[elevator music]

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/16 20:43:34 (permalink)
annnnnnnd after traveling 25 minutes to Greenville. (stupid detour) I'm greeted at the Giant Eagle service counter by a smiling lady who informs me she called about returning the E-Z Pass annnnnnnd...... of course I can not.😣

[elevator music] annnnnnd more [elevator music]

OK so back home to place a call to the PTC and after pressing "1" for english; pressing "1" for new customer; pressing "1" for new registration; pressing "1" for not commercial account; pressing "1" [elevator music]. What the hell where's the number for music selection?

Finally a friendly voice on the other end asking me if I need help πŸ˜• to which I answered.......... yes please.πŸ€—

Well wasn't so bad and after giving info like the E-Z Pack registration number, pin number, and personal info including a credit card number the questions turned to the vehicle. Nothing about the tow vehicle, only the RV. Questions like plate number, GVW, number of tires.... yes number of tires, color make & model.

In return I was given an account number and a pin number plus instructions that a new reprogrammed transponder would be arriving at my house and when it does, I need return my transponder in the postage paid envelope included in the package.

How sweet is that, all's well that ends well except I wish I could rid this ear worm, that sounds like [elevator music]

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/19 12:50:23 (permalink)
Update..... I fired off an email to PTC just to make certain everything thing was up & up.

This morning I received a friendly response (quick too) answering my question except the response said if my RV GVW is greater than "15000 lbs".

Well what the hell I sez to my self, I'd swore the nice lady whom I spoke with on the phone said "over 12000 lbs"?? 😳 'cause I told her my 5th wheel trailer grossed 12000 lbs so she said I'd need a reprogrammed transponder which, is in the mail..... I hope.

But anyways, I sent a communication using my newly set up account and PTC app (works nice (so far)) asking if I need update my tow vehicle info ('cause the nice lady didn't ask how many tires or what color or plate # or nothin) and I'm thinkin surely the tow vehicle would add another 4 tires & 10,000 lb for a "total GVW" of 22000 lbs.

Not that I'm paranoid (just between lost & found(dam elevator music)), but I'll be traveling multiple states and I sure as hell don't need no nasty grams (or administration fees) from the toll booth police. Especially Illinois where there's toll booths for using toll booths.πŸ™ˆ
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/19 12:54:54

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/19 18:39:53 (permalink)
Hi..... guess who? [elevator music] πŸ™‰

So I get a response from the PTC and again a very helpful person (LEAVES A MESSAGE cause I missed the call😠) says I need to call the PTC with information regarding my "tow" vehicle😩 Ahaa, I sez to myself, I can access my account via the PTC app and add the info myself. 😏 So I punch in the user name and password and up pops my account. Dam, I sez to myself, impressive app and there waiting for me, a message regarding the additional info needed for my tow vehicle along with instructions to call the PTC by phone 'cause only special people can record information for transponder upgrades. Can't tell what I sez to myself unless you can read #&;#!@& and %*\/[Γ·Γ— 🀐

Stay tuned......
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/19 20:52:08

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/19 21:34:42 (permalink)
SUCCESS...……..Β  I think.
Β 
Β 
But only afterΒ  pressing "1" upteen times hoping to speak with a human being which I eventually did and it only took 6 renditions of [elevator music]
Β 
But not until I answered the same questions in the same order, regarding my RV.Β  Is your RV over 15000 lb GVW,Β  [no it's 12000 GVW]Β  what color is your RV, how many tires on your RV blah blah, yakkity smakity.
Β 
"Excuse me",Β  I said politely, "but I tried to explain the reason I am calling when you answered.Β  I have an account, I have reprogrammed transponder in shipment, I was told I had to call to update my towing vehicle"Β  [crickets] ………..Β  "OH, so you don't have an RV you want to register"?Β  [grunting/moaning]Β  "Yes I do but I have a tow vehicle, a pick-up truck that needs to be registered too"Β  [crickets]……. Β  "OH,Β  so you need another transponder"...…? [sobbing] "No I need the pick-up to pull the RV so I need to have the truck on the same account"Β  [elevator music] Β  "OH, so you don't have a RV that you drive"? …….. []Β  "No I don't drive the RV I pull it, it's a 5th wheel trailer not a motor home"...…..Β  [hello] [hello]Β  "OH, who ever registered you signed you up for an RV".....Β  [crickets]Β  "OK sir, your plate number please, vehicle make, model, year, and color".Β  OK sir anything else I can assist you with today?...…  [groaning]Β  Yes there's four tires on the truck"...… [silence]Β  OK thank you sir, would that be two axles"? Β  [silence while wiping my eyes]Β  Yes, yes that would be two axles on the truck"...… [silence]Β  "thank you sir, your account is now updated and your reprogrammed transponder is shipped".... [click]Β  "WHAT.... wait, what about the truck's GVW"?...…...
Β 
[!@#$%^&^$@*&]
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/19 23:14:02

rsquared
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2135
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/20 09:44:17 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

7' Medium action rod.  Good old Shakespeare from Walmart that cost about $26 has done me well in the MS salt.  Also have a $10 Jawbone from Field and Stream that has done just fine the past couple of years.  Point is, fishing from shore or piers, you don't need anything fancy and probably already have a rod that'll do the job just fine.  Unless of course you want a reason to patronize FishUSA again.  

I've got a couple of Penn Fierce 4000 reels that did really well in the salt - better than any reel I've ever used down there.  Both in terms of handling big redfish and standing up to the salt without going to crap.  Each with almost the full 300 yard spool 20# Power Pro braid.  A reel in that class with that much line is whatchya want.  Some folks I talk with in MS like to run 12-14# fluoro, but most use braid, including the two charter captains I've been with.  I always use a 30# mono leader, cause dem speckled troots and flounders got some sharp little teeth and often inhale your baits and will nick up your braid pretty good.  About 2' of leader tied to the braid with a barrel swivel.  With heavy line like that, when I tie on a jig head, I use the good old clinch knot, but with 4 loops around the line, instead of 6.  Get it good and moist and slide it down with your fingers.  Stick the hook into or around something solid (like the edge of a bucket or the railing of a pier) and give it a good tug to cinch it tight.  

Baits and tactics for late winter/early spring would probably be a bit different than the summer time patterns I fish.  Shrimp move well offshore in the winter, so reds and specks are keyed in more on fish than they are on shrimp, although I'm sure they'd eat something that looks like a shrimp.  Cooler nights and days will have them deep in the morning and evening, but they will move shallow to warmer waters as the day warms up, kind of like bass here in a pre spawn pattern.  

99% of the time, I'm throwing soft plastics under a bobber.  Down there, they use popping corks, but I just use the cheap orange weighted cigar bobbers from Walmart.  Gulp products are my go to - the 3" Ghost Shrimp or 3" Mantis Shrimp in chartreuse and white being my top producers.  The 3" or 4" Minnow Grub in white or chartreuse also work well.  The past couple of years, I've also starting using Matrix Shad.  I would think a more natural color might be better in the winter, and I would think slow jigging without the bobber or popping cork would probably produce more bites in the winter.  I would also look at some of the Gulp crab baits for winter time red fish.  They're a big part of the diet year round for reds, but especially in the winter.  

In the Gulf Shores area, I think you'd probably get a little more wave action and tidal movement than I see over in the Mississippi Sound, so a 3/8 oz jig head would probably be better than the 1/4 oz I usually throw.  But in the winter, I bet you'd do just as well or better finding some areas in Mobile Bay to fish, as the trout, reds and flounder move "upstream" quite a bit during the colder months.  

The Walmarts down there will have all ya need, but without knowledgeable salespeople.  As you know, small mom and pop bait shops will often help you get started with what you need, and often even point you in the right direction.  

As far as telling the species apart, fishing with those set ups will have you mostly on speckled trout, reds and flounder.  Really easy to tell those apart.  Paint lines on your rod with nail polish at the minimum lengths, and you don't have to worry about keeping a tape or rule with ya.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/20 10:46:02 (permalink)
Dave thank you very much for taking the time providing me with all that info. I'll certainly be saving your advice for future reference.

Between you, Pork, and the other guys I'm looking forward to good times and tight lines on the Gulf.

I had a different view regarding needed fishing tackle, that's for sure and I am pleasantly surprised that I have rod and reel I can take. The baits also surprising as for type, size & weight. Who knew... not me, for certain.

All I can say is, if I get 'hooked' on this surf fishing thingy..... yinz guys are gonna miss me.🐸

But first..... this stupid E-Z Pass😩

BTW "speckled troot" πŸ€”...... πŸ˜‹

Good times and tight lines.

rsquared
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2135
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/20 10:58:36 (permalink)
Well, I know how much your wifey loves to get you gift cards for FishUSA so if you wanna get a surf casting set up and chuck some stinky bait out there on the bottom with a 4 oz pyramid sinker, you could certainly do that, like you might do on the Atlantic Coast.  

The first time I went down there 20+ years ago, we were poor newlyweds in grad school, so all I had was my trout set up with 6# mono and a 1000 series class reel.  Had some 1/8 oz white jig heads and white Mr. Twisters and managed to catch quite a few flounders and smaller speckled trout.  Reds on the other hand, were not so forgiving with that small set up.  When you hook a good red, you know it.  Nothing subtle about the hit or the initial run, and 6# mono breaks easily - both the line itself and your heart.  

It really isn't too complicated.  If you can catch game fish in PA, you can catch game fish on the Gulf Coast.  Although now that I think of how many of your fishing posts end with, "Stupid fish," maybe it will be kind of complicated

As I often say, it's not really hard to get them to bite.  If you can find them.  That's the difficult part, especially without a boat.  But when you find them and they're in the mood to eat, bait doesn't matter a whole lot.  
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1489
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/20 11:46:14 (permalink)
In regard to the not so easy, easy pass.
Drop the phone, and elevator interruptions,  show up in person.
No matter how far away it is, it sure beats the frustrations of trying to do anything govt. related on the phone.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2374
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/20 15:27:54 (permalink)
btdt, I would like to add a small tip about using your freshwater gear. & that is to be sure to rinse everything off with fresh water as soon as possible, I have seen that salt do some nasty things quick. stupid salt.   sam
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2 The sequel 😁 2019/08/20 18:30:36 (permalink)
Sam thanks for the tip, I appreciate you taking the time, now if I can remember to take the time to follow your recommendation.

R3 I'm beginning to believe that's exactly what I should do.  Maybe take the RV with me and set up in the parking lot til I'm sure I have all the bases covered.   Not that I'm paranoid (because I am) but I sense that the three very nice people that I have spoken to (in assuring I'm trying to follow the rules) don't quite understand what they are doing.  Apparently there is no question on the screen asking if the RV is a towed unit or Class A, B, C motor coach?  But the system sure simplifies "how many tires does your vehicle have?  Anyways, like I explained to the folks on the phone,  I'll be traveling in various states and I just don't want no nasty grams from the toll booth police...........   

rsquared am I that obvious...….  stupid fish.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/20 18:35:33

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to: