Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations?

Author
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2019/07/25 09:15:08 (permalink)

Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations?

I know this is out of season, but I like to buy my gear before I'll need it.  I'm looking for a nice, rugged, highly durable and highly waterproof set of fishing bibs and jacket.  Uses will be for fishing in downpours in the fall and spring (and winter i guess if it's not snowing) as well as kneeling on the ice while jigging or landing fish.  There are a lot of options and I'm kind of lost as far as all the brands/models of bibs out there.  Again, my key features are absolute waterproofedness and durability.  Flotation would be great too. If anyone has any experience or suggestions to get me started and narrow down my search, I would appreciate it.  With as much as good ones cost, I dont want to make a mistake when I purchase them.  

Thanks for any help...

13 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6351
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/07/25 10:02:25 (permalink)
    Wellll, it all depends on your budget.  he stuff used by commercial fishermen in Alaska is top rated (see Deadliest CAtch)  I think the main supplier is Grunden,  pricy, yes:  but if it works in the Bearing Sea it just might work in Erie.  Check out Amazon.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/07/28 04:59:59 (permalink)
    I have a float suit bibs and jacket made by Striker.....I bought it after a minimal ice fishing season two seasons ago.....got it basically half price...no complaints,well constructed,cons a little stiff till you break it in,and a ridiculous amount of pockets on the jacket so many that you don't know what pocket stuffs in lol. I always had Gore text hunting clothes before and they worked fine.It nice to have a fishing only suit. I use this outfit basically for the ice fishing did use the jacket fishing in my boat at P.I. and Pymy this March and April....no amount of wind,cold air or rain will penetrate that material....not to be used for hunting....it a little noisy.lol
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/08/02 17:29:29 (permalink)
    Thanks guys... Any specific brands or models?
    Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 310
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/08/15 18:17:54 (permalink)
    Striker is a quality brand and can be found on the FishUSA website in late September!
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/08/15 19:45:27 (permalink)
    Thank you very much admin.   I'm thinking the Striker Trekker may be what I'm looking for and with it's lower insulation I could maybe wear it in the boat on cold spring and fall trips.  Anyone have experience with this product?
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/08/16 10:29:01 (permalink)
    I have the frabill i2 light weight suit. It too was a bit stiff when first purchased but didnt take much time to break in. Tons of pockets and padded knees. I mostly ice fish in my shanty so the lighter weight is perfect
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/08/16 13:08:34 (permalink)
    outasync,  thanks brother...
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/11/08 15:46:01 (permalink)
    For anyone interested, I ended up getting the Striker Hardwater bibs and Trekker jacket.  They were not cheap, but they seem VERY well made and quality.  The flotation was key to my decision and I'm glad I chose what I did.  Hopefully, I will not need to put it to the test.  Let's hope for some early ice....
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/11/08 16:06:25 (permalink)
     We use mostly the Columbia PFG Omni-Heat Gale & PFG force 12 bibs & jackets. Have some Mustang coveralls for when I use to waterfowl hunt. Have some RedHead Gore-Tex outfits I like a lot. Also the U.S Army cold weather parkas & pants can't be beat for the price.

Dang, the old lady brought home totes & bags ov cold weather hunting /fishing outfits out ov storage tonight. Never tried most ov 'em, still mostly new but top quality stuff. Man the technology & comfort keeps getting better & each yr. Still like some older wool Sleeping Indian Designs I've had for yrs. Lots to choose these day.  

Omni-Heat for tomorrows Perch outing.

crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/11/08 23:46:10
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/11/08 16:54:33 (permalink)
    fallschirmjaeger
    For anyone interested, I ended up getting the Striker Hardwater bibs and Trekker jacket.  They were not cheap, but they seem VERY well made and quality.  The flotation was key to my decision and I'm glad I chose what I did.  Hopefully, I will not need to put it to the test.  Let's hope for some early ice....

Great choice. As Tuna said, nice stuff. I bought mine off season and saved a bunch, love the bibbs.

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/11/09 00:09:07 (permalink)
     When it's very cold & have to sit I'll mostly use the Eddie Bauer goose down Polar Parka. It's like being in a nice big mummy bag.  

When worked in the deep freezer they supplied RefrigiWare coveralls. Didn't care for 'em that much, mustache would freeze solid with-in seconds & boots freeze to floor if didn't keep on the move. 

Sons favorite might be North Face Himalayan when out for long periods in the bitter cold. 
      This stuff takes up sooo much room!

Can't wait for Spring!!

crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/11/09 00:37:23
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/11/09 16:30:38 (permalink)
     Best day ever had on Arthur today for Jumbos all 10" & over  Ended up with Red Head Gortex for the afternoon.

crappy
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: Waterproof/Ice Bibs Recommendations? 2019/12/11 17:54:24 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    I have a float suit bibs and jacket made by Striker.....I bought it after a minimal ice fishing season two seasons ago.....got it basically half price...no complaints,well constructed,cons a little stiff till you break it in,and a ridiculous amount of pockets on the jacket so many that you don't know what pocket stuffs in lol. I always had Gore text hunting clothes before and they worked fine.It nice to have a fishing only suit. I use this outfit basically for the ice fishing did use the jacket fishing in my boat at P.I. and Pymy this March and April....no amount of wind,cold air or rain will penetrate that material....not to be used for hunting....it a little noisy.lol

I've had the Striker climate bibs for a few years, just got the climate jacket today from Fish USA, unreal how nice. Like you said, pockets everywhere. The liner is a separate jacket that can be worn alone. 289.00 is a hard pill to swallow but without a doubt the nicest piece of outdoor clothing I've ever purchased besides the bibs.

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    Jump to: