• Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2019/07/04 22:56:05 (permalink)

6 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: mayfly hatch at port clinton ,ohio 2019/07/05 07:48:55 (permalink)
    Picture worked fine.... That is just hard to imagine.  I am glad that isn't my vehicle, no way to get into it without a horrible mess unless maybe using a leaf blower on it first!  I don't want to even walk through that mess! 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: mayfly hatch at port clinton ,ohio 2019/07/05 09:09:53 (permalink)
    😵 That's Nasty.......

Hope ya dont mind Sam. I thought I'd give ya hand and get it posted. Definitely something for everyone to see.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/07/05 09:15:18

Attached Image(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: mayfly hatch at port clinton ,ohio 2019/07/05 12:36:01 (permalink)
    A few years back some friends of mine were on a wall-eye charter & ran into clouds of them on the lake.It was so bad that after getting coated with the flys they made the captain come in because those with glasses couldn't see & the flys were getting in their mouths & noses. They tried to get around them but by then it was of no use. I don't think that this is the kind of hatch that Trout fishermen dream of.  sam
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: mayfly hatch at port clinton ,ohio 2019/07/05 14:09:28 (permalink)
    Wonder why they are all over that car and one next to it but none on the cars in the back ground?That is something else,never saw a hatch like that.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: mayfly hatch at port clinton ,ohio 2019/07/05 16:41:41 (permalink)
    Inquiring minds want to know so I did a bit of research and this is what I finded out....

"Swarms of mayflies can grow so thick, in some parts of the country they often show up on the National Weather Service radar."

"Mayflies are attracted to lights and pile up at night in well-lit areas."

"The insects emerge in the summer after living most of their lives at the bottoms of lakes and rivers. When they finally reach adulthood, they take flight and only live around 24 hours. In those precious moments, they frantically mate and lay eggs in the water before they die."

"mayflies do not carry diseases. If you come across a pile, there's no need to report the stores to the health department for unsanitary conditions. The mayflies are merely attracted to bright lights and will be dead in a day or two"

"Scientists say the immense mayfly population is a good thing. The creatures require clean water to survive. Their numbers dwindle when water is polluted. The massive swarms are a sign the aquatic environment is healthy."

"The insects also give birds, fish, and spiders a big July 4 holiday feast."

From my personal memoirs I remember,
    many many moons ago, the 13th St bridge and grounds of nearby businesses in Franklin turning white from a hatch out of French Creek. Pretty cool, unless ya turned your windshield wipers on. 😒
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/07/06 11:28:00

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: mayfly hatch at port clinton ,ohio 2019/07/06 11:20:51 (permalink)
    Hexagenia Limbata, this is actually one of the hatches trout fishermen do dream about, at least when it is happening on the streams of Michigan or out on Skaneatles Lake in the Finger Lakes of NY or Lake Placid up in the Adirondacks, great dry flyfishing when they are emerging.
    Jump to: