RIP George Obrien

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2019/05/05 20:03:09 (permalink)

RIP George Obrien

I heard today George passed. Although I did not know him I enjoyed his Facebook posts. RIP

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

5 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: RIP George Obrien 2019/05/05 20:46:23 (permalink)
    George was always kind to me and a good Fisher to share water with.
    As fellow anglers, we shared laughs together. I'll always remember the time he told clients " it's that hot tuna guy ".
    Sadness indeed and healing for his family and friends.
    Peace and tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: RIP George Obrien 2019/05/06 08:54:36 (permalink)
    I would run into George every now and again at DSR.  Always willing to give advice even if you weren't his client.  Years ago I had plans to do a steelhead trip with him in late January. I was going to be in the area returning my daughter to SUNY Oswego and figured I'd do a trip.  Unfortunately the LE had dumped and was still dumping a lot of snow so I called George to cancel.  He understood my concerns and agreed to cancel saying he had three feet of snow on his deck and was expecting a few more.  I never did get to reschedule but managed to exchange emails over the last few years. 
    Rest in peace George and thank you for being a great ambassador for the SR and Lake Ontario.    
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: RIP George Obrien 2019/05/06 09:11:35 (permalink)
    Aw, shoot.  One morning in Jan. pre-Barrel fence, George had stayed parked  as there were a good amount of fish and his clients and I were having decent fishing. He fired up his on board grill and made breakfast sandwiches for his clients. I complained about the smell and you know what? He made me one and rowed it across the river.  The largest steel I've ever seen in the SR he got for a female client. I would have taken a trip with him, but kept putting it off.  I should know better. There's a regret to cherish  and memories I'll never  have. Class act, as a person, not just as a guide. My prayers go out to his family. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: RIP George Obrien 2019/05/06 09:52:27 (permalink)
    I have no idea who George O'Brien was but from what I'm reading, George would be very proud to know, he is respected and will be missed by friends he didn't know.

R.I.P George O'Brien, your legacy lives on.

Condolences to family and his friends.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: RIP George Obrien 2019/05/06 10:18:09 (permalink)
    I don't know if I crossed paths with George or not, but I always liked his book, and it is still a lot more accurate than Spyder Rybek's.  RIP.
    Jump to: