Presque Isle prespawn...

Author
skeelol
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points: 0
2019/04/24 11:02:24 (permalink)

Presque Isle prespawn...

Heading up to NY this weekend and was thinkin about stopping off in Presque Isle to get after some prespawn smallies. Is it still too early yet? Last I checked lake temps were around mid 40s. 

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

5 Replies Related Threads

bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Presque Isle prespawn... 2019/04/25 07:07:03 (permalink)
    No, not too early. It is pretty much on when the water cooperates. Head to the Park side of the main channel (assume from a boat ?), and cast off the ledge. Slower days use tubes along the sand or the good old Slugo, warmer sunny days I like to use lipless cranks and large spinners. I have not heard much on the flats of PIB yet, most of the reports I hear are still a bit deeper and moving. 

I have yet to make it out there this year (chasing lakers), but I have a good network of guys who give me the scoop. I don't start bass fishing until after the spawn and they leave the bay to their summer homes. I am not a fan of casting or dragging into spawning fish spawning grounds or nest (which is a violation of the rules). Right now they aren't bedding quite yet from what I hear. 

I wish summer was here.....they are much more exciting in 30 to 40 FOW off the crust. 
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Presque Isle prespawn... 2019/04/25 17:54:50 (permalink)
    I caught several bass on the first day of trout season....in the bay...LM and SM....I wasn't fishing for them....We caught 46 toad perch...12"-15.5"
    Water temps where 47 degrees then...in 10' fow.
    skeelol
    Novice Angler
    Re: Presque Isle prespawn... 2019/04/25 18:02:16 (permalink)
    Cool. Unfortunately no boat I'll be strictly shore w/ hip waders if need be. I was told all the smallies are in Misery bay but I couldn't find em there last summer, only caught one in a bay way before Misery. I got a good amount of LMB around Crystal point but nothing much of size. I think the plan this time is to drive all the way to the entrance channel, it looks like I should have no problem fishing the ledge from shore...granted I should definitely bring a net. Big fan of throwin tubes too.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Presque Isle prespawn... 2019/04/26 08:56:04 (permalink)
    I have never done much good directly in Misery Bay. I have always heard about guys getting them there, but not for me. I get quite a few on the flats off of the monument, and the shore by the monument, but seems when I turn the corner into Misery the bite stops. 

Of course, I didn't think I would catch Pellet-heads in Horseshoe bay either! We got a bunch of them several years back. 

I have most luck on the flat that comes off of the channel (park side), and the flat off of the marina. 

skeelol
    Novice Angler
    Re: Presque Isle prespawn... 2019/04/26 10:58:05 (permalink)
    Cool, headed there now. Looks like I'm in for some rain and pretty brutal wind...I don't care, there's a cold front rolling thru all weekend so I will be getting in all the fishing I can today. Hopefully be back with some pics for yas.
    post edited by skeelol - 2019/04/26 10:59:16

Jump to: