Helpful ReplyWalleye stocking facts in Western Pa.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/26 16:12:06 (permalink)
" Only Pymy remains the best Walleye producer in a 75 mile radius and the reason being it receives over 6 million stocked Walleyes annually"

Capt. you should give the lower Allegh. River a shot if you want numbers & some hogs. When ever we target Eyes there it seems to out produce Pymy for us. Mother nature working with the help ov cleaner water, No stocking either.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/26 18:22:00 (permalink)
According to Jared he hear 1463 shots on the first day of gun season.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/26 20:09:16 (permalink)
crappie I love river fishing spent lots of time on Niagara and our local Shenango.  I have fished the Allegheny up near Kennerdale some what but it's 40 miles away and shore access is a little tough. Basically I'm just learning a few spots. Daughter shares a camp there so I'm hoping to try for Walleye there a little more each year. I really like the challenge of big rivers.  I'm just wade fishing there and I know there are hogs around that river just got to put in some time. Your lucky if your close .....I'm sure it's good like you say .

That Allegheny is hard to hit good conditions runs high and muddy many a day.

Pymy is close and some years in late spring it's hot for night shore Walleyes . 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/26 20:49:59 (permalink)
River people are cool. So is fishing. Catchin even better 🍻🍻

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/26 21:22:39 (permalink)
  Yeah, that river can be great fishing one day then crazy high for over a month at a time. The worst yr. I remember was 1972?? when Agnus hit. Ruined my summer & no lakes close by for a kid. We did very well for Eyes 70's & 80's from boats lock 2 & 3 areas. A bad fish kill (just Eyes) around 1975 below lock 3 on Plub Boro side set things back at lock 2 for awhile. Just hated when chemical spills would kill the fishing for sometime. 

Early 70's was great L/M fishing with nice weed beds but very few S/M. Then a chemical spill killed the baitfish. After a couple yrs. the Smallies took over, spill didn't effect the Crayfish.

Wish I knew then when the river is super high makes honey hole areas. Only fish it a couple times a yr. anymore from shore, lots of snags but fish to be caught. 

Have a good time with your daughter even though she will probably out fish you!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to: