Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/26 19:52:00 (permalink)

What happened?

To the many regular members that used to post on the hunting forums? I don't frequent the others forums much on this board as I am not much of a fisherman. Is traffic down on the fishing forums too? Used to be able to come here and have many active hunting discussions going on at the same time. 

My rifle is a black rifle

45 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/26 21:36:54 (permalink)
    Everyone is in facebook.....
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/26 22:17:55 (permalink)
    Yes dpms, the other "PA" boards are down too.

I leave town for a couple months, and see what happens? lmao

Keep your stories comin, people do read and enjoy them.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/26 22:32:41 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    Everyone is in facebook.....

Throw taxrockz at it plz

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/27 08:33:20 (permalink)
    The few boards I am on are all down with the exception of a few 'regulars'. 
    The regs seem to be, for the most part, VERY committed to their sports.
    Seasonal folks seem to come and go during the peak seasons of their choice.
    IMHO many come in around the start of their favored time and leave right after the closing.
    It a computer thing.
    Folks use it for last minute info like water levels and weather where they intend to go.
    Only some of us are year round multisports folks.
    Also the occasional fighting and rudeness that happens chases people who are posting for info and fun OUT.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2019/01/27 09:05:45
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/27 09:56:53 (permalink)
    I believe it is the battle lines that form that turn so many off. Over time you just get weary of hearing dissenting arguments on subjects that you care about.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/27 11:06:52 (permalink)
    treesparrow
    I believe it is the battle lines that form that turn so many off. Over time you just get weary of hearing dissenting arguments on subjects that you care about.

Don't know. To me it seemed posts and traffic were the highest when there were many hot topic issues being discussed. Now, the same topics get just a few posts form the regulars that remain. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/27 21:57:37 (permalink)
    These forum sites are about all dead anymore. When a hot subject comes up too many get booted out or erased by the monitor when it gets personal....I actually enjoyed the rant readings ...made for fun reading anyway. If any spot burns appear or close to a hot fresh tip they also get warned and erased.......it's just become boring to a lot of readers ...plus FB has sucked in many . You don't even see any fishing pictures anymore like a few years ago. 
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/27 22:27:56 (permalink)
    Facebook and Instagram make it possible to post your pictures, stories and opinions among friends - as small or as large an audience as you want - without a lot of the drama.

No fish handling police to tell you you’re gill blasting; no antler police to complain that you shot a basket rack instead of a P & Y buck, etc.

The good old days on here were pretty entertaining for sure. The characters, the arguments/discussion, the stories, the photoshop skills. All of it was great and the knowledge I gained about steelhead fishing specifically and fishing in general on here, especially through sending PM’s to different guys, was great.

I lurk on huntingpa and it seems like those boards are pretty active but I’ve only been on there a few years so I don’t know what it used to be like. But it’s also a much broader focus across the entire state. Although this forum offers lots of other opportunities it was built around steelhead and that’s a pretty narrow focus.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 00:44:02 (permalink)

Heeee hee, so yinz "do" miss me........  c'mon admit it, your secrete swill be safe on this board.

uhhh..... hello????  
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/01/28 00:45:42

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 08:38:53 (permalink)
    rsquared
    Facebook and Instagram make it possible to post your pictures, stories and opinions among friends - as small or as large an audience as you want - without a lot of the drama.

No fish handling police to tell you you’re gill blasting; no antler police to complain that you shot a basket rack instead of a P & Y buck, etc.

The good old days on here were pretty entertaining for sure. The characters, the arguments/discussion, the stories, the photoshop skills. All of it was great and the knowledge I gained about steelhead fishing specifically and fishing in general on here, especially through sending PM’s to different guys, was great.

I lurk on huntingpa and it seems like those boards are pretty active but I’ve only been on there a few years so I don’t know what it used to be like. But it’s also a much broader focus across the entire state. Although this forum offers lots of other opportunities it was built around steelhead and that’s a pretty narrow focus.

HPA WAY down compared to what it used to be.  More so since it was sold by the last PA Owner.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 09:33:13 (permalink)
    Get back to your Trump forum you trouble maker ........lol

Bring back spot burning , but you must also include pictures with details !

That always made me laugh .....stopping spot burning on Erie tribs ....really ?
    ( don't want to crowd the" top secret" spots )

Like 10k people don't know every spot on Erie already ....da
    Whitman's bridge area looks like a Walmart parking lot everyday of the week !
    Legion area has cars parking on two levels , Girard Park looks like Presque Isle Park in summer, and good old Walnut and Elk access areas ......packed house 24/7 ......lol

Where's my buddy Walcat with his comments ?   Booted .....  Access denied !....lol

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 10:11:51 (permalink)
    I think a lot of what happened to the hunting forum is a reflection of what has happened to hunting in PA. The interest just isn’t there like it was before.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 10:33:01 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

Heeee hee, so yinz "do" miss me........  c'mon admit it, your secrete swill be safe on this board.

uhhh..... hello????  

You're dead to me on here until you post some hero shots of yourself with some reds and specks.  
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 10:35:15 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz

HPA WAY down compared to what it used to be.  More so since it was sold by the last PA Owner.

Yeah, I've only had an account there a few years.  Mostly just to lurk on the hunting dog and waterfowl forums.  Some really nice photo threads on there in the trout fishing section too, from the guys from central and eastern PA.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 12:09:20 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Get back to your Trump forum you trouble maker ........lol

Where's my buddy Walcat with his comments ?   Booted .....  Access denied !....lol

😂😂They Don't like me "even more" on that other board.😜😎

"Walcat"..... now that dude was hilarious to say the least. Hated ya one day then invite ya out for some fishin' the next. Helloooo Walcat, wherever yinz may be.🍻

rsquared... TSK TSK on the hero shots, "no spot burning" don'tcha know?

psst.... heading for the fishing pier today. Zoom in, using Google World Maps, I'll be waving.😎👍
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/01/28 12:13:03

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 14:29:16 (permalink)
    Just us old farts still here .....lol....but we got some good old stories to tell you young bucks !....lol
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 19:19:04 (permalink)
    Stuff like this happened.

https://www.post-gazette....t/stories/201901280120

The attitude towards guns converts to an attitude toward hunters.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 19:49:46 (permalink)
    Anybody remember Griffon that used to post here? The guy usually killed a good buck every year. S-10 was always good for some back and forth discussion on some topics. 

Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 23:13:53 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

psst.... heading for the fishing pier today. Zoom in, using Google World Maps, I'll be waving.😎👍

I looked, but all I could see was an old guy with a hairy chest in a speedo waving a selfie stick around.  

Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/28 23:15:04 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Just us old farts still here .....lol....but we got some good old stories to tell you young bucks !....lol

Brock, I love your stories and picture threads on here!  Was even better hearing them in person!  

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/29 00:47:39 (permalink)
    rsquared
    BeenThereDoneThat.

I looked, but all I could see was an old guy with a hairy chest in a speedo waving a selfie stick around.  

Ha haa, was he running a big boat with a loud motor pulling screaming kids on a big rubber replica of a crock-a-gator?

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

(America II tour wasn't pulling replicas. The tour boat came close enough to shore, we could see the Dolphins swimming along side, from the beach.

Dolphins would fly out of the water and those on board would hoot and cheer.

Really cool to see.)

DPMS I sure remember S10. He certainly liked to debate.

Hello S10, where ever yinz might be.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/29 11:10:39 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave, I always enjoy sharing stories and outdoor photos ....and I enjoy listening to them too ! Your boys remind of when mine were learning the joys of outdoor sports at a young age ....and it don't get any better than that !
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/29 14:49:24 (permalink)
    Iv been on Facebook had some family issues around Christmas and been rabbit hunting when I can i can't remember the last time I fished , bought my fishing license last week and my rattlesnake permit and they jacked That price up 6$! they better stock more trout now!

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/29 17:14:23 (permalink)
    Didn't see one orange hat or dog box even drive by the house this past yr. for sm. game let alone hunting the fields while driving around. None of my friends around here (Lake Arthur) even bought a license this yr. They all hunted when moved here in 1985. 2 of my sons bought lice. this season but never even went out. Heard 2--3 shots during all rifle season with plenty of deer & some very large bucks hanging 'round the hood. Might get back into it & might not. If not for archery, Bear & Turkey hunters the game com. would be washed up.

crappy
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/29 17:20:32 (permalink)
    Trailer plates went up from $6 too $11 a yr. for Butler county. With 11 plates to buy for might downsize on that.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/31 16:25:40 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
    Trailer plates went up from $6 too $11 a yr. for Butler county. With 11 plates to buy for might downsize on that.

Your wonderful county commissioners voted for the $5 tax....

The Butler County commissioners unanimously voted during a meeting on Wednesday morning to implement a $5 vehicle tax that they say will bring thousands of dollars into our county to fix our roads and bridges.

Commissioner Leslie Osche says the board has been hearing from constituents for years that transportation issues are one of the county’s biggest problems.

“As we traveled around all the municipalities when we first took office, we learned that everyone was struggling with transportation issues– getting roads paved, fixed, expanded…and also they were struggling with their bridges,” Osche said in an interview on Monday.
    The $5 fee itself will be added to residents’ vehicle registrations. You now have an option to renew your registration for two years at a time, and you’d only have to pay the $5 fee once (so it’s essentially $2.50/year).

The big project that could get done with these extra funds would be the Route 228 project in southern Butler County, but Commissioner Kim Geyer says that’s not all.

“It’s not all about Rt. 228,” Geyer said Monday. “Upon the inception of the $5 fee, the county will immediately be able to address three bridges– two in Clearfield Township and one in Oakland Township– as well as road improvements (including resurfacing and widening) in 8-11 different municipalities.”

Commissioner Kevin Boozel says there are several safeguards surrounding the fee, including the exemption of those who are retired and bring in less than $19,200 per year.

Despite somewhat of a public outcry surrounding the $5 vehicle fee, no one showed up at Wednesday’s Butler County commissioners meeting to speak against the move.

The commissioners said they were somewhat surprised, but also said it could be because they already spoke with numerous county residents over the phone or in-person leading up to the vote. All three of the commissioners also appeared on WISR’s ‘It’s Your Turn’ talk show on Monday to explain the fee.

Board chairman Commissioner Leslie Osche said she appreciated hearing from county residents about their individual concerns, which was echoed by commissioners Kim Geyer and Kevin Boozel.

“We have enjoyed and appreciated the conversations,” Osche said Wednesday. “We learned a lot.”

The $5 vehicle fee will allow the county to address several road and bridge projects immediately, but the Butler County commissioners say it could also open the county up to a substantial federal grant.

The $25 million BUILD Grant, or Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development, was created under the Trump administration. Applications for the grant are due Thursday.

The commissioners said they were told by federal officials that their grant application would look more desirable if they showed all other local revenue streams for transportation had been exhausted, which they say the implementation of the $5 fee does.

“It shows we have ‘skin in the game’,” Commissioner Kim Geyer said at a meeting last week.
    The board hopes to learn if they were chosen in December.

Commissioner Kim Geyer said she received several letters from local businesses, school districts, townships and trucking companies in the last week voicing their support for the $5 fee and potential grant, specifically because it could address the transportation problems on Route 228 in southern Butler County.

“The companies that use the Rt. 228 corridor on a daily basis are excited about the potential for all of this federal funding,” Geyer said Wednesday. “They are wholeheartedly lending their support.”

The commissioners said their letters will be included with the county’s BUILD grant application.

According to the board, more than 11,600 businesses along the Route 228 corridor- stretching from Cranberry Township (at the Interstate 79 interchange) onto Route 228 east the whole way to Route 356 and into Freeport and onto the Allegheny River- which move $27 billion in goods and commodities annually.

“On that road alone,” Osche said. “That’s a huge impact.”
    post edited by psu_fish - 2019/01/31 16:27:24
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/31 19:01:05 (permalink)
     We sent for 5 yr. registrations for the ones due so far this yr. (trailer)  Hope we don't get rid of 'em next month 

crappy
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/31 19:38:34 (permalink)
    Rattle snake permit !  Ever catch any ? I've never seen one yet in Pa. but others have where we hunted in Tionesta years ago.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What happened? 2019/01/31 22:57:23 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Rattle snake permit !  Ever catch any ? I've never seen one yet in Pa. but others have where we hunted in Tionesta years ago.

One thing for certain Cap, I ain't gonna go stomping around looking, I'll take their word for it.

General InformationLife HistoryNuisance snakesSafety PrecautionsAvoiding & Treating Snakebites
    Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) Bureau of Forestry's 2.2 million acres of State Forest lands provide the largest blocks of timber rattlesnake range remaining in the Northeastern states. These forests are managed according to the principles of ecosystem management, with the realization that all the different species must be present to sustain a healthy, functioning forest.
    The presence of timber rattlesnakes is one of the components that gives a wild flavor to State Forest land. The largest populations of timber rattlesnakes occur in the remote, heavily forested regions of Pennsylvania, and the state Wildlife Action Plan recognizes the state's responsibility in maintaining viable populations of native species.
    Worldwide, the importance of venomous snakes is being recognized not only for their role as both predator and prey but for their medical value. Recent promising breakthroughs in treatments for hypertension, heart attack, and cancer are attributed to snake venom research.
    Pennsylvania experienced a major decline in its timber rattlesnake population during recent decades attributed mainly to unrestricted commercial and sport hunting, den raiding, and land development. This decline prompted the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission (charged with aquatic invertebrate, fish, reptile, and amphibian management) to implement protective regulations and declare the timber rattlesnake a Candidate species for listing (Timber rattlesnakes are listed as threatened or endangered in neighboring states). DCNR urges all State Forest users including recreational visitors, camp lessees, logging, mineral, and rights-of-way contractors, fuel wood cutters, and passers-through to exhibit a tolerance for the timber rattlesnake and abide by all applicable regulations:
    • Persons who hunt, capture, kill, or possess timber rattlesnakes must have an Individual Timber Rattlesnake Hunter and Rattlesnake Possession Permit.
    • One snake can be taken annually with a valid permit, but the snake must be at least 42 inches in length, measured lenghtwise along the dorsal surface from the snout to tail (excluding the rattle). It also must have 21 or more subcaudal scales. This length requirement protects female snakes as male timber rattlesnakes are larger.
    • It is unlawful to hunt, take or kill timber rattlesnakes (even with a valid timber rattlesnake collection permit) west of Route 15 and south of interstate 81 to the Maryland line. Therefore, there is no open season for timber rattlesnake collection in the Michaux State Forest.
    • Timber rattlesnakes may not be collected (even with a valid timber rattlesnake collection permit) in the following 28 Natural Areas on State Forest land:
      State Forest
      Natural Area

Bald Eagle
      Mt. Logan

Rosencrans Bog

Tall Timbers

The Hook
      Buchanan
      Sweet Root
      Delaware
      Buckhorn

Pennel Run
      Elk
      Lower Jerry Run

Wykoff Run
      Forbes
      Roaring Run
      Gallitzin
      Charles F. Lewis
      Loyalsock
      KettleCreek Gorge
      Michaux
      Carbaugh Run
      Moshannon
      Marion Brooks
      Rothrock
      Bear Meadows

Big Flat Laurel

Detweiler Run

Little Juniata
      Sproul
      Cranberry Swamp

East Branch Swamp

Tamarack Swamp
      Susquehannock
      Forrest H. Dutlinger
      Tiadaghton
      Algerine Swamp

Berk Cabin

Miller Run
      Tioga
      Black Ash Swamp

Reynolds Spring
      Tuscarora
      Frank E. Masland
    • Damage to denning or overwintering and basking areas is prohibited.
    • Selling timber rattlesnakes or parts thereof is prohibited.
    • Timber rattlesnakes are protected under specific regulations by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission. For more information, consult the most recent "Pennsylvania Summary of Fishing Regulations and Laws" (supplied with fishing licenses) or direct questions to: Nongame and Endangered Species Unit, Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, 450 Robinson Lane, Bellefonte, PA 16823 www.fish.state.pa.us
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/01/31 23:09:58

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: