Helpful ReplySafe Ice by Next Weekend?

Author
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/13 07:11:39 (permalink)

Safe Ice by Next Weekend?

I've been checking the ice in places.  Maybe up to an inch on some lakes, but no where near safe.  Lows are in the teens this coming week, even if the highs are in the 30s.  I think that should still keep building the ice, however.  Anyone seeing anything different?  Comments?

Side note: has anyone ever fished Sugar Lake on the ice?
olds-Pa
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Safe Ice by Next Weekend? 2019/01/13 08:52:39 (permalink)
I used to fish Sugar often in the 70's and 80's, but concentrated more on Tamarack. Sugar has bluegill, bass, perch, northern pike, musky, crappie and now these days pickerel seem to have become very abundant to the point of being very pesty. Sugar is one of the first lakes to get ice though.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Safe Ice by Next Weekend? 2019/01/13 09:56:00 (permalink)
I am also waiting...went out last year on the bay with a friend and caught the bug.
This year during Christmas sales I bought my own gear.
Some reports on Facebook 1'' on Misery and Horseshoe and one guy said they were fishing Eaton yesterday.
I got a lot to learn on how long it takes ice to build but I like the forcast...WCW

fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
Re: Safe Ice by Next Weekend? 2019/01/13 09:58:23 (permalink)
Thanks Olds, I was up in that area two weekends ago and it was mostly frozen over with some smaller open pools the geese were keeping open.  I'm hoping by next weekend we'll have some good ice up there.  This summer I fished it and caught some crappie, bass and some picks.  I never caught any big slabs, mostly smaller fish.  I still haven't pulled a pike or musky out of that lake, but maybe this year.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Safe Ice by Next Weekend? 2019/01/13 19:29:30 (permalink)
Took a ride over to pymy yesterday to have a look. View from manning looked all locked up, except for maybe a few areas out in the channel. I sure wish they wouldn't lock the gate to Tuttle before ice season. Its nice to go and see which areas are the last to freeze so that they can be avoided.

Anyway, I'm hopeful for next weekend. Definitly the week after looking at the forecast. Good luck out there guys and stay on top!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Safe Ice by Next Weekend? 2019/01/13 21:08:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2019/01/17 09:42:55
Reports sounding better and if the weather holds out, yinz be playing "bore-a-hole.. bore-a-hole don't no where....." on hard water, real soon.

Keep the stories comin, but keep that cold weather stuff muup there, I'm liken this white stuff better.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Hell of a Walleye chop too.......

Crappy_Slayer I agree with keeping Tuttle open but I gotta wonder, with reopening the campground this year, will they keep the winter gates locked here on out?

Good times and tight lines and do keep the stories and reports comin.... There's no place like home. 👋

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
Re: Safe Ice by Next Weekend? 2019/01/23 11:12:08 (permalink)
Went out on Sugar Saturday...3.5-4" of ice in most places.  Caught a few pickerel and some perch.  Lots of guys out on the ice pre-blizzard.  I had Monday off and went out again, but with all the snow weighing down the ice, water was gushing from the holes and there was a thick layer of water/slush below the snow above the ice.  Sadly, I decided to just go home due to questionable safety.  I'm hoping for decent ice this coming weekend though.  

Anyone fish Justus/Two-Mile recently?  Any pike in that lake? Any idea on ice levels there?
Jump to: