Hot!Out-n-About

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8349
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/11 11:53:06 (permalink)
That's what keeps me wanting to "go west young man". lol

This Thursday we be moving onto the Grand Canyon National Park for a few days stay. From there, "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" then it's clicking our heels and saying "there's no place like home".

Buy WAIT, Zion sounds like a place to be but, no Bryce...... cause shipping through the tunnel ain't free.

Gotta love the weather reports round these parts. Rain at 2000 ft, 2 to 4" of snow at 4000', 8 to 10" at 6000'. Stupid snow.😡

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

JM2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/11 12:44:01 (permalink)
Drop your trailer in Hurricane UT, and do day trips to Bryce and Zion. Buy an annual park pass at the Grand Canyon, and you will be good for the next year in any national park. Or if don't already have one, the lifetime senior pass is something like $80.

colorado plateau
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/12 01:59:32 (permalink)
JM thanks for the tips on Zion, I'll definitely check them out.

Got the, America The Beautiful lifetime while visiting Gulf Shores. $80.00 but well worth it. Saved $20.00 at the Petrified Forest National Park and will save entrance fees at The Grand Canyon National Park this coming weekend. Will even save camping fees at places like Shenango Camp Grounds.

Made it through the Petrified Forest National Park today and all I can say is OMGosh!!!

I know it is said "a picture is worth a thousand words" but honestly, the only thing you would hear from any of the hundreds of pictures I took is, I suck at photography.

I recommend to Google pictures of the park if yinz would like to see what I sawed today.

Just unbelievable to see, let alone the history and what went on here, 100s or even 1000s of years ago.

We entered the park from the AR I-40 entrance and exited onto AR 180 W but not before, stopping at every POI and overlooks, for a look see. However, we did not partake in walking the canyon trails. For some reason, I couldn't find the escalators, to and from the bottom.

Once leaving the park, 180 returned us to the town of Holbrook where we saw several stores selling petrified wood (by the truck load) if ya wanted it. I didn't buy any cause I'm thinkin the stuff would be hard to light and probably wouldn't make a good camp fire.

We worked up quite an appetite while sightseeing and in seeking a restaurant we decided "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" so the first Mexican eatery we spotted, chow time.

It was love at first sight so a steak and shrimp fajita with, refried beans, rice, choice of flour or corn tortillas, and a yummy big portion, it was.

For dessert it was a strawberry magnesia milk shake topped with fruity Tum sprinkles, lightly dusted in powdered pepcid.

Now with full belly, one can only wish the 'NIB' tube of Preparation-H will remain..... 'NIB'. 😣

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Yep, that's a fire hydrant in the Petrified Forest and yep, the picture sucks.

PS. Hope I don't need a hydrant inplace of the 'NIB' Preparation-H.😱
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/12 02:18:14

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/12 15:25:04 (permalink)
😄😀😒 All's well that ends well..... only set off the CO/LP detector this morning. The smoke detector didn't trip and the gooder part..... Preparation-H is still 'NIB'.😜

All (stupid) kidding aside, the food was delicious and there was no skimping on portion size.

Employees were very friendly and concerned of our expirence. Big smiles abound, when we thanked them for the good food and service.

Yep, I'll do it again before leaving the area. But first, lets try some other restaurants like an original to Historical RT 66. More bout that later.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/12 15:37:58

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/13 12:20:32 (permalink)
Windy through the night with 60 MPH gust forecast.

"When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow........." 😱 WTH???

Could be worse, where we're headed the roads are closed to, and around, the park.

Better days coming.... Sunny with temps. in the upper 40s. Oh Joy!!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/13 12:23:07

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/13 13:27:52 (permalink)
Did I mention our gourmet dining last evening?

We couldn't pass by another of those "Historic RT 66" (facilime) restaurants.

Gosh what memories, not along 66 of course but of like establishments, along our travels in the 50s and 60s between Baltimore MD and Franklin PA.

Smiles once again abound when we entered (this time on my face), as the 'checker board' table tops and food menus caught our eyes. But the gooder part, what was on the menu. There it was, before my very eyes, a selection I have not seen in (many, many) years. "A bowl of mashed taters topped with", in this case, brown gravey, corn and deep fried chicken. (popcorn style).

Bet yinz can't guess what I had for dinner?😜 Aaaaaand for desert, a stop at a DQ that still operates from the original building. I know it's gotta be original cause the line for the drive through starts on the shoulder of a 5 lane highway (center lane turning) that had to be, a two lane highway when the building was constructed.

For inquiring minds, I had a medium size 'Butterscotch dipped' vanilla cone aaaaaaaand yinz didn't!!! he hee

PS. Prep-H remains 'NIB'. (for the inquiring minds)😒

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/14 12:12:08 (permalink)
It's shuffle off to 'Winslow' this AM but not for any specific sight seeing. Winslow is the only place within 30+ miles where we can tour a Walmart.

Why a Walmart you might ask and I would say... Dammed if I know but that's where the wife says, we're heading.

Be west bound down loaded up and trucking come this time tomorrow and not wanting to chance limited supplies at the "South Rim" sooooo, we're gonna git-r-done this morning.

Still enjoying the local cuisine and last night discovered a great Italian restaurant a few miles east of Holbrook on 77.

Lovely setting, friendly and great service with a true Italian menu that included all sorts of wine. Some of which, had really weird names. Not to worry about trying to pronounce those names. I prefer a nice rose' of diesel fuel, before drinking grape vinegar.

For dinner, not in a bowl but, a plate of linguine (sphegetti by any other name, is still.......😒) chicken breast, shrimp, and artichoke. Topped with a white wine garlic lemon butter sauce.

Wonderfully prepared and each item held it's own flavor not being overpowered by another ingredient. Except for a slight hint of vinegar.😬

The gooder part, with Italian, the Prep-H remains 'NIB' howeverrrrrr, with artichoke and the white sauce..... the Imodium-AD may not.😧 Time will tell, stay tuned.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/15 06:20:05

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/14 23:42:44 (permalink)
Returning from Winslow it was lunch at a restaurant original to Rt 66. Place was built in 1943 and sits on RT 66 (Hopi Dr) in Holbrook.

Later in the afternoon it was desert (this time, " Cherry" dipped vanilla cone(medium)) at the DQ on RT 77 (Navajo Blvd) in Holbrook.

I'd also like to mention, Joe & Aggies is where I learned the true difference between Red & Green Chili.

Now mind yinz, being from muup northeast, the chili I've come accustom to is Taco Bell.

Well down south, yinz get the real thing. so in as few words as possible here is my summation of true red & green chili.

The red stuff, without delay, had smoke rings blowing from my ears. The green stuff "AH CARAMBA".....!! well the Doc says my taste buds should return in the next two weeks.

But the gooder part, free samples of Preparation-H aaaaand Imodium-AD.😄
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/15 06:47:42

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/14 23:57:01 (permalink)
With all this food and so many historic restaurants Yinz know what I ain't found on any menu yet? Buckwheat pancakes with hot maple syrup and whole hog sausage. That's what!!!

Wassup with that?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/15 06:21:12

EMitch
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/15 06:28:59 (permalink)
BT,  you may have to go up to Kane or Sigel Pa. in deer season to find that.

Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/15 06:41:57 (permalink)
pssst emitch, Volant VFD if I make it back in time.

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/15 09:50:24 (permalink)
Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met I've been mostly stuck at home carving when I'm not working.

Attachment(s)

wishin i was fishin
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/15 11:06:41 (permalink)
👍👍👍 Super Bear, very nice. I like your style of coffee too.

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/15 11:17:13 (permalink)
LOL, Thanks, thats an old gas/ wood fueled stove we use for decoration, the coffee pot was up at camp 'til we got the stove....now it's decoration too ;)

wishin i was fishin
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/17 01:04:01 (permalink)
Wanna see something that left me absolutely speechless and filled the eyes of my wife with tears?

Yep, left me speechless, can yinz believe it?

My pictures come nowhere close, to letting yinz see just how awesome the view is.

Honestly, I don't care if a picture "is" worth a thousand words, no picture is gonna explain the feeling.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/17 01:11:11

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/17 01:18:23 (permalink)

It matters not if yinz has to drive, fly, or hitchhike yinz gotta see, first hand, the Grand Canyon.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/17 01:29:47 (permalink)
Gotta give a 'heads up' though, it gets pretty nutsy.

You won't believe the visitors walking right out onto the very edge of the rim for a photo op. There is few railings keeping one from accessing the rim.

Past two days we have had winds gusting to mid 30MPH and people are doing "selfies" stand on outcroppings.

As for me, I told my better half all pics will be of closeups. Be no more of that "another few steps back". 😬
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/17 01:32:23

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/17 01:40:25 (permalink)
Tomorrow it's off to Las Vegas then depending on the weather, who knows where.

Did I mention, there is nothing between you and the wildlife?

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/17 01:44:04

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/17 23:35:10 (permalink)
"What happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas".... at least till I figure out how to connect to the stupid "free WiFi" and I ain't burnin my own data.

Stay tuned......

rsquared
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2046
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/18 10:25:41 (permalink)
Great pics of the Canyon John!  Been enjoying the journey from afar - thanks for sharing.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/18 13:48:00 (permalink)
Dave thank you very much. I wish my pics were better. They sure don't tell the full story. The view and the feeling is just unreal.

Sitting in Las Vegas this AM, planning an itinerary of sorts. But from what I saw upon our arrival........

I WANT MY PENN'S WOODS..... 😧😣😢😭

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/18 14:29:06 (permalink)
The canyon is awesome, While you are in Vegas try red rock canyon and valley of fire state park.

wishin i was fishin
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/18 14:36:15 (permalink)
Just be careful in Vegas you known we can't pick up hitch  hikers.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/19 10:59:46 (permalink)
Bigbear I shall look into those areas. I appreciate the info. We're at the end of our 'planned' trail and thinking Sequoia National Forest before heading back. The trip would add at least a week to our return home and I know them walleye and crappie ain't gonna wait for me. lol Thanks again.

Jigs... not so much pickin up hitchhikers that getcha in trouble as pickin up lot-lizards in Vegas. lmao

Be well fellas, I gotta git.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/19 16:56:08 (permalink)
Welp here we go.......

Yinz know I couldn't refuse.

aaaaaaand so, I has a new t-shirt and Yinz don't nah nah.... nah nah.

Nice place to visit.........

but I ain't never gonna live here..... one more minute being stuck in traffic hearing "I'm all shook up" and I'm putting an ice pick to this dudes tires. Good Grief!!!

Day before we got here, some dude robs the "Bellagio", trys stealing a car from a valet attendant, shoots a cop and gets killed.

Yesterday some dude pulls an armed carjacking just a few blocks from where we are staying.

OH WHAT FUN IT IS... !!!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/19 17:06:36

Attachment(s)

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4060
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/20 10:34:05 (permalink)
Did you buy anything at the pawn shop other than a tee shirt?

The only thing I bought at the Pickers (Antique Archeology) store in Nashville was a logo coffee mug for my wife.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/20 23:12:46 (permalink)
Dardy sorry 'bout the delay, been busy. You know "what happen's in Vegas stays in Vegas" and it can stay here. This place is nuts and between you and me I'm glad my two buddies are riding with me.

Anyways, in addition to the tee, I did buy sumpthin special just for me and it fits nicely on "the hat of many places". Believe it or not, I got a second one for free.

I bought the wife sumpthin special too 'sept I'm not allowed to touch em, to take a picture, cause they're really delicate.

Nooooo, not them things yinz sillys.

I bought her a pair of angel figurines carved from stone.

The pawn shop was nothing spectacular and much like any hometown jewelry store, in size.

But there in lays the problem.... "jewelery" and bunches of it. Some reasonably priced but much, costing bunches of money. 😧

I'm sure you would enjoy viewing the antique guns on display and for sale. Along with the swords and knives of yesteryear. Some having been featured on "Pawn Stars". Surprising though, not as many as I had thought there might be.

Speaking of Nashville, you'll have to let me know more of your "Pickers" Expirience. With the stupid weather expected muup to my north, I may be changing course in getting home.

We were planning on cutting our Vegas visit short and heading to Zion tomorrow but the weather dude says, snow and rain could be in our forecast plus I just read where the main road has just been reopened (1 lane), after repair from flood damage. So it's back-up and regroup till we see, what mother nature and old man winter decides.

That coffee cup, is it something with a story behind it? Would be exciting to hear, if it does.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/20 23:15:19

Attachment(s)

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4060
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/21 09:23:58 (permalink)
BTDT,

No the coffee mug is not special at all. It just has the Pickers logo on it. It is nothing from a pick.

We were in Nashville for business and decided to check out their store. It is very small, probably less than 2,000 sq ft. While there was a lot of stuff crammed in there, it fell into basically three categories — not for sale; for sale at outrageous prices; and junk. But they did have tee shirts and coffee mugs.

There are much better things to do in Nashville. Even if you are not a CW music fan, which I am not.

The little honky tonks have great live music every night.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/22 23:22:07 (permalink)
I do enjoy CW but it's tough to listen to some of the 'nasal twangers' herald as CW singers today. GOOD GRIEF!!!

Doesn't surprise me that the Pickers Store in Nashville is expensive and though the coffee cup has no significant monetary value, I hope the memories it contains, makes it valuable. ☕

As the week wind's down and I sit here reminiscing of the sirens and the big engines roar (two airports with planes 24/7(and every minute in between)) I sez to my self..... self, enough of this chyt, Las Vegas sucks time to rewind back home. God willing and the creeks (no longer) rise, this Sunday it's Penn's Woods bound for me, my wife, and our RV.

One last hero shot for the road.

Good ridence Las Vegas.... What happens here "CAN" stay here!!!

PS. Don't know if yinz can see it in the pic but "Lady Liberty" is wearing a hockey jersey. Can yinz guess for which team?

PPS. Get well soon, "Flower".
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/03/22 23:27:05

Attachment(s)

Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 738
Re: Out-n-About 2019/03/24 11:58:50 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

PS. Don't know if yinz can see it in the pic but "Lady Liberty" is wearing a hockey jersey. Can yinz guess for which team?

A Penquins jersey?    lol

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: