Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9510
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/05 20:26:52 (permalink)

Out-n-About

So we took a little ride, me and my bride, to see what conditions the conditions was in. So said; where shall we go and she said; don't know fo sho, so let's just go til we can't go no mo aaaaaand that's what we done.

Ran out of road at the edge of the sea so we stopped and this is what we seed.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Kind of put me in mind of Pymatuning 'cept for that big thingy with the huge fishing pole sitting in the water. This next picture though, kinda, sorta, maybe looks like the Linesville Marina area, doncha think?

Saw a nature trail so decided to give it a try and see what there is to see down by the sea.

Turns out to be a nature trail through a wildlife reserve and again, reminded me of our little treks around Pymie.

Wasn't unusual to see and hear the birds and a squirrel here and one there and of course, like Pymie, there are the laws pertaining to feeding the wildlife. Several signs along the trail to remind us feeding the animals would be subject to heavy fines.

So not wanting to get into trouble, we had no intentions of feeding any of the local critters. Although.... I sure thought I heard my better half mention, she had something, she would like to feed the animals.

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

109 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/29 01:15:50 (permalink)
    Thought I'd check out the catchin in the Gulf today so I stopped and talked with a few locals.

Not much happening according to this guy so I moseyed on down the line till I found a group fishin and thought for sure they'd be catchin.

but nope, not catchin a thing aaaaand neither were these guys.

Best report was A few whiting (?) and they was small. One angler did have a cooler full and it reminded me of catching perch on Pymie and Wilhelm.

We left the fishing pier and headed to a few beaches where the word was the same. Not much happening today.

Did get to watch Jellyfish swimming along the breaker wall under a bridge as well as Dolphin chasing a tour boat. Pretty cool to see, for Penn's Woods Hillbilly.

Till next time.
    Good times and tight lines
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/01/29 01:18:11

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1125
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/29 07:19:47 (permalink)
    Someone needs a Time-out for causing trouble! Now you've caused to to start dreaming of the old days when I lived in Florida. Shame on you! And it's getting cold outside. 
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 737
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/29 07:32:55 (permalink)
    nice!

wishin i was fishin
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6927
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/29 10:13:02 (permalink)
    Whiting are good eats.  Red drum like to eat their heads too...  You are probably a month or two out from things being excellent fishing there.  I'm sure the local guys likely know a few tricks to catching a bunch now too.  Open water with temps warm enough for guys to be wearing shorts and tee shirts, even catching little fish sounds like a good time to me.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/29 11:46:59 (permalink)
    Jigs if it's any conciliation, calling for 28 degrees tonight then a gradual warm up into the weekend. Locals say average temps have been 17 degrees below norm.

Bigbear thankyou.

Pork, as of yet, haven't tasted 'Whiting' but everyone I speak with agree, they are a good tasting fish.

Maybe if I do like back home on Pymie, sit on a dock with a sad face and whimper I never catch any stupid fish, somebody will toss me a few.

While watching the jellyfish swimming along the wall, I talked with another 'snowbird' who was checking the wall for 'barnacles'. Dude says find the barnacles and you'll likely find Sheepshead. Of course with my angling expertise, I have no idea if he was BSing me or not. ooooor maybe he said 'Red Drum', hell I can't remember, dam oldtimers.

Anyway fellas as they say in the old country......

WISH YINZ WAS HERE!!!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/01/29 12:09:55

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3157
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/31 10:43:21 (permalink)
    Whiting are tasty....I mostly used them cut up for bull reds or whole/live for sharks in the surf though.  Small piece of shrimp and/or fishbites on a small circle hook and double dropper rig set in a holder or, if you are more active, small carolina rig with the same hook/bait slowly drug through the washes on the beach.  If they are there, you'll get bit.

Sheepshead are good eats too....and yes, they eat barnacles and the like near the pier legs or breaker walls.  Free line live shrimp or, use a popping cork if you are getting snagged up to float it close to structure.  If you don't want to go live bait, you can use a doa shrimp or a small crab imitation too.  Berkley makes some saltwater power baits and gulps that work too.

Get on it BTDT......get on it.....
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/31 11:03:53 (permalink)
    Sand fleas!!!  Free and easy to catch.  Whiting, sheepshead, pompano, black drum, flounder, ect. will all eat them.  Why most of those fish are up close to begin with.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/01/31 11:15:22 (permalink)
    EYES thanks so much for the info. I had no intentions of fishing this time around but after all the help I've received from yinz guyz and then watching guyz fishin here, I'm thinkin once again, I made a baaaad decision leaving my gear back home.

Funny, when I walk into the local Walmart I hear voices beckoning and forces pushing me, toward the sporting section.

Stupid voices..... ๐Ÿ˜œ

Thanks again for taking the time and your help. ๐Ÿป

PS. I am taking notes.๐Ÿ‘

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/01 13:56:27 (permalink)
    Pork is correct, sand fleas are the ticket too.  Most of my fishing was upper Texas coast and not many, if any sand fleas to be had there....
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/01 15:34:49 (permalink)
    All this talk about sand fleas... Makin me itchy. Could be worse I guess, using crabs, for bait I mean. uhhh, that was baaaad, I know....., sorry ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thanks again for yinz help.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/04 10:15:31 (permalink)
    Speaking of crabs, in the winter, half a cracked blue crab on a circle hook soaking in the first or second gut is almost irresistible to a big red or black drum............
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/04 13:57:30 (permalink)
    I'd rather have a plate full of half cracked blue crabs.

But if yinz promise not to say anything, I'll tell YinZ a little secrete. Shhh.... while the better half was pickin up a few things at the local Walmart, I 'neaked back to sporting. I had too, I heard it calling my name and there was this force pulling me.

Step by step, inch by inch, slowly I approached and turning the corner there it was, looking directly at me. Hanging just a foot above the floor, a Shakespeare surf fishing package complete with two pyramid sinkers.

Standing there, staring in total awe, I was brought back to reality when a kind voice said "are you finding everything you need sir"?

Turning toward the voice, and now breathing, I looked to see a young woman in a blue vest where upon I cried out, "I want my mommy"!!

๐Ÿ˜ฎGoodGrief..... 'the stuff' that could be found was unreal and I kid you not, there was rod & reel combos we use for ice fishing although, called a different name.

Then there was cast nets and these huge minnow traps. Dam I thought, how big can them minners be around here. But when I checked the price tag I found out they wasn't minnow traps.... oops.๐Ÿ˜’

Well anyways, next time I'm taking my camera with me cause to a country bumpkin like me, the sporting dept here at Walmart should be a featured tourist attraction.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/04 15:20:09

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1125
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/04 15:48:11 (permalink)
    No Pictures it didn't happen! I'm beginning  to think you're in your little spot in Pennswoods yelling at the Amish  and feeding us FAKE NEWS! 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/04 16:16:43 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    No Pictures it didn't happen! I'm beginning  to think you're in your little spot in Pennswoods yelling at the Amish  and feeding us FAKE NEWS! 

Might as well be, if he didn't actually buy any gear and go out by now.

I take fishing gear if I have business in NYC for more than a day or two.  I honestly couldn't be that close to the gulf that long without fishing.  I get kind of fidgety just thinking about it.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/04 17:21:31 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    No Pictures it didn't happen! I'm beginningย  to think you're in your little spot in Pennswoods yelling at the Amishย  and feeding us FAKE NEWS!ย 

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I'd love to post pictures but my selfie stick quits working and my wife can't stop laughing, to get a clear pic of me in my new Speedo.

Pork if you ever get a business oportunity landing you in Gulf Shores, Fort Morgan or Orange Beach.... take it.

Not only will I bring fishing gear next trip but I'm booking my stay through Spring Break!!!

Although, Mardi Gras is kicking off in Mobile, Daphne and Foley this month and that will be fun, I must remember to stock up on "beads" for next year . ๐Ÿ˜œ
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/04 17:33:18

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/05 12:20:23 (permalink)
    man, at least take a trip out on a head boat and wet a line.  No need to purchase any gear and you can buy a tourist license (10 days or whatever). 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/05 14:13:19 (permalink)
    Trust me, if I ever had the opportunity to work in that area, I would be all over it.  We have a guy that lives right outside of Eglin AFB that handles that area.  They sent me to Chattanooga and Huntsville, but that is as close as I have made it there for work.  Most of my work is WV, OH, PA, MD & NJ.  NJ being were most of my saltwater opportunities are, but I take what I can get.  Caught my first pickerel ever this year at a small lake next to Ft. Indiantown Gap, north of Harrisburg.  I've made it to the gulf coast of FL for fun.  Might be there Spring Break too.  Might have a bit more crowd than I would like though.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/05 23:58:57 (permalink)
    Eyes I did stop and check out some fishing equipment today.

Better half says I can buy one..... when I come back in another life, as a multi-millionaire. ๐Ÿ˜’

Pork, have ya ever tried Long Beach Island (LBI) off the Jersey shore? Well maintained beaches and tons of charter and easy access shore fishing. Pretty laid back most of the year.

I'm heading back there, hopefully this fall before taking the " NE Autumn Leaf Tour".

Another pic. just for Jigs..... lol

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/06 00:07:47 (permalink)
    Yinz know the old saying, "if ya have to ask, ya can't afford it" Welllllllll, I didn't ask.

Attachment(s)

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/06 21:45:20 (permalink)
    Iโ€™ve stayed at the North Shore Inn a few times in Barnegat Light (north end of LBI). Good fishing about 100 yard walk. I prefer the next island up, which has IBSP. Which is about 30 miles of no commercial property. Much like Hatteras National Seashore. Easier commute to JBMDL, staying in Toms River too.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/06 22:33:28 (permalink)
    Pork I climbed the Barnegat Lighthouse steps to the top and walked the outside perimeter. Not a good thing for somebody with Acrophobia. But what a view.

I'm looking for a campground near the memorial of the twin towers where I can get transportation to ground zero from the Jersey side. Took the Ferry out to Ellis Island a few years back and still kicking myself for not taking the Ferry across to the memorial.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/06 22:35:23

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/07 10:08:30 (permalink)
    I'd suggest Sandy Hook, NJ.  It is the peninsula at the South of the entrance to the Hudson River / NY Harbor / Raritan Bay, not sure of actual name.  There is a ferry that takes you from Sandy Hook to somewhere in Manhattan, then subway or taxi from there.  That way you aren't having to deal with towing your camper (I assume), through the heart of the traffic.  Sandy Hook area is still very populated, but the park is really nice.  Some of the surrounding towns are a bit rough though, but not immediately next to the park.  Ft. Hancock is there for a more relaxing site seeing than NYC if staying a few days.  I'd assume that ferry ride is long, so might want to make sure it is a nice day without any sort of rough sea forecast.  If weather causes an issue, you can get commuter trains from the Red Bank area, which is a short drive from Sandy Hook.

If you go in the spring, you will have good fishing.  NJ does not have a salt water fishing license.  But just about every road has a toll, and campground is probably just as expensive as a 4 star resort in other states...  You do need to do a NJ salt water registry, which is free, if you want to fish.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/07 12:05:08 (permalink)
    Pork thank you I shall be checking those places. Sounds like a good place to start an autumn leaf excursion.

Not likely to pull my RV through NY City. Played that game in a big "Pete" pulling 53 footers. Those morons in their cars would try running over those big trucks so I'm thinkin' aint no place for me and a RV. LOL

Sitting here, looking at a neighbors fishing cart chalk full of equipment. Maybe mosey on over and chew some fat bout fishing but seeing the cart here and not on the beach says the same as I been hearing. Not much happening.

Pretty cool cart set up with oversize tires for the sandy beaches. Checked prices at Walmart. $250.00ish which I suppose is worth it, if a guy does bunches of surf fishing.

As for me, I aint been bit yet, but I am missing, punching holes through the ice.

Good times and tight lines and thanks again.

rsquared
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2159
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/07 12:59:31 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

Sitting here, looking at a neighbors fishing cart chalk full of equipment. Maybe mosey on over and chew some fat bout fishing but seeing the cart here and not on the beach says the same as I been hearing. Not much happening.

It's happening just west of you at least, in Mississippi and Louisiana.  Seeing daily pics and reports on social media of piles of specks, reds, sheepshead and black drum from the Louisiana Marsh, Mississippi barrier Islands, and the Back Bay in Biloxi.  Bet if ya moseyed on mup to Mobile Bay you'd find the same.  

Man, yer killing us John!  
    rsquared
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2159
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3008
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/07 13:55:59 (permalink)
    I am a bit stunned to learn NJ does not have a saltwater fishing license.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/07 14:45:43 (permalink)
    psu_fish
    I am a bit stunned to learn NJ does not have a saltwater fishing license.

With how many states are doing it, I am surprised that they haven't jumped on board too.  They do get you with the entry fee, if you go to IBSP and Sandy Hook SP.  Many of the beach towns have beach tags that you need to access the beach.  Every other road in that state has a toll too.  Just like most states now, you have to pay to drive onto the beach.

Gas prices rival Ohio and they pump it for you...  Strange how some states get you with different things.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/07 16:07:05 (permalink)
    Those carts are great.  The sand tires are worth the $250 themselves.  They work wonders on soft sand.  Better to have an ORV permit though... 

Personally, I "try" to pack light.  But with a cast net, cooler, tackle bag, two rods, two sand spikes, sand flea container, small net that I use to catch sand fleas, beer, etc...  I have a cheapo "beach dolly" that has those 10" inflatable wagon wheels.  It is a dog through soft sand, but works great up close to the wash where the sand is compacted.  I have learned that anything over 1/4 mile or so hike, to take one rod and limit the other stuff.  I end up still only using 1/4 of the limited stuff...  

Sam is probably laughing at what little I take with me!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Out-n-About 2019/02/07 22:09:09 (permalink)
    rsquared
    BeenThereDoneThat.

It's happening just west of you at least, in Mississippi and Louisiana. ย Seeing daily pics and reports on social media of piles of specks, reds, sheepshead and black drum from the Louisiana Marsh, Mississippi barrier Islands, and the Back Bay in Biloxi. ย Bet if ya moseyed on mup to Mobile Bay you'd find the same. ย 
    ย 
    Man, yer killing us John! ย 

Tsk tsk....... no spot burning. lmao

I been looking to go visit the USS Alabama so maybe I can find out about the catching around the area.

My neighbor must a know'd I was snooping cause they sneaked away when I wasn't looking. Maybe I can bug him tomorrow.

Sorry about that pain Dave, I just have no urge to fish. Howwwwwever, that could be subject to change.๐Ÿ˜œ

Honestly, I'd be happier back home on the ice.... or what once was ice.๐Ÿ˜ณ Oh well, Phil said it's time for Spring. Stupid groundhog.

Stay warm and be safe.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/07 22:11:48

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: