Author
Prada
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/04 10:56:01 (permalink)

Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow

I am looking to buy a bow, what do you recommend and why?
Thanks,
Prada
post edited by Prada - 2019/01/07 09:58:36

8 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/04 11:09:28 (permalink)
    Man, you'll get a million different responses to this one . . .

I know nothing about long bows.

I hunted with a compound for 15 years, then sold it about 15 years ago when we started having kids and it just was taking up too much of my time and attention.  

When my oldest son was old enough to hunt, I bought a crossbow.  It requires very little practice for an adult that knows how to shoot.  At 30 yards, I'm probably more accurate with it than I am with a rifle because I don't flinch.  Really easy to shoot and get proficient with it at normal archery ranges out to 35 or 40 yards.  They're pretty fool proof.  

Now that my son is older, he has a compound that I bought him two years ago.  As I was shopping around, I shot a number of compounds at a local archery dealer.  IMO, for a true hunting situation other than sitting in a blind with shooting sticks, the compound definitely gets the nod.  

The x bow I have is a Wicked Ridge Warrior.  It's bulky and heavy.  Shooting off hand is a challenge because of the weight.  Newer x bows are probably lighter and more friendly in that regard.  DPMS will probably chime in here, as he knows a lot about what's out there now.  

If I was a tree stand hunter, or spot and stalk kind of guy, there's no doubt I'd go to a compound.  Newer compounds are so light and maneuverable compared to the Wicked Ridge.  No worries about needing shooting sticks or resting on a tree stand rail.  No worries about maneuvering for a shot.  

But as it is, I like my feet on the ground cause I'm a big wuss about climbing more than 4' off the ground and I'm getting lazier as I get older, so I don't mind setting up a chair in my blind and using the shooting sticks.  
    holly107
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/04 12:20:34 (permalink)
    never used a long bow but have shot them. it does take a lot of practice if you have time. cross bow is easy but to heavy to carry around and bulky. I have and will for ever shoot a compound to me its the right way to hunt. a crossbow is only to me is cheating but im some what old school. I guess if you still love to hunt and cant pull a regular bow back its ok at least it keeps you in the woods. but I would suggest to at least give a compound a try first its a great accomplishment to kill a deer with. good luck
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/04 19:18:25 (permalink)
    Prada, What is your primary goal, target or hunting?

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/04 21:39:49 (permalink)
    Prada
    I am looking to buy a bow, what do you recommend and why?
    Thanks,
    Prada

I hunt and took bunch of deer with a 55lb longbow for years now, takes lots of practice and proper arrows just to get your "Aim" down pat. Never cared for compounds. Longbows have advantages often are light and easy to take care of without a shop, usually consist of waxing, replacing a string every few years. Plus you'll get the added experience of how our ancestors hunted without all the bells and whistles of compound and xbows.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/04 22:19:41 (permalink)
    If I could do 'Er, long bow/recurve.... hands down.

Still using a compound I bought nearly 30 years ago but caved to the old age thingy a few years back and bought a x-bow.

X-bow with scope I practice a day or two before using. Compound, I'd shoot several weeks before. More so to build stamina and practice long holds at 65% let off.

Recurve, haven't shot since the mid 60s but practiced year round, just to assure hitting a hay bale at 20 yds. Not easy to draw and hold, one them suckers.... lol

Good luck with whatever choice of weapon you may choose.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Prada
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/05 10:01:36 (permalink)
    fishin coyote

hunting
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2124
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/05 10:22:50 (permalink)
    Cross-bow, hands down. I've hunted with all 3. I hunt with a Barnett Raptor FX. You can hold it with 2 fingers, it's that light. The limbs aren't very wide on it either. It's not the most accurate x-bow I've ever shot, but it gets the job done. I removed the crank style co-ck device to lighten it even more and use a co-ck rope to pull it back. I think it's a 160 lb. draw and shoots bolts at 330 fps. I installed a 3 dot red dot scope on it and can shoot it left handed just as proficient as I can right handed. Do that with your compound bow.....HA.

BH
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    Re: Longbow, Compound bow or Crossbow 2019/01/06 08:35:32 (permalink)
    Prada
    fishin coyote

hunting

I guess it boils down to if the weapon matters to you in your harvest?

If you are willing to sacrifice some success for the nostalgia or personal satisfaction of taking a deer with a traditional longbow or recurve, go for it. The hunt will be harder, shots fewer, practice longer, but the success sweeter. 

Compounds and crossbow are closer to each other. With a compound, you got to practice more, the draw must be considered, and for the typical archer, the range will be a little less than a crossbow. Compounds are lighter and easier to pack in and out of your stands. 

Crossbow enjoy about 3-5% increased success rates over compounds. The greatest advantage is form is not as critical and they are held at full draw. They may extend your range a bit. They are heavier, more difficult to pack, and much louder than a compound. The also have a higher limb failure rate than compounds. 

I have killed many deer with compounds and crossbows. I consider traditional gear, compounds, and crossbows all archery. Do I get more satisfaction from shooting deer with a weapon that is harder to see success with? Yes. That is why I enjoy flintlock hunting so much. In archery, I prefer to use the equipment that offers me the best chance of making a perfect shot, which is why I generally prefer crossbows. 

You have to decide why you want to archery hunt and what weapon best suits your goals. 
    post edited by dpms - 2019/01/06 08:38:21

My rifle is a black rifle
    Jump to: