Helpful ReplyThe Erie Fishing Diary

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/16 10:08:56 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Anybody remember the old buzzard that use to charge us to park at Elk Creek on the East side ?
Yea he had a little wooden booth and charged everybody 2-3 dollars to park in the field there. He had a little shady thing going for awhile till they shut him down....lol

My buddy and I paid the fee there one year.  But that was the year we found out they put in the parking lot at Elk mouth and we starting parking there.  Kind of put the old guy out of business.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
OXYBOB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/16 10:56:44 (permalink)
That old Buzzerd was my Uncle Merl. He was Mummys brother. He use to hit me an OJ with his belt wen we were bad. He made us collect parking money for him. I dident like him to much. The only good thing abowt him was he wood get drunk an pass out and me an OJ wood drink his beer an whiskey. He just thot he drinked it!  He wasnt too smart!

OxyBob
Prezadent-OxyBob Fishing Club
OBFC
Jester2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/17 14:52:08 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Thanks John,  I'm enjoying the read........
I used minnows one time up NY on the tribs....did nail a few . Most bait shops don't carry live bait like around here. In Lewiston the only two bait shops closed or were closed when I was up a few years ago. Olcott has one, Oak has ......? Maybe one....two closed there also. Can't bring  them in from out of state....VHS virus protection. Good bait shops are becoming a rarity ....tough seasonal business, long hours.  Gulp minnows should work well.

I was about to say that in good Steelie conditions, Gulp Alive may have rendered the Emerald Shiner obsolete for we minnow chuckers.

I use a hybrid 'stinger' set up with 12 lb clear or lo vis green mono. Minnow rigs don't let it work naturally . . . pre-tied stinger rigs for Eye's will work in high/stained water, but not low n slow.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/17 16:01:54 (permalink)
Speaking of Gulp minnows they work very good in place of live ones. I actually caught more Smallmouth one day on Gulps and I had live minnows too. I just got to rig them better on the hook....loose too many once a fish is on. I like Emerald or Shad varieties ,but they have a florescent green / orange I bought and I'm dying to try. I just started using Gulps the past two years and I'm sold....carry them all the time now. My vest just got even heavier now !

I think Gulps copied the idea from the Banjo minnow. I laughed at those stupid Banjo commercials on TV until my boy landed 3 nice Steelies on them while I got nothing....seeing is believing....sometimes....lol     
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/17 16:59:42 (permalink)
Those fire tiger gulps are good stuff.  Wish they made them in the 1" version.  For some reason they don't seem to work for me in the fall, like they do in the spring and early summer.  Stupid fish that I am chasing want the live minnows when it is 40 degrees or less.  Would be much nicer on the hands if they would just take the gulps!

I had some fun at the Pig Pen as a kid in the mid to late 80s with my dad.  Not a ton of catching by either of us the first few trips, but good memories.  We landed enough to get hooked.  That and just seeing how many fish were crowded into those ditches.  My dad still reminds me of the day he was on fire at the Wall o' Nuts.  Limited out in maybe 5 minutes and no one else was catching anything.  Yes, we kept all the mushballs (stell and samons) we caught back then.  After he limited out, I got my hands on the hot spoon of the day.  Either first or second cast, I caught the other side of the Wall o' Nuts channel rocks, and that was the end of it...  He was about to throw me in, he was so jacked.  In return, I remind him of our POS station wagon we'd make trips in, that the hood flew open on Rt. 5.  Or him half asleep at 6AM pulling through the ditch when he saw a sign for coffee, completely missing the entrance to the parking lot.  Good times!  I think he stopped taking me when I started figuring things out, and would limit out in an hour, while he wasn't catching a thing.  Me complaining that I wanted to walk up stream away from the crowds.  "There ain't no fish up there"...  Dad, I can see those guys catching fish after fish, and no one even close to them.  But since there wasn't a place for a lawn chair, it wasn't a fishing spot!
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/17 19:26:57 (permalink)
A few years ago I inherited a collection of pa angler magazines from the mid 50's through the early 70's, in the attached month there is an article about the fish commission moving cohos from the tribs to lake pleasant and a small pic of the mouth of walnut before the marina. I cannot get a good pic of that picture or I would post it.

Attached Image(s)

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/17 21:50:45 (permalink)
Good story Pork....I'm still laughing ....how true too I bet.

That's an oldie Moses......I started going up around 71 same spot in photo...the wall...lol

I remember when the Fish Commish  would put some netted fish in the Gravel Pits years ago for people to catch.
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6353
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/18 12:20:31 (permalink)
Cpt Hook,  I remember my first trip to Erie.  Came up from Tyrone with my friend, had never fished for steel, or salmon and we stopped at the power line on elk.  I was watching the water for signs of surface feeding and a saw a nice (to me) fish near the surface. (I thought all the big black / green things on the bottom were stones and moss).  So I tied on a large light Cahill dry ( great for fish on the Spruce Creek) and cast to the suspended fish.  After about my third cast one of the "stones" moved up from the bottom and inhaled my dry fly.  And the fight was on.  I was using a (for the time) heavy 5 wt Shakespeare Wonderrod, with 3# tippet, and that fish took me wayyy down the stream.  Finally landed it when a nice gentleman netted it for me. ( my net was too small)  I now realize that the fish was probably a king, and the fish I was casting to was probably a jack (1st year return) or a smaller coho.  Made very few trips back up over the years till about 93, or so. And now, being in a wheelchair prevents my chasing steel, but good memories remain.

BTW: Some of those who remember me from back them will remember the black Shakespeare fly rod or the Wonderrod, both with the automatic reel.  Genieman ?

post edited by indsguiz - 2018/10/18 12:23:34

Illegitimis Non carborundum
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/18 19:25:12 (permalink)
Great story...I personally never caught a Lake Erie King, but I've landed many Ontario ones. Don't know your exact physical capabilities, but the Walnut wall could get you close to Steelhead fishing again with a friend's help. Last year there were lots of Steelhead staging there and I'm sure others would be more than happy to make room....just a thought.

This year is not taking off very well by my reports.  
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/18 20:43:39 (permalink)
Jack if you can get a friend or the misses to get you mupere from down yonder, I will com mup and get you situated...and then you can help ME catch feesh! (He’s got more fishing knowledge in his thumbnail than I’ll ever have )...Fur reel though, just name the day and I’ll be your fishing assistant!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/28 21:51:02 (permalink)
Oh are we all finally agreeing the runs are a joke anymore?

This year is looking better than the last 6 or 7 so far. The only issue is every single fish being caught in all of the creeks are tiny. PFBC refuses to put a size limit on the steelhead due to inbred anglers. Lets rope up the 16 inchers boys.

Accurate post. Well done.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/28 22:08:41 (permalink)
Oh great...

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/29 15:57:21 (permalink)
mike55
Oh are we all finally agreeing the runs are a joke anymore?

This year is looking better than the last 6 or 7 so far. The only issue is every single fish being caught in all of the creeks are tiny. PFBC refuses to put a size limit on the steelhead due to inbred anglers. Lets rope up the 16 inchers boys.

Accurate post. Well done.

Never understood the "I gotta get a limit or bust" crowd. To me, fishing is not about how fast I can rope 3 steelheads. Even with other game fish, I'm out fishing for fun and relaxation and enjoyment.

And this is not just a PA issue.
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/29 21:59:43 (permalink)
yeah the rope m n smoke em crowd ... lol  lol  like the cat that always drops off the dead bird on the back porch.. yhey just have to prove they can catch a fish  photos are not good   they need a corpse lol

I have become comfortably numb
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 12:22:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2018/10/31 12:30:32
There is absolutely no reason people should be keeping 12 inch steelhead. Let them grow. Go look at poor richards facebook posts. Such a joke. Pfbc needs to look at ny regulations and follow their example. Tons of 20lb steelhead being caught in ontario this year.

Not to mention large parts of elk got posted again. You know... Cause of all the garbage us anglers leave behind. Has to be "all the garbage"... Couldn't be the fact that people buy property and just like to be selfish. One of you garbage warriors take me on a walk in the public areas of elk and show me all this garbage you talk about. I have never seen it. Maybe junk that gets ripped out of yards during blowouts but never serious litter.

The fishery has so much potential to be amazing again but pfbc is made up of a bunch of college fish biologists not fisherman. I did go fishing yesterday and we caught a ton of fish. All were about jack size but atleast numbers are growing again. It is gonna be a slaughter of 2yr old fish this year. Such a shame.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 12:33:32 (permalink)
I'd love to see 1 per day limit, 21 inch or more like in NY.
But, for now, they have every right in that put and take fishery to fill the yellow rope.

wishin i was fishin
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 13:10:11 (permalink)
The smiles people have, roping them sub-legal fish is hilarious. Its like they have accomplished the impossible lol.

I would love to see a new limit be set. But I'm actually more impressed on the presence of the fish comish checking people this year. I've been checked more this year that past 4-5 years combined. 
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 13:20:59 (permalink)
bigbear2012
I'd love to see 1 per day limit, 21 inch or more like in NY.
But, for now, they have every right in that put and take fishery to fill the yellow rope.

They do have every right and nothing against them. My anger goes more towards the PFBC for allowing them to do it.

Even at 3 fish I do not see too much harm. But this keeping 14inch Steelhead thing has to go.
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 13:23:27 (permalink)
 PFBC says "Let Them Grow - Unlike Pacific Salmon, Rainbow trout (steelhead), brown trout and Atlantic salmon are repeat spawners. Releasing these fish will provide them the opportunity to grow larger, improving future fishing opportunities for you and other anglers."

Then they give a 12 inch steelhead limit. I don't get it.

post edited by mike55 - 2018/10/31 13:24:46

Attached Image(s)

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 13:26:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fisherofmen376 2018/10/31 15:32:31
mike55

Not to mention large parts of elk got posted again. You know... Cause of all the garbage us anglers leave behind. Has to be "all the garbage"... Couldn't be the fact that people buy property and just like to be selfish.

Can I set up a bar-b-que in your yard?

Can I come in and watch TV in your house?

Can I use your vehicle?

If the answer is “no” then you are just buying something to be selfish.

If you want the access to private property, feel free to buy it, insure it, police it, and pay taxes on it.

Your fishing license does not include the privilege to trespass.

Full disclosure — I don’t own stream property in Erie.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 14:28:21 (permalink)
The steelhead size limit is 15" from the first weekend in September to the regular trout opener in April, when it's dropped to 9" like all other trout, and the limit goes up to 5.  

You'd think they could keep the size limit the same year round for steelhead (regardless of what size they settle on) but I guess there are enough anglers that can't tell the difference between a stocked brown trout and a steelhead smolt to know any better.  I would imagine in April there are quite a few smolts that make it into freezers as well.  

In the past couple years since I got a smoker, I keep 1 or 2 steelhead per trip usually.  Not always.  But they've got to be at least in the 22-24" range and pretty fresh looking.  I don't see any reason why the PFBC can't raise the size limit to upwards of 20" and lower it to 2 fish per day.  I'm a roper and smoker and I'd be just fine with that.  

I would imagine the rise in popularity of the bait shops in Erie offering smoked fish for trade ins has quite a bit to do with the frenzy to rope and smoke 3 fish as quickly as possible.  Did you ever go into Poor Richards close to closing time?  That place is a nut house with guys lined up to trade fish in.  No thanks, I'd rather know where my fish has been and how it's been handled.  

In regards to littering, I'm with ya mike55.  I just don't see it except for those days when I lose my senses and fish on Walnut.  

8-10 years ago on a local trout ditch near where I live, a landowner posted a small but nice stretch of water that got stocked pretty well, so of course the PFBC stopped stocking it.  I asked a WCO about it one day when I was near there, and he said the land owner was mad that the PFBC wouldn't help him pick up all the trash that got tossed by passing motorists and people dumping junk in the small parking areas, so he posted it.  Had nothing, or very little, to do with fishermen.  

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 15:30:46 (permalink)
DarDys
mike55

Not to mention large parts of elk got posted again. You know... Cause of all the garbage us anglers leave behind. Has to be "all the garbage"... Couldn't be the fact that people buy property and just like to be selfish.

Can I set up a bar-b-que in your yard?

Can I come in and watch TV in your house?

Can I use your vehicle?

If the answer is “no” then you are just buying something to be selfish.

If you want the access to private property, feel free to buy it, insure it, police it, and pay taxes on it.

Your fishing license does not include the privilege to trespass.

Full disclosure — I don’t own stream property in Erie.

Thank you!  How anyone can be arrogant enough to demand a landowner allow people to traipse thru their property from 6am-9pm EVERYDAY 9 months a year just to catch a fish is beyond me.  I've heard all the arguments about buying a license, publicly funded fish, make it navigable or nursery waters-spare me!  If someone spends their own money to buy a piece of property they can DO WHAT THEY WANT! "But I paid for those fish."  Uhhh, you mean the 32.50 for your license?  Ya think that's equivalent to the hundred's of thousands THEY paid to buy the home/land??!   Maybe it has nothing to do with litter-maybe they just want a little PRIVACY to raise their family and let the kids play in the water without seeing duuds peeing (or worse), snagging and shining flashlights near my home.  
Do I wish it was all open?  Heck yeah!  There's some beautiful water i usedta fish and some I never got a chance to...but it's shortsighted, selfish and incredibly arrogant to demand access to someone else's land just to go catch fish.  

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 15:37:34 (permalink)
And while I'm at it...Jeenee where yinz at???  
Member when you said "bet me" that the run was gonna be less this year?  And others were sayin it hadn't even really started yet because of warm temps?  Well, if you got back in the game you'd see that the run is not less this year....it's lookin very promising, just a little late (maabee epik).  Start a new page in yer notebook.  Nanny nanny boo boo!

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 15:52:00 (permalink)
Yeah and just to be clear I wasn't agreeing with the notion that people post their land cause they're selfish. But with the observation that littering is often cited as a big reason for land getting posted (and not just in Erie) when sportsmen really have very little to do with it.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 16:11:46 (permalink)
I was up to RT 5 today, and didn't see no stupid fish.  Solid rain and windy as heck in Erie today.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 16:59:13 (permalink)
BTDT were you fishing?  Walking the creeks or driving by?  Are you trying to say there are no fish and the run is bad?  Not still defending Jeenees prognostikayshuns are ya?  Cause i would beg to differ...and I ain't no trahht gawd neither! 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 17:32:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2018/11/01 00:50:45
Do released Pa. Steelhead actually return the next year ? .....Nobody really knows or they would post a percentage as to a study......maybe a slim few.

Do Steelhead make it thru ice laden shallow creeks with no food all winter trapped in holding holes ? .......Take a ride to Erie in Jan./Feb. and see the huge ice jams packed and stacked at 10 degrees temps and tell me what you think.

Do fish that are caught and released over and over make it ?

I haven't kept a Steelhead in many years, but I have no problem with the people that do, because I doubt that very many return just due to nature's ways on these shallow streams.

Walnut and Elk and the smaller tribs are so shallow with limited holding holes it's hard to believe many survive winter's fury....if they were actual deep rivers I'd say return survival would be much higher.  

genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 18:21:54 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
And while I'm at it...Jeenee where yinz at???  
Member when you said "bet me" that the run was gonna be less this year?  And others were sayin it hadn't even really started yet because of warm temps? 

nothing new under the sun, Kid
talk to me in a couple weeks when the water's clear

Lemmie know then

.L.T.A.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/10/31 19:12:45 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
BTDT were you fishing?  Walking the creeks or driving by?  Are you trying to say there are no fish and the run is bad?  Not still defending Jeenees prognostikayshuns are ya?  Cause i would beg to differ...and I ain't no trahht gawd neither! 

OH gosh no, I was on the East Bay Front Connector and seen a sign fir rt 5. Heard bout 5 so many times I thought I was crossin over a historical rt like 6 or is that 66, or sunset strip, or sumthin like that. What's a trout anyways? They good eaten?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: The Erie Fishing Diary 2018/11/01 01:05:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby genieman77 2018/11/01 05:55:36
mike55
 PFBC says "Let Them Grow - Unlike Pacific Salmon, Rainbow trout (steelhead), brown trout and Atlantic salmon are repeat spawners. Releasing these fish will provide them the opportunity to grow larger, improving future fishing opportunities for you and other anglers."

Then they give a 12 inch steelhead limit. I don't get it.

I'm guessing that very few, if any actually spawn, and smolts return.  
And as far as coming back, bigger?  That's a long shot too.  The only reason to release, realistically, is to give someone else the opportunity to catch the steelhead again.

"Documentation of successful natural reproduction in Pennsylvania is rare. Self-sustaining populations of Rainbow Trout are found only in a few scattered streams. "   From PA Fish and Boat Commission Website

I'd add very, very rare.   At least in the PA. creeks.   
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: