Youth Pheasant

Author
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points: 0
2018/10/06 20:03:14 (permalink)

Youth Pheasant

Took my son to a SGL for the opening day of youth pheasant with me playing dog. As we worked the first field we saw multiple birds running the lane ahead of my son but nothing flushing from me working the overgrown part of the feild, with about 60 yds of the feild left, a rooster ran across his lane into where I was working and I was able to put the bird up and his shot was true.

We then moved up the hillside to the next lane and I worked the next patch of brush back the way we came as we made it near the end of the field a hen and rooster took flight. He fired two shots at the rooster and the bird dropped from the sky in what appeared to be the lower brush we just worked. We looked through the brush with no sign of the bird, as I made my way back to the lower lane I notice the rooster laying in front of me about 5 yds away. I call my son over and go to pick up the bird, but not only is the **** thing alive, it flies away in a manner with no safe shot. Was a first for me as the bird appeared to have expired the way it was laying.

We then walked our way to the next patch of brush above the area we just worked and I was able to put two more roosters up, my son was able to knock one down. This time as we approached the bird, he made sure it wasn't going anywhere by putting another shot into it. Good morning to start the season.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

12 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/06 20:11:29 (permalink)
    Congrats to you and your son Moses. I enjoyed the read.

Bet there is one or two more stories of success and good times waiting to be told.

Hope we can read those too.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/07 08:12:59

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/07 07:03:33 (permalink)
    πŸ‘πŸ‘ looks and sounds like you guys had a good time. Congrats on your success.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/07 07:58:27 (permalink)
    Absolutely great! Congrats to your son. And you for taking him.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/07 10:15:20 (permalink)
    I read your post to my dog and he looked impressed with your birddogging. Then he spoiled the moment when he mentioned that he needed a good shot like that and was willing to trade me in. Congratulations the both of you, those are special times. 
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/07 19:21:24 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, we are going to give it a go again after school tomorrow, Hopefully I can get him some more shooting. The birds will be there
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/10 10:49:35 (permalink)
    Moses any updates on the pheasant hunting?

Those pics do tell a story us "old crows", enjoy hearing.

Right rsquared? πŸ˜• πŸŽƒ
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/10 10:51:18

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/10 15:15:34 (permalink)
    Made it out Monday after school, saw a lot of birds, too bad most were on the roads lol. I only put up one rooster which he missed. He hasn't made up his mind if he wants to pheasant or muzzleloader hunt for deer on Saturday yet, so not sure if we will be back out for the Jr season again.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/10 15:54:30 (permalink)
    Lol, Go figure, after you running through bushes and briers, playing bird dog and all ya really needed to do was take a leisurely stroll down the road. Stupid birds. πŸ˜„

About Saturday, deer in the morning and pheasant in the afternoon. Or the other way around..... priceless!! πŸ‘

We'll be waiting to hear.......πŸ˜‰

Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/13 15:52:37 (permalink)
    Well with the change in weather, I didn't feel like sitting in the office all day Friday n took a half day to pick my son up after school to go pheasant hunting again. Decided to work the small tree lines instead of larger patches of brush and it paid off. 4 flushes, 2 misses and two dead roosters in about 2 hours of hunting.

Today he wanted to give the birds another go early then would meet up with my dad to chase deer around with the muzzleloader. Worked the same areas as yesterday for the birds with zero flushes, was some more people in the fields today but didn't hear any shooting.

We then jumped in the truck for a short ride to meet my dad at a piece of public poperty that we have taken many deer off of over the years. My dad and son would be sitting on a hillside below a corn field above a very thick creek bottom that I be playing dog in at a spot that narrows down with good visibility. I would come from downstream to them then circle around the thicket and come from upstream.

As I started the downstream portion I saw a couple of tails going almost immediately in the right direction, as I kept walking waiting for the sound of a shot that never came and eventually made it back to them zero deer seen by the sitters. I then looped around the thicket upstream a few hundred yards and started beating the brush back to them, made it maybe 75 yds when the sound of a .50 Cal filled the valley. I finished off the drive and made it to my son and dad standing together. 3 doe came out of the drive and stopped at about 35 yds away. Both picked a deer and fired. My dad had a misfire, but my son connected. He knocked down the deer, it got up tried to make it's way back to the bottom. We went to where the shot was taken and had good blood which we followed about 50 yds to find her piled up.

Pretty good weekend for us, now the work starts with the butchering. No hero shots of the deer it wouldn't be a PG rated shot with the blood.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/13 21:28:57 (permalink)
    Your local PGC office might be interested in seeing that picture, gosh what a story it tells.  The deer hunt, another great story and congratulations to you, your dad and your son.  What great memories for all.

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/14 06:29:04 (permalink)
    I miss my days with my son who now lives east with his fiancΓ©. Cherish these times Mr. Moses Guthrie. Its really great reading your adventures, thank you for sharing. 
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Youth Pheasant 2018/10/15 04:25:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like another great weekend out with your son Moses. Congrats!
    Jump to: