Arthur 6/16 - 528 side

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/18 11:04:09 (permalink)

Arthur 6/16 - 528 side

So I had Thu/Fri off and I was going to go to Pymie and slay some giant crappies... and that didn't happen.  Because my Thursday trip (details in the Arthur thread) earned me a thorough sunburn on my legs and I was hurting Friday.  And then my wife gave me 6000 jobs so I ended up busting my hump all day in the garage.  AND I had to mow 2 acres of grass in long sleeves and pants.  Some vacation day, eh?  

Saturday we hit the 528 side nice and early.  I thought.  Got to the ramp shortly after 7am and the place was already a zoo.  Had to park in the second to last span under the bridge.  Those launches are SHALLOW!  Not sure how you're supposed to launch a boat there without putting half your truck in the water.  Tried 2 of the 4 (one coming and one going) and they were both flat and shallow.  Had to wade out to retrieve.  

Side story... some dude on 528 towing a bass boat stops on the road.  Car in front of me stops, I stop.  Wondering what the heck is going on when my buddy says "holy **** look at that bear!"  BIG black bear trundling along one of the fields.  And I mean big.  500+ no problem.  First time I've seen a big bear and it was a beauty.  

Back to fishing.  Headed up the MC arm dodging boats full of people everywhere.  And plenty of Bass dudes on Bass boats whipping the water.  Presumably for Bass.  Picked a meager few crappies off brush but they are gone for this year.  Gotta switch to your post spawn patterns, which for me is "don't find or catch crappie."  Picked up a baby channel, a couple pound channel and a big bullhead.  Couple mid level throwback wipers.  Bunch of wish_they_were_bigger bluegills.  Couple short bass, minnow eating POSs.  Handful of dink perch. 

All in all I prefer the 422 side still.  Might have to fish 528 earlier in the year, because there's a lot more cover and then switch back to 422 for the dog days.  I can see why people think there are no perch in Arthur worth catching though... wrong side of the lake.  Not sure why that is but the fish seem to know. 

Ended up with enough fillets for a dinner, and we had steady action of fish to reel in.  Fantastic day weather wise.  VERY low wind, especially for Arthur.  Overcast until noon or so, which was nice on my sunburn.  Portersville exit on 79N is closed next Sunday if you're heading up.  Have to get off at Seneca Valley and take 19N, or go to 422.  But they are repaving 79N before that 422 exit.  Real mess.  

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: